Do I have to be in any certain denomination?

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Use common sense and do research into good Bible-based churches; check their websites, listen to their sermons online, read their reviews, and visit if possible. I lean towards non-denominational churches or Christain churches. Im not into mormon, RC, or catholic churches. Church started as small groups of people gathering in homes once upon a time. Everyone has preferences. I just really believe God made it easy for us by giving us the commandments.

You completely missed the whole point of what I asked. Every denomination swears they are following the Bible. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!! Even the cults (Mormons, JW's) will use a King James Bible to "prove" that they are Bible-based. I used to work with a JW and he insisted that all theological discussions be based in the Bible alone.

Here's my point. You speak about using "common sense." Doesn't common sense tell you that the worship that took place in the first couple of centuries of the Christian faith is going to be far closer to what Jesus taught than something that was invented in the 18th or 19th century and cannot be found in the writings of the first Christian pastors? You cannot find the so-called "Bible-based" churches in the first or second or third century. The idea of "believer's baptism" which is very popular with "Bible churches" did not exist for 1600 years until invented by the Anabaptists. The idea that the Lord's Supper is simply a bare memorial also started in the 16th century. That is not what the first Christians believed.

So here is the question for you. Are you going to worship where it is pleasing to you, where you think you should, or are you going to do some research into the Early Church, find out what they taught, believed, and did, and go there? If Jesus established a Church and taught the Apostles the truth, then the way that they worshiped in the first couple of centuries shows us what Jesus taught and hence, what He expects us to do.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Light of the East, if it's that complicated, Pray and worship him directly. Speak directly to him, and give him all the praise :amen:

That's not complicated at all. Why would you not want to read the writings of the first pastors in the Church and do what they say? Why would you not want to believe exactly as they believed? And why would you want to follow men who invented ideas about Christianity some 1600 years later?

And Christ died for THE CHURCH, which the Bible says is His Body? Why would you not want to find His Body and be part of it?

Upvote 0