South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All sin is equal in God’s eyes according to the scripture.

Another one.

Matt 23:14 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Imagine someone who drives 10 over the limit literally almost always, and this causes traffic problems: he breaks away from the group, so that other people don't have an opening to merge onto the road, and causes other issues as well. It is a safety hazard, but more so it's simply making things difficult for other drivers.

He does this for his entire life. Does this speeder go to hell?

Even if there is no speeder, there are times you'll be the one breaking that opening into the merge instead of the driver in front of you.

Isn't the merging technique basic for all? Simply match the speed of the vehicles you're merging into. Floor it if you have to.

It's the same technique about changing lanes. It can be so tight but as long as you're matching the speed of the lane you're going, you should only watch the vehicle at your front.

No one will ram you on the back unless they deliberately did it by flooring it.

Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gottit. It was hiding.

No, you cannot fairly say that. Suppose a person had been saved for a year or so and died speeding?

But God's judgement is firstly, are you born again. If you are, you are already in heaven (Ephesians 2:6). God identifies us in Christ. Either you are in Christ or you are not.

1) I explained the scenario as someone who speeds for their entire lives; to reduce it to a single year is a fabrication that avoids the issue.

2) But we can't know that someone is truly converted. So then is the unrepentant speeding sufficient evidence that the person was never converted?

Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if there is no speeder, there are times you'll be the one breaking that opening into the merge instead of the driver in front of you.

Isn't the merging technique basic for all? Simply match the speed of the vehicles you're merging into. Floor it if you have to.

It's the same technique about changing lanes. It can be so tight but as long as you're matching the speed of the lane you're going, you should only watch the vehicle at your front.

No one will ram you on the back unless they deliberately did it by flooring it.

This isn't a conversation about driving techniques. It's about whether someone who unrepentantly breaks the speed law, even at the expense of others, can be thought to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I still believe the purpose of speeding laws to to maintain a safe roadway for all. We all know of "speed traps" where the posted speed is considerably less than the natural speed that the least capable driver would drive. For example, in my city there are roads that have a posted speed of 30 mph that have identical driving conditions as the roads they connect to that have a speed limit of 45. The speed is what it is just because of ordinances made probably 70 years ago. An 80 year old driver would not drive 30 on these roads. There is no justifiable reason for the speed limit.

So, in this case, the only reason to drive the speed limit is to keep from getting a ticket.

In my opinion, a person driving perfectly safe but taking the extra five mile per hour most law enforcement agencies grant drivers is obeying the intent of the law even if they are not following the letter of the law. But having said that, if you are taking the five in a school zone then all bets are off. Then you are driving unsafely and deserve the ticket, and being called a sinner.
This seems like quite the issue here. So basically we just all get to have “our” opinion on matters regardless of what scripture says. A police officer absolutely can give a ticket for going 5miles over regardless if it’s in a school zone or not So in your opinion one is sin the other is not. Do you base your assumption off of scripture or is it just what sounds like makes most sense to you?

Reactions: blackhole
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gottit. It was hiding.

No, you cannot fairly say that. Suppose a person had been saved for a year or so and died speeding? I am not saying that anyone should break the law of the land. But God's judgement is firstly, are you born again. If you are, you are already in heaven (Ephesians 2:6). God identifies us in Christ. Either you are in Christ or you are not.

If indeed you are in Christ, then the work of deliverance begins. God wants to set us free from sinful attitudes, sinful ways and all that hinders our life and witness. It is a process, not instant. Some wrong ways can take decades to change. God usually works entirely differently from what we might expect. For example, the spiritual man I ever knew was a smoker when I met him. I was bewildered by this. How could he? The Lord rebuked me for judging him. Eventually he quit. But God had a purpose in that weakness. As an aside, Charles Spurgeon smoked cigars all his life. (I can't stand the smell of cigars).

Anyone who is born again does not want to sin. Anyone who says that they do not sin is kidding themselves. The real issues God wants to deal with are internal, not external. He deals with pride, rebellion, stubbornness and independence as priorities. How that works in practice depends on the individual. Confession: I am a leadfoot. If I get the opportunity I will drive as fast as I legally can. I used to speed all the time. The Lord caused me to come to the place where I obeyed the speed limit. I was born again when I was speeding. I am just as born again now that I obey the law.
So would it be correct to say that someone else’s issue is lying instead of speeding. Can the also claim to be saved even while lying as much as you were previously speeding?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do speeders go to hell?

Not unless they reject God, and continue to reject God and eternal life.

Romans 13 commands us to obey the government.

I don't see that as a command.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

As I don't think Romans 13 is a command from God, that doesn't apply.

I know you're asking about speeding, but if your government ordered you to give up worshipping God, would you still quote Romans 13 and say that we are commanded to obey the government?

If a Christian is constantly done for speeding, gets tickets, points on their licence etc, and continues to do it, time after time; that doesn't mean they don't have faith and eternal life. But it would be reasonable to question their love and care for others since they were constantly putting others' safety at risk.

Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This seems like quite the issue here. So basically we just all get to have “our” opinion on matters regardless of what scripture says. A police officer absolutely can give a ticket for going 5miles over regardless if it’s in a school zone or not So in your opinion one is sin the other is not. Do you base your assumption off of scripture or is it just what sounds like makes most sense to you?
In this case we have to consider the intent of the law. The intent of the law is safe roads. Truthfully, lawmakers know that the average person will drive a little over the speed limit, so they set the speed limit lower than they believe is necessary. So if the posted speed limit is 30 mph, the actual enforced speed limit is 35 mph. In my area of the country that is the case. But, having said that, if you drive 15 mph over the speed limit you move up to the next category of fines. So, 15 over is the absolute speed limit. You are pretty much guaranteed a ticket if caught if you drive 15 over.

Now a friend from Australia told me that in the area of Australia he was from the speed limits were camera enforced and if you drove 1 or 2 km over, you would get a ticket in the mail. With that being the case there, the lawmakers setting the speed limit would be more likely to set the limit where they wanted it to be. Over there, they would not assume everyone sped a little.

The driver who is sinning is the one who is causing unsafe driving conditions for himself and/or others. The speed limit is just one consideration one should take to determine what the safest way to drive is for that particular road. In my opinion, the safest driving speed is usually the speed that flows with the rest of the traffic, whether that is under or over the posted speed limit.

Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The driver who is sinning is the one who is causing unsafe driving conditions for himself and/or others. The speed limit is just one consideration one should take to determine what the safest way to drive is for that particular road. In my opinion, the safest driving speed is usually the speed that flows with the rest of the traffic, whether that is under or over the posted speed limit.

And yet we get punished by speed traps or officers who have a quota to fulfill, if we take your advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are born separated from God and headed to hell. We are saved when we repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

So speeding does not affect our eternal state.

Possibly violating the laws of the state will increase an unsaved person's torment in hell. And a saved Christian in heaven won't be punished for speeding (or any sins) but their reward may be (slightly) less than if they had obeyed the speed limit.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In this case we have to consider the intent of the law. The intent of the law is safe roads. Truthfully, lawmakers know that the average person will drive a little over the speed limit, so they set the speed limit lower than they believe is necessary. So if the posted speed limit is 30 mph, the actual enforced speed limit is 35 mph. In my area of the country that is the case. But, having said that, if you drive 15 mph over the speed limit you move up to the next category of fines. So, 15 over is the absolute speed limit. You are pretty much guaranteed a ticket if caught if you drive 15 over.

Now a friend from Australia told me that in the area of Australia he was from the speed limits were camera enforced and if you drove 1 or 2 km over, you would get a ticket in the mail. With that being the case there, the lawmakers setting the speed limit would be more likely to set the limit where they wanted it to be. Over there, they would not assume everyone sped a little.

Ok I get what your saying 100%. But my question is where does one get the authority to say the intentions of other people and change scripture according to their assumptions? If scripture says (A) is sin what gives anyone a right to break that down to mean something other than what it says because we think it’s fits better?

Upvote 0

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am just dealing with the question of sin. Financial wisdom is another topic. :oncomingpolice:

My point is that those who uphold the law do not agree with your reasoning, which is evidenced by tickets being given in those cases.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are born separated from God and headed to hell. We are saved when we repent and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

So speeding does not affect our eternal state.

Possibly violating the laws of the state will increase an unsaved person's torment in hell. And a saved Christian in heaven won't be punished for speeding (or any sins) but their reward may be (slightly) less than if they had obeyed the speed limit.
Does lying affect the eternal state? What about fornication or adultry? Is sin all equal in Gods eyes?

Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the protestant point of view, please.

And 1 John 2:3-4 says: Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?

Two books, one answering your question, the other is questioning your question.

John 6
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
...... I'm going to skip a bit....
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

And also Matthew 12
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Two books, one answering your question, the other is questioning your question.

John 6
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
...... I'm going to skip a bit....
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

And also Matthew 12
1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
So are you saying there’s a time to do the opposite of what scripture says depending why we are doing it? My question. Would be who gets to decide when it’s ok or not ok to follow?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This isn't a conversation about driving techniques. It's about whether someone who unrepentantly breaks the speed law, even at the expense of others, can be thought to be a Christian.

I live in a city in 3rd world country where there's literally no posted speed limits in most places.

How do you deal with it?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From the protestant point of view, please.

--------

So then can we fairly say that if someone is a speeder and they don't repent, and they do this for their entire lives, that they are not Christian -- even if they claim to be?
According to Jesus in the gospel, the way you judge others is the way you will be judged, are you concerned that a minor infraction invalidates the work of Jesus on the cross?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

That may be a stretch there
but, if one is not trusting in Christ alone
there will be an unhappy ending.
M-Bob

Upvote 0