Do Protestants believe in the Ten Commandments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Sabbath is everyday?

Sorry, scripture disagrees.
Sorry, but scripture does agree! Or is it just that some christians do not want to spend that much time on the word?.......everyday?

There is a moment-by-moment Sabbath for the Church Age. In the Church Age we do not have a Saturday Sabbath. That didn’t work too well, the Jews didn’t learn anything from it. So in the Church Age, since every believer is a priest, God beefed it up. He gave us a moment-by-moment Sabbath, the faith-rest technique. This is also a principle by which the believer enters into the supergrace life. So the moment-by-moment Sabbath or the faith-rest technique (rest in the Lord) is the growing stage, and then the annual Sabbath - taking a Sabbatical year — is supergrace (maximum doctrine resident in the soul of believers only through everyday learning and applying His word).

7. Illustrations of the moment-by-moment Sabbath or the dynamics of faith-rest. a) Abraham in Romans 4:17-21; b) Moses at the Red Sea — Exodus 14:10-14; c) The bones of Joseph in Hebrews 11:22; d) Caleb and the giants - Numbers 13 and 14 cf. Joshua 14:6-14; 15:14; Judges 1:20.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟13,683.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but scripture does agree! Or is it just that some christians do not want to spend that much time on the word?.......everyday?

Erm, that's technically not what the Sabbath day is.

Nothing about studying scripture in Exodus 20.

There is a moment-by-moment Sabbath for the Church Age. In the Church Age we do not have a Saturday Sabbath. That didn’t work too well, the Jews didn’t learn anything from it. So in the Church Age, since every believer is a priest, God beefed it up. He gave us a moment-by-moment Sabbath, the faith-rest technique. This is also a principle by which the believer enters into the supergrace life. So the moment-by-moment Sabbath or the faith-rest technique (rest in the Lord) is the growing stage, and then the annual Sabbath - taking a Sabbatical year — is supergrace (maximum doctrine resident in the soul of believers only through everyday learning and applying His word).

7. Illustrations of the moment-by-moment Sabbath or the dynamics of faith-rest. a) Abraham in Romans 4:17-21; b) Moses at the Red Sea — Exodus 14:10-14; c) The bones of Joseph in Hebrews 11:22; d) Caleb and the giants - Numbers 13 and 14 cf. Joshua 14:6-14; 15:14; Judges 1:20.

And sorry, none of those Scriptures talk about everyday being the Sabbath.

In the Church Age we do not have a Saturday Sabbath. That didn’t work too well, the Jews didn’t learn anything from it.

Neither did Deuteronomy 6:5 (Love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul and strength) and Levticius 19:18 (Love your neighbour as you love yourself), yet I doubt you have anything against those OT comands, do you? :)

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
"One day at a time" concept in the Christian way of life (Rom.
14:5,6).

Taking in doctrine daily (Psa. 119:97),
in every twenty-four-hour period.

The doctrine of a day at a time​

1. The believer with the maximum doctrine and supergrace life learns to regard every day alike — Romans 14:5,6. He regards every day as from the Lord, it is a grace gift given to him as an assignment, as part of an allotment. The purpose of that day is to purchase it with Bible doctrine.

2. Only the believer has the grace provision to purchase that day — Ephesians 5:15-18. The supergrace life gives perfect purchase of every day. John 14:26; 16:12-14; 1 Corinthians 2:9-16.

3. Every day we as believers in phase two live that day as a gracious gift from God. The only time we possess in which we can honour God is the number of days God has graciously provided for us in time — Psalm 90:12; James 4:13-15.

4. The fact that the believer lives another day on the earth is a sign of divine grace and faithfulness — Lamentations 3:22,23.

5. God has provided soul capital in the form of Bible doctrine for the believer to purchase each day — Jeremiah 15:16; Matthew 4:4.
6. Every day, therefore, becomes a special day in phase two — John 11:9,10.

7. Each day in phase two the believer must avoid mental attitude sins which produce self-induced misery — Proverbs 27:1. These same mental attitude sins characterise reversionism, especially those stages including 4, 5, 6. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 cf. Psalm 102:1-3.

If you still don't believe this then THAT is between you and the Lord. I do not know how? anyone? can learn anything from a pastor ONLY one day a week......this is also common sense. But I know there are many lazy pastors and christians out there. Selah!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟13,683.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"One day at a time" concept in the Christian way of life (Rom.
14:5,6).

Taking in doctrine daily (Psa. 119:97),

in every twenty-four-hour period.

If you still don't believe this then THAT is between you and the Lord. I do not know how anyone can learn anything from a pastor ONLY one day a week......this is also common sense. But I know there are many lazy pastors and christians out there. Selah!

I never said anything against studing scripture daily - but studing scripture isn't what the Sabbath is.

I have no issue with your "daily doctrine" thingy, but that isn't what the Sabbath is, sorry.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are in the OT, this is the church age.
Uhmmm actually the thread is about the 10 Commandments, and how we Protestants are required to attend Church on Sunday, otherwise we aren't obeying the 10 Commandments. It's been pointed out to the thread starter that the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments is on Saturday not Sunday. I have taken the position that my salvation isn't based on where I sit on Sunday but where my heart is, during the rest of the week. I try and keep every day holy, not just one day. :)
tulc(if we're going to discuss something, we should know what the other persons position is) ;)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So in the Church Age, since every believer is a priest, God beefed it up. He gave us a moment-by-moment Sabbath, the faith-rest technique. This is also a principle by which the believer enters into the supergrace life. So the moment-by-moment Sabbath or the faith-rest technique (rest in the Lord) is the growing stage, and then the annual Sabbath - taking a Sabbatical year — is supergrace (maximum doctrine resident in the soul of believers only through everyday learning and applying His word).

...uhmmm any chance of repeating this in normal English? I mean I think I get what you're saying but the "religious-speak" is a little confusing. :sorry:
tulc(just trying to understand) :)

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Uhmmm actually the thread is about the 10 Commandments, and how we Protestants are required to attend Church on Sunday, otherwise we aren't obeying the 10 Commandments. It's been pointed out to the thread starter that the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments is on Saturday not Sunday. I have taken the position that my salvation isn't based on where I sit on Sunday but where my heart is, during the rest of the week. I try and keep every day holy, not just one day. :)
tulc(if we're going to discuss something, we should know what the other persons position is) ;)
You live your own life as unto the lord, I cannot live it for you. Like I said we are in the church age, NO 10 comm......this is the dispensation of Grace.

Grace replaced the law. If you still live under the law, God say's you will never be able to fullfill it.

Mosaic Law.........

Paul takes one aspect of the Mosaic Law and beats the Galatians over the head with it.

1~~ O stupid/asinine Galatians!
Who has hypnotized you?
Before whose eyes {the mind's eye of the Galatians}
Jesus Christ has been publicly displayed crucified among you!
Then starting at 3:10 Paul explains that if you want to
stay "under the law" you continue to be cursed by the law. And,
that seems to be the status of your friends:
10~~ For as many as are
under the works of the law
are under the curse {of the Mosaic Law}.
For it is written {Deuteronomy 27:26},
"Cursed be all ones
that fail to keep on abiding in ALL things (not just the 10 comm),
which are written in the book of the law to do them".
{Note: Break one Mosaic Law and you are guilt of breaking them all - Deuteronomy 27:26 - which is part of the Mosaic Law. To be saved by WORKS you must be PERFECT! And, only Christ fulfilled the Mosaic Law. "I do not come to break the law, but to fulfill it."}
11~~ But that no one receives justification
in the sphere of the law in the sight of God . . . evident.
For, the justified ones shall live out of the source of faith/doctrine.
12~~ And the law is not of faith/doctrine {Leviticus 18:5},
"But, the man that having done them,
shall live, in the future, in them."
13~~ Christ has once and for all
redeemed us out from the curse of the law,
(for it is written {Deuteronomy 21:22-23},
"Under a curse is every one
who keeps on hanging on The Wood")
having become a curse for us.
That passage is pretty clear that Christ has taken us "out from" being under the curse of the Law.
Mostly in Hebrews it talks about the higher law - such as living
not just the Sabbath as to God, but everyday as unto the Lord.
The doctrine of the Mosaic law

It is very important to understand the recipients of the Mosaic law. They can be divided into three very simple points. a) It was given to Israel — Exodus 19:3; Leviticus 26:46; Romans 3:19; 9:4; b) It was not given to the Gentiles — Deuteronomy 4:8; Romans 2:12-14; c) Christians — Church Age believers — are not under the law. It was not given to the Church. It is not an authorizing agent for any part of the royal priesthood, family — Acts 15:5, 24; Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:19.

Christ is the end of the law for the royal family, for Church Age believers, for the royal priesthood — Romans 10:4. And in effect there is a conflict between the royal priesthood of the believer and the former Levitical priesthood. The conflict is resolved by the annulment, the abrogation of the law. The law is not in function today.

Believers of the Church Age, members of the royal family under a higher law. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is the badge of royalty. The filling of the Holy Spirit is the fulfillment of the higher law, the superseding law, the law which nullifies the Mosaic law — Romans 8:2-4; Galatians 5:18, 22, 23; 1 Corinthians chapter 13.

The recipients of the law was the nation Israel — Exodus 19:3; Leviticus 26:46; Romans 3:19; 9:4. It was definitely not given to the Gentiles — Deuteronomy 4:8; Roman 2:12-14. It was, furthermore, not given to the Church — Acts 15:5,24; Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:19.

Jesus Christ and the law. Jesus Christ kept the law perfectly during the period of His incarnation. This is a part of the doctrine of impeccability, it is also a part of His patriotism. Christ condemned the legalistic distortions of the law and the Pharisees who sponsored them. Christ fulfilled the law — Matthew 5:17, and Christ is the end of the law for believers — Romans 10:4.

Keeping the law is also not spirituality. Believers in the Church Age and/or the royal family of God are under the higher law of spirituality related to God the Holy Spirit, (1 John 1:9) — Romans 8:2-4; Galatians 5:18,22,23; 1 Corinthians 13.

a) It cannot justify — Galatians 2:16; Romans 3:20,28; Acts 13:39; Philippians 3:9.

b) It cannot give life — Galatians 3:21.

c) It cannot provide the Holy Spirit — Galatians 3:2.

d) It cannot solve the problem of the old sin nature — Romans 8:4.

Romans 6:10-14 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
...uhmmm any chance of repeating this in normal English? I mean I think I get what you're saying but the "religious-speak" is a little confusing. :sorry:
tulc(just trying to understand) :)
See post 124, there are many verses to help explain. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

markbelieves

May 18, 2005
PA
✟8,862.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow...what a thread. LOL.

Bella, God bless you for attending service every week, on Sunday or Saturday, whichever day you go.

I was a RC for about 40 years. Our membership size was about 4,000 and there were about 1,500 to 2,000 that attended each week. I would agree with your statement that you typically see the same faces every week. There were some that were off and on though. But noting that the same faces were there every week means that the same 2,000 to 2,500 were not going to service any Sunday. These are the people that had the church bursting at the seams every Christmas and Easter.

I wish I could say my current church was different, but I won't be dishonest and say it is.

To answer your question (I think it is your question anyway??) I do attend service every Sunday. This is the only day of the week my current church holds service.

But from your posts you seem to imply that all Roman Catholics attend service every week, but this is not true, and I am sure that even you know that. You also imply that all Roman Catholics attend service wearing only suits and dresses...I assure this was not true at any of the Catholic churches I attended. Rather, it was a mix...some dressed up some in jeans, etc. I noticed the priest never wethheld communion from them so I guess he felt they were respectful enough.

On a parting note, remember that the bible speaks often about the dangers of pride. You might want to look at those parts of Scripture again.

Peace and Grace,

Mark

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I never said anything against studing scripture daily - but studing scripture isn't what the Sabbath is.

I have no issue with your "daily doctrine" thingy, but that isn't what the Sabbath is, sorry.

The sabbath WAS the day of rest, I get that. The sabbath does NOT apply to us today because it has been REPLACED by grace.

We are to see everyday as the same, meaning ie: we can go to church everyday, work everyday, eat everyday, scrub floors everyday, rest everyday, do ANYTHING we want.....everyday. This is GRACE. This is the entire point I am trying to get across. The verses posted explain this, all one has to do from there use their imagination as treating ALL DAYS the same and deciding what THEY want to do in that day. I do hope you understand this now. :scratch:

The law was a curse.......

Then starting at 3:10 Paul explains that if you want to
stay "under the law" you continue to be cursed by the law. And, that seems to be the status of your friends:

10~~ For as many as are
under the works of the law
are under the curse{of the Mosaic Law}.
For it is written {Deuteronomy 27:26},
"Cursed be all ones that fail to keep on abiding in ALL things, which are written in the book of the law to do them".
(impossible for man to do.....Christ came to fullfill the law, he was perfect....HE could, he had no old sin nature).

The ONLY way to ABIDE ALL of God's mandates (this includes the 10 comm) is to be FILLED with the spirit, NOT carnal, in fellowship......1 John 1:9. NOW we are fullfilling ALL of what the Lord know's as righteous. This is grace. NOW we are fullfilling something that the law could NEVER do. The POWER of the holy spirit working through us now can ONLY produce divine good.

I truly believe that today the people that do NOT use grace today, are constantly hitting their head against the wall TRYING to abide by the 10 comm (energy of the flesh).

IF they do this all of their life, they have the great possibily of becoming neurotic and/or psycotic believers, never grasping this wonderful grace.

Scripture is CLEAR about the law as a curse (human works) instead of grace (divine good). :)

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
The sabbath WAS the day of rest, I get that. The sabbath does NOT apply to us today because it has been REPLACED by grace.

So does grace say it's ok to murder or comit adultery or steal? The Bible says if we break one we are guilty of them all , James 2:10. The moral law which is the ten commandments were definetely part of the old covenant where the law was written on tables of stone but in the new covenant the laws are written on our hearts. That means the laws of God are still very much in force and in effect and are now intimately inside our souls. Additionally, grace can only work in light of the law. Grace is only necessary if the law is in effect and force. We are not under the law for salvation but the whole world will be judged by the moral law of God.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So does grace say it's ok to murder or comit adultery or steal?
uhmmm I hope not. :sorry:

The Bible says if we break one we are guilty of them all , James 2:10. The moral law which is the ten commandments were definetely part of the old covenant where the law was written on tables of stone but in the new covenant the laws are written on our hearts. That means the laws of God are still very much in force and in effect and are now intimately inside our souls.
isn't that why Jesus calls us to a deeper commitment then just observing the outward Law? We are not just to NOT do something we are called TO something we don't just not commit adultry we also seek purity of mind, we don't just keepONE day holy we try and keep ALL of them holy, see the difference? The Sabbath isn't just Friday sundown to Saturday sundown our Sabbath is our whole life.
Additionally, grace can only work in light of the law. Grace is only necessary if the law is in effect and force. We are not under the law for salvation but the whole world will be judged by the moral law of God.
Soooo Abraham wasn't saved by a form of Grace? There were no righteous people before Moses came down that mountin? :scratch:
tulc(just some thoughts before my evening coffee) :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So does grace say it's ok to murder or comit adultery or steal? The Bible says if we break one we are guilty of them all , James 2:10. The moral law which is the ten commandments were definetely part of the old covenant where the law was written on tables of stone but in the new covenant the laws are written on our hearts. That means the laws of God are still very much in force and in effect and are now intimately inside our souls. Additionally, grace can only work in light of the law. Grace is only necessary if the law is in effect and force. We are not under the law for salvation but the whole world will be judged by the moral law of God.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

The Sabbath was a ceremonial commandment and not moral. If a Christian follows the law of love they will not kill or steal.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tulc, the purpose of this whole thread is to see if Protestants obey the Ten Commandments, at least the fourth one by going to church..capice?? :)
Nobody obeys the 10 commandments! Nobody ever has and nobody ever will. If we did or could, there would have been no need for Christ to come, for we could have been justified by the law given to Israel.

The 4th commandment was the sign of the covenant God made with Israel at Mt. Horeb (Sinai). But the old covenant has faded away (been made obsolete) and all believers are under a new and better covenant.

"The law no longer holds you in its power, because you died to its power when you died with Christ on the cross. And now you are united with the one who was raised from the dead." Rom 7:4

We law has nothing to say to those who died, and we were not raised in order to be joined to the law again (what would be the point) but to be united with Christ!

"So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." Rom 8:1

The law has nothing to say to those who have been credited with Christ's righteousness through faith. They have been declared 'not guilty' by Christ himself. His Spirit lives in them as a guarantee and there is no power anywhere that can separate them from his love.

Does man in sinful flesh 'OBEY' the 10 commandments. NO! And he/she never will. That's why we needed a Savior in the first place. Praise Jesus for his righteousness.:amen:

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
The Sabbath was a ceremonial commandment and not moral. If a Christian follows the law of love they will not kill or steal.

I disagree, morality is intimately linked to selfish acts as is any sin. God set aside the Sabbath as a holy day for communion with His Divine nature and to not only rest our bodies physically but spiritually as well. If we turn away from that commandment for selfish reasons then we are going against the will of God which makes it immoral and a sin.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
Nobody obeys the 10 commandments! Nobody ever has and nobody ever will. If we did or could, there would have been no need for Christ to come, for we could have been justified by the law given to Israel.

The 4th commandment was the sign of the covenant God made with Israel at Mt. Horeb (Sinai). But the old covenant has faded away (been made obsolete) and all believers are under a new and better covenant.

"The law no longer holds you in its power, because you died to its power when you died with Christ on the cross. And now you are united with the one who was raised from the dead." Rom 7:4

We law has nothing to say to those who died, and we were not raised in order to be joined to the law again (what would be the point) but to be united with Christ!

"So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." Rom 8:1

The law has nothing to say to those who have been credited with Christ's righteousness through faith. They have been declared 'not guilty' by Christ himself. His Spirit lives in them as a guarantee and there is no power anywhere that can separate them from his love.

Does man in sinful flesh 'OBEY' the 10 commandments. NO! And he/she never will. That's why we needed a Savior in the first place. Praise Jesus for his righteousness.:amen:

The new covenant says God puts His laws which are the ten commandments intimately into our hearts. So they are just as much in force as they ever were. Can we keep the ten commandments? To say no means we are denying the power of Christ in our lives. Yes we can keep them with the power of Christ but if it's not perfectly then the grace He gives us will cover us. However, when we sin we are to confess our sin and repent of it. There is a huge difference between an occasional fall or slip and turning away completely. To say the law is done away with is not only not Biblical it's heresy. Those who will be ready to meet the Lord when He comes back will be those who keep the commandments of God.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
isn't that why Jesus calls us to a deeper commitment then just observing the outward Law? We are not just to NOT do something we are called TO something we don't just not commit adultry we also seek purity of mind, we don't just keepONE day holy we try and keep ALL of them holy, see the difference? The Sabbath isn't just Friday sundown to Saturday sundown our Sabbath is our whole life.

The Shabbot calls us to come aside and rest, so every day cannot be a Shabbot. The commandment that gives us this truth tells us that six days shall you labor and do all your work but the 7th day is the Sabbath. It goes on to point out that the Sabbath is essentially a memorial of creation.

Soooo Abraham wasn't saved by a form of Grace? There were no righteous people before Moses came down that mountin? :scratch:
tulc(just some thoughts before my evening coffee) :)

Hope you enjoyed it, do you like capucinno? I have a weakness for coffee and have given it up but I always loved capacinno ( ms ).

Salvation has always been by faith and grace even in old testament times. The commandments were given because of sin but we know from texts like Gen 26:5 that the ancients were fully aware of the laws and commandments of God. There is also strong evidence that the sacrificial system was instituted right after sin came into the word. All of the sacrificial system pointed to Christ and it was a shodow of His coming sacrifice that the sinner placed his faith in, not the innocent lamb itself that was slain. The Bible says without the shedding of blood there is no remission for sin. So Christ took our place and died the death we deserve to satisfy the requirements of the law.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.