Do we have to get rid of worldy things that we love just as much as we love god?

Braydeno

Jan 24, 2017
bc, canada
✟15,138.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've always wanted a laptop since i was about 7, and i got junky laptops in the past which broke because they were cheap,.. anyways i got a free i7 quadcore a year or two ago because the screen was broken and its the first laptop ive gotten that can actually play moderate games but not graphically intense ones.. and it looks dope, so i kinda idolize it i think? or love it? god doesnt seem to be happy with me having it or wanting to go on it.. plus the verse where it says not to like/love worldy things or the fathers love is not in you, strikes me in this situation, its too hard to let go of, do i really have to get rid of it in order to move on as a christian? or just only use it as a tool and not for something that gratifies me? i have no option do i?

short question: do we have to get rid of worldy things that we love too much? i tbh think we all have worldy things that we love too much that we gotta let go of

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've always wanted a laptop since i was about 7, and i got junky laptops in the past which broke because they were cheap,.. anyways i got a free i7 quadcore a year or two ago because the screen was broken and its the first laptop ive gotten that can actually play moderate games but not graphically intense ones.. and it looks dope, so i kinda idolize it i think? or love it? god doesnt seem to be happy with me having it or wanting to go on it.. plus the verse where it says not to like/love worldy things or the fathers love is not in you, strikes me in this situation, its too hard to let go of, do i really have to get rid of it in order to move on as a christian? or just only use it as a tool and not for something that gratifies me? i have no option do i?

short question: do we have to get rid of worldy things that we love too much? i tbh think we all have worldy things that we love too much that we gotta let go of
Honestly, all this means is to not love them more than you love God. It doesn't mean you have to sell everything and just follow God with nothing on your back. God sent Jesus to die on the cross so we don't have to be that perfect. It's not like you are sinning by having materialistic things just don't get carried away with them.

It's hard to let go of because God hasn't called us to give it all up physically. He means spiritually don't let these materialistic things take over you and your relationship with God. The only thing He tells us to put away are materialistic things that are sinful. A laptop isn't sinful (yet it can be if used in the wrong way) but if you use it for the right reasons you are fine.

Upvote 0

Caliber81

Jun 4, 2017
Arizona
✟18,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello,
Lol. I was the same way when I became a believer. Personally IMO I would think it's okay just as long as it doesn't become more important than God. As well as it's not leading you into sin (inappropriate contentography, demonic activity, etc.). Was the same thing too when getting an iPhone. Had to be alert on certain music I download and websites I visit. But just pray before using it.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can have a laptop, nothing wrong with that. It becomes an idol if its causing you to stumble. For example you are looking at inappropriate content on it. Or if you use it so much that you would rather be on it late even if its means skipping church. Or maybe you just use it and skip church on sunday. Or if you don't bother praying or bible studying as much because your to busy with the laptop. Then it becomes an idol.

Realistically we love some things we own because its natural to enjoy them. I love my custom built PC. I love Chipotles. I love Pibb Xtra. I love my big tv. However I don't idolize them. If my house burnt down and I lost all of these things, sure I would be devastated, but I'd still have God and thats all that important. Well though to be fair there are important things you do need in thar situation like your ID, house papers, my hard drive. lol. My hard drive/backups are my life. From my important paperwork to medical records to records I keep.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The goal is to grow to love God more than worldly things.
This, i think, is a process that takes the rest of your life in the flesh.
So don't worry too much.
You acknowledge the problem, so you're on the right track.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Really it just comes down to your conviction on the issue. Do you feel that you can have a laptop without it standing between you and your Father? Is it more important to you than him? It all comes down to you, and Him. No one on this forum can answer that for you. We can give you guidance based on OUR walk with Him, but only you can know that for certain. Throughout my walk there've been things I've given up for that reason, that I've later picked back up as I grew in my faith and understanding, but it is what it is. Everyone's walk is different. If you feel you can keep it, and accept the good that He's allowed you to have, without it causing you to stumble, than yes. If not, ditch it. There are things you'll have to ditch along the way, but only you and Him know if that's one of them. Search deeply before you make any move, and realize that among His children, there was Solomon. The richest man at one point to have ever lived. Riches and things aren't always inherently bad, it's how you see them, and what you do with them that make them bad.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The Apostle Paul instructed us that while we're in the word we still have to deal with the world (although, not a part of it). The key, as you said, is to not be attached to them. God bless son :).

Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0