✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Matthew 7:20-23

21 “Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Things got so contentious over this charismatic stuff in OBOB that they split off a separate Catholic Charismatics forum that I think died out from lack of traffic.

In an academic sense, the whole thing is interesting, because the arguments do not break down along the typical conservative versus liberal or progressive lines. Like how often are Virgil the Roman and I on the same side of an argument? ;) He's very traditionalist and I'm very progressive and we're both to one degree or another wary of the charismatic movement. Meanwhile, supporters of the charismatic movement can be both fairly conservative and fairly progressive.

Though I'm wary of it, I am trying to take care not to completely discount it. Certainly, there are those who seem to get something out of it, Popes have accepted it to some degree, and I typically tread carefully around anything that claims to be of the Holy Spirit lest I accidently commit that unforgiveable sin mentioned in the bible (You know, just in case). ;)

However, I have to be honest, were I in a setting where I saw this charismatic stuff going on, I would quietly walk out, start my car, and get out of there. My experience with this was not good. Not as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard, but I can't handle that type of craziness in almost any setting. Its just too much for me. If people get something out of it, though, I am certainly not telling them not to go and do their things. If it spread to the point where one couldn't find a mass without it, though, you wouldn't see me at a mass. Some people really need something quieter and more contemplative, regardless of the spiritual merits of this or lack thereof.

I remember the charismatics getting such a hard time in OBOB. At the time I thought it was a shame. After experiencing my own personal charismatic revival last Pentecost I paid their forum a visit. It is very quiet over there but I was surprised by some of the members. People I had considered fairly 'sober', for a lack of a better word.

The problem I'm having here is sifting out what issues people have with in the CCR as opposed to bad experiences they've had outside the Church. I guess could go back and decipher them but at this point it's all mixed up and confusing. Being Catholic, I'm really only interested in the Catholic perspective and I wonder if the negative connotations are being cast upon us because of charismatics in the protestant tradition.

The CCR never gained much traction here in Tucson. My only experience with charismatics was at a bible study held in a private home but it wasn't presented as a charismatic event. My issue was with what seemed to be false teaching. The teacher taught what seemed to be some form of OSAS; that there was no sin for those who are in Christ, and they couldn't lose their salvation. If the 'saved' person did sin, that was called concupiscence or as she put it, 'you've used the bathroom and flushed the toilet, but it still stinks'.

Pondering over this one day a voice whispered in my heart to go read 1 John. It's there that I read that if anyone says they are without sin then they are a liar.

There was a lot of praying in the spirit. I remember she was teaching about Noah and how it hadn't rained on Earth until the great flood. Something whispered in my ears "raindrops". I went home and started doing some research and discovered fossilized raindrops. What happened there I don't know, but I told my friend about it and he told me about fossilized human footprints being discovered next to dinosaur footprints.

I went to talk to my pastor/spiritual adviser about what had happened and he suggested that I might have the gift of discernment. If it is a gift, it's not much of one because if you can hear the good spirits you can hear the bad ones as well and I don't like stuff whispering in my ear. I try not to think of that too much.

The lesson I learned here is not to go to bible studies not held on church property. My friend tells me all of her teachings had been approved by the bishop of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Look at the video above:
Danny Castle - Why We Don't Speak In Tongues
This guys speaks the truth!

Maybe it's a personal flaw of mine, but I don't give a lot of credence to baptist preachers.

None of the last four popes have spoken out against the use of tongues.

So who am going to believe? A baptist preacher? Or, the Successor of St. Peter? :priest:

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last week during Wednesday daily mass father didn't have a homily for us but just a thought on the Gospel reading.

At that time Jesus exclaimed:
“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to the childlike.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father.
No one knows the Son except the Father,
and no one knows the Father except the Son
and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

The pastor described the prayer of Jesus as an all out cry towards the Father, and this to me is simply what the gift of tongues is all about. It's for those of us who are crying out for a fuller relationship with God, Abba the Father. This is how it is with the two Catholics with whom I'm most familiar with who have shared their experience of this gift with me. To me, it's the fulfillment of the promise of a loving Father:

Which one of you would hand his son a stone when he asks for a loaf of bread, or a snake when he asks for a fish
?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe it's a personal flaw of mine, but I don't give a lot of credence to baptist preachers.

None of the last four popes have spoken out against the use of tongues.

So who am going to believe? A baptist preacher? Or, the Successor of St. Peter? :priest:

Baptist still believe in God. We have different doctrines but the core beliefs are the same.

God is everything to all of us. Christianity is everything to all of us. United we stand in the love of God.

Popes are not infallible. Only on Catholic Doctrine are they infallible. Otherwise they are only 'human'. Prone to sin and mistakes!

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Last week during Wednesday daily mass father didn't have a homily for us but just a thought on the Gospel reading.

At that time Jesus exclaimed:
“I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
for although you have hidden these things
from the wise and the learned
you have revealed them to the childlike.
Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father.
No one knows the Son except the Father,
and no one knows the Father except the Son
and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him.”

The pastor described the prayer of Jesus as an all out cry towards the Father, and this to me is simply what the gift of tongues is all about. It's for those of us who are crying out for a fuller relationship with God, Abba the Father. This is how it is with the two Catholics with whom I'm most familiar with who have shared their experience of this gift with me. To me, it's the fulfillment of the promise of a loving Father:

?

Be careful that ones cry does not entice the devil!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Baptist still believe in God. We have different doctrines but the core beliefs are the same.

God is everything to all of us. Christianity is everything to all of us. United we stand in the love of God.

Popes are not infallible. Only on Catholic Doctrine are they infallible. Otherwise they are only 'human'. Prone to sin and mistakes!

I couldn't get through but the first 15 seconds of that video (I have a low tolerance for protestant preaching). I'm not sure if he ever came after the CCR, but I can imagine he's got enough on his plate within his own tradition, to be coming after the Catholics. My point is, as Catholics it's a mistake to let those outside our faith define what's going on inside our faith and I fear a lot of the confusion on this thread is because protestant belief and practices are getting mixed up with Catholic beliefs and practices.

While I haven't been given the gift of tongues, I have found it's relatively easy to discern the spirits. There's a simple way to tell if something isn't from the Holy Spirit. One can also consider the fruits, and if the charism truly does lead one to a greater love of the Sacred Scriptures and the Holy Eucharist I don't see how one can consider it bad.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
His Scripture quote are relevant to both Catholics and protestants. He had some excellent information which was very relevant to this thread.

Watch the whole of the video and you will see.

We need to watch out for the snares of the devil.

To quote another member on here "All we need is in the Catholic Church". No need to go looking elsewhere for God / Holy Spirit. Where did 'Speaking in Tongues' originate 'outside' of the Bible? Which denomination? Think!

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I truly believe that you are only doing what is right for you. At no stage here have you suggested it is for everyone. I admire anyone who chooses the path less travelled. God Bless you Colin.
What prompted me to start this thread? My brother is a Pentecostal. (has been for a few years now) But he is going through a hard time at the moment because he wants the gift of tongues but God is not responding to his prayer. I think to be surrounded by people who have the gift of tongues and not be able to do it oneself, can affect one's mental health. He is in fact quite depressed at the moment. He used the words going through "spiritual warfare".
That can be a problem with some in Pentecostal churches , Paul .

I think some Pentecostals teach that you are not saved unless you have the charism of tongues .

I only speak from within the Catholic Charismatic Renewal , and that needs to be noted in all I say . I am not speaking about Pentecostalism , the Charismatic Movement , or any other "ism" or "movement" .

I became involved in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal in August 1974 .

I prayed for the Holy Spirit's charism of tongues . I received the charism on Holy Saturday 1975 .

I received the charism when I was having a bath . :D

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
That can be a problem with some in Pentecostal churches , Paul .

I think some Pentecostals teach that you are not saved unless you have the charism of tongues .

I only speak from within the Catholic Charismatic Renewal , and that needs to be noted in all I say . I am not speaking about Pentecostalism , the Charismatic Movement , or any other "ism" or "movement" .

I became involved in the Catholic Charismatic Renewal in August 1974 .

I prayed for the Holy Spirit's charism of tongues . I received the charism on Holy Saturday 1975 .

I received the charism when I was having a bath . :D

How do you know that what you received was the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
You need to read what I posted .

I never mentioned receiving the Holy Spirit in the post you quote .

I received the Holy Spirit many years previously when I was baptised as a baby .

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think Colin deserves to be interrogated anymore. Time for us all to move on, don't you think?

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
His Scripture quote are relevant to both Catholics and protestants. He had some excellent information which was very relevant to this thread.

Watch the whole of the video and you will see.

We need to watch out for the snares of the devil.

To quote another member on here "All we need is in the Catholic Church". No need to go looking elsewhere for God / Holy Spirit. Where did 'Speaking in Tongues' originate 'outside' of the Bible? Which denomination? Think!
speaking in tongues originated at Pentecost. it is God's healing work.
When man was created and multiplied, all men spoke one language. At the building of the Tower of Bable in Genesis, God saw what was happening and that they were using their combined talents and skills in order to compeat with God, and ultimately to rise as high as He was.
Since man was already on earth, instead of casting him out like God did with satan, He came down instead and confused their languages so that they would be forced to halt their usurpers plans and instead find different ways to communicate with each other. That in turn led to different tribes, clans, and countries. and eventually with wars against each other to see who would rule.
At Pentecost, in order to spread the word of the Gospel God healed the language barrier that He had created, and enabled men to understand each other again.
So it did not come from a denomination---God's gift of tongues and understanding them came at Pentecost, and was given to the Apostles for the express purpose of spreadding the Gospel and glorifying God.
anyone who says otherwise is mistaken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I don't think Colin deserves to be interrogated anymore. Time for us all to move on, don't you think?

I don't mind Paul .

I believe that the Catholic Charismatic Renewal is of God , and I will defend it .

If you think the thread has run its course , it might be wise for you as the creator of the OP to request the mods to close it .

I'm easy either way .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
that is the easiest question of all to answer.

if Colin had previously been baptized/received into the Catholic Church, then he was sealed at that time from his head to his feet, and all parts in between with holy oil.
sealed means that He is marked as belonging to Christ, and nothing else can get in. So the potential was there already.
it is for all Catholics who are likewise sealed in the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind Paul .

I believe that the Catholic Charismatic Renewal is of God , and I will defend it .

If you think the thread has run its course , it might be wise for you as the creator of the OP to request the mods to close it .

I'm easy either way .

Thanks for sticking with it, Colin. I'm moved by your graciousness.

And thanks to you too, pdudgeon. I found your posts to be kind and informative as well.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
It still does not say if it is good or evil that is speaking in tongues though.

I don't think St Paul would have said , " I would like every one of you to speak in tongues......I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.......and do not forbid speaking in tongues." if it is evil speaking in tongues .

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Ever hear this so called "speaking in tongues" before? What did you think of it?
I heard of it decades ago through listening to and reading the Scriptures .

It is a charism of the Holy Spirit to be grateful for .

For me personally it is a help in my personal prayer .

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think St Paul would have said , " I would like every one of you to speak in tongues......I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.......and do not forbid speaking in tongues." if it is evil speaking in tongues .

one thing is absolutely for certain: the devil has the same abilities to indwell and cause his own followers to also speak in tongues.
the difference is that they use their tongues to speak against God, and to openly attack His servants, and to revile and physically torture them. St. Padre Pio knew this well indeed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.