SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... Such rules of argument postulate that objective truth is beyond our grasp and all thinking is merely relative.
The relativity of what 'truth' means, is not at all beyond our grasp however.

Carl Emerson said:
Therefore I like to point out that at times that the facts of history do not always support our analysis of 'reality' because we have a flawed philosophical starting point.
It would also seem flawed to assume 'reality' itself is some form of absolute also, no?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... Following these 'rules' the Philosophy of Science requires all participants to hold an atheistic position.
Any Philosophy of Science should admit scientific thinking (at the very minimum)?

I personally don't see where one's religious beliefs (including Atheism) have anything to do with that?

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Any Philosophy of Science should admit scientific thinking (at the very minimum)?

I personally don't see where one's religious beliefs (including Atheism) have anything to do with that?
Atheism is a lack of a belief, not a religious belief.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Exactly, we have defined natural as examinable...

We have further been told to exclude such matters from debate.

Following these 'rules' the Philosophy of Science requires all participants to hold an atheistic position.
There is no consensus among philosophers about many of the central problems concerned with the philosophy of science, including whether science can reveal the truth about unobservable things and whether scientific reasoning can be justified at all.
(wikipedia)

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If there is, at this time, no credible alternative to speciation. Does that then mean that the concept of the evolution of species is therefore correct?
No, it just means that it has not yet been falsified.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes it does.

It is impossible to propose that any mutation can be a random mutation. The simple reason is that it is impossible to know if random events are even possible.

That kind of vocabulary (random) is not justified.
As used in science, the term "random" merely means "unpredictable." The definition I was taught was "Predictable by no known algorithm." --Sokolnikov & Redheffer (1958) The Mathematics of Physics and Modern Engineering.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Exactly, we have defined natural as examinable...

We have further been told to exclude such matters from debate.

Following these 'rules' the Philosophy of Science requires all participants to hold an atheistic position.
How so? Many devoutly theistic scientists hold to these rules as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The experimantal method postulated by Carl Popper deals with observable phenomena. This correctly defines the boundary of science. Carl Popper was a Christian.

The metaphysical is beyond the scope of scientific endeavour and rightly so.

This means science is the wrong tool to define the truth of the unseen.

Further as I have pointed out the Philosophy of science excludes absolutes from the rules of argument so participants are required to take an atheistic position.

This very much relates to ones religious persuasion.

Firstly because science by definition cannot comment on such matters.

Secondly because those within the discipline must confine their activities to matters non- metaphysical.

This is why venturing into the study of the 'paranormal' is no longer science.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
because there are forces at play that defy logic. For this reason evolution is not real because outcomes depend on more than what is physically seen.

That doesn't follow.

You can accept that "outcomes depend on more than what is physically seen" and still believe in theistic evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How then do you account for the victories of WW2 with Germany being superior in almost every measurable way - and the 6 day war with Israel being ridiculously outnumbered and under equipped.

Nazi Germany had the enormous disadvantage of being led by a madman.

And the outcome of the "6 day war" is not surprising to military historians.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's not true in the least. Most of the great scientists have been Christian; and today atheists are still a minority among scientists.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... Further as I have pointed out the Philosophy of science excludes absolutes from the rules of argument so participants are required to take an atheistic position.
Sorry Carl .. I can't see the consistency there.

Atheism denies the exist of a God, yes? That looks like a pretty big absolute to me .. especially given the lack of evidence for such an exclusion!

Agnosticism is very closely aligned with science .. (but not because of any posited philosophical assumptions, however).

Carl Emerson said:
Secondly because those within the discipline must confine their activities to matters non- metaphysical.
Whilst I might agree that science rejects metaphysics, it isn't because of some going-in belief. It is rejected because its untestable and thus categorised as being a belief.
Doing so, doesn't stop science from moving on and testing anything testable .. nor does science have anything to say about what is 'rejected' due to untestability.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nazi Germany had the enormous disadvantage of being led by a madman.

And the outcome of the "6 day war" is not surprising to military historians.

Do you disagree with what Pavel wrote...

I quote...

I will agree with Carl on Israel etc. If you look at battles, and wars etc. Israel was way way out numbered compared to Germany. Most of the time, on the Western front Germany was facing a 5:1 ratio against them on the ground, while Israel on the other hand was facing something like a 30:1 disadvantage in some of their battles. Israel was in a position where they had to do everything right, as well as have some luck / divine intervention, plus have lots of and lots of aid from the US.. to survive.

But the 30 to 1, ratio is very impressive. It is very hard defending something like a well built fortress with those kind of odds let alone a field of sand dunes.... which is what Israel managed to do.

Upvote 0