Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the protestant point of view, please.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?
When we are in Christ and he in us we are implicitly forgiven, even before we ask (or even if we don't ask)

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A new audio recorded voice will be installed in all new cars and trucks in 2023 stating.

Warning -- too many unrepentant tickets will probably send you to the hot place forever.

Drive at your own risk
and it's a big one!

M-Bob

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?
In this case a person should obey the government. Speeding increased the incidence of fatal accidents due to terminal velocity.
Driver Care - How Speeding Affects Accident Impact - Automotive Fleet

Some people went to death, injury and destruction in a hurry.

If a government banned Christianity, should you ignore Romans 13?

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the textual basis for your distinction?
Conduct prohibited by laws is either "malum in se" (wrong in itself) or "malum prohibitum" (wrong only because it is prohibited). Driving 65 mph in a 60 mph zone is malum prohibitum. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about driving 65 mph. However, speeding laws theoretically have as their foundation the notion that the maximum speed is what is safe and prudent for the driver, his or her passengers, and other motorists. So intentionally flaunting the speeding laws does have a moral dimension. Persistently putting oneself and others at risk by exceeding the posted speed limits could constitute sin. Driving 75 mph to the hospital in an emergency would not, since there is nothing wrong or immoral per se about driving 75 mph.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So would it be correct to say that someone else’s issue is lying instead of speeding. Can the also claim to be saved even while lying as much as you were previously speeding?
Not ever sinning is not a mark of being saved. People who come to Jesus are often broken, with many deep rooted attitude problems that don't just go away. Some people have learned to lie to protect themselves from abuse. Some steal because they are in poverty. Some are full of unforgiveness (a much deeper problem than speeding or even lying). God is patient with us. He knows why we are the way we are, not just what we do. He will clean us up. Christians who are impatient with the progress of others have to be aware that they themselves are far from perfect.

It is not OK to continue in sin, but it's not our business to change people. That's God's job. The Word of God convicts and the Life of Christ within delivers. It's not even our business to change ourselves. There is church discipline when a believer gets totally out of hand, but it has to be in love and led by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

doctorwho29

May 20, 2011
Belton, TX
✟139,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A Christian is covered by the blood of Jesus and all sins past, present, and future, are forgiven. The Bible makes that clear. Sometimes we still struggle with overcoming, or even accepting as wrong, certain actions because we're human but the New Testament never makes any exceptions on salvation.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

--------

I don't believe any Christian is going to hell for any single act.

If someone consistently seems to drive above the speed limit do they even know it may be against our Christian faith to not be in obedience to state imposed dictates? If someone doesn't understand certain aspects of the faith they may not see anything wrong in what they do...

Our faith is not, however, in our works it's in His for our salvation, so I think you'd need far more than driving a little faster than the posted speed limit to say someone might be outside of faith.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

--------

Yes, speeders go to hell.

So do people who don't make complete stops, fail to use turn signals, who don't claim the $200.00 that their aunt paid them to put up a fence as income.

Even little old ladies that go in the exit door at Walmart.

These things are not things that "send you straight to hell" as some people will claim about some things that are considered to be heinous sins.

No one sin is so bad that it "sends you to hell in a hand basket.. Here's why:

We all are sinners and as such our eternal home will be hell. We begin life on the "highway to hell" do to the fact that none of us are righteous. None of us are without sin... So... we are damned.

The only thing that will save us is the work of Jesus Christ and our calling on Him and His name for salvation.

So... Yeah... speeders go to hell.... they also go to heaven.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I guess the punishment would be eternal bumper to bumper traffic.

Anyone that has driven on the Don Valley Parkway.....in Toronto.... is already in that hell.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't label anyone a non-Christian for speeding. But it does call into question whether or not he is a serious Christian.

It also matters what we are talking about when we say "speeding." If the speed limit is 60 and you drift up to 65 on an open stretch of road, that's one thing, but if you routinely drive in a way that is likely to cause a crash, in a way that deliberately endangers another person's wellbeing...that cannot be right to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

--------

If in fact the speeder is a true Christian he is still saved. He is, at the moment, "quenching" the Holy Spirit. God would want us to obey the speed laws and my guess the speeder knows that as well, he is just not listening. Ultimately, there will be a high price to pay. The consequences can be devastating to the driver and to others. And when that day comes, he will repent and will have to make restitution. The secular law is a good one! So best to avoid the inevitable.
Blessings

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have found in some places (cough Cross Bronx Expressway and just about every highway around and road in Houston) that sometimes, going over the speed limit is necessary for defensive driving. Why? When I see two cars in front of me on a highway with a speed limit of 70, and both drivers heads are on their smartphones going 55, I find avoiding an accident by pushing up to 75 or 80 to get around them before they cause a crash is necessary.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about speeders who live in relatively rural areas where not driving above the speed limit poses zero risk?
If a person needs advice on the sin of speeding and breaking the law then obviously the Holy Spirit is speaking to that person and knows the answer already. Listen to the small still voice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a person needs advice on the sin of speeding and breaking the law then obviously the Holy Spirit is speaking to that person and knows the answer already. Listen to the small still voice.

True, if I'm spending some time debating whether sin or not -- it is probably a sin.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't label anyone a non-Christian for speeding. But it does call into question whether or not he is a serious Christian.

It also matters what we are talking about when we say "speeding." If the speed limit is 60 and you drift up to 65 on an open stretch of road, that's one thing, but if you routinely drive in a way that is likely to cause a crash, in a way that deliberately endangers another person's wellbeing...that cannot be right to do.
As I am in the second half century of my life... I have learned that going even 5 mph faster... won't add up to a lot of saved time. Unless your driving a significant distance.

However, I usually find the speed of the flow of traffic and blend in. Drivers going slower of faster are usually the hazard....

BUT... if you are sitting at a red light, in the left lane... and when the light goes green...you flip on your left turn signal...... there should be a special kind of punishment for you.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If in fact the speeder is a true Christian he is still saved. He is, at the moment, "quenching" the Holy Spirit. God would want us to obey the speed laws and my guess the speeder knows that as well, he is just not listening. Ultimately, there will be a high price to pay. The consequences can be devastating to the driver and to others. And when that day comes, he will repent and will have to make restitution. The secular law is a good one! So best to avoid the inevitable.
Blessings
Where will they have to make "restitution" and what would that "restitution" be like?

Upvote 0