Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, well; I'm not expecting any sort of sympathetic response. All's relative herein.

I like having you around. You were always one of my most favorite amiable, neighborly traditionalists.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The Modern-day "Charismatic Movement" in the Catholic Church has it roots in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; where, so-called "Charismatic Catholics" got involved with Pentecostals from outside of the Church. The birth of the "Charismatic Renewal" has its origins outside of God's Church; hence, that should give pause to one. It's origins are not of the Church of God, whose soul is the Holy Ghost, but rather outside of it. Outside of the Body of Christ. This movement originates, was birthed from, and stems from heresy; ergo, can it really be of God?! Answer: No.

Find me a "Charismatic Catholic" movement or promotion of Speaking-in-Tongues pre-1960s by any orthodox Catholic bishop or Pope. I want a solid, reputable source. If you can do so, I will oblige and accept this as "genuine". Otherwise, this is just a novelty and more brouhaha from the New Religion, the New Order sect; more chaos from Modernism, the synthesis of all heresies.

This is, for me, a meaningful post and one i agree with

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This may help you develop a better understanding of it complete with Scriptural references. From the Catholic Center for Charismatic Renewal:

http://cccrsa.net/charismaticcenter/what-is-the-gift-of-tongues/

Backing up again to this article, I have several issues/questions.

The first deals with prophesy and the authority of the Church. From the article:

They also pray in tongues during prayer meetings and (if the congregation approves of the practice) during church services like a (Charismatic Mass). In such gatherings, also the third or prophetically dimension of tongues frequently comes into play. Someone who believes that the Holy Spirit is urging him/her will speak aloud for several seconds in tongues. A hush descends upon the group as they then pray and wait for the interpretation, which usually follows within a few minutes.

Such messages are considered to be from God only after the community exercises discernment or spiritual judgment on them. In any case, they are strictly subordinated to the inspired Scriptures, with which they must always agree. They do not bring new revelations not found in the Bible but are more in the line of words of correction, consolation, encouragement and exhortation for the group.

(emphasis mine0

This is not how we determine Truth in the Catholic Church. Any messages received should also be strictly subordinated not just to the Sacred Scriptures, but Sacred Tradition and the 2000 year teaching magisterium of the Church. If the messages are not in line with these three things they need to be dismissed.

The article also mentions, but doesn't describe baptism by the Holy Spirit
The gift of tongues and the baptism in the Holy Spirit are not experiences to rush into.

I thought we we baptized by the Holy Spirit at our baptisms, and this gift was stirred up again at our confirmations. At least that how it worked for me. Although the article didn't go into the specifics of what baptism by the Holy Spirit entails I fear that if it is presented as a separate event, at least in my mind, it indicates my baptism and confirmation weren't good enough and I'm required to seek out this supernatural event.

I'm under the impression that desiring supernatural experiences is a spiritually dangerous path to follow. This is why I don't understand why so many people would be asking for the gifts of tongues. Shouldn't we be happy with the gifts we already have?

In that same vein, the article says the gift of tongues is for people who have problems finding words for their prayers. I don't require a lot of words for my prayers, and as Fr. Rohr says on contemplative prayer, how can you hear the Father if your mind is full of words, no matter what the language?

If I do need to find words for my prayers all I need to do is quiet down and listen to my heart and this comes out:

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thanks to everyone who's added to this thread and for your peaceful spirits. This has really been an interesting read, and my perceptions have been changed. I can see how, for some people, this kind of prayer might be very beneficial.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I will stick to what i consider the 'norm' and stay clear of Charismatic groups and asking for talking in tongues etc.

Yes, i would love the Holy Spirit to guide me but i want that to happen through Gods Grace alone and not by any other means.

Beware of false prophets. Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing! Be on your guard against the devil and his cronies!

God bless everyone and God keep you all safe

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm under the impression that desiring supernatural experiences is a spiritually dangerous path to follow. This is why I don't understand why so many people would be asking for the gifts of tongues. Shouldn't we be happy with the gifts we already have?
I'll pass this on to my brother.

Upvote 0

byrightpaths

Jul 19, 2016
:)
✟7,662.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my experience at a Catholic Charismatic parish I have never heard anyone speak gibberish. However I have seen people fall down to the floor when the priest anoints them with oil. I think Charismatic Catholics and Pentecostals have similarities but have more differences when it comes to the Holy Spirit and how it is viewed.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
It is an insult to the Holy Spirit to refer to one of Its gifts as gibberish .

This is probably one of the most negative threads I have seen at The Lord's Table .

It is sad to see the charisms , gifts of the Spirit treated with such disdain . :(:(:(

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
It would be gibberish if one could not understand what was being said!

Like others have stated, it all started quite recently in the Christian faith. One has to tread carefully. The devil wants us to follow him!

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Colin, I,personally never called it gibberish. I am open minded, having read everything here. I have a LOT of questions. I am too scared to air them here because it seems it may cause high emotion. I am not sure about any of this. I didn't see this threadin a bad lught because people are genuinely, I think, grappling with it. This is not sinful or wrong, in my opinion, nut of course, my opinion may be worth nothing.

I have observed a LOT in my time,regarding this. In various different places and denominations. I have seen Christians being seen as not proper Christians if they do not speak in tongues. I have seen people being told they have demons if they don't speak in tongues or who have reservations. Regarding it. I have seen people who do speak in tongues supposedly casting demons out of those. Who don't - in a very brutal way, often. I have seen so much. Iy therefore troubles me. As it should, given the things. i have seen.

On the other hand I have seen some good fruits come from it. It has been mostly the negative that I have seen, but I have seen SOME good things too.

I would say that notALL receive the gift of tongues. But they may well receive other gifts from the Holy Spirit. I would say that the Holy Spirit works in the life of every Christian. In different ways. Not the same way for everyone.

I am merely saying I am THINKING. This is not a wrong thing to do. To some, it MAY be gibberish. Ley's face it, we are all different. And yes it may sound like gibberish. But I personally did not say the word gibberish.

For me, LOVE is the hreatest thing, as St. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13. That is all I need to know. I have a question about Jesus too. But U need to leave it as I do not wish to cause high emotion.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This is probably one of the most negative threads I have seen at The Lord's Table .

It is sad to see the charisms , gifts of the Spirit treated with such disdain . :(:(:(

It is sad, and I apologize for any role I've played in it.

The bottom line for me is that the CCR is sanctioned by the Catholic Church and that the gift of tongues is outlined very well in the Sacred Scriptures. Within the Catholic context, it's perfectly fine.

While I don't have the gift, I'm sure if the Lord wanted to give it me, He would. My friends who have received the gift seem to have a greater sense of peace about them which, to me, indicates spiritual growth.

Thanks, Colin, for sharing what you know about it.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Things got so contentious over this charismatic stuff in OBOB that they split off a separate Catholic Charismatics forum that I think died out from lack of traffic.

In an academic sense, the whole thing is interesting, because the arguments do not break down along the typical conservative versus liberal or progressive lines. Like how often are Virgil the Roman and I on the same side of an argument? ;) He's very traditionalist and I'm very progressive and we're both to one degree or another wary of the charismatic movement. Meanwhile, supporters of the charismatic movement can be both fairly conservative and fairly progressive.

Though I'm wary of it, I am trying to take care not to completely discount it. Certainly, there are those who seem to get something out of it, Popes have accepted it to some degree, and I typically tread carefully around anything that claims to be of the Holy Spirit lest I accidently commit that unforgiveable sin mentioned in the bible (You know, just in case). ;)

However, I have to be honest, were I in a setting where I saw this charismatic stuff going on, I would quietly walk out, start my car, and get out of there. My experience with this was not good. Not as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard, but I can't handle that type of craziness in almost any setting. Its just too much for me. If people get something out of it, though, I am certainly not telling them not to go and do their things. If it spread to the point where one couldn't find a mass without it, though, you wouldn't see me at a mass. Some people really need something quieter and more contemplative, regardless of the spiritual merits of this or lack thereof.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Colin, some people have had such terrible experiences with it that we can only cope by steering clear of it. No one can or should force it onto us. Those that like it and find it heloful and edufying have the option to go with it. Those of ys who cannot do that because it causes them pain do not have to be forced. It does not mean that we do not have the Holy Spirit or Gifts of the Spirit. It jyst means that we are woubded people. Would you want us to gave tombe faced continually with those wounds? They constitute padt traumatic stress syndrome, and thenonly way to deal with it for some is to stay away from it. We are not in sin for doing that

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

StanJ

Student & Correct Handler of God's Word.
May 3, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
✟3,516.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
And can they cast out demons?
I was recently told that many protestants believe they have the power to cast out demons in themselves and others by speaking in tongues.
Must be a useful skill to have.
Catholics that speak in tongues are usually called Charismatic. What Protestants believe it is that they have the authority to cast out demons just as Jesus gave to his disciples in Matthew 10:8. We are the conduits, Jesus is the power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.