Do I have to be in any certain denomination?

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination. I've been to Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches. I was even involved in the Amish anabaptist churches (though they have their church services in other member's front rooms, barns, etc instead of having church in a certain building. To them, church is anywhere which is true. That was a really unique take on 'church'.)

The issue is that I don't know which denomination to go to. I wanted to go to a Greek Orthodox church because God gave me a sign. I went into town the other day, scoped out a Catholic church for me to potentially go to so I would finally quit going from church to church (because God gave me a sign to go to a Catholic church), and lo' and behold, a Greek Orthodox priest came to me and pretty much convinced me to be in the Greek Orthodox church instead of a Catholic church. And who am I to disobey God's sign? So, I went and looked up the Greek Orthodox church, read what they are about, and now I have my sights set out to go to a Greek Orthodox church and to talk about getting involved with that.

This same thing actually happened to me when I was in another state (Ohio to be exact, which is my home state.) I went to the local Baptist church, and a nice Amish man came up to me and told me that being Amish was the way to go. That was fun to be honest. Working out, being Amish, dressing like them, plowing, etc. It was hard work! I moved though to NC so I had to pick another church.

The issue though with moving and picking another church is that I don't really know if what I am doing is right and if I act on things too quickly. I have Asperger's syndrome you see, so seeing God's signs is quite difficult for me. So when I see a sign I'm so excited because those are normally small things that I miss due to my autism and so I act on those right away! (This is why I have 8 different bibles in my house by the way. I go and buy a study bible on the Baptists then one on the Anabaptists and then one on this denomination, and then one and another one. It is because I think God wants me to know more about that certain denomination because he wants me to be in it! It is because he gave me a sign! If I have autism and it's hard for me to see signs then God shows me a sign instantly and I act on it! In those moments I feel so close to God but then he tells me to change and then I am away from God again :sigh:)

In all honesty though, I'm actually sort of scared to choose a denomination because I'm afraid that I will miss God's signs because I will be blinded by that denomination's thought process, but at the same time I feel like God wants me to be in a denomination on purpose so I can get his message in the best way and so I can be even more closer to the church which means that I can be closer to God. Right now I'm struggling with the thought of being in the Greek Orthodox church and going to that church and having the right things done to officially be in that church. Yesterday, I was struggling with being in the Catholic church. It's all very confusing and God just keeps throwing signs at me and I have to weed it all out despite me being held back by my autism.

A secondary problem is that I can't really get "closer" to God unless I'm at a church (aka being involved in a denomination.) And you know that there are many denominations of churches so who is to say that the denomination that I'm in is one that God would not agree with? I obviously won't see God in a church that he would not agree with so I can't get "closer" to God so he can give me more direct answers instead of vague ones like I'm getting now. If I find that God wants me somewhere else then it's like a light switch and that church doesn't help me anymore, and I have to to go another church. It is a little sad. I guess I'm following the holy spirit??

I find though that if I am in church I get very VERY direct answers and my life goes well. But then when I am away or when God calls me somewhere else and I am in question and I cannot ask a pastor about something then I get lost because I don't know.

Could I have some advice on this? This has been a lifelong struggle with me and I am not sure how I can maneuver this life when I have issues trying to see God's signs clearly. I don't think he wants me to switch churches like you switch out a pair of socks but I'm just so confused and I don't know what to do. I pray a lot but I'm scared that if I ask God to slow down he will stop giving me signs all together and I will just end up in a church that does not show me any of Gods signs. Despite me going nearly nuts about this, I wouldn't want him to put me on the back burner and stop giving me his gifts because I don't want to sound ungrateful. I've had some great things happen to me under God! I'm just scared that I will be without God's gift again and I will fall into a deep state of depression without him like before.

Could anyone help me out on this? Thank you

(also, yes, you might say that I'm gullible but I can never tell if it's the person talking or if it is God speaking through the person. I find that if I reject what I am given then things do not go well for me [I get sad] so I just stay quiet and just go with it (least the alternative is being depressed again if I ignore God).)
Hard to say, such a choice of denominations.

Rome, Corinthians, Ephesus, Thessalonians, Antioch, Jerusalem, Philippians, e.t.c.

Leave it with me and I will make the decision.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does sound appealing. I have like 5 different Bibles opened, 20 tabs opened on my PC, and some other things. I'm just trying to get my mind grounded right in the right thing. So far, plenty of people have suggested it to me.

I am sure Orthodox, and or other denominations may sound appealing to you, but again.... you need to do some heavy research on the internet and look at the other side of the debate on WHY others find these other denominations to be unbiblical. Do your homework before jumping in blindly wanting to just be with believers because you desire fellowship. In my walk with God: While I yearn to be with faithful believers, my ultimate driving force is to be with the Lord. It is the Lord who dwells in believers. For it is the Lord who alone is good.

I have discovered that we are living in the last days (2 Timothy 3:1-9). So you will not find many who are truly doing exactly what Jesus and His followers were doing. In my walk: I can count on half of my hand believers who appear to be really serious about following the Lord. Meaning: They have an active daily hunger to worship God in spirit and in truth, and to know Him and what His Word really says (and not what they want it to say).

In my experience: I do not find the Orthodox, Catholic, and or any denomination these days without it's problems in light of reading my Bible. In my humble opinion: They all appear to do things that does not align with His Word exactly.

For example: I do not believe the Bible teaches the perpetual virginity of Mary, praying to the dead, baptism of infants, salvation after death, or kissing icons or statues, etc.

Now, I am sure some have took a verse or passage and sort of made it kind of sound like a defense of some of these things, but these things are not clearly mentioned in the Bible.

See, when I face the Lord my God, I do not want to do anything that was not clearly explained within His Word when it comes to spiritual matters. I would encourage you to do the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination. I've been to Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches. I was even involved in the Amish anabaptist churches (though they have their church services in other member's front rooms, barns, etc instead of having church in a certain building. To them, church is anywhere which is true. That was a really unique take on 'church'.)

The issue is that I don't know which denomination to go to. I wanted to go to a Greek Orthodox church because God gave me a sign. I went into town the other day, scoped out a Catholic church for me to potentially go to so I would finally quit going from church to church (because God gave me a sign to go to a Catholic church), and lo' and behold, a Greek Orthodox priest came to me and pretty much convinced me to be in the Greek Orthodox church instead of a Catholic church. And who am I to disobey God's sign? So, I went and looked up the Greek Orthodox church, read what they are about, and now I have my sights set out to go to a Greek Orthodox church and to talk about getting involved with that.

This same thing actually happened to me when I was in another state (Ohio to be exact, which is my home state.) I went to the local Baptist church, and a nice Amish man came up to me and told me that being Amish was the way to go. That was fun to be honest. Working out, being Amish, dressing like them, plowing, etc. It was hard work! I moved though to NC so I had to pick another church.

The issue though with moving and picking another church is that I don't really know if what I am doing is right and if I act on things too quickly. I have Asperger's syndrome you see, so seeing God's signs is quite difficult for me. So when I see a sign I'm so excited because those are normally small things that I miss due to my autism and so I act on those right away! (This is why I have 8 different bibles in my house by the way. I go and buy a study bible on the Baptists then one on the Anabaptists and then one on this denomination, and then one and another one. It is because I think God wants me to know more about that certain denomination because he wants me to be in it! It is because he gave me a sign! If I have autism and it's hard for me to see signs then God shows me a sign instantly and I act on it! In those moments I feel so close to God but then he tells me to change and then I am away from God again :sigh:)

In all honesty though, I'm actually sort of scared to choose a denomination because I'm afraid that I will miss God's signs because I will be blinded by that denomination's thought process, but at the same time I feel like God wants me to be in a denomination on purpose so I can get his message in the best way and so I can be even more closer to the church which means that I can be closer to God. Right now I'm struggling with the thought of being in the Greek Orthodox church and going to that church and having the right things done to officially be in that church. Yesterday, I was struggling with being in the Catholic church. It's all very confusing and God just keeps throwing signs at me and I have to weed it all out despite me being held back by my autism.

A secondary problem is that I can't really get "closer" to God unless I'm at a church (aka being involved in a denomination.) And you know that there are many denominations of churches so who is to say that the denomination that I'm in is one that God would not agree with? I obviously won't see God in a church that he would not agree with so I can't get "closer" to God so he can give me more direct answers instead of vague ones like I'm getting now. If I find that God wants me somewhere else then it's like a light switch and that church doesn't help me anymore, and I have to to go another church. It is a little sad. I guess I'm following the holy spirit??

I find though that if I am in church I get very VERY direct answers and my life goes well. But then when I am away or when God calls me somewhere else and I am in question and I cannot ask a pastor about something then I get lost because I don't know.

Could I have some advice on this? This has been a lifelong struggle with me and I am not sure how I can maneuver this life when I have issues trying to see God's signs clearly. I don't think he wants me to switch churches like you switch out a pair of socks but I'm just so confused and I don't know what to do. I pray a lot but I'm scared that if I ask God to slow down he will stop giving me signs all together and I will just end up in a church that does not show me any of Gods signs. Despite me going nearly nuts about this, I wouldn't want him to put me on the back burner and stop giving me his gifts because I don't want to sound ungrateful. I've had some great things happen to me under God! I'm just scared that I will be without God's gift again and I will fall into a deep state of depression without him like before.

(also, yes, you might say that I'm gullible but I can never tell if it's the person talking or if it is God speaking through the person. I find that if I reject what I am given then things do not go well for me [I get sad] so I just stay quiet and just go with it (least the alternative is being depressed again if I ignore God).)

My stance is non-denominational personally, for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm not Catholic, nor Orthodox, but I'm also against compartmentalize God to different commentaries, which is essentially what denominations are, following theological commentaries. Not even following the word, but commentaries of the Word.

Just realized that this is your life, you are responsible for your relationship with God. No denomination nor Orthodox nor Catholic church can guarantee you a place in Heaven. So its up to you then to put most energy on the most important thing, that you believe on the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and that He left His Holy Spirit with us.

Everything else is man-made to create order whenever we do gather, that goes for Orthodox and Catholic.Order is always needed, and religion will always be there because we desire order and order have importance in equipping the saints.It gives a sense of system that can be passed down and understood and duplicatable t However, we don't need robes, we don't need bews and walls don't need to be a certain way, you don't need a prayer cloth, a great sound system, nor professional singing choir with a nice album, nor do you need holy water, sprinkled holy water, dunked holy water, splashed holy water, you don't need memorized chants, or to kneel, or to stand, or to sit, or to speak in tongues, or to wear white, pink,blue, gold, you don't need to chop your hair, or not chop it, or put the sides in a curl. You don't need to be call the High Priest Evangelist Brother Charles the Third of First Lady Missionary Martha. None of it is essential to your salvation.

Your salvation comes from believing that Jesus is the only way and confessing it with your heart and mouth. That's it.

So establish strengthening your relationship with Jesus. And then go somewhere that can properly support that and that you can stand by their principles and their vision, somewhere where you can grow, and discipline-ship is happening, and of course none will be the perfect church, maybe that will end up being a Catholic church, or Orthodox, or Protestant, or none of the above, or maybe you just need 3-5 people that you can hold each other accountable. Or maybe you're not lead to stay in one spot. Be a missionary, and make it your mission to share what you learn with others and bring a few believers that you can trut to support that. M

At the end of the day, this is your soul. Don't give more importance to the denominations than what's needed. The key is not to avoid, but to recognize and acknowledge, discern, and make a wise decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am sure Orthodox, and or other denominations may sound appealing to you, but again.... you need to do some heavy research on the internet and look at the other side of the debate on WHY others find these other denominations to be unbiblical. Do your homework before jumping in blindly wanting to just be with believers because you desire fellowship. In my walk with God: While I yearn to be with faithful believers, my ultimate driving force is to be with the Lord. It is the Lord who dwells in believers. For it is the Lord who alone is good.

I have discovered that we are living in the last days (2 Timothy 3:1-9). So you will not find many who are truly doing exactly what Jesus and His followers were doing.

In my experience: I do not find the Orthodox, Catholic, and or any denomination these days without it's problems in light of reading my Bible. In my humble opinion: They all appear to do things that does not align with His Word exactly.

For example: I do not believe the Bible teaches the perpetual virginity of Mary, praying to the dead, baptism of infants, salvation after death, or kissing icons or statues, etc.

Now, I am sure some have took a verse or passage and sort of made it kind of sound like a defense of some of these things, but these things are not clearly mentioned in the Bible.

See, when I face the Lord my God, I do not want to do anything that was not clearly explained within His Word when it comes to spiritual matters. I would encourage you to do the same.

I did a lot of research over the night and I did find that the Greek Orthodox church does a lot of things which are unbiblical. These 2 sites helped me out tremendously with deciding that I should not be in this denomination.

What is the Eastern Orthodox Church and what are the beliefs of Orthodox Christians? | GotQuestions.org

What is the Greek Orthodox Church? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My stance is non-denominational personally, for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm not Catholic, nor Orthodox, but I'm also against compartmentalize God to different commentaries, which is essentially what denominations are, following theological commentaries. Not even following the word, but commentaries of the Word.

Just realized that this is your life, you are responsible for your relationship with God. No denomination nor Orthodox nor Catholic church can guarantee you a place in Heaven. So its up to you then to put most energy on the most important thing, that you believe on the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and that He left His Holy Spirit with us.

Everything else is man-made to create order whenever we do gather, that goes for Orthodox and Catholic.Order is always needed, and religion will always be there because we desire order. However, we don't need robes, we don't need beads, the windows and walls don't need to be a certain way, you don't need a prayer cloth, a great sound system, nor professional singing choir with a nice album, nor do you need holy water, sprinkled holy water, dunked holy water, splashed holy water, you don't need memorized chants, or to kneel, or to stand, or to sit, or to speak in tongues, or to wear white, pink,blue, gold, you don't need to chop your hair, or not chop it, or put the sides in a curl. You don't need to be call the High Priest Evangelist Brother Charles the Third of First Lady Missionary Martha. None of it is essential to your salvation.

Your salvation comes from believing that Jesus is the only way and confessing it with your heart and mouth. That's it.

So establish strengthening your relationship with Jesus. And then go somewhere that can properly support that and that you can stand by their principles and their vision, somewhere where you can grow, and discipline-ship is happening, and of course none will be the perfect church, maybe that will end up being a Catholic church, or Orthodox, or Protestant, or none of the above. Or maybe you're not lead to stay in one spot. Be a missionary, and make it your mission to share what you learn with others and bring a few believers that you can trust to support that.

At the end of the day, this is your soul. Don't give more importance to the denominations than what's needed. The key is not to avoid, but to recognize and acknowledge, discern, and make a wise decision.
This I can agree with. I just need to have faith and stop concentrating so much on a denomination. Maybe non-denominational is what I need to do and where I should go to. My cousin in Ohio runs a non-denominational church so perhaps I could go there.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did a lot of research over the night and I did find that the Greek Orthodox church does a lot of things which are unbiblical. These 2 sites helped me out tremendously with deciding that I should not be in this denomination.

What is the Eastern Orthodox Church and what are the beliefs of Orthodox Christians? | GotQuestions.org

What is the Greek Orthodox Church? | GotQuestions.org

For every denomination, and every teacher on the internet, you can simply Google the unbiblical things about any Christian teacher or denomination and why others see what they are doing as unbiblical. Just because a person has a wonderful personality and we like how they speak and or how they present the Bible, we cannot let that be the basis of our faith. We need to research EVERY Christian teacher, denomination, etc. in the light of the Bible. In my experience: The only popular Christian teacher throughout history not found in the Bible who was truly genuine in his desire to follow the Lord and His Word in exactly what it said was Wesley. Granted, I found that Wesleyan churches today and their spin off churches do not resemble what he started (Note: Do not take my word for it; Do your own homework on Wesley).

The church of Christ appeared to be appealing to me at first because they are for holy living, but when I attended their services, they did not preach on God's grace or offer any invitation for new attendees to accept Christ as their personal Savior (Romans 10:13, Luke 15:18-21, Luke 18:9-14). The Church of Christ did not preach the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 that says we need to believe that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later for our salvation. The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. But I have heard many today try to change this gospel. Yes, we need to live holy after we are saved. For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). This is why I believe we are in a spiritual wasteland. We need to pray and ask God to bring those believers into our life in His timing, and we need to wait upon the Lord (However long that takes). Some people think you find truly sold out believers to Jesus (who follow the Bible alone) like you find food. That is not how it works in these last days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This I can agree with. I just need to have faith and stop concentrating so much on a denomination. Maybe non-denominational is what I need to do and where I should go to. My cousin in Ohio runs a non-denominational church so perhaps I could go there.

Nice, but don't just reside to non-denominational because you think that's the perfect denomination. None you will find.But focus more on how your relationship with Jesus is, the changes while on Earth you want to see and grow in and contribute to further the gospel, and discern the church community based on that and see where you can be disciplined and . It may not be a non-denominational church.Could be a Presbyterian church, idk. But take your time.

Just personally, my stance is non-denominational.But at the moment, I'm in a Pentecostal church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@I Love Archeology & History

I am glad you are researching and being skeptical. Keep at it. Again, do not believe anyone. Check everything with the Bible. I would check out EVERY denomination or church or teacher on the internet and by reading the Bible for yourself before believing in anyone. What do others say that makes them think they are unbiblical?

Take for example the Presbyterian church.
If a person is for believing in the 5 points of Calvinism they would attend a Presbyterian church. I respectfully disagree with all 5 points of Calvinism, especially with the teaching of Unconditional Election in Calvinism. They say that you are saved by election or regeneration before you believe by faith in the gospel (i.e. the gospel is believing that Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later for your salvation - See: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4). But Romans 1:16 says the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. This is how we are saved. By the gospel, and not by election or God regenerating me before I exercise faith. I do not believe God forces some to be saved and others to not be saved. A basic reading of 1 John 2:2 dispels the idea that God did not die for all so as to offer us the free gift of salvation if we take it. If God forces some to be saved, and others to not be saved against their will then why does Matthew 23:37 say the following?

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.”
(Matthew 23:37) (NLT).

So this just gives you a taste or an idea of why we need to do our own homework before trusting anyone blindly. I have believed certain teachers over the years without researching anything bad about them. We need to be vigilant. We need to test every belief, every teacher, every church in light of God's Word (the Holy Bible).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
@I Love Archeology & History

Again, do not believe anyone. Check everything with the Bible. I would check out EVERY denomination or church or teacher on the internet and by reading the Bible for yourself before believing in anyone. What do others say that makes them think they are unbiblical?

Take for example the Presbyterian church.
If a person is for believing in the 5 points of Calvinism they would attend a Presbyterian church. I respectfully disagree with all 5 points of Calvinism, especially with the teaching of Unconditional Election in Calvinism. They say that you are saved by election or regeneration before you believe by faith in the gospel (i.e. the gospel is believing that Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and He was risen three days later for your salvation - See: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4). But Romans 1:16 says the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. This is how we are saved. By the gospel, and not by election or God regenerating me before I exercise faith. I do not believe God forces some to be saved and others to not be saved. A basic reading of 1 John 2:2 dispels the idea that God did not die for all so as to offer us the free gift of salvation if we take it. If God forces some to be saved, and others to not be saved against their will then why does Matthew 23:37 say the following?

““O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.”
(Matthew 23:37) (NLT).
I don't believe in the 5 points of calvinism either. I actually believe in all 5 points of Arminianism.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in the 5 points of calvinism either. I actually believe in all 5 points of Arminianism.

Here are the Original 5 Articles (or Points) of Traditional Arminianism:

1. Conditional Election.
  2. Unlimited Atonement.
  3. Total Depravity.
  4. Prevenient Grace.
  5. Conditional Preservation of the Saints.

Five Articles of Remonstrance - Wikipedia

I believe in something close to this.

Here are my points (that are similar to Arminianism):

#1. Conditional Election (Based upon God’s Foreknowledge).
#2. Conditional Salvation.
#3. Unrestricted Initial Drawing(s) & Illumination(s) by God For Majority; A.K.A. Free Will Involving One’s Choice Towards the Lord, Grace, or Salvation (Note: Christ draws all men unto Himself, and God is not willing that any should perish.) (Note: All men are given an opportunity or opportunities by God to understand the "Offer of the Love of the Truth" so that they are able to receive it, or reject it of their own free will. - See: 2 Thessalonians 2:10.).
#4. Provisional Majority Atonement (Based upon God’s Foreknowledge).
#5. Partial Depravity.
Note: My Arminian influenced points on my list above when rearranged spells CCUPP.

The differences in my points are:

(a) I believe in Partial Depravity, and not Total Depravity.

(b) I believe in Conditional Salvation, and not Conditional Preservation of the Saints. I do not believe God forces us against our own will to do what He wants. We need to be faithful (and it is not God who needs to be faithful on our behalf) (Yes, God can protect us, chastise us, etc., but we have to do our part first to make that so) (We are not puppets).

(c) I believe in Majority Atonement and not Unlimited Atonement. I believe that the sacrifice of Christ's atonement is for the majority of the world, and that it is a free will offer for a person to accept as a gift or to reject it of their own choosing, but God has excluded those who worship the beast in the future from the Lamb's book of life (See: Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8) (Note: While I am sure they had a free will choice to accept Christ, they were never going to do that and God knew that fact; They would do something that could never be forgiven).

(d) Unrestricted Initial Drawing(s) & Illumination(s) by God For Majority and not Prevenient Grace. They are similar but not exactly the same. My view takes into account that God desires all men to be saved, and it also takes into account Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8. Prevenient Grace does not also clarify that God may not make multiple attempts to try and save a person, as well.

Then again, do not take my word for what I have stated. Do your own homework with God's Word and check to see whether these things be so or not. Remember. Trust no one when it comes to what the Word of God says. Yes, there are things many believers may agree on for sure like the Trinity, etc. but there are other things out there that I have discovered we clearly do not agree on. Let God and His Word be your guide, brother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Here are the Original 5 Articles (or Points) of Traditional Arminianism:

1. Conditional Election.
  2. Unlimited Atonement.
  3. Total Depravity.
  4. Prevenient Grace.
  5. Conditional Preservation of the Saints.

Five Articles of Remonstrance - Wikipedia

I believe in something close to this.

Here are my points (that are similar to Arminianism):

#1. Conditional Election (Based upon God’s Foreknowledge).
#2. Conditional Salvation.
#3. Unrestricted Initial Drawing(s) & Illumination(s) by God For Majority; A.K.A. Free Will Involving One’s Choice Towards the Lord, Grace, or Salvation (Note: Christ draws all men unto Himself, and God is not willing that any should perish.) (Note: All men are given an opportunity or opportunities by God to understand the "Offer of the Love of the Truth" so that they are able to receive it, or reject it of their own free will. - See: 2 Thessalonians 2:10.).
#4. Provisional Majority Atonement (Based upon God’s Foreknowledge).
#5. Partial Depravity.
Note: My Arminian influenced points on my list above when rearranged spells CCUPP.

The differences in my points are:

(a) I believe in Partial Depravity, and not Total Depravity.

(b) I believe in Conditional Salvation, and not Conditional Preservation of the Saints. I do not believe God forces us against our own will to do what He wants. We need to be faithful (and it is not God who needs to be faithful on our behalf) (Yes, God can protect us, chastise us, etc., but we have to do our part first to make that so) (We are not puppets).

(c) I believe in Majority Atonement and not Unlimited Atonement. I believe that the sacrifice of Christ's atonement is for the majority of the world, and that it is a free will offer for a person to accept as a gift or to reject it of their own choosing, but God has excluded those who worship the beast in the future from the Lamb's book of life (See: Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8) (Note: While I am sure they had a free will choice to accept Christ, they were never going to do that and God knew that fact; They would do something that could never be forgiven).

(d) Unrestricted Initial Drawing(s) & Illumination(s) by God For Majority and not Prevenient Grace. They are similar but not exactly the same. My view takes into account that God desires all men to be saved, and it also takes into account Revelation 13:8, and Revelation 17:8. Prevenient Grace does not also clarify that God may not make multiple attempts to try and save a person, as well.

Then again, do not take my word for what I have stated. Do your own homework with God's Word and check to see whether these things be so or not. Remember. Trust no one when it comes to what the Word of God says. Yes, there are things many believers may agree on for sure like the Trinity, etc. but there are other things out there that I have discovered we clearly do not agree on. Let God and His Word be your guide, brother.
That is a very interesting take on it. I will have to look up what God says so I can figure these things out myself. Thank you for telling me what you believe. It gives me an idea on how in depth everyone thinks about the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I also have discovered that sometimes there are things that I have learned from some groups that I strongly disagree with. While I will not seek teachings from Catholic, Orthodox sources, I have agreed with apologetic resources (evidences for the Bible) and young Earth creationism in Protestant denominations (even though I do not agree with Once Saved Always Saved or Belief Alone-ism in Protestantism) (Note: I believe salvation is in both God's grace through faith in Christ, and in Sanctification, i.e. holy living).

Although I am strongly against Calvinism, there is a Christian movie director (Rich Christiano, a Calvinist) who made two excellent Christian films that has nothing to do with Calvinism at all. They are films to inspire a person to want to follow the Lord Jesus Christ and for us to see the sad state morally we are in within these last days within the church. I would highly recommend these Christian films to help a new believer to get serious about their faith in following Jesus. But I would caution them that the director is Calvinist (even though there are no Calvinistic teachings within his Christian films so far). Anyways, here are the trailers for these two films (if you are interested):

Anyways, based on the fact that you said you like the Amish, my favorite songs that are from more conservatives who look Amish (but are not exactly Amish) is from this Christian family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a very interesting take on it. I will have to look up what God says so I can figure these things out myself. Thank you for telling me what you believe. It gives me an idea on how in depth everyone thinks about the Bible.

You are welcome.
Oh, and of course pray for the truth on it, too, brother.

Peace and blessings be unto you in the Lord today.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello everyone,

I just accept all of the Trinitarian denominations, with their inconsistencies and their foibles tucked into a trunk in my attic. If a single human being responds to Jesus Christ as represented in the pages of the New Testament letters and books, considers the poignancy of the Trinitarian concept as it has been traditionally engaged and transmitted, and with the help of the Holy Spirit makes an ongoing effort to repent and reform his life to reflect that of Christ's, then what more is there?

In short, I wouldn't worry much about denominational identity. Just pick a church that seems to have its love and biblical base both in working order, and attend.

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I just accept all of the Trinitarian denominations, with their inconsistencies and their foibles tucked into a trunk in my attic. If a single human being responds to Jesus Christ as represented in the pages of the New Testament works, considers the poignancy of the Trinitarian concept as it has been traditionally engaged and transmitted, and with the help of the Holy Spirit makes an ongoing effort to repent and reform his life to reflect that of Christ's, then what more is there?

In short, I wouldn't worry much about denominational identity. Just pick a church that seems to have its love and biblical base both in working order, and attend.

Peace.
Lots of people have been telling me this as well. I think I'll have to just man up and go somewhere and make some friends there and ignore what they teach. I mean, that is a big part, but perhaps I am being too critical.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lots of people have been telling me this as well. I think I'll have to just man up and go somewhere and make some friends there and ignore what they teach. I mean, that is a big part, but perhaps I am being too critical.

If they truly love you and have integrity, and they're doing their best to teach the New Testament within the bounds of Trinitarian theology, then it's probably as good a place as any to worship and fellowship.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If this is the case, then I would choose Protestant churches (not Calvinist Protestant ones) if your purpose is to evangelize them in secret. Protestant churches seem to be the closest to the truth (even though I still strongly disagree with them). Granted, I could not do it because I am strongly against Once Saved Always Saved and or Belief Alone-ism (and I could not help but to rebuke them), but if you are looking to make friends and to witness to them in a subtle way, then by all means. Just do not let their teachings influence you, brother. I would also still encourage you to find sold out believers who follow Jesus, too. Keep praying to find such believers (No matter how long it takes).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't advise doing that. Not just like that.

While there is some good common sense to that advice, there still are fundamental differences between the denominations that do matter. They may not matter when it comes to your eternal salvation, but they do matter when it comes to truth vs. error...which most of us give lip service to every day.

In short, I'd recommend at least SOME study of the main branches of Christianity, along with the major differences.

And then I'd check out the local churches that are available to you. It's of little value for you to find the denomination that you are convinced has everything right...but the nearest congregation is 100 miles away!

And then I would take a month or so to VISIT the leading contenders. At lot can be learned by just keeping your eyes and ears open and brain working during just one simple Sunday visit.

Then choose your church and--as others advised you--do not worry unnecessarily about the choice.

:)

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If this is the case, then I would choose Protestant churches (not Calvinist Protestant ones) if your purpose is to evangelize them in secret. Protestant churches seem to be the closest to the truth (even though I still strongly disagree with them). Granted, I could not do it because I am strongly against Once Saved Always Saved and or Belief Alone-ism (and I could not help but to rebuke them), but if you are looking to make friends and to witness to them in a subtle way, then by all means. Just do not let their teachings influence you, brother. I would also still encourage you to find sold out believers who follow Jesus, too. Keep praying to find such believers (No matter how long it takes).

What church follows the Bible the closest? I do not believe in once saved always saved either. For the longest time I have been looking for a church that fits the "evangelical born-again Christian" title but I am unable to find that certain church. Would you know? Also, would the church that suggest be 5 point arminianism if one such thing exists?

Upvote 0