Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An article I ran across I thought some of you may be interested in.

’Homesteading,’ whatever exactly it is, runs deep in the American psyche and history. Vast stretches of our nation were settled through it. A great number of our forebears—and here I do not mean only settlers or pioneers but people living for generations in one place—lived, worked, and passed on a holding that is rightly called a homestead.

Today homesteading is much talked of, and indeed we might even call it a movement. This, I think, is a very good and telling reality. Clearly, as a society we are realizing we have lost something we need to recover. The tricky thing is to discern just what it is we’ve lost and then how, and also why, to get it back. Here it’s easy to miss the forest for the trees; or perhaps rather, to miss a certain way of life for the field on which it was once lived, and might, just might, be lived again.

The best proximate reason to homestead is to save our families. I don’t use the word ‘save’ lightly. Yet the reality is that our family life is not just threatened, it’s on life-support or even hospice in many places where it hasn’t already perished. I have seen too much and spoken with too many people to doubt the seriousness of our situation. But there is always a way forward.

I do not imply that ‘homesteading’ is some sort of quick fix. Far from it. Rather, I suggest that homesteading—rediscovered and most often reconfigured—can be a serious step, indeed perhaps the crucial concrete step, toward healing our families and homelife. This will necessarily be a principled and intentional process. The reality is that for the vast majority of us there is no other plausible way to do it. Were there functioning rural communitiesto which to turn the situation would be very different.

In their great book Rural Roads to Security(1939), Msgr. Luigi Liguti and John Rawe, S.J. sounded an alarm and made a clarion call for a return to the land. Their concern for and focus on the family was central:

Continued below.

Apr 5, 2024
Wiesbaden
✟518.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I totally agree, although we don't have the finances to buy land at the moment. The political and economic landscape here in Germany is not looking positive, so i've been thinking a lot about moving back to the States and finding somewhere to settle. In the meantime, we have a yard and a garden, so i'm making the best of it this spring. Tomorrow is get the garden together day, so you inspired me. God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I totally agree, although we don't have the finances to buy land at the moment. The political and economic landscape here in Germany is not looking positive, so i've been thinking a lot about moving back to the States and finding somewhere to settle. In the meantime, we have a yard and a garden, so i'm making the best of it this spring. Tomorrow is get the garden together day, so you inspired me. God Bless!
I’m glad it inspired you! God bless you as well. :)

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
A very task-oriented article, so I have to agree. Couples and children need to be able to work together in a marriage if even one person is task-oriented, otherwise the task-oriented person will think everyone else is frivolous and useless and have relationship existential crises.

As for gardening and land use, I think a small step adoption may be best, moving as much as you can away from supermarket food and toward home grown. For example, I’m making a wheeled garden cart for a raised garden bed because of how garden-unfriendly my area is. Known problems include windstorms, frost, rabbits, gophers, deer, and fire restrictions on growing anything close to the house that isn’t strictly approved as not being a fire hazard. So the idea would be to grow the plants far away from the house until harvest, then I can wheel the bed closer to the house to harvest efficiently. If there is frost or a storm, I can move the cart into our shed or garage until it passes.

Which is a case study that all land is not created equal. Living on gopher infested hilly land in a fire zone does not make homesteading a thing. I think the New York rooftop gardeners have it better, and any apartment dwellers who want to start a patio garden with potted plants should be encouraged.

Upvote 0