Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bells toll cheerily. The doors fling open and confetti swirls in the air as bride and groom emerge, all smiles and laughter. Waving goodbye, Cinderella and Prince Charming kiss as their carriage rides away into the sun.

The scene is one I can recall too easily. I’m one of those girls who grew up on Disney princess movies, rom-coms, and Jane Austen. Add to that my parents’ stable marriage, and it’s hardly surprising that as I matured, a good part of life’s focus was to find my happily ever after.

It took my first spectacular romance fizzling as quickly as it started for that dream to be turned upside down.

It took my first spectacular romance fizzling as quickly as it started for that dream to be turned upside down.

Although I had prayed and thought I was seeking God’s guidance, the breakdown of that relationship revealed how I had been too wrapped up in a superficial idea of love. All I saw was the allure of romance.

God had to reshape any thoughts I had about relationships, and the eventual marriage I longed for—helping me see what it looks like to glorify God in all I do, including relationships and marriage.

Since that first fizzled romance, I’ve learned a bit more about love, and these are some things I would tell my younger self:

1. It’s not about you—or what you want​

Continued below.