Do I have to go to church to be a Christian?

John55107

Nov 1, 2017
Minnesota
✟12,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I asked one of my junior pastors this question, and he said that you don't have to go to church to be a Christian, it's about your heart. But I'm still confused. Because I know that church is a place to fellowship with believers, and church is essential for spiritual growth.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do want to go, but it was just something I was curious about. I've always been taught that church is something we have to do.
Okay, but don't you see that you altered the question there? You asked us if it was necessary to attend church "to be a Christian," but here you are saying you were curious if church (attendance) "is something we have to do."

To BE a Christian, you probably do not have to attend church, but do we--as good Christians--NEED to do so? Yes. That's because the instruction is straight out of the New Testament (as was noted by another poster earlier).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I asked one of my junior pastors this question, and he said that you don't have to go to church to be a Christian, it's about your heart. But I'm still confused. Because I know that church is a place to fellowship with believers, and church is essential for spiritual growth.

Going to church doesn't save you ... Jesus does.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do want to go, but it was just something I was curious about. I've always been taught that church is something we have to do.

Hi John55107,

Going to church doesn't make anyone a Christian just like going to McDonalds doesn't make anyone a Big Mac.

Becoming a Christian occurs when you place your faith in Jesus Christ for your forgiveness and salvation. Once you're saved, you go to church, not because you "have to," but because you want to grow in your relationship with Jesus, fellowship with other like-minded believers, and learn more of God's Word and how it applies to your life.

Christianity isn't a bunch of "have to's" but a lot of "want to's." Does that help? Have you trusted Jesus and been born again?

Upvote 0

John55107

Nov 1, 2017
Minnesota
✟12,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi John55107,

Going to church doesn't make anyone a Christian just like going to McDonalds doesn't make anyone a Big Mac.

Becoming a Christian occurs when you place your faith in Jesus Christ for your forgiveness and salvation. Once you're saved, you go to church, not because you "have to," but because you want to grow in your relationship with Jesus, fellowship with other like-minded believers, and learn more of God's Word and how it applies to your life.

Christianity isn't a bunch of "have to's" but a lot of "want to's." Does that help? Have you trusted Jesus and been born again?

No I haven't

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then going to church would be a good idea, all else aside. You need first to know your own mind, we might say, and then the finer points of doctrine and practice would follow when you have come to the point of committing to Christ as your personal Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
modern church is not what it was in the bible. What is needed in healthy Christian living is regularly meeting with a body of believers that can both encourage and challenge you as well as it is a body of believers that is having impact on the community around it (meaning people are hearing about Christ). It is not required for salvation but it is an important part of being a Christian. If you have this then it doesn't matter where you meet, what you call the place or who's on the payroll (or even if there is a payroll) what matters is that you have it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but "what it was in the Bible" was more than just a gathering for the purposes of fellowship. We should not think of church attendance in such narrow terms because that leads people to neglect the other activities that churches engage in and bring to the members present--all of which are described right there in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No I haven't
People are continually adding dos and don'ts to the requirements of salvation. Of course, some things are outright sins, and to continue to do them indicates a questionable heart. But essentially becoming a Christian is laid out in Romans 10. We confess Jesus is Lord and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead. We give our lives to Him and receive Him into our hearts as Savior and Lord.

"Church" is an irreplaceable component of spiritual growth. But it is not a requirement. Man has been putting law on church attendance for a long time. The letter kills, but the spirit gives life.

Focus on the essentials - Christ in you, the hope of glory. Finding the right church will happen when its time comes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I haven't

Hi John55107.

If you haven’t trusted Jesus for your forgiveness and salvation, you can do that right now. Here’s how:

Step One: Recognize You are a Sinner
  • For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23)
  • There is none righteous, not even one (Romans 3:10)
Step Two: Understand Your Sin’s Consequences
  • For the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23a)
  • Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9).
Step Three: Believe Jesus Died for Your Sins
  • For while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8b)
  • For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16)
  • And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed (1 Peter 2:24)
Step Four: Receive Jesus into Your Heart
  • But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God (John 1:12-13)

Here's a Sample Prayer for you:
“Lord Jesus, I know I’m a sinner. I know my sin has separated me from having a relationship with You. I believe You died for me on the cross and shed Your blood so that I could be forgiven. Please forgive me for my sins and come into my heart to be my Lord and Savior. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit and help me to live for You all the days of my life. Teach me what it means to follow You and honor You every day. I choose to follow You from this day forward. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”

Let us know if you decide to become a Christian, okay? I'll be praying for you...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Sure, you could still be a Christian in such rare cases, but a very weak one. I'm convinced it is also a sin.

You're missing out on the fellowship, spiritual nourishment, accountability and sacraments provided therein, not to mention participating in the body for the cause of Christ. I don't understand how anyone could be in the world every single day and not desire to interact in person with other believers for encouragement and learning and worship. If you want to struggle spiritually, then you can do that.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You become a Christian through receiving Christ and, "By God's grace are you saved, through faith, not of your selves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any should boast in them."

Meeting and fellowshipping with other believers is part of the ongoing growth in the Christian life. While it is not essential for salvation, it is quite important for sanctification, because it is there that you can be discipled, trained, and equipped.

• Agree
Reactions: ChetSinger
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Going to a gas station doesn't make you a car.
Never taking your car to a gas station means it won't have any fuel, and is just an oversized hunk of metal.

The question isn't "Do I need to go to church?" the question is, "Why wouldn't I go to church?" If you know that this is where God is at work to nourish and sustain you with His Word and Sacraments, why wouldn't one go?

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No I haven't

If you believe in Jesus Christ and have received Baptism, then you have. If you've never been baptized, then that's all the more reason to go to church and talk to one of the pastors. But if you already received Baptism, then you can rest assured that you belong to Jesus Christ, that your sins are forgiven, and that you are God's child.

There will be people who tell you that you have to do this or that in order to be a "Real Christian". But put your faith in Jesus, trusting in Him, and be fed and nourished by God's gifts which are yours, freely, in Christ. That's why you should go to church, never to earn God's favor (you don't have to, God's favor is on you freely on account of Christ who died for you), but because God's Word and Sacraments are here, for you, that you might be nourished, fed, and thrive in the grace of God.

-CryptoLutheran

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When this has come up in the past, a few seem to always be dumbfounded, as in "Why is that question even being asked, of course a christian must attend church".

I think that's because they have been going all their lives and they never bothered even asking themselves the question, "Must I".

Anyway. no, you don't, but IMO if you can find a good church which is another subject all together, it can be very helpful for some. If we end up in one that teaches contrary to the bible, they can actually have us eventually going against Gods word and even to the point of leading one down the wrong path to a very undesirable end.

If we are new to Christianity, or just aren't certain what way to go, might be a good idea to do without a church altogether until we can figure out the truth because once some get caught up in any church, it can be very hard for them to convince themselves to leave. Reason being they become convinced the wrong way is right, they may like their way much better than the right way (it's much easier) and they make friends, people that are constantly assuring them they're in the right church, so they simply do not want to, nor will they even consider leaving what has become their comfort zone.

The bible says to not forsake the gathering of ourselves together, and though it may not be a perfect solution, here we are, gathering ourselves together right now....a good place to get things figured out before we move on to a church, or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0