Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Noah took notice and changed to what everybody else was doing because his huge monstrosity of a boat was in people's way or causing an eyesore or making them look "bad" or labeled fanatical, the human race would have gone extinct with the flood. I sure am glad that ONE person had the guts and personal integrity to follow God and ignore everyone around him.

Reactions: blackhole
Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm still waiting for your opinion here, @blackhole :D

What if your country doesn't have posted speed limits in many places??

That's not what my thread is about, and I'm not going to derail it with that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
From the protestant point of view, please.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

Our salvation does not depend on our personal attempts at righteousness, but on the mercy and kindness of God which He shows us and gives us and rescues us in and through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who suffered, died, and rose again.

The question isn't how many sins can we remember in order to properly account them when we repent, because that's literally impossible. Even if we tried to write a list of all our daily sins down we would still fail to account for all the sins we aren't even aware of. So thankfully our salvation rests not upon us, but upon the Christ who gave His life for us that we might have peace and life with God.

The question is do we trust upon He who suffered and died for us, and if so, let us therefore fall on our knees and humbly repent because we are truly and indeed sinners; and because we are sinners we have this sure and certain word, "That God demonstrates His love toward us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us" and again, "If we confess our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Therefore let us boldly confess our sins, admitting our guilt, and now trusting in the Lord with even more boldness confess Him as Lord and Savior in whom and by whom we have every good gift from God. Even our everlasting salvation. To Him alone be all the glory now and always.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our salvation does not depend on our personal attempts at righteousness, but on the mercy and kindness of God which He shows us and gives us and rescues us in and through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who suffered, died, and rose again.

The question isn't how many sins can we remember in order to properly account them when we repent, because that's literally impossible. Even if we tried to write a list of all our daily sins down we would still fail to account for all the sins we aren't even aware of. So thankfully our salvation rests not upon us, but upon the Christ who gave His life for us that we might have peace and life with God.

The question is do we trust upon He who suffered and died for us, and if so, let us therefore fall on our knees and humbly repent because we are truly and indeed sinners; and because we are sinners we have this sure and certain word, "That God demonstrates His love toward us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us" and again, "If we confess our sins, then He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Therefore let us boldly confess our sins, admitting our guilt, and now trusting in the Lord with even more boldness confess Him as Lord and Savior in whom and by whom we have every good gift from God. Even our everlasting salvation. To Him alone be all the glory now and always.

-CryptoLutheran
Amen!

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,617.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

You would not last 3 seconds on a German road. We have no speed limits on large stretches of the Auto-Bahn. Driving fast on a beautiful day is a God given pleasure which makes my heart sing with praise and thanks.

Anyway you are talking about civil laws not moral ones. The basic principle is about respect for your fellow driver. On a dry sunny road with hardly any cars, the guy driving slow in the fast lane is a danger to himself and other drivers.

Upvote 0

Donovan1972

Jan 15, 2020
✟15,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

--------

You should fear God rather than man. Mans laws are and forever will be a snare to the righteous. Now I am not condoning speeding if it means one will put another in danger. However, there is way too much emphasis today put on blind obedience to earthly kings and governments. I can give you plenty of examples from scripture where God's people were in direct opposition to what ruling authorities were doing and stood to oppose them. Who were these higher authorities Paul was speaking of? Hebrews 13:17
"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."
At first glance just as in Romans 13 it may appear that the obvious answer would be the government is the one that has rule over me. But that is not at all who Paul was talking about. Just up ten chapters prior he clarifies who he is speaking of.
Hebrews 13:7
"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation"

He was talking about the elders not the government.

Upvote 0

Donovan1972

Jan 15, 2020
✟15,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should fear God rather than man. Mans laws are and forever will be a snare to the righteous. Now I am not condoning speeding if it means one will put another in danger. However, there is way too much emphasis today put on blind obedience to earthly kings and governments. I can give you plenty of examples from scripture where God's people were in direct opposition to what ruling authorities were doing and stood to oppose them. Who were these higher authorities Paul was speaking of? Hebrews 13:17
"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."
At first glance just as in Romans 13 it may appear that the obvious answer would be the government is the one that has rule over me. But that is not at all who Paul was talking about. Just up ten verses prior he clarifies who he is speaking of.
Hebrews 13:7
"Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation"

He was talking about the elders not the government.

Upvote 0

Donovan1972

Jan 15, 2020
✟15,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

--------

Sin is transgression of God's laws not mans laws. Jesus said your master is who you obey. In Acts the apostles said we should obey God rather than man. I guess if you believe that way you will be setting yourself up for the mark of the beast when the ruling authorities tell you to take it and God already said all who do will have their part in the lake of fire. Good luck!

Upvote 0