Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So are you saying there’s a time to do the opposite of what scripture says depending why we are doing it? My question. Would be who gets to decide when it’s ok or not ok to follow?
I'm saying you should read the Bible and pray.
Hos. 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

The most important thing is the knowledge of God. The religious leaders, who studied the written law for years, never received that. The law itself brings death.
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Even with speeding in city ordinances there are exceptions. Emergency vehicles break the posted speed. And the posted speed isn't set in stone. It may be 50mph, but you can get a ticket doing 15mph during certain conditions. Even the government expects you to use knowledge you've gain from living.
God is more merciful than humans. He always has been. Look at Cain, look at David; look at all of us. Most would expect if some crisis occurred and they were speeding towards help a human police officer would not only show mercy but give assistance. We have posted speeds, but they are to guide you. You can receive punishment for driving at any speed no matter what is posted. There are too many other variables to list. You are expected to use your head and your heart.
Jaywalking is illegal (crossing a street outside a crosswalk). If you are driving at the posted speed and a person runs out into the street, do you keep driving or do you stop? They are breaking the law, you are not. What if it is a child? An old person? Do you act different? Should you?
What if you're driving on a steep mountain road and your breaks go out? Your kids are in the backseat. There are sheer dropoffs on one side and high rocky mountains on the other. You're so focused on steering and downshifting you don't look at the speedometer. (It happened to me, you do look at the speedometer, but for this example let's say you don't) when you get to the sand bank you can crash into at the bottom would it cross your mind to do anything other than praise God?
Do you think He is going to say "remember that time you were busy praising me? Well, you didn't repent..."

Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love this question!

So many people on this forum tout their obedience as a prerequisite to salvation. So many people condemn homosexuality, divorce, and premarital sex, because they don’t do those things. Yet no one condemns speeding! No one condemns wasting electricity! No one condemns throwing plastic bottles into the ocean! The list is infinite!

All sin may not be equal in terms of its severity, but any sin disqualifies everyone from eternal life with God ... if they are relying on obedience.

You don’t think speeding is a sin? OK, the overwhelming vast majority of gays don’t believe being gay (acting on it) is a sin either. If you can rationalize speeding for whatever reason, why can’t they rationalize homosexuality?

If any question has ever pointed out the futility of salvation through perfect obedience versus the absolute necessity of relying on Jesus’ sacrifice alone, this one has.

** Don’t waste your time saying that I’m insinuating we are not required to be obedient, because I’m NOT saying that. We are required to be obedient, but 99% obedient still ain’t good enough**

I agree with you. All of us sin. But, I wouldn't compare speeding or littering to homosexuality. I would use something off the big 10. Lying or something. Everyone justifies those too. Heck, you can even just inform people the oral sex is also sodomy and watch their brain shut down.
On second thought, maybe speeding and littering might get through better. And I am by no means saying "get through" as anything other than I really hate seeing Christians calling other humans abominations. No human is. Sins are.

Upvote 0

LiquidCat

Nov 14, 2019
Warsaw
✟10,163.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the protestant point of view, please.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

When Romans was written rule of the goverment was to proclaim caesar as God or you die .
Doing that would be a sin also
so I guess if your understanding of Romans 13 is correct then you would sin no matter what u choose

see the flaw in your logic now ?

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually the lack of textual basis for speeders going to hell is what supports the distinction. Speeding cannot in any way be compared to someone who kills children or commits the unforgivable sin and goes to hell. The speeder obviously isn't someone doing evil.

This is like saying someone who plays the flute too loud at night should go to hell while his neighbor tortures his children by stabbing them with a knife.

God does not regard sin as humanity does. Humanity creates degrees of breaking the law and transfers their ideology to sin. To God sin includes breaking the law of the land per the OP's reference in Romans and practically any other act or thought which violates God's Way for us. To God, all sin is the same. "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." James 2:10 A gossiper or liar is also guilty of rape or murder in God's eyes, for example. All, any sin of any kind receives the SAME penalty from God, ETERNITY in HELL.
This fact is the basis for the saying, "The ground is level at the cross."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying you should read the Bible and pray.
Hos. 6:6 For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.

The most important thing is the knowledge of God. The religious leaders, who studied the written law for years, never received that. The law itself brings death.
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Even with speeding in city ordinances there are exceptions. Emergency vehicles break the posted speed. And the posted speed isn't set in stone. It may be 50mph, but you can get a ticket doing 15mph during certain conditions. Even the government expects you to use knowledge you've gain from living.
God is more merciful than humans. He always has been. Look at Cain, look at David; look at all of us. Most would expect if some crisis occurred and they were speeding towards help a human police officer would not only show mercy but give assistance. We have posted speeds, but they are to guide you. You can receive punishment for driving at any speed no matter what is posted. There are too many other variables to list. You are expected to use your head and your heart.
Jaywalking is illegal (crossing a street outside a crosswalk). If you are driving at the posted speed and a person runs out into the street, do you keep driving or do you stop? They are breaking the law, you are not. What if it is a child? An old person? Do you act different? Should you?
What if you're driving on a steep mountain road and your breaks go out? Your kids are in the backseat. There are sheer dropoffs on one side and high rocky mountains on the other. You're so focused on steering and downshifting you don't look at the speedometer. (It happened to me, you do look at the speedometer, but for this example let's say you don't) when you get to the sand bank you can crash into at the bottom would it cross your mind to do anything other than praise God?
Do you think He is going to say "remember that time you were busy praising me? Well, you didn't repent..."
I really do get it. And I understand that using what we call common sense seems to be a must. But my question is about where we draw the line? Common sense for me and for another may differ. I get that and I am ok with that. Where I get confused is when scripture makes very clear statements and we decide well Jesus couldn’t have actually meant what he said there. But who are we to decide what Jesus meant or didn’t mean? We are 100% adding our own opinions to Jesus teaching and calling it common sense. If we are being sincere we have to be able to admit that. A lot of the stuff Christians believe is not scriptural. We have made assumptions because what scripture says is either too confusing or we just flat don’t think it was meant in the way it was said. This way of thinking seems necessary but does scripture say this is allowed? Or are we assuming again. Thanks for giving me your take on this being kind. Always appreciated when I can ask questions and get some help seeing things differently. :)

Reactions: Nancy Hale
Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really do get it. And I understand that using what we call common sense seems to be a must. But my question is about where we draw the line? Common sense for me and for another may differ. I get that and I am ok with that. Where I get confused is when scripture makes very clear statements and we decide well Jesus couldn’t have actually meant what he said there. But who are we to decide what Jesus meant or didn’t mean? We are 100% adding our own opinions to Jesus teaching and calling it common sense. If we are being sincere we have to be able to admit that. A lot of the stuff Christians believe is not scriptural. We have made assumptions because what scripture says is either too confusing or we just flat don’t think it was meant in the way it was said. This way of thinking seems necessary but does scripture say this is allowed? Or are we assuming again. Thanks for giving me your take on this being kind. Always appreciated when I can ask questions and get some help seeing things differently. :)
You don't have to worry. You don't have to be afraid. God says it so many times. Trust Him. Trust He loves you.
I know it's hard. Who really loves anyone unconditionally? How do we believe God does that, especially knowing everything we do about ourselves. I wish we were completely honest with each other. I'd tell how when I was a kid i spent a couple of years practicing asking for forgiveness in case I got hit by a bus. See, I thought God was a bit stupid for giving us such an easy way out and I decided I wanted to sin when I grew up; which consisted of wearing high heels, dancing and kissing boys. I was afraid I would get hit by a bus before I said prayers, but I thought if I practiced asking forgiveness all the time so it would always be the first thing that came to my mind I'd be okay. Sigh. It's super embarrassing now. I thought I was smarter than God when I was 10 or 11.
I could go on and on and on, I bet we all could. And the questions! How is Friday to Sunday 3 days? It's in the story of David, when he wants to find out if Saul is plotting to kill him, it mentions both times so it's clear. It's how the days were counted. It took me a couple of years to find that.
Our faith isn't in ourselves. We're all over the place. I think if you focused so hard on your sin to catch every tiny one you'd miss out on loving other's. Maybe some people can do both, idk.

Upvote 0

danielmears

Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For brevity, I'll grant your scenario.

What about speeders who live in relatively rural areas where not driving above the speed limit poses zero risk?
God is love and faith is necessary to access the kingdom. Your heart is what matters to God, scripture tells us this. In Hebrew law a woman with an issue of blood was not allowed in public but when a woman with this condition by faith went and touched Jesus' garment knowing she would be healed the Christ did not chastise her about the law but told her that her faith had made her whole. Love God and one another, have faith, let God lead you, but don't let the small stuff condemn your heart!

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Another one.

Matt 23:14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.
And?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That is because no speedo is 100% accurate and neither is the device that measures your speed. Many speeding cases have been dismissed because the radar or whatever was not proven accurate.
I already said earlier that radar was not accurate. However the post to which I was replying said that the police allowed people to exceed the speed limit because of that. That is incorrect, the police are not doing that out of the goodness of their hearts. In the state where I used to live it was done because the courts ordered that they allow a 7 mph overage. It is a matter of court order, not because the police are allowing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?
One has nothing to do with the other. Paul makes it clear that the Gov does not carry the sword in vain. If people do wrong they can expect to get punished. "For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Romans13:4) Paul talks about how many are weak and sick. They are still saved. They are still going to heaven but they are not living the life we are called to live. (1cor11:30) Also there is a question of rewards and there are going to be people that suffer loss in that regard. We see this in the parable of the people that build on sand and not a solid foundation. The storm comes and their home is destoryed. (1Cor3:5) Although we do pray for God to protect us from the storms of life.

This is all a matter of public record and I look people up sometimes. My son got a parking ticket once in his moms car. That parking ticket is still on her record. I have a neice that got a ticket for speeding in a school zone. Now a days that is all a permanent part of their record that people can look at if you are applying for a job or wanting to rent an apartment.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the state where I used to live it was done because the courts ordered that they allow a 7 mph overage
The size of the tires can effect how accurate our speedometer is. I remember once there was a dwarf guy on TV that got arrested for having an alcohol blood level that was to high. He claimed the test was not accurate because he was a dwarf and not a normal sized person. He got away with it and the judge dismissed the charges.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sadly, some people would claim that they're equal sins.
They are equal in that any sin condemns you...
They are unequal in the punishment that man's laws will give you.

For God... there are only two types of people....

1/ Sinners... who have been bought and payed for with the blood of Christ and have become righteous in His sight.

2/ Sinners... who have rejected Christ. The unbelievers.... those who have no salvation due to their own choice.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It depends on how fast they are going, and where they are going to.
Most people won't feel the need to repent of speeding while driving someone to the hospital.
If you spend your life speeding to the next strip club though, you might have a problem.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok I see. Can you tell me where it explains this in scripture so I can look it up?
Have you not read the Bible cover to cover? The need for repentance is raised many times including
1 John 1:9 which tells us "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." and Luke 13:3 which says "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." Likewise Proverbs 28:13 tells us "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I already said earlier that radar was not accurate. However the post to which I was replying said that the police allowed people to exceed the speed limit because of that. That is incorrect, the police are not doing that out of the goodness of their hearts. In the state where I used to live it was done because the courts ordered that they allow a 7 mph overage. It is a matter of court order, not because the police are allowing it.
Agreed, but it was permitted for a couple of reasons, including the number of cases thrown out because of disputes over accuracy. Courts don't like wasting time.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Have you not read the Bible cover to cover? The need for repentance is raised many times including
1 John 1:9 which tells us "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." and Luke 13:3 which says "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." Likewise Proverbs 28:13 tells us "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."
There is a difference between confessing sin and repenting.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed, but it was permitted for a couple of reasons, including the number of cases thrown out because of disputes over accuracy. Courts don't like wasting time.
I don't dispute that. Again, the post to which I was originally responding said that the police were dropping these charges on their own. They weren't. The courts ruled that they had to allow a certain number of miles over the speed limit because radar is inaccurate.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,875.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I live in a city in 3rd world country where there's literally no posted speed limits in most places.

How do you deal with it?

I'm still waiting for your opinion here, @blackhole :D

What if your country doesn't have posted speed limits in many places??

Upvote 0