Do Isaiah servant songs refer to Israel or Jesus?

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Rabbinic Judaism argues that Isaiah 53 and all the servant songs refer to the Jewish nation and not to Jesus.

In leading up to Isaiah 53 it seems clear all are references to Israel.

Isaiah 49:7 calls Israel "Him who man despises" and 49:8 that "they will restore the the Earth"

Does this suggest that Isaiah 53 has nothing to do with Jesus, especially since Isaiah 53:8 is plural and not singular and refers "to them" and not "to him"?

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rabbinic Judaism argues that Isaiah 53 and all the servant songs refer to the Jewish nation and not to Jesus...

In my opinion “a man of suffering” can’t mean Israel nation or Israel the man (Jacob).

He was despised, and rejected by men; a man of suffering, and acquainted with disease: and as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we didn't respect him.
Isaiah 53:3

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rabbinic Judaism argues that Isaiah 53 and all the servant songs refer to the Jewish nation and not to Jesus.

Isaiah 49:7 calls Israel "Him who man despises" and 49:8 that "they will restore the the Earth"

Does this suggest that Isaiah 53 has nothing to do with Jesus, especially since Isaiah 53:8 is plural and not singular and refers "to them" and not "to him"?

Isaiah 53 in Gill's Commentary on the Whole Bible.

The ancient Jews understood this of the Messiah; in one place they say (o),

"chastisements are divided into three parts, one to David and the fathers, one to our generation, and one to the King Messiah; as it is written, "he was wounded for our transgressions; and bruised for our iniquities":'' and in another place (p),

"at that time they shall declare to the Messiah the troubles of Israel in captivity, and the wicked which are among them, that do not mind to know the Lord; he shall lift up his voice, and weep over the wicked among them; as it is said, "he was wounded for our transgressions", &c.''

(o) Mechilta apud Yalkut, par. 2. fol 90. 1.
(p) Zohar in Exod. fol. 85. 2. See also Midrash Ruth, fol. 33. 2. and Zohar in Deut. fol. 117. 3. and R. Moses Hadarsan apud Galatia de Arcan. Cath. Ver. I. 8. c. 15 p. 586. and in I. 6. c. 2. p. 436. R. Cahana (t) on these words, "binding his ass's colt to the choice vine", Gen_49:11 says,

"as the ass bears burdens, and the garments of travellers, so the King Messiah will bear upon him the sins of the whole world; as it is said, "the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all",'' Isa_53:6.

(t) Apud Galatin. de Cathol. Ver. I. 10. c. 6. p. 663, and Siphre in ib. l. 8. c. 20. p. 599.

Isaiah 52 and 53 according to the Targum Isaiah. The Messiah appears to be the referent in Isa 53. not Israel.

Isa 52:13 Behold, my servant the Messiah shall prosper. He shall be exalted and extolled, and He shall be very strong.
14 As the house of Israel anxiously hoped for Him many days, (which was poor among the nations ; their appearance and their brightness being worse than that of the sons of men : )
15 Thus shall He scatter many nations; before Him kings shall keep silence : they shall put their hands upon their mouths, for that which had not been told them shall they see: and That which they had not heard shall they consider.
53: 1 Who hath believed this our report? and to whom is now the power of the arm of the Lord revealed?
2 The righteous shall be great before Him, behold, like branches that bud; and like a tree which sends forth its roots by the streams of water, thus shall the generation of the just multiply in the land, which hath need of Him.
3 His visage shall not be the visage of a common person, neither His fear the fear of a plebeian ; but a holy brightness shall be His brightness, that every one who seeth Him shall contemplate Him.
4 Although He shall be in contempt ; yet He shall cut off the glory of all the wicked, they shall be weak and wretched. Lo, we are in contempt and not esteemed, as a man of pain and appointed to sickness, and as if He had removed the face of His Shekinah from us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sickntired771

Dec 11, 2014
✟15,989.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
In my opinion “a man of suffering” can’t mean Israel nation or Israel the man (Jacob).

He was despised, and rejected by men; a man of suffering, and acquainted with disease: and as one from whom men hide their face he was despised; and we didn't respect him.
Isaiah 53:3

The Jewish nation is refered to as "man" many times though so why would this Isaiah 53 account which is plural be Jesus?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Jewish nation is refered to as "man" many times though so why would this Isaiah 53 account which is plural be Jesus?

Why? See the Targum, Talmud and Zohar immediately above your post. Modern Judaism has revised Judaism's early beliefs because Christianity interpreted the Suffering Servant passage exactly as the ancient Jews had done and understood them as prophesying Jesus.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

This may be the current Jewish understanding, but there are several ancient and medieval Jewish texts that say that Isaiah 53 refers to the suffering servant, the Messiah, son of Joseph (also called Ephraim.)

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Please show one example where has Israel nation be called man. And please explain on what basis it is not man, but nation.

Upvote 0

ISTANDBYJESUS

Joseph Melo
Sep 21, 2014
Heaven: in the Spirit of Christ
✟791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Israel is Jesus:

Genesis 32:28King James Version (KJV)
28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Matthew 28:18King James Version (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Further more:

Hosea 11:1King James Version (KJV)
11 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

Matthew 2:15King James Version (KJV)
15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Upvote 0