Do Protestants believe in the Ten Commandments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella1955

Dec 31, 2006
✟366.00
Faith
Catholic
I was wondering if Protestants believed in the Ten Commandments, especially "KEEP THE SABBATH HOLY". On every answer in the thread pertaining to going to church as is God's Commandment, every one was Protestant and believed in NOT going to church on the Sabbath. What's up with that? You cannot make your own rules like one post read "as long as Jesus is in your heart"...etc...that is not so. Seems only the Catholic posts take the Mass and church seriously. So my question to non-Catholics would be, either a yes or no answer. Do you keep God's comandment of keeping the Sabbath Holy by attending church EVERY Sunday??

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you keep God's comandment of keeping the Sabbath Holy by attending church EVERY Sunday??

No. And yes. You can attend Church and not be keeping the Sabbath holy. And you can not go to Church on Sunday and still keep it holy. It's not where you sit on Sunday, it's where your heart is. :)
tulc(just something I've learned over time) ;)

Upvote 0

LightDancer

Jesus, I'll never let go of you...
Jan 15, 2007
✟8,402.00
See Romans 14:5 for scripture.

Here's the definition of Sabbath: Shabbot

[SIZE=-1]In both Judaism and Christianity, the Sabbath (Hebrew "Shabbat") is a religious day of rest that occurs on the seventh day of the week, Saturday.

Yes, I do want to try to keep Saturday holy and look into the Shabbot, as that is what The Lord is calling me and my family to do.
[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Being in church on Sunday to participate in the communal worship of Word and Sacrament is fundamental to the Christian life.

I see a parallel between the Jewish Shabbat and the Christian Lord's Day, although they are not the same.

The command to observe Shabbat is just that- a command. It is law, and the law condemns because we can never fulfill it in its entirety.

The offer of the gospel through Word and Sacrament on the Lord's Day, however, is also just that- an offer of the gospel. And it is an offer that we cannot refuse, since communal worship through Word and Sacrament is the heart of the Christian life. I can rarely survive a week when I don't partake of Christ's gospel through his body and blood.

Upvote 0

bella1955

Dec 31, 2006
✟366.00
Faith
Catholic
See Romans 14:5 for scripture.

Here's the definition of Sabbath: Shabbot

[SIZE=-1]In both Judaism and Christianity, the Sabbath (Hebrew "Shabbat") is a religious day of rest that occurs on the seventh day of the week, Saturday. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Yes, I do want to try to keep Saturday holy and look into the Shabbot, as that is what The Lord is calling me and my family to do. [/SIZE]

Obviously the Ten Commandments are part of Scripture....:scratch:

Upvote 0

LightDancer

Jan 15, 2007
✟8,402.00
Obviously the Ten Commandments are part of Scripture....:scratch:

Of course.

I meant refer to Romans 14.

Here's Romans 14:5

5One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bella1955

Dec 31, 2006
✟366.00
Faith
Catholic
Every day is to be kept Holy unto the Lord.. Going to church does not mean you are keeping the sabbath Holy. Is this what you are asking?

Oh, it absolutely does mean going to church. Jesus did not say 'KEEP EVERY DAY THE SABBATH HOLY". He said "REMEMBER TO KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH DAY". One day. That's all he wants. This is why I love my Holy Mass. I will not and never cannot miss it. If I am called out of town I will attend in a church elsewhere on Sunday. I will never miss it. My part of being a Catholic, this is what I am grateful for. Thank you Jesus for this gift of receiving you on the Sabbath. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But God spoke and told Moses the Ten Commandments. I do not need any other Scripture to tell me anything else. I've heard it from the mouth of God.

...then what's the problem? If you are convinced then you should do what you feel led to do. What else is there to discuss? :)
tulc(just curious) ;)

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well if that's the way you want it then do so. The Sabbath Day is the seventh day of the week. If you wish to be under the 10 Commandments, then you better worship on Saturday.

Many Christians have traditionally worshipped on the Lord's Day, Sunday. Sunday is not the Sabbath Day.

Once we live under grace and not under the Law, we receive a continuous Sabbath rest where we do not observe a law concerning a day, but we rest from our labors in the work of Jesus, our true Sabbath which was prefigured by the Sabbath Day of the Old Testament.

If one puts oneself back under the Law then one does not enter the Sabbath rest of Jesus and one threatens their very soul for the Law does not bring salvation but rather condemnation. You cannot perfect what was begun in the Spirit by doing works of the Law.

I realize that's it's confusing for you because the Cathoic church confuses the whole issue by claiming Sunday is now the Sabbath and they changed the Sabbath through their authority. That's just plain old wrong and always has been and always will be.

Come out of the shadow and into the light of grace and you will be free indeed.

Marv

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LightDancer

Jan 15, 2007
✟8,402.00
Every day is to be kept Holy unto the Lord.. Going to church does not mean you are keeping the sabbath Holy. Is this what you are asking?

The Sabbath was a day of rest and feasting with family and neighbors. That was it's original meaning. God wanted us to rest, and as another poster said... now we can rest in Him every day, as best as this rough world lets us.

However, the Sabbath Day means the Seventh Day, which is Saturday. :angel: Oh and yes I agree with you IAmAdopted that's why I quoted your post! Thumbs up!

Upvote 0

bella1955

Dec 31, 2006
✟366.00
Faith
Catholic
...then what's the problem? If you are convinced then you should do what you feel led to do. What else is there to discuss? :)
tulc(just curious) ;)

Tulc, the purpose of this whole thread is to see if Protestants obey the Ten Commandments, at least the fourth one by going to church..capice?? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.