Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In the state where I used to live police using radar had to allow speeders 7 mph over the speed limit. That is because radar has been shown to be inaccurate. That did not apply to other means of speed detection.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In the state where I used to live police using radar had to allow speeders 7 mph over the speed limit. That is because radar has been shown to be inaccurate. That did not apply to other means of speed detection.
Most people in Ontario assume that you can do 10 km/h over... Not only is radar shown to be inaccurate but the speedometer in your car may be off by a bit too. Then, you put your snow tires on and your guessing again...

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where will they have to make "restitution" and what would that "restitution" be like?
Here on earth they will pay a hefty fine if they just get a ticket. If they end up in an accident, they will have to pay the fine for reckless driving and probably jail time and most likely will be sued by the victims. If they kill some one they would go to jail for involuntary manslaughter not to mention the civil lawsuit that provides restitution to the victims. Its a mess, so best not to drive at unsafe speeds.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Most people in Ontario assume that you can do 10 km/h over... Not only is radar shown to be inaccurate but the speedometer in your car may be off by a bit too. Then, you put your snow tires on and your guessing again...
Very true. It has been many years since I last put snow tires on a car, but in Canada I'm sure they are needed!

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not ever sinning is not a mark of being saved. People who come to Jesus are often broken, with many deep rooted attitude problems that don't just go away. Some people have learned to lie to protect themselves from abuse. Some steal because they are in poverty. Some are full of unforgiveness (a much deeper problem than speeding or even lying). God is patient with us. He knows why we are the way we are, not just what we do. He will clean us up. Christians who are impatient with the progress of others have to be aware that they themselves are far from perfect.

It is not OK to continue in sin, but it's not our business to change people. That's God's job. The Word of God convicts and the Life of Christ within delivers. It's not even our business to change ourselves. There is church discipline when a believer gets totally out of hand, but it has to be in love and led by the Spirit.
Again I get what your saying. I’ve seen a a person or two on the forum say they have gotten to perfection and no longer sin ever lol. That’s awesome for them but I have to admit I’m not one of those perfect ones honestly.... but my only question is about how others may feel if it’s ok for some to speed, another may feel it’s ok to lie and another may feel it’s ok to cheat and another may feel it’s ok fornicate and so on. If it becomes a point that we get to decide when and where it’s ok to do things that God said wasn’t ok then we leave it open to interpretation by each individual and we know what scripture says about individual interpretation

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't label anyone a non-Christian for speeding. But it does call into question whether or not he is a serious Christian.

It also matters what we are talking about when we say "speeding." If the speed limit is 60 and you drift up to 65 on an open stretch of road, that's one thing, but if you routinely drive in a way that is likely to cause a crash, in a way that deliberately endangers another person's wellbeing...that cannot be right to do.
These distinctions are not made in scripture. I 100% see your point but can’t this be problematic if we start filling in the blanks where scripture isn’t so clear? Wouldn’t it be best to say scripture says it’s a sin and maybe God will look at it differently and maybe he won’t. Speed limit is 60 but you can drive 65. That isn’t true. I guess my question would be is there a such thing as taking scripture too seriously? And if so who gets decide when this applies? Thanks

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have found in some places (cough Cross Bronx Expressway and just about every highway around and road in Houston) that sometimes, going over the speed limit is necessary for defensive driving. Why? When I see two cars in front of me on a highway with a speed limit of 70, and both drivers heads are on their smartphones going 55, I find avoiding an accident by pushing up to 75 or 80 to get around them before they cause a crash is necessary.
Just because you find it necessary does it mean it’s not sin? If a person finds it necessary to steal is that not sin?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because you find it necessary does it mean it’s not sin? If a person finds it necessary to steal is that not sin?
Avoiding an accident is not stealing. Not even close.

Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If a person needs advice on the sin of speeding and breaking the law then obviously the Holy Spirit is speaking to that person and knows the answer already. Listen to the small still voice.

Your crystal ball has failed; quit making assumptions and stick to the topic. I don't speed, and it has never been an issue for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Here on earth they will pay a hefty fine if they just get a ticket. If they end up in an accident, they will have to pay the fine for reckless driving and probably jail time and most likely will be sued by the victims. If they kill some one they would go to jail for involuntary manslaughter not to mention the civil lawsuit that provides restitution to the victims. Its a mess, so best not to drive at unsafe speeds.
Oh OK. thanks for clearing up my question.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From the protestant point of view, please.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

I see what your saying but, wouldn’t this be looking back to obedience of the law for justification?

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the protestant point of view, please.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

Some of yall don't understand grace. I just remembered I made an illegal u-turn a week or so ago. On that trip, I also went over the speed limit multiple times, to keep with the flow of traffic. Now, does that mean I have to remember and confess every single time I broke the law of the land?
Have I been under condemnation and bound for hell for a week because I didn't confess these violations? Truth is, they never even crossed my mind in the context of asking God to forgive them. I had plenty of more worrisome sins to confess.
If we lose our salvation every time we break the law, every Christian that travels to work loses their salvation every morning.

• Winner
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do speeders go to hell?

Bible tells:

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

I think it speedster is not necessarily unrighteous and therefore I wouldn’t say speedsters go automatically to hell. :)

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd sell my car first.
I get it. You don’t wanna say it’s ok to steal. That’s why I initially asked the question... but if it’s ok that we as individuals get to decide when we see fit to push the limits of sin we can’t make that exception only for ourselves, we must allow others to make that exception and apply it when they see fit also. I’ve realized from the first time I joined this forum that it’s rare for people to say they are wrong or they don’t know do I see why you won’t answer my question. Just hope you know my goal is to further my understanding of scripture and why others believe what they believe as opposed to trying to be the one who proves a point.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some of yall don't understand grace. I just remembered I made an illegal u-turn a week or so ago. On that trip, I also went over the speed limit multiple times, to keep with the flow of traffic. Now, does that mean I have to remember and confess every single time I broke the law of the land?
Have I been under condemnation and bound for hell for a week because I didn't confess these violations? Truth is, they never even crossed my mind in the context of asking God to forgive them. I had plenty of more worrisome sins to confess.
If we lose our salvation every time we break the law, every Christian that travels to work loses their salvation every morning.
So I’m trying to understand according to scripture does God look at all sin equally? You said much more worrisome sins? Is that scriptural or is that just you personally feel one sin is worse than another? I’m only asking because I was under the impression sin is sin. I’m genuinely interested in understanding how you or anyone else views this so please don’t take it the wrong way.

Upvote 0