Do I have to be in any certain denomination?

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination. I've been to Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches. I was even involved in the Amish anabaptist churches (though they have their church services in other member's front rooms, barns, etc instead of having church in a certain building. To them, church is anywhere which is true. That was a really unique take on 'church'.)

The issue is that I don't know which denomination to go to. I wanted to go to a Greek Orthodox church because God gave me a sign. I went into town the other day, scoped out a Catholic church for me to potentially go to so I would finally quit going from church to church (because God gave me a sign to go to a Catholic church), and lo' and behold, a Greek Orthodox priest came to me and pretty much convinced me to be in the Greek Orthodox church instead of a Catholic church. And who am I to disobey God's sign? So, I went and looked up the Greek Orthodox church, read what they are about, and now I have my sights set out to go to a Greek Orthodox church and to talk about getting involved with that.

This same thing actually happened to me when I was in another state (Ohio to be exact, which is my home state.) I went to the local Baptist church, and a nice Amish man came up to me and told me that being Amish was the way to go. That was fun to be honest. Working out, being Amish, dressing like them, plowing, etc. It was hard work! I moved though to NC so I had to pick another church.

The issue though with moving and picking another church is that I don't really know if what I am doing is right and if I act on things too quickly. I have Asperger's syndrome you see, so seeing God's signs is quite difficult for me. So when I see a sign I'm so excited because those are normally small things that I miss due to my autism and so I act on those right away! (This is why I have 8 different bibles in my house by the way. I go and buy a study bible on the Baptists then one on the Anabaptists and then one on this denomination, and then one and another one. It is because I think God wants me to know more about that certain denomination because he wants me to be in it! It is because he gave me a sign! If I have autism and it's hard for me to see signs then God shows me a sign instantly and I act on it! In those moments I feel so close to God but then he tells me to change and then I am away from God again :sigh:)

In all honesty though, I'm actually sort of scared to choose a denomination because I'm afraid that I will miss God's signs because I will be blinded by that denomination's thought process, but at the same time I feel like God wants me to be in a denomination on purpose so I can get his message in the best way and so I can be even more closer to the church which means that I can be closer to God. Right now I'm struggling with the thought of being in the Greek Orthodox church and going to that church and having the right things done to officially be in that church. Yesterday, I was struggling with being in the Catholic church. It's all very confusing and God just keeps throwing signs at me and I have to weed it all out despite me being held back by my autism.

A secondary problem is that I can't really get "closer" to God unless I'm at a church (aka being involved in a denomination.) And you know that there are many denominations of churches so who is to say that the denomination that I'm in is one that God would not agree with? I obviously won't see God in a church that he would not agree with so I can't get "closer" to God so he can give me more direct answers instead of vague ones like I'm getting now. If I find that God wants me somewhere else then it's like a light switch and that church doesn't help me anymore, and I have to to go another church. It is a little sad. I guess I'm following the holy spirit??

I find though that if I am in church I get very VERY direct answers and my life goes well. But then when I am away or when God calls me somewhere else and I am in question and I cannot ask a pastor about something then I get lost because I don't know.

Could I have some advice on this? This has been a lifelong struggle with me and I am not sure how I can maneuver this life when I have issues trying to see God's signs clearly. I don't think he wants me to switch churches like you switch out a pair of socks but I'm just so confused and I don't know what to do. I pray a lot but I'm scared that if I ask God to slow down he will stop giving me signs all together and I will just end up in a church that does not show me any of Gods signs. Despite me going nearly nuts about this, I wouldn't want him to put me on the back burner and stop giving me his gifts because I don't want to sound ungrateful. I've had some great things happen to me under God! I'm just scared that I will be without God's gift again and I will fall into a deep state of depression without him like before.

Could anyone help me out on this? Thank you

(also, yes, you might say that I'm gullible but I can never tell if it's the person talking or if it is God speaking through the person. I find that if I reject what I am given then things do not go well for me [I get sad] so I just stay quiet and just go with it (least the alternative is being depressed again if I ignore God).)

Last edited:

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination

Why?
What do you believe? Do you know what the different denominations believe?
Is any particular belief of a denomination important to you or the reverse aborant to you?

May I suggest you work out what you believe, possible by attending a Christianity explored course, this would help you with evangelical protestant believe, there are courses run by the RC if a more ritualistic faith is important to you.

You could also read the statements of faith from the churches in your town and look at there online services.

Ultimately we are saved by our faith in Jesus not by our attendance at a particular church, so go to what ever church you think is most seeking to practise what it preached.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Why?
What do you believe? Do you know what the different denominations believe?
Is any particular belief of a denomination important to you or the reverse aborant to you?

May I suggest you work out what you believe, possible by attending a Christianity explored course, this would help you with evangelical protestant believe, there are courses run by the RC if a more ritualistic faith is important to you.

You could also read the statements of faith from the churches in your town and look at there online services.

Ultimately we are saved by our faith in Jesus not by our attendance at a particular church, so go to what ever church you think is most seeking to practise what it preached.

I really enjoyed the Amish. I found that their sense of community was very uplifting and I saw God work in the lives of those people. If I was low in spirits then all I had to do was follow their example and I was back to being on the right path.

If you know someone who has Asperger's syndrome, then you will know that they are very indecisive which is how I am too sadly. I can still see something and still be unsure because my mind isn't acting right. I'm basically in hyperdrive all of the time and I'm going bonkers and going to all types of strange conclusions. It's like anxiety where you worry about strange things but with me these "strange things" are how my mind just naturally thinks and reaches conclusion. It's trial and error essentially. Just go down the line and cross off what does and does not work and do it in the exact same order every time. It sucks for me. It really REALLY does.

To add to this, I see denominations as "bridges" to God. God can give me smoke signals from the other side of the river but you know that smoke signals are very vague. I feel like if I want to really know what God is saying then I need to cross that bridge (get involved in that denomination) to get close and personal with God so I can get his message clearly.

I just get upset though when he up and tells me to go to another bridge (going to another denomination) to reach him because if I don't then I'm swept away in the river and I don't get any signs at all. Imagine if someone lights a bridge on fire. You either have to get back across from a distance so the bridge and you don't fall. If not then you fall in. For me, this "falling in" is depression and I have suffered enough from it and I refuse to let it happen to me anymore. I'm tired of feeling bad for myself. I want to help others. I just don't know if I am doing it right. Nothing is simple for me sadly. However, complicated things are easy for me (common sense is hard for me but I'm great with book smarts.)

And this denomination issue? It's a common sense thing and i'm missing it by a whole ballpark and it really hurts me emotionally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And this denomination issue? It's a common sense thing and i'm missing it by a whole ballpark and it really hurts me emotionally.

I would repeat, attend the church that you think practises what it preached.

That you should attend that church each week, get to know the members, volunteer where ever you can help and accept the help, councelling that the Inkster and others can offer.
This would not stop you testing other churches, but would settle you in one place to learn and grow as you serve in that community. You would also provide that community with the chance to serve as they care and welcome you.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination.

Here is what the bible says on this question

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19:10

And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

You need to follow the word of GOD and find a denomination that fulfills the two requirements above and it is not the mormons. There is only one The Seventh day Adventist

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I would repeat, attend the church that you think practises what it preached.

That you should attend that church each week, get to know the members, volunteer where ever you can help and accept the help, councelling that the Inkster and others can offer.
This would not stop you testing other churches, but would settle you in one place to learn and grow as you serve in that community. You would also provide that community with the chance to serve as they care and welcome you.

You're right. I should stop thinking so much about this. It's much more simpler than what I am making it out to be. I also (I didn't mention this in my original post but I will now) shouldn't look to the Greek Orthodox church just because they have a big and nice building and the priests have beards and they dress nicely and I happen to think that looks cool. I actually need to look into what they teach to see if that is what I want. I need to quit doing everything like that and dig down instead of just scratching the surface and calling it a day. I need to quit being lazy really. Not everything is going to just fall in my lap like I hope it to be. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Here is what the bible says on this question

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19:10

And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

You need to follow the word of GOD and find a denomination that fulfills the two requirements above and it is not the mormons. There is only one The Seventh day Adventist
I will look into it. I just hope that God guides me along that path in a sound way. Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to lay out each and every denomination's belief and basically do choice of elimination to see what I really believe in. I need to do research via the Bible the most to see which denomination follows the bible the closest so I am not misguided.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will look into it. I just hope that God guides me along that path in a sound way.

First, ignore everybody who says "my denomination is the best," without good reasons.

Second, start attending somewhere. Anywhere is better than nowhere.

Third, the key things are Jesus and the Bible. If they're not talking about Jesus, they're not the right place. And if they're not teaching from the Bible, then they're not the right place.

I need to do research via the Bible the most to see which denomination follows the bible the closest so I am not misguided.

Good idea. Every denomination will have a website; every website will have a "what we believe" section (and if they don't, that's a bad sign).

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination. I've been to Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches. I was even involved in the Amish anabaptist churches (though they have their church services in other member's front rooms, barns, etc instead of having church in a certain building. To them, church is anywhere which is true. That was a really unique take on 'church'.)

The issue is that I don't know which denomination to go to. I wanted to go to a Greek Orthodox church because God gave me a sign. I went into town the other day, scoped out a Catholic church for me to potentially go to so I would finally quit going from church to church (because God gave me a sign to go to a Catholic church), and lo' and behold, a Greek Orthodox priest came to me and pretty much convinced me to be in the Greek Orthodox church instead of a Catholic church. And who am I to disobey God's sign? So, I went and looked up the Greek Orthodox church, read what they are about, and now I have my sights set out to go to a Greek Orthodox church and to talk about getting involved with that.

This same thing actually happened to me when I was in another state (Ohio to be exact, which is my home state.) I went to the local Baptist church, and a nice Amish man came up to me and told me that being Amish was the way to go. That was fun to be honest. Working out, being Amish, dressing like them, plowing, etc. It was hard work! I moved though to NC so I had to pick another church.

The issue though with moving and picking another church is that I don't really know if what I am doing is right and if I act on things too quickly. I have Asperger's syndrome you see, so seeing God's signs is quite difficult for me. So when I see a sign I'm so excited because those are normally small things that I miss due to my autism and so I act on those right away! (This is why I have 8 different bibles in my house by the way. I go and buy a study bible on the Baptists then one on the Anabaptists and then one on this denomination, and then one and another one. It is because I think God wants me to know more about that certain denomination because he wants me to be in it! It is because he gave me a sign! If I have autism and it's hard for me to see signs then God shows me a sign instantly and I act on it! In those moments I feel so close to God but then he tells me to change and then I am away from God again :sigh:)

In all honesty though, I'm actually sort of scared to choose a denomination because I'm afraid that I will miss God's signs because I will be blinded by that denomination's thought process, but at the same time I feel like God wants me to be in a denomination on purpose so I can get his message in the best way and so I can be even more closer to the church which means that I can be closer to God. Right now I'm struggling with the thought of being in the Greek Orthodox church and going to that church and having the right things done to officially be in that church. Yesterday, I was struggling with being in the Catholic church. It's all very confusing and God just keeps throwing signs at me and I have to weed it all out despite me being held back by my autism.

A secondary problem is that I can't really get "closer" to God unless I'm at a church (aka being involved in a denomination.) And you know that there are many denominations of churches so who is to say that the denomination that I'm in is one that God would not agree with? I obviously won't see God in a church that he would not agree with so I can't get "closer" to God so he can give me more direct answers instead of vague ones like I'm getting now. If I find that God wants me somewhere else then it's like a light switch and that church doesn't help me anymore, and I have to to go another church. It is a little sad. I guess I'm following the holy spirit??

I find though that if I am in church I get very VERY direct answers and my life goes well. But then when I am away or when God calls me somewhere else and I am in question and I cannot ask a pastor about something then I get lost because I don't know.

Could I have some advice on this? This has been a lifelong struggle with me and I am not sure how I can maneuver this life when I have issues trying to see God's signs clearly. I don't think he wants me to switch churches like you switch out a pair of socks but I'm just so confused and I don't know what to do. I pray a lot but I'm scared that if I ask God to slow down he will stop giving me signs all together and I will just end up in a church that does not show me any of Gods signs. Despite me going nearly nuts about this, I wouldn't want him to put me on the back burner and stop giving me his gifts because I don't want to sound ungrateful. I've had some great things happen to me under God! I'm just scared that I will be without God's gift again and I will fall into a deep state of depression without him like before.

Could anyone help me out on this? Thank you

(also, yes, you might say that I'm gullible but I can never tell if it's the person talking or if it is God speaking through the person. I find that if I reject what I am given then things do not go well for me [I get sad] so I just stay quiet and just go with it (least the alternative is being depressed again if I ignore God).)

You don't need a sign, signs can be misleading.
2 Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

What you need is a good working knowledge of the scriptures and the Holy Spirits guidance.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Only then can you test the spirits and test the teaching you are receiving from the church you are attending.
1 John 4
Test the Spirits
4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

Matthew 7:15
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

They appear harmless

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!
If the Gospel is different they are under God's curse.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Good idea. Every denomination will have a website; every website will have a "what we believe" section (and if they don't, that's a bad sign).
I've been to maybe 1 or 2 churches where they didn't have any type of belief and I left out of there pretty quickly. The only churches where I've been serious are the Baptists and the Amish honestly. The whole story about the priest coming up to me and he's from the Eastern Orthodox church in my original post really got my attention but I don't know if I should act on it. I seen their churches and it was really beautiful. Lots of paintings and woodwork such. I would need to do research on them if I want to be in their church. I guess I'm just looking for originality I suppose. That is why I was sure that I wanted to be Catholic. I thought "Oh, well, they're the original ones, they must have it all right!" but it wasn't true. They do things that are not approved in the bible. I find that to be the case with a lot of denominations sadly. I was in the OPC which is the Orthodox (Straight traching) Presbyterian church and I really liked that and I was serious with that as well. But something just told me that it was too good to be true. Maybe I am just over-reacting, I'm not sure. I just want to go to a denomination that makes the most sense to me. I need to do a lot of research.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really enjoyed the Amish. I found that their sense of community was very uplifting and I saw God work in the lives of those people. If I was low in spirits then all I had to do was follow their example and I was back to being on the right path.

If you know someone who has Asperger's syndrome, then you will know that they are very indecisive which is how I am too sadly. I can still see something and still be unsure because my mind isn't acting right. I'm basically in hyperdrive all of the time and I'm going bonkers and going to all types of strange conclusions. It's like anxiety where you worry about strange things but with me these "strange things" are how my mind just naturally thinks and reaches conclusion. It's trial and error essentially. Just go down the line and cross off what does and does not work and do it in the exact same order every time. It sucks for me. It really REALLY does.

To add to this, I see denominations as "bridges" to God. God can give me smoke signals from the other side of the river but you know that smoke signals are very vague. I feel like if I want to really know what God is saying then I need to cross that bridge (get involved in that denomination) to get close and personal with God so I can get his message clearly.

I just get upset though when he up and tells me to go to another bridge (going to another denomination) to reach him because if I don't then I'm swept away in the river and I don't get any signs at all. Imagine if someone lights a bridge on fire. You either have to get back across from a distance so the bridge and you don't fall. If not then you fall in. For me, this "falling in" is depression and I have suffered enough from it and I refuse to let it happen to me anymore. I'm tired of feeling bad for myself. I want to help others. I just don't know if I am doing it right. Nothing is simple for me sadly. However, complicated things are easy for me (common sense is hard for me but I'm great with book smarts.)

Hi,
You're on the autism spectrum, so no one will really know how to advise you.

My granddaughter is on the spectrum. She loves God whether she's in or out of church. When she DOES go, it's to a Catholic Church....she likes the priest there and we talk to him a lot and even invite him for lunch with us at times.

Being as how things are with you...you should attend a church where the persons are very friendly and accepting. It seems to me that fellowship is important to you and you should seek this.

I have also found that the Nazarene churches are very good for this reason and their teaching is very good and very pure.

I hope you don't get too worried about what God is trying to tell you. If you're doing good things,,,then God is happy. Whatever church you go to that fills your needs will be fine with Him.

There is only One God. He's everywhere.
God bless you and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was in the OPC which is the Orthodox (Straight traching) Presbyterian church and I really liked that and I was serious with that as well. But something just told me that it was too good to be true.

Maybe you should have stuck with them (maybe, with your Aspergers, you need to distrust your immediate reactions a little bit).

But if you thought the OPC were good, you need to think about the Presbyterian Church in America (a larger conservative Presbyterian denomination) or about conservative Baptists.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been to maybe 1 or 2 churches where they didn't have any type of belief and I left out of there pretty quickly. The only churches where I've been serious are the Baptists and the Amish honestly. The whole story about the priest coming up to me and he's from the Eastern Orthodox church in my original post really got my attention but I don't know if I should act on it. I seen their churches and it was really beautiful. Lots of paintings and woodwork such. I would need to do research on them if I want to be in their church. I guess I'm just looking for originality I suppose. That is why I was sure that I wanted to be Catholic. I thought "Oh, well, they're the original ones, they must have it all right!" but it wasn't true. They do things that are not approved in the bible. I find that to be the case with a lot of denominations sadly. I was in the OPC which is the Orthodox (Straight traching) Presbyterian church and I really liked that and I was serious with that as well. But something just told me that it was too good to be true. Maybe I am just over-reacting, I'm not sure. I just want to go to a denomination that makes the most sense to me. I need to do a lot of research.
The Orthodox church is a good church and it does go back to the beginning of Christianity. I do worry that it might be too serious for you. The services are very long and standing is required most of the time. Could you handle this? A lot of persons there also are not really born again and you won't click with them.

This is also true of the Catholic church. But if you go to a bible study and get involved, you'll find that most persons that do this in the CC will be friendly.

Every church will have some practices that you do not agree with. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

If you go to a Catholic Church you may have to do some studying with them, which is called RCIA.
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults.

If you want to find out about the CC, get a copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church also known as the CCC. It's a very beautiful read anyway...the paperback version is what I have and it's fine.

P.S. I also agree with @Sabertooth
Assembly of God is a good church.

CCC.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe you should have stuck with them (maybe, with your Aspergers, you need to distrust your immediate reactions a little bit).

But if you thought the OPC were good, you need to think about the Presbyterian Church in America (a larger conservative Presbyterian denomination) or about conservative Baptists.
That's not a bad idea actually.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Orthodox church is a good church and it does go back to the beginning of Christianity. I do worry that it might be too serious for you. The services are very long and standing is required most of the time. Could you handle this? A lot of persons there also are not really born again and you won't click with them.

This is also true of the Catholic church. But if you go to a bible study and get involved, you'll find that most persons that do this in the CC will be friendly.

Every church will have some practices that you do not agree with. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

If you go to a Catholic Church you may have to do some studying with them, which is called RCIA.
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults.

If you want to find out about the CC, get a copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church also known as the CCC. It's a very beautiful read anyway...the paperback version is what I have and it's fine.

P.S. I also agree with @Sabertooth
Assembly of God is a good church.

View attachment 278909

I wouldn't want to be around people that weren't born again. I like being around people that know that they have messed up and that they are willing to fix it at any cost. That is the Christian and that is what I like to see. It's being human and it is willing to own up to it and fix it and getting at the heart of the issue and that is what I like most. It's knowing how to apply God to you and having other people help you. Fellowship 101 and that makes me the happiest the most. I like the friendliness of the people too. Always what I like to see!

Also, about the Orthodox church, I don't really know if I'd want to be all that serious either while being in there. I like the singing but that is about it. It reminds me of the theme song to a video game series I used to play called Halo ^_^

The smoke lamp thing that they swing around is sort of cool and the fact that God lives in items which (I think maybe) is Biblically accurate but I'll have to look it up. There's a lot more that I have to find out for myself but it's a weigh off. You get some false things with some true things and that is the thing with me and the churches that I go to a lot of times. Some really good suggestions that others have considered that I actually might consider are 1: Vineyard, 2: Assembly of God, 3: non-denominational, 4: Presbyterian Church of America, 5: Nazarene, 6: Conservative Baptist.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't want to be around people that weren't born again. I like being around people that know that they have messed up and that they are willing to fix it at any cost. That is the Christian and that is what I like to see. It's being human and it is willing to own up to it and fix it and getting at the heart of the issue and that is what I like most. It's knowing how to apply God to you and having other people help you. Fellowship 101 and that makes me the happiest the most. I like the friendliness of the people too. Always what I like to see!

Also, about the Orthodox church, I don't really know if I'd want to be all that serious either while being in there. I like the singing but that is about it. It reminds me of the theme song to a video game series I used to play called Halo ^_^

The smoke lamp thing that they swing around is sort of cool and the fact that God lives in items which (I think maybe) is Biblically accurate but I'll have to look it up. There's a lot more that I have to find out for myself but it's a weigh off. You get some false things with some true things and that is the thing with me and the churches that I go to a lot of times. Some really good suggestions that others have considered that I actually might consider are 1: Vineyard, 2: Assembly of God, 3: non-denominational, 4: Presbyterian Church of America, 5: Nazarene, 6: Conservative Baptist.
I like 1, 2 and 5.
The Assemblies of God believe is speaking in tongues as a sign of having received the Holy Spirit.

The Nazarene church is pretty cut and dry and good. I went to one for about 10 years before moving here.
I hear good things about the Vineyard. I'm not familiar enough with the others.

The important thing is to feel comfortable there and to feel like you're being taught the Word of God.
So many strange ideas out there today.

I agree with you that it's so important to understand human nature. People that are nice and good persons have a difficult time understanding how some could be so mean. I had difficulty with this until I became a Christian and began to understand about the sin nature that we're born with and that only God can transform us.

I'm so happy that you're a believer and trust in God.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with you that it's so important to understand human nature. People that are nice and good persons have a difficult time understanding how some could be so mean. I had difficulty with this until I became a Christian and began to understand about the sin nature that we're born with and that only God can transform us.

I'm so happy that you're a believer and trust in God.

Thank you. I'm glad you are one too. It feels great being a Christian honestly. I used to be without God and I felt really lost but now that I am saved I feel like nothing can stop me. It's just that while I can't be stopped, I don't know which denomination to direct my full attention to; but the 6 I mentioned I will look into. 1, 2, and 5 I will look into in specific since you seem pretty level headed and not out to force me into a church and you seem very genuine in what you say so I feel like I should trust you more. I'd rather be a true Christian belonging to a certain denomination rather than "Christian in the name only" or "Christian in the church, sinner at home" type of deal.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been struggling with the thought of going to a certain denomination. I've been to Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. churches.

If the whole range of Christian churches is open to you, yes, you need to find the right one for you--and do not make it solely about the "feel" of the ceremony and the building, which you've mentioned before.

That has some importance, but the beliefs of the church(es) is more critical. That suggests that you either find a church which is offering an introduction to Christianity for interested non-members (such as the "Alpha" course or the one called "Christianity Explored") or else, do a lot of study on your own.

The main hint of a doctrinal leaning that I've gotten from your posts is that you are a believer in direct inspiration (hearing the voice of God or feeling him leading you in some way). If that is the deciding factor, one of the Pentecostal churches (like the Assemblies of God) or the Wesleyan/Nazarene churches or the Quakers might be worth being looked at most closely.

Upvote 0