Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Once again you make statements that are simply untrue. You build a straw man in order to tear it apart. Very little in this is actually what John Calvin taught. It is certainly not what Calvinists believe.

While I indentify as a Calvinist I do so only for convenience. I am not a follower of John Calvin. I am a just a man who believes what the Scriptures say as a whole.

The intentional deception in the post above should leave all who read it in doubt.
I also am a Calvinist, but my theology comes from the scriptures, for while I do see salvation in the same process way as Calvin, do not agree with his view son infant baptism. so not a follower of Calvin, but of Jesus!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone affiliated with the Pentecostal Free Will Baptists? I've read they started out as a holiness group of Baptists, but eventually accepted many doctrines common among Pentecostals. I believe they generally self-identity as Pentecostal, too.
I have heard Bapticostal term used also, but I think the majority of fellow Baptists would see them as being more of a fridge group within Bapistdom!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Folks, many of these so-called "Baptist groups" are really just plain Baptists with different emphasis in ministry. Don't let the label fool you. Baptists are just that...Baptists.

The biggest divide is between Freewill/Arminian Baptists and Calvinistic/Reformed Baptists. The rest is a result of sinner squabbling over the details and storming off in a huff and starting another group for like minded Baptists.

Those claiming to be "Charismatic Baptists" are not Baptist by the way for they deny the sufficiency of scripture when they open themselves up to "tongues."

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Charismatic Baptists go away from the scriptures being only inspired and infallible revelation to those of so called modern day prophets and Apostles!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Folks, many of these so-called "Baptist groups" are really just plain Baptists with different emphasis in ministry. Don't let the label fool you. Baptists are just that...Baptists.

The biggest divide is between Freewill/Arminian Baptists and Calvinistic/Reformed Baptists. The rest is a result of sinner squabbling over the details and storming off in a huff and starting another group for like minded Baptists.

Those claiming to be "Charismatic Baptists" are not Baptist by the way for they deny the sufficiency of scripture when they open themselves up to "tongues."

Yours in the Lord,

jm
Yes, as the biggest divide is between those of us who are reformed/Calvinistic and those fellow Baptists into free will grace salvation!

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Context is everything!
So how does the context change what any of those mean? (Without using the way anyone spins it ro mean something different from what the chapter of each one says.)

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So how does the context change what any of those mean? (Without using the way anyone spins it ro mean something different from what the chapter of each one says.)
World cannot be taken to mean every lost sinner....

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
World cannot be taken to mean every lost sinner....
What about it?

I don't understand what you mean? That all men who believe in Him shall have eternal life? All who believe isn't every sinner.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does it matter when Calvin lived and died? You all still call yourselves "Calvinists" and what you believe is called "Calvinism". The article (one of many I could have chosen from) totally debunks TULIP. What you all believe is totally against the nature of the God I love and serve. You'll never convince me otherwise. That said.....
We'll just have to agree to disagree. No sense in continuing and causing hard feelings. That is NOT my intention at all. If it seemed that way I apologize. God bless, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Listen friend, you CHARGE in here, with an obvious chip on your shoulder against John Calvin, or Calvinist theology in general. And by not listening, or even trying to answer replies from your own "vast" knowledge, all you have done is poke a preverbal "Hornets nest!"

Let me tell you one thing.

I don't care whose "theology" you choose to follow. I just happen to believe Calvinist theology best agrees with scripture.

However, that being said, I don't care if you chose to accept Calvin's theology, Or Arminus' theology, or Wesley's theology, or even Johnny-come-lately's theology.

One thing I know that you obviously don't know is that in the entire history of the world, there has been only ever will be, One person who had a 100% correct theology, 100% of the time!

And fact is, nobody, NOT YOU, Not me, not even my dear friend Twin1954, are Him.

I happen to agree with my brother. Why don't you do own research instead of quoting articles from the internet?

In seminary, I was taught both Arminian and Calvinist theology, so I know, Calvinist aligns best with scripture.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about it?

I don't understand what you mean? That all men who believe in Him shall have eternal life? All who believe isn't every sinner.

The problem is, when "world" or "all" is stated, in most theologies, it is taken quite literally.

What they fail to understand is sometimes, "world" does not mean "every single individual without exception".

For example:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -Jn. 3:16 (KJV)

In, and of itself, this is true. However, (you knew I'd include a "however") what most fail to comprehend is that "world" did not necessarily mean every individual who ever was.

Fact, from an Old Testament perspective, even from the Torah, unless you were a "Hebrew" or converted to Hebrew, without exception, you were cut off from the blessings of God.

Furthermore, how do you take in to account both Mt. 20:28; Mk. 10:45?

Both passages explicitly state:

"and to give his life a ransom for many." -Mt. 20:28

"and to give his life a ransom for many." -Mk. 10:45

And again, how do you account for the billions upon billions who died before any of the Apostles went out on missionary trips, and long before the gospel was preached worldwide?

And that is but a taste of the complications that arise from taking those words quite literally.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

baptist4life

Jul 21, 2012
✟32,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Listen friend, you CHARGE in here, with an obvious chip on your shoulder against John Calvin, or Calvinist theology in general. And by not listening, or even trying to answer replies from your own "vast" knowledge, all you have done is poke a preverbal "Hornets nest!"

I don't care whose "theology" you choose to follow. I just happen to believe Calvinist theology best agrees with scripture.

However, that being said, I don't care if you chose to accept Calvin's theology, Or Arminus' theology, or Wesley's theology, or even Johnny-come-lately's theology.

One thing I know that you obviously don't know is that in the entire history of the world, there has been only ever will be, One person who had a 100% correct theology, 100% of the time!

And fact is, nobody, NOT YOU, Not me, not even my dear friend Twin1954, are Him.

I happen to agree with my brother. Why don't you do own research instead of quoting articles from the internet?

In seminary, I was taught both Arminian and Calvinist theology, so I know, Calvinist aligns best with scripture.

God Bless

Till all are one.

baptist4life said : We'll just have to agree to disagree. No sense in continuing and causing hard feelings. That is NOT my intention at all. If it seemed that way I apologize. God bless, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Apparently you missed this ^^^^^part of my post. This is why I chose to stop posting on this topic. I'll repeat....God bless you, and Merry Christmas.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless

Till all are one.
I disagree. I do not want to talk about it because in your other post it FELT like you were belittling me.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

God Bless

Till all are one.
I was once one who firmly held to a Pentecostal free will Gospel, but after years of reading various theologies of reformed/Calvinists, and especially contrasting their positions with the scriptures, drove me to reconsider and now see Calvinism as the System that best explains Sotierology!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The problem is, when "world" or "all" is stated, in most theologies, it is taken quite literally.

What they fail to understand is sometimes, "world" does not mean "every single individual without exception".

For example:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -Jn. 3:16 (KJV)

In, and of itself, this is true. However, (you knew I'd include a "however") what most fail to comprehend is that "world" did not necessarily mean every individual who ever was.

Fact, from an Old Testament perspective, even from the Torah, unless you were a "Hebrew" or converted to Hebrew, without exception, you were cut off from the blessings of God.

And again, how do you account for the billions upon billions who died before any of the Apostles went out on missionary trips, and long before the gospel was preached worldwide?

And that is but a taste of the complications that arise from taking those words quite literally.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Must define the context for words such as all and world, for it it always means that literally, God is a Universalist!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Must define the context for words such as all and world, for it it always means that literally, God is a Universalist!

Yes, and no.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree. I do not want to talk about it because in your other post it FELT like you were belittling me.

You quoted the wrong post. The particular post you quoted me from, I wasn't even addressing you.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

For example:

God Bless

Till all are one.
You were here.

Anyway, have a blessed day. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, may you rejoice in Him today. ♡

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Maybe God is, as He made the Universe,
but universalism ? The Baptists I know the last 20 years believe repentance is needed and that those who do not repent before they die are doomed, as Scripture says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe God is, as He made the Universe,
but universalism ? The Baptists I know the last 20 years believe repentance is needed and that those who do not repent before they die are doomed, as Scripture says.
My point was that if all and the world meant literally that all of the time, God would indeed be a Universalist!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My point was that if all and the world meant literally that all of the time, God would indeed be a Universalist!
No. His Word , complete and whole, and His Spirit, revealed as He Pleases, and understanding of His Word, granted freely to little children,
and Jesus, and Jesus' Words,
all are opposed to universalism.

Don't worry though. Most all man's institutions, if not all, are opposed to Him .....

Upvote 0