Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never heard of any doing so. If someone is speaking in tongues then one would surely have to have another person/s there to understand the language spoken?
Paul describes the gifts of the spirit in Scripture and how they should be used. The gift of tongues is more of a personal thing than what they make it seem in the media or those looney shows Christian TV sometimes has.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a Catholic friend who says the Lord gave him the gift of tongues one night in prayer. I still can't wrap my head around why the Lord would give us a prayer in a language which we can't understand.

He's a pretty interesting guy, one of the more engaged, informed Catholics I know in real life, but has some really strong, and seemingly strange beliefs. I'm still trying to unpack it all.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Yes , Catholics pray in tongues and the Church has exorcists who cast out demons .

This video of leaders of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal at a gathering with Pope John Paul II shows them singing (praying) in tongues , just over five and a half minutes into the video .

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And can they cast out demons?
I was recently told that many protestants believe they have the power to cast out demons in themselves and others by speaking in tongues.
Must be a useful skill to have.

I think so. I heard it once, ecum spiritu tuo. ;)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My brother ( a Pentecostal Protestant) says he has been praying for the gift of tongues, so he can cast out his own demons. He said several members of his Church have the ability but he doesn't want to bother them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have never spoken in tongues, but I've seen it legit happen in the church I grew up in.

My great grandma could cast out demons.
Grandmas are great at casting out demons. Mine used to use a switch! ;)

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is considered to be within modern Roman Catholic theology and practice, but is not very common (i.e. Its easy to go to mass every Sunday your entire life and never see an example of it), is not traditional, and is viewed with skepticism by many lay people who are aware of it. Also, it is not allowed to get as out of hand as in some charismatic denominations- the most questionable extremes from the charismatic movement in general are usually absent from the Roman Catholic version thereof.

I can remember as a preteen or a young teen being roped into a spirtual retreat where they had some sort of a charismatic event one night. I had no idea it would be happening, and probably had no idea what a charismatic was, though they did provide some sort of an introduction to explain what would be happening the night itself. People were babbling nonsense words and laughing and crying uncontrollably in non-ironic ways. Some people collapsed to the ground or ran around. I think others may have claimed to have been seeing visions. Some folks were shouting. I was frankly horrified and just stood there stone faced. People couldn't believe I couldn't "feel the spirit". My impression at the time was that it seemed like a combination of mass delusion, some young people happy to have found a religious excuse to act like crazy people, and some people faking it to go along with the expectations of others. Also, it was extremely crowded, noisy, and choatic. I was not impressed. And it was a divide between me and the others there for the rest of the weekend- I don't think we had any real arguments over it but some people insisted I must have felt some spirit I didn't feel or have seen some things that I didn't see, and I just told them that I didn't feel or see anything apart from the ways people were "reacting".

As an adult, I do know one Roman Catholic who claims to be able to speak in tongues, but who will only say so if asked directly.

I will simply say that it is on a long list of things I have no interest in ever seeing again and pretty much leave it at that. If people get something out of this, provided that they at no point attack or restrain people to "cast out demons" the way some charismatic Protestants have occasionally done, I guess its okay to start babbling in pretend languages and randomly laughing and crying. Who am I to judge? ;) Maybe there is even something to it (Though I doubt it, except in so far as I could I suppose see how praying without real words would be a way of tapping into the universal spirit and feeling the oneness of all things and God in a way others might feel through more traditional prayer and meditation and sacraments. I don't think that's what charismatics claim they are doing, but maybe its a positive thing that happens even if they think its something else they are doing. It clears their minds for more profound spiritual experience. It also could be cathartic for some people, I suppose.).

So, basically, I am not a fan, but I am not going to condemn it either in its less extreme forms. People can go do their thing and I'll make sure not to be in those places at those times and everything will be fine. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a Catholic priest here in Melbourne who's famous for having the gift and speaking in tongues at Mass. I've never witnessed it myself, but have heard reports from others who have. Apparently he has special permission to speak in tongues during the liturgy. (Or at least did; looking up the website for that parish he doesn't seem to be there any more. Maybe he retired).

Anyway. As far as I know speaking in tongues and casting out demons are not connected, except perhaps that people who do the former are more likely to be willing to try the latter. I myself have spoken in tongues but I have never been involved in an exorcism.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.