GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a local drive-in theater? I thought they had gone the way of the dinosaur, but somebody posted they had seen Spider Man 3 at a drive-in.

The last place I had actually seen one still used as a drive-in theater, as opposed to being operated soley as a flea market site, was in Antioch, CA, and it closed and was bulldozed sometime in 1990 or '91 to make way for a Super K-Mart.

We had a great one in Grayslake, Illinois when I left in 1986, but I don't know if it's still there.

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We do... but I think it is disappearing before too long.

NOT something I lament, by the way. Sure, from a nostalgic standpoint I can understand everyone's trepidation about them disappearing. But really... watching a movie in a car? Seriously? I don't know about everyone else, but I am looking for ANY excuse to NOT stay in my car for anything.

Same with those fast food places where you park and they bring the food out to you. What. The. Heck. It makes no sense to me what so ever.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
NOT something I lament, by the way. Sure, from a nostalgic standpoint I can understand everyone's trepidation about them disappearing. But really... watching a movie in a car? Seriously? I don't know about everyone else, but I am looking for ANY excuse to NOT stay in my car for anything.

You don't have kids, do you? ;)

Let's see...

I can pay $30+ just to get in to the theater with my entire family....or pay $7 for a car load at a drive-in...and the drive-in is always a double feature!!

...at the drive-in, the kids can wear their jammies and fall asleep if they want to...

...at the drive-in, my family can talk and goof around during boring parts of a movie...

...at the drive-in, if the kids are cutting up during a good part of the movie, I can snarl at them without worrying about getting a tap on the shoulder by CPS...

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

FireRock

Call me a dreamer of the seemingly unattainable...
Aug 23, 2004
Kansas City, Missouri
✟20,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a drive-in roughly half an hour or something from where I live, and it doesn't look like it's going to get closed up and torn down anytime soon.

Saw PotC2 there and stayed for a little bit of Cars. It was a great experience. My roommate has a Saturn Vue though, so we threw a bunch of blankets and pillows in the back and left the hatch open and the radio up. It was so much fun.

Unfortunately, she worried about her battery dying, so about halfway through she turned her vehicle around and we watched from the front seats. I thought it was really fun though!

You can walk around if your legs get stiff. You get your own private viewing booth. :) We bought Subway and ate it there. I mean, it's almost better than going to the theater...but I enjoy going to the movies when there isn't a lot of people there. Too many people and they start to get talky and rude during the movie.

I'm a sacred movie watcher. :p

I think if I had to take my car or something and didn't want to sit inside, I could just roll down all the windows and sit on the hood or trunk. I think it's just such a fun experience. I'm excited for the next time we decide to go.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are 2 reasonably close to us, though we haven't been in years. I love drive-ins in the spring and fall but summer is just too hot & humid here in MS. Winter isn't bad if they rent the little heaters. I love it and you can bring your own refreshments for a fraction of the cost. $.35 for a soda is much better than $3.50.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

knownbeforetime

Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power
Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to live an hour away from one. It's only open in the summer though. It is a blast. $10 for a car load. Bring your own snacks or even dinner. Nobody cares what you wear. AND the double feature!

Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is at least one left here in Tulsa, OK, but it is fairly run-down and shabby-looking. Still, it probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It has two screens, although I do not know if they show different films on either side of it or the same feature on two sides so they can have more people able to view it.

Also, it was built awhile back, so it is a squashed screen, more square in shape than rectangular. It always shows the images horizontally squashed, and I don't care for it, therefore. I haven't seen a drive-in movie since the summer of 1981, when I went and saw Friday the Thirteenth Part II, the sort of film I won't go and watch anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a local drive-in theater? I thought they had gone the way of the dinosaur, but somebody posted they had seen Spider Man 3 at a drive-in.

The last place I had actually seen one still used as a drive-in theater, as opposed to being operated soley as a flea market site, was in Antioch, CA, and it closed and was bulldozed sometime in 1990 or '91 to make way for a Super K-Mart.

We had a great one in Grayslake, Illinois when I left in 1986, but I don't know if it's still there.
I started in the exhibition field professionally in 1950 and have worked many drive-ins as well as owning several "hard-tops".

While there were abour 5,ooo drive-ins in the United States in the 50s and 60s that number had dwindelled to to about 400 a decade ago. However, drive-ins are being built at the rate of about two per year and the number is approaching 500 today. The owners have an organizational website at United Drive-in Owners Association.org or you can type in "drive-in theatres" in any search engine and it will bring up dozens of websites for individual drive-ins.

Upvote 0

CarrieAg93

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2004
Texas
✟19,397.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have one not too far from us in Granbury, TX. It's $18 for a car load and they show 2 movies a night. They try to keep the movies family friendly. Very rarely do they show a rated R movie. We love it and with 3 kids it's a baragain.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You don't have kids, do you? ;)

Let's see...

I can pay $30+ just to get in to the theater with my entire family....or pay $7 for a car load at a drive-in...and the drive-in is always a double feature!!

...at the drive-in, the kids can wear their jammies and fall asleep if they want to...

...at the drive-in, my family can talk and goof around during boring parts of a movie...

...at the drive-in, if the kids are cutting up during a good part of the movie, I can snarl at them without worrying about getting a tap on the shoulder by CPS...

Yep, all true! ^_^ :thumbsup: My kids are all adults now,but we used to go to the drive-in for a family night when they were kids.

Upvote 0