USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow what a statement! I realize that many Baptist churches don't care about whether the pastor is a man truly called of God but your statement actually breaks my heart.
I was ordained and sent off to plant a church; just not by the Baptists.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Could you elaborate there, please? Does that mean you were not Southern Baptist in mindset?
I agreed to their list of required beliefs and sent them money; these were the two conditions to become affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. I was not culturally a Baptist.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I agreed to their list of required beliefs and sent them money; these were the two conditions to become affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. I was not culturally a Baptist.
Not wanting to offend anyone here, but that does not say anything for their denomination really, does it? I mean, I'm assuming they ordained you into the Southern Baptist church and that's all it required? It just seems like there should have been more to it than that.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Conservative Baptist CBAA is what I am. I am very definitely Calvinistic.

Upvote 0

judson1982

Apr 15, 2018
Grenada, MS
✟12,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not wanting to offend anyone here, but that does not say anything for their denomination really, does it? I mean, I'm assuming they ordained you into the Southern Baptist church and that's all it required? It just seems like there should have been more to it than that.

From what I understand, having spent most of my Christian live in Southern Baptist churches, the local congregation ordains ministers and deacons; and they are allowed to serve in any like-minded congregation affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. This is in contrast to other groups like the Methodists, Episcopalians, Presbyterians, et al, where ordination to the ministry is done by the denominational hierarchy in some shape or form.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no idea! Just Baptist.
In the UK we don't seem to have many variations of Baptist. When I googled it last year to find out what type we are it seemed that there are closed and open membership Baptist churches. That was about all I could see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I attend a SBC church and a SBC seminary, and my beliefs are roughly in line with each. But, I generally identify simply as Christian.
Jesus called us to be Christ-like, hence the term Christians. The problem arises, however, because the term Christian is generalized and banners a wide variety of individuals that belong to different churches, movements, denominations, and organizations with diverse beliefs, teachings, interpretations, and understandings. Calling oneself a Baptist, a Pentecostal, a Methodist, etc. is simply more descriptive that saying Christian alone.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟24,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus called us to be Christ-like, hence the term Christians. The problem arises, however, because the term Christian is generalized and banners a wide variety of individuals that belong to different churches, movements, denominations, and organizations with diverse beliefs, teachings, interpretations, and understandings. Calling oneself a Baptist, a Pentecostal, a Methodist, etc. is simply more descriptive that saying Christian alone.

I get that. But, I don't fit any of the denominational labels perfectly. I grew up in the United Methodist Church, and that is the denomination of the church where I was first saved. I am a member of a camp meeting that is mostly Wesleyans and Nazarenes, and I find a lot of my spiritual growth has been shaped by those in the Wesleyan/Holiness tradition.

I've also had close friends who were Pentecostal, who have also helped to shape my faith. I am one of the only Baptists I know who is not a cessationalist, in large part from what I've learned from my Pentecostal brothers and sisters.

But, where I choose to worship and where I have chosen to attend seminary is very much Southern Baptist, and this probably has shaped my faith more than other traditions. But, to say I am a "Baptist" to imply that my beliefs are distinctly Baptistbto the exlusion of other Christian traditons.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Acts 11:26 tells us that the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

I find that not identifying with a people is usually because you don't really believe anything enough to stand for it.

Upvote 0

Complete in Thee

Jan 10, 2018
:)
✟37,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Baptist diversity within Australia

I attend both an Independent Baptist Church and a Baptist Union Church here in Australia. Here is a little regarding the diversity within both.

Within Independent Baptist Churches in Australia some variations are as follows:

Some (maybe 10-15%) are more Reformed/Calvinistic, but the overwhelming majority are Arminian however they will ALL believe in OSAS. (95% of Baptists (both independent & union churches) in Oz believe in OSAS).

Many IB's are KJV only however a good 1/3 are not KJV only (and the number is growing). The 1/3 of IB's who are not KJV only will in most cases use the NKJV as the main Bible for preaching/teaching and for private use the congregation will use a mixture of KJV/NKJV. There is a growing movement within IB churches in Australia to adopt the New King James Version or at least have both the KJV/NKJV.

Most
will have nothing to do with other Christians if they differ significantly in beliefs. ALL are non-charismatic and most are anti-ecumenical. Music is always hymns with a keyboard/piano and possibly a trumpet. Pastors must be male and deacons must be male. The majority are Dispensational, Pre-Trip. ALL are Young-Earthers.

At IB churches you MUST agree to their doctrines to become a member and if you don't than you have to agree to not speak about your different views (many will try and censor you).

Within Baptist Union Churches:

Most are a mixture Arminian/Calvinistic, however all believe in OSAS.

BU churches use modern translations (even the nkjv is considered old school and out of date).

Females can become Pastors and Deacons but that is up to the local church. Most churches have male pastors but I imagine as time goes on things will change.

When it comes to end-times they are all over the place, from Pre-Trib to Amillennialism and everything in between.

ALL are Evangelical (not fundamentalist) and most are in some form or another charismatic but to different degrees. Speaking in tongues is generally looked down upon, taken with a grain of salt or at least ignored. BU churches are ecumenical and have fellowship with other Christians (including Catholic and Liberal Christians). They generally use modern music for worships some may use a mix of CCM with hymns. Baptist Union Baptists are not as strong on extra doctrine (end-times, Calvinist/Arminian) as IB's are. In the BU creation whether young earth/Old earth/Evolution is generally not preached on as there is no offical position on it other than God created everything.

I believe Baptists in Australia are at an important cross roads in history, many IB's are becoming cultish and exclusive and at the same time some BU churches are becoming more liberal and more of a community centre with Christian values.

God bless

Complete in Thee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I attended 2 Baptist churches before the age of 10.. not sure if we're sbc affiliated or not..

Third church also baptist I attended for 8 years, was saved, and baptized in...this was sbc...

My current church is independent fundamental, kjv only church...have been there little over three years now

We dress conservative, have hymns and piano, occasional auto harp, guitar or banjo
Not calvinistic...trail of blood, young earth, pre trib, osas,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

baptist4life

Jul 21, 2012
✟32,693.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been attending Baptist churches since I was 5 years old....that's 62 years. I have been a member of a GARBC church for the last 19 years. NEVER have I ever heard of someone in a Baptist church being a Calvinist. As a matter of fact, that's almost a dirty word around our church. I'm definitely NOT a Calvinist. Neither am I an Armenian. We believe in once saved always saved and that EVERYONE has the opportunity to recieve or reject Christ. God does NOT predestine anyone to Hell.....that is totally their choice.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've been attending Baptist churches since I was 5 years old....that's 62 years. I have been a member of a GARBC church for the last 19 years. NEVER have I ever heard of someone in a Baptist church being a Calvinist. As a matter of fact, that's almost a dirty word around our church. I'm definitely NOT a Calvinist. Neither am I an Armenian. We believe in once saved always saved and that EVERYONE has the opportunity to recieve or reject Christ. God does NOT predestine anyone to Hell.....that is totally their choice.
Obviously you don’t know what Calvinists believe. We do not believe that God predestined anyone to Hell but that He saves whom He will by sure and sovereign grace through the preaching of the Gospel. He simply leaves the rest to their will. The elect are made willing in the day of His power and given life and faith in Christ by the Spirit making the Gospel the power of God unto salvation. The elect are no different than the unsaved. If left to their own natural will they too would go to Hell. They deserve it just the same as all others.

The rest of Adam’s race are left to their own will and way to seek sin in all their ways and die in unbelief.

What is truly amazing about God’s sovereign grace is that He saves any of us wretched sinners.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was Baptist for the first 38 years of my life, all in SBC congregations & my dad was a Deacon. I don't remember ever hearing about Calvinism. I think the only "point" of Calvinism that was accepted was perseverance of the saints (OSAS). But you had to "invite Jesus into your heart" - there was no sense of being among the elect or not. And no belief that any were predestined to Hell.

I understand that things have changed since I left in 1991.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was Baptist for the first 38 years of my life, all in SBC congregations & my dad was a Deacon. I don't remember ever hearing about Calvinism. I think the only "point" of Calvinism that was accepted was perseverance of the saints (OSAS). But you had to "invite Jesus into your heart" - there was no sense of being among the elect or not. And no belief that any were predestined to Hell.

I understand that things have changed since I left in 1991.
You as well fit my last post. If you are going to characterize Calvinism at least bother to find out what we really believe.

Upvote 0