Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So cerenthius, in being a jew would have rejected christs coming by saying that when christ comes it would be for 1000 yrs? I can see how that would change what victorinus eas saying, though its still a little vague.

Yes, I am or the preterist line of though and very, very happy and confirmed in it. I give no authority whatsoever to the ECFs snd recognize that they, like most afterward through today read the epistles as if Paul was writing instruction to a second century and lster corporal church and not to a first century intercovanental audience. Their lack of unanimity reveals their lack of authourity and grasp of some truths. Paul and Peter and any others were writing to their audiences and often quoted from OT scriptures to indicate their then first century fulfillment. This is why the pre-fsll of Rome writers focused on the fallof Rome as the end of the 'world or age' Additionally, they did not ( perhaps some like vic did) realize that the end time prophecies with the exception of Dan 7:26 almost all spoke of the end of the mosaic covenant tbat had been prophecied in the book of Deut and since. Thus Paul and Peter were writing and referring to prophecies that would be fulfilled tin the people recieving the letter.

This is part of the original audience hermeneutic

So anyhow, yes, I have a different understanding of what was meant by the millenium and other teachings. Not much time right now, but if your interested there is an open preterist forum section at another website C**M.

And I have a blog on wordpress with a few articles I've written called fulfilledprophecy studies.

Lufe was redeemed to be good and to take care of each other and the planet for many,many generations. Chistians are to be the preservers of the earth, not escape artists.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So cerenthius, in being a jew would have rejected christs coming by saying that when christ comes it would be for 1000 yrs?

No! Cerinthus was not a "jew" religiously but only (possibly) ethnically. His position did not agree with the Jewish tradition of the 1,000 years of Shalom...his pseudo-gnostic spin was a sensous orgy with drinking and gluttony (like the Islamic view of paradise today...to virgins, endless wine, sumptuous feasting). And this view was heretical for those who believed in a literal Kingdom of Christ in the future and for those who held to a more symbolic spin.

Paul

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
To reject the original audience considerations is to ignore one of the most important
rules of hermeneutics.
To insist on the "original audience" is to wholly miss the fact that the scriptures explicitly say (they do not imply, but explicitly say) that it was revealed to the Old Testament prophets that they were speaking to a future audience, not to a current one.

The explicit word of God is more powerful that all the reasonings of theologians.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The actual date when Victornius wrote his commentary on the Apocalypse is unknown, but he is believed to have flourished around the year 270.

Dionysius also denied a literal millennium, and is thought to have written sometime between the years 247 and 264.

So neither of these writers was from the first two centuries of the church. They both wrote well into its third century.

This means that their opinions were part of the general departure from the original doctrine of the church that became so evident in the third through the fifth centuries.

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So neither of these writers was from the first two centuries of the church. They both wrote well into its third century.

This means that their opinions were part of the general departure from the original doctrine of the church that became so evident in the third through the fifth centuries.
Where do tou get that reasoning? Your hilarious. Clement, I belueve held similar. None of even the second century writers were unified, thus how can you imply a departure from something that is NOT?? And Justin Martyr noted that many if what he called noble believers did NOT hold to a literal 1000 yrs. Thus your ascertatiin if a unified 2nd century "faith" and subsequent depart,ure is openly unsupported.

Jesus is the foundation and fulfillment not the ECF'S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To insist on the "original audience" is to wholly miss the fact that the scriptures explicitly say (they do not imply, but explicitly say) that it was revealed to the Old Testament prophets that they were speaking to a future audience, not to a current one.

The explicit word of God is more powerful that all the reasonings of theologians.

Again your reasoning fails and is getting seemingly desperate. The last of the OT prophets were 400 yrs before John. I really don't understabd what your saying??? Jesus' day and the furst century was future to the prophets; 400-@1600 yrs in the future.

As for the intent or spirut of the words to their original audience VS what you refer to as the explicit reading of the words as read by the reader, he see again post 66 in the eschatology section your thread titled The tru e meaning of Romans 9-11, and the verses referenced there.

Not every word of every OT prophecy had a distant future fulfillment. Consider Jeremiahs 70 yr prophecy of babylonian captivity for example. But the ones of the messiah and the fulfilling of the everlasting covt and circumcision of the heart were seperated by at least 400 yrs and WERE prophecied to a future audience FROM THE PROPHETS PERSPECTIVES, not the apostles perspective.

Due to the desperation revealed in the last few post, and noting that some of these arguments were repeated from years ago; and with other pressing issues, I'll not promuse a response to each false claim ordefense you attempt to make.

Thanks for the exposure of the topics and reasonings though.
Will catch up as and when I can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Again your reasoning fails and is getting seemingly desperate. The last of the OT prophets were 400 yrs before John. I really don't understabd what your saying??? Jesus' day and the furst century was future to the prophets; 400-@1600 yrs in the future.

I do not even begin to comprehend how you think I am getting desperate. We are not talking apples and oranges. We are talking apples and automobile engines. That is, we are talking past each other about wholly different things.

My point about the OT prophets was that they were explicitly told that their target audience was not the original people who received the documents. But you think it must be different for the NT prophets. You think they were writing for a current audience. That is my point. You imagine that the NT prophets were entirely different from the OT prophets. I am saying they are the same. Both of them wrote for peoples in their own distant futures.

As for the intent or spirut of the words to their original audience VS what you refer to as the explicit reading of the words as read by the reader, he see again post 66 in the eschatology section your thread titled The tru e meaning of Romans 9-11, and the verses referenced there.

Not every word of every OT prophecy had a distant future fulfillment. Consider Jeremiahs 70 yr prophecy of babylonian captivity for example. But the ones of the messiah and the fulfilling of the everlasting covt and circumcision of the heart were seperated by at least 400 yrs and WERE prophecied to a future audience FROM THE PROPHETS PERSPECTIVES, not the apostles perspective.

Due to the desperation revealed in the last few post, and noting that some of these arguments were repeated from years ago; and with other pressing issues, I'll not promuse a response to each false claim ordefense you attempt to make.

Again, the desperation exists entirely in your imagination, just like the falsehood of the defenses I have presented.

Thanks for the exposure of the topics and reasonings though.
Will catch up as and when I can.

Upvote 0

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I am or the preterist line of though and very, very happy and confirmed in it.
Thank you for your honesty in this being your perspective.

I also have given some thought to the preterist perspective. However, I have a problem with this:

Mat 24:29-31
(29) "Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.
(30) Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
(31) And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Immediately is a very literal word, and we all know what it means. For me to believe those following statements were metaphorical I would have to believe "immediately" was metaphorical as well, and I don't have any support for that assumption. Therefore, either it refers to the past and it didn't happen according to what God's Word said, or it refers to the future and can indeed be fulfilled as God said. I don't see any way around that.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi all, here's a think piece I found on the web. Any reactions?)

Pretrib Rapture Pride

Pretrib rapture promoters like Thomas Ice give the impression they know more than the early Church Fathers, the Reformers, the greatest Greek New Testament scholars including those who produced the KJV Bible, the founders of their favorite Bible schools, and even their own mentors!

I have personally discussed prophecy with Thomas Ice, and agree that he seems to think his opinion is final truth. But that is not significant to the question at hand.

One of the earliest of the early church fathers was Irenaeus, who sometime between 186 and 188 published the most famous non-inspired Christian work of ancient times. That work was titled “Against Heresies,” and is very long. The last chapters of this work are the very oldest surviving Christian commentary on Bible prophecy of any significant length. (There were older ones, but all of them either were only short, or were not preserved.) Much of what Irenaeus wrote in these ten chapters sounds like it might have been written last week at Dallas Theological Seminary or Moody Bible Institute. At one point Irenaeus commented on the evil of the world in general, and then said, “And therefore, when in the end the Church shall be suddenly caught up from this, it is said, ‘There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be.’ For this is the last contest of the righteous, in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXIX, section 1)

We need to notice the following elements in this short statement:

First, the church will be "suddenly caught up."

Second, after the church is "Suddenly caught up," "There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be." Lest anyone claim that this is not specifically stated to be after “the church is "suddenly caught up," please note that the grammatical construction (when) -- (one event takes place) -- (a second event takes place) has two possible meanings. It either means that the two events will take place at the same time or it means that the second event will take place after the first event. But it cannot mean that the second event takes place before the first event. In this case the first event is clearly instantaneous and the second event will obviously consume a significant period of time. So it is unreasonable to argue that the writer’s intention was anything other than to state that this “tribulation” would take place after the church is “suddenly caught up.”

Third, this period of tribulation is specifically called "the last contest of the righteous." and it explicitly says of these righteous in this particular contest, "in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption." Some have imagined that this proves Irenaeus was not saying that the church is “suddenly caught up” before the “tribulation.” But it is standard pre-trib doctrine that after the church is removed from this earth, others will turn to God, and have to endure a great test of their faith in the time of Antichrist.
However, Irenaeus also said, “For all these and other words were unquestion-ably spoken in reference to the resurrection of the just, which takes place after the coming of Antichrist, and the destruction of all nations under his rule.” (“Against Heresies”, Book V, chapter 35, paragraph 1) A rapture that is before the great tribulation, but after the Antichrist has appeared, would qualify as a mid trib rapture, in modern terminology.

Ice's mentor, Dallas Sem. president John Walvoord, couldn't find anyone holding to pretrib before 1830 - and Walvoord called John Darby and his Brethren followers "the early pretribulationists" (RQ, pp. 160-62). Ice belittles Walvoord and claims that several pre-1830 persons, including "Pseudo-Ephraem" and a "Rev. Morgan Edwards," taught a pretrib rapture. Even though the first one viewed Antichrist's arrival as the only "imminent" event, Ice (and Grant Jeffrey) audaciously claim he expected an "imminent" pretrib rapture!
While the writer of the pseudo-Ephraem sermon, whoever he was, used a Greek word that has been translated “imminent,” He did not use it in the sense of an event that would come without warning. Toward the end of section 1 of this sermon, he said, “When the Roman empire begins to be consumed by the sword, the coming of the Evil One is at hand. It is necessary that the world come to an end at the completion of the Roman empire. In those days two brothers will come to the Roman empire who will rule with one mind; but because one will surpass the other, there will be a schism between them. And so the Adversary will be loosed and will stir up hatred between the Persian and Roman empires. In those days many will rise up against Rome; the Jewish people will be her adversaries.” Then He opened section 2 of the sermon by saying, “We ought to understand thoroughly therefore, my brothers, what is imminent or overhanging. Already there have been hunger and plagues, violent movements of nations and signs, which have been predicted by the Lord, they have already been fulfilled (consummated), and there is not other which remains, except the advent of the wicked one in the completion of the Roman kingdom.”

When these two comments are compared, it is exceedingly clear that this writer was most absolutely not saying that the Antichrist’s arrival was “imminent” in the sense of suddenly coming without warning. But then he went on, saying, “Why therefore are we occupied with worldly business, and why is our mind held fixed on the lusts of the world or on the anxieties of the ages? Why therefore do we not reject every care of worldly business, and why is our mind held fixed on the lusts of the world or on the anxieties of the ages? Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? Believe you me, dearest brother, because the coming (advent) of the Lord is nigh, believe you me, because the end of the world is at hand, believe me, because it is the very last time. Or do you not believe unless you see with your eyes? See to it that this sentence be not fulfilled among you of the prophet who declares: ‘Woe to those who desire to see the day of the Lord!’ For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.”

So, although this unknown writer said that the coming of Antichrist was “imminent,’ he very clearly said that something else would take place before that time. And that something else was “all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.”

Thus we see that the only dishonesty revealed here is the false accusation being made against Ice and Grant Jeffery.

And Ice (and John Bray) have covered up Edwards' historicism which made a pretrib rapture impossible! Google historian Dave MacPherson's "Deceiving and Being Deceived" for documentation on these and similar historical distortions.
Dave MacPherson thoroughly discredited himself with the false accusation he made in his first famous book, titled “The Incredible Cover-Up.” In this book, which was thoroughly researched and documented, he claimed that Darby actually visited the church of Margaret MacDonald, and covered it up. When I read this deceptive book, I said, “he wasted an entire book to prove what I could have proved in five minutes!” For Darby not only did not cover up his visits there, but he openly wrote about them. He called this group the “Irvingites” because their main teacher was a man named Edward Irving. In the following account he referred to himself as the “Irish Clergyman” because he had been called that in the article he was answering, which had been written by a Mr. Newton. Notice that this account specifically mentions “Two brothers (respectable shipbuilders at port Glasgow, of the name of M’D – ), and their sister” as chief speakers at the meetings he attended. So he not only wrote about his visit to Margaret MacDonald’s church, but specifically mentioned her as a speaker at these meetings. Darby wrote:

“Mr. N. is quite exact in his account of the report of the “Irish Clergyman,” or at least of what the “Irish Clergyman” saw and heard. There was a pretended interpretation. Two brothers (respectable shipbuilders at port Glasgow, of the name of M’D – ), and their sister, were the chief persons who spoke, with a Gaelic maid-servant, in the tongues, and a Mrs. J. – , in English. J. M’D – spoke, on the occasion alluded to, for about a quarter of an hour, with great energy and fluency, in a semi-latin sounding speech – then sung a hymn in the same. Having finished, he knelt down and prayed there might be an interpretation; as God had given one gift, that He would add the other. His sister got up at the opposite side of the room, and professed to give the interpretation; but it was a string of texts on overcoming, and no hymn, and one, if not more, of the texts was quoted wrongly. Just afterwards there was a bustle; and apparently some one was unwell and went into the next room; and the gifted English-speaking person, with utterances from the highest pitch of voice to the lowest murmur, with all strange prolongation of tones, spoke through (if one may so express oneself, as if passing through) the agony of Christ. Once the Gaelic servant spoke briefly in “a tongue;” not, if the “Irish Clergyman” remembers right, the same evening. The sense he had of the want of the power of the Holy Ghost in the church made him willing to hear and see. Yet he went rather as deputed for others than for himself.
“The excitement was great, so that, though not particularly an excitable person, he felt its effects very strongly. It did not certainly approve itself to his judgement; other things contributed to form it. It was too much of a scene. Previous to the time of exercising the gifts, they read, sung psalms, and prayed, under certain persons’ providence (one of them a very estimable person, who has since seen free from all this, and a minister of an independent or some dissenting church in Edinburgh, then a church-elder). This being finished, the “Irish Clergyman” was going away, when another said to him, “Don’t go: the best part is probably to come yet.” So he stayed, and heard what has just been related. He was courteously admitted, as one not believing, who came to see what was the real truth of the case. The parties are mostly dead, or dispersed, and many freed from the delusion, and the thing itself public; so that he does not feel that he is guilty of any indiscretion in giving a correct account of what passed.
“It may be added, without of course saying anything that could point out the persons, that female vanity, and very distinct worldliness, did not confirm, to his mind, the thought that it could be the Spirit’s power. The M’D – s were in ordinary life quiet, sober men, and, he believes, most blameless. Their names were so public that there is no indelicacy in alluding to them.” (From “The Collected Writings of J. N. Darby” second ed., Vol 6, pp 448-450, William Kelly, ed., London, G. Morrish, not dated.)

I call MacPherson’s version of events “dishonest,” instead of “mistaken,” because, considering the amount of research he put into this project, I consider it incomprehensible that he did not know about this article, which was openly published.

MacPherson’s “Deceiving and Being Deceived” follows the pattern set in “The Incredible Cover-Up.” He ignores the actual statements of the pre-trib writers in question, in some cases pretending that they did not mean what they actually said, and then deceptively presents information that he imagines renders it impossible that these writers meant what they actually said.

As an example, he quotes section 10 of the Pseudp-Ephraem sermon as proof that this writer actually put the rapture at the time when “the Lord shall appear with great power.” But that section actually said, “And when the three and a half years have been completed, the time of the Antichrist, through which he will have seduced the world, after the resurrection of the two prophets, in the hour which the world does not know, and on the day which the enemy of son of perdition does not know, will come the sign of the Son of Man, and coming forward the Lord shall appear with great power and much majesty, with the sign of the wood of salvation going before him, and also even with all the powers of the heavens with the whole chorus of the saints, with those who bear the sign of the holy cross upon their shoulders, as the angelic trumpet precedes him, which shall sound and declare: Arise, O sleeping ones, arise, meet Christ, because his hour of judgment has come! Then Christ shall come and the enemy shall be thrown into confusion, and the Lord shall destroy him by the spirit of his mouth.”

If this is carefully examined, it indeed said that at that time it will be declared, “Arise, O sleeping ones, arise, meet Christ.” But there is no hint of the living being “gathered” and “taken to the Lord,” as it had said in section 2. Nor did it say that this resurrection would be the resurrection of the righteous. It actually intimated the opposite, although it did actually say it, for what it said was, “Arise, O sleeping ones, arise, meet Christ, because his hour of judgment has come!” “The hour of judgment” sounds like a resurrection of the wicked, not of the righteous.

But where did the writer of this sermon have “the saints” at this time? He had them coming with Christ, for he said, “on the day which the enemy of son of perdition does not know, will come the sign of the Son of Man, and coming forward the Lord shall appear with great power and much majesty, with the sign of the wood of salvation going before him, and also even with all the powers of the heavens with the whole chorus of the saints.” So the very section which Macpherson claims proves a post trib rapture, has “the saints” coming with Christ, not being “gathered,” at that time, as he had previously explicitly said would happen “prior to the tribulation” in section 2.

The remainder of this very worthless article is mostly a series of accusations bordering on libel, and that have zero bearing on the question of the timing of the rapture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well Victorinus was @230Ad and wrote against a literal 1000 yrs, and Justin Martyr wrote that there were many noble Christians in his 2nd century day who did not believe in a literal 1000 yrs of chist on earth, but that he was among those who did.

Just not sure which yoyr affirming. I'm affirming with victorinus that it resides in the abiding and indwelt saints.

Thanks for the reply.
Cath up later.

When this was originally posted, I mistakenly thought you were correct. For the document included in the Ante-Nicene Fathers, volume 7, says what you say. But I have recently learned that this portion of what Jerome published as the commentary on the Revelation by Victorinus was not actually written by Victorinus. For Jerome wrote:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"Those crossing over the perilous seas find different dangers. If a storm of winds has become violent, it is a terror; if the moderate air has calmed the back of the elements, lying calm, they fear traps. Thus is seen in this book which you have sent to me, which is seen to contain the explanation of the Apocalypse by Victorinus. Also, it is dangerous, and opens to the barkings of detractors, to judge the short works of eminent men. For even earlier Papias, the bishop of Hierapolis, and Nepos, the bishop of parts of Egypt, perceived of the kingdom of the thousand years just as Victorinus. And because you are in your letters entreating me, I do not want to delay, but nor do I want to scorn praying. I immediately unwound the books of the greats, and what I found in their commentaries about the kingdom of the thousand years, I added to the little work of Victorinus, erasing from there those things which he perceived according to the letter.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]From the beginning of the book to the sign of the cross, we have corrected things which are the corruptions of inexperience of scribes. Know that from there to the end of the book is added. Now it is yours to judge, and to confirm what pleases. If our life will be made longer and the Lord will give health, for you, our most capable genius will sweat over this book, dearest Anatolius." ([/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Jerome's letter to Anatolius, which is the prologue to his edition of Victorinus' commentary. Dowmloaded from: www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/v/victorinus-of-petau.html)[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
✟1,657.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
<<But of all these &#8220;many&#8221; early writers, only the writings of a few of them have been preserved. Since we know that there were &#8220;many&#8221; such writers, and we do not know what they wrote, then any claim that none of them ever taught any particular doctrine is pure nonsense.>>

Yes, "only" some 10 thousand or so pages have been preserved from the first 8 centuries as compared to about 500 pages of the NT.

You are using an argument from silence. Since, as you say, "we do not know what they wrote" and so cannot state what they did not teach, neither can we state what they might have taught.

Your quotation from "Dialogue with Trypho the Jew" is not a clear example of Dispensationalism. It contains a small bit which may appear to fit in with dispensationalism but it falls far, far, short of demonstrating that any form of dispensationalism was taught in the early church.

<< When taken together, these statements conclusively prove that even by the time of the writing of these documents, which are the very oldest Christian comments on Bible prophecy that have been preserved, there was no agreement between Christians on such major points as whether the covenant belonged to the Church alone, or to both the Church and Israel, whether or not Jerusalem would be literally restored, whether Bible prophecy should be interpreted literally or allegorically, and even what was the correct text of the Revelation. >>

Revelation is not "prophesy." It is "Apocalyptic." The two are not the same. The purpose of prophesy is to exhort, rebuke, encourage, and, occasionally, to predict. Apocalyptic literature arose during times of great stress such as the Babylonian exile and the destruction of the temple and the persecutions of Christians by the Romans under Nero. Apocalyptic literature encourages people to persevere under the pressure of defeat and persecution by promising that the Lord will take vengeance upon their enemies and will bring in the final victory of God over evil.

Apocalyptic is highly symbolic and an extremely poor source for doctrine.

There were many disagreements in the early church. All the heretics disagreed. That is why there were 7 great councils to examine questionable teachings and decide if they agreed with the teaching of the apostles and scripture.

<< But because they are completely ignorant of all this, many Preterists, many Amillennialists, many Covenant Theologians, and many who hold the doctrine of the post tribulation rapture >>

All such people are totally ignorant while you are perfectly enlightened and 100% correct. Really? That's the position you want to defend?

<< All such claims are inappropriate and vain, for the only thing that is significant is what the Bible itself says. >>

What the Bible itself says is a topic on which there are many opinions (yours included) and, basing their theology upon the inerrant and infallible "sola scripture", men have managed to generate tens of thousands of denominations in the past 500 years.

They can't all be right.

<< But in addition to their being unprofitable and vain, all of these claims are completely incorrect. >>

So, essentially, based on your presentation of rather feeble non-evidence and speculation of what might have been written, they are wrong because you say they are and you are right because you say you are.

<< It is serious bad doctrine to claim that the writings of any man, or of any group of men, are authoritative. Our only true and proper authority is the word of God itself, the Bible. >>

Are you aware that the Christian Church was in existence for several centuries before it decided on which books would be included in the New Testament? The Church had already expanded to the western extent of Europe and eastward to India before the last book of the NT was written. The NT came from the Church, not the other way around. They based their decision on which books to include on what had been taught "everywhere and at all times" and they knew what that was because of the writings of the early church.

If dispensationalism was an important part of Christian doctrine, it would have been clearly taught by the early church fathers and it would be found in the existing ancient, writings in so many words, not possibly implied or conceivably included in writings that were not considered important enough to preserve.

You have yet to present a cogent argument.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
<<But of all these &#8220;many&#8221; early writers, only the writings of a few of them have been preserved. Since we know that there were &#8220;many&#8221; such writers, and we do not know what they wrote, then any claim that none of them ever taught any particular doctrine is pure nonsense.>>

Yes, "only" some 10 thousand or so pages have been preserved from the first 8 centuries as compared to about 500 pages of the NT.

You are using an argument from silence. Since, as you say, "we do not know what they wrote" and so cannot state what they did not teach, neither can we state what they might have taught.

I apologize for waiting so long to answer this. I have been busy elsewhere for the last year.

You have completely missed the point I was making. Eusebius complained that "many" writers had followed the views of Papias, which he considered to be erroneous. But we only have the works of a few such writers.

My point was that, since we know from Eusebius that "many" early writers taught the views of Papias, and we only have the writings of a few men that taught similar views, we know that there were "many" writers on this subject whose writings have not been preserved.

Since we know that there were "many" such writers whose works were not preserved, it is sheer nonsense to claim that none of them ever expressed any particular idea.

This is NOT an "argument from silence." It is an observation that it it utter nonsense to make ANY claims about what an unknown writer did or did not say.

The ONLY logical claim about such unknown writers is that what they said probably parallels what Irenaeus said, at least in a general way. This claim can logically be made because Eusebius clearly stated that Irenaeus was an example of what these "many" writers said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It is africanus who calculated the date to.@475.
Victorinus is the one who stated that 'they are not to be heard who teach that there will be a future literal reign of christ on the earth. The reign and the kingdom is here now in the saints. (paraphrasing)

Will catch up to this and other threads later. :)

Well Victorinus was @230Ad and wrote against a literal 1000 yrs, and Justin Martyr wrote that there were many noble Christians in his 2nd century day who did not believe in a literal 1000 yrs of chist on earth, but that he was among those who did.

Just not sure which yoyr affirming. I'm affirming with victorinus that it resides in the abiding and indwelt saints.

Thanks for the reply.
Cath up later.

Strangely, I did not notice these until today. This error is understandable, because it is indeed found in the commentary on the Apocalypse attributed to Victorinus in "The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers,” edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson." This is indeed the "standard" edition of the ECFs, but in this case it is erroneous. The edition of the commentary on the Apocalypse, supposedly by Victorinus, which is included in this set of volumes, is the one edited by Jerome.

This is shown in Jerome's letter to Anatolius, which is the prologue to his edition of Victorinus' commentary. In this letter, Jerome said:

"
Those crossing over the perilous seas find different dangers. If a storm of winds has become violent, it is a terror; if the moderate air has calmed the back of the elements, lying calm, they fear traps. Thus is seen in this book which you have sent to me, which is seen to contain the explanation of the Apocalypse by Victorinus. Also, it is dangerous, and opens to the barkings of detractors, to judge the short works of eminent men. For even earlier Papias, the bishop of Hierapolis, and Nepos, the bishop of parts of Egypt, perceived of the kingdom of the thousand years just as Victorinus. And because you are in your letters entreating me, I do not want to delay, but nor do I want to scorn praying. I immediately unwound the books of the greats, and what I found in their commentaries about the kingdom of the thousand years, I added to the little work of Victorinus, erasing from there those things which he perceived according to the letter.

From the beginning of the book to the sign of the cross, we have corrected things which are the corruptions of inexperience of scribes. Know that from there to the end of the book is added. Now it is yours to judge, and to confirm what pleases. If our life will be made longer and the Lord will give health, for you, our most capable genius will sweat over this book, dearest Anatolius."

So Jerome himself, who published this edition, clearly stated that Victorinus was a chilist. And he clearly said that he had erased from this edition "those things which he percieved according to the letter," and had added the ending to the book.

You can find this in of all places, "The Preterist Archive!"

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Jerome himself, who published this edition, clearly stated that Victorinus was a chilist.

What was the position of Victorinus regarding the Second Coming and the removal of the Body of Christ?

His commentary and the changes of that commentary by author Grant Jeffrey are found in the link below.

Grant Jeffrey’s revision of early Church Posttrib viewpoints
Pastor Tim Warner
http://www.answersinrevelation.org/Jeffrey.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
BAB2,

I, for one, could care less about any link, video, or quote that you post. Every one I've seen so far is just Babel. Don't you have any ideas of your own? Can't you express these ideas in your own words? As I asked before, what is your position? What group do you identify yourself with? It's impossible to determine this from your posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danoh
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BAB2,

I, for one, could care less about any link, video, or quote that you post. Every one I've seen so far is just Babel. Don't you have any ideas of your own? Can't you express these ideas in your own words? As I asked before, what is your position? What group do you identify yourself with? It's impossible to determine this from your posts.
He chooses to believe anyone who claims that anyone who interprets the Bible literally is being dishonest. And he continues to post this disinformation, even after seeing the proof that it is not true.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BAB2,

I believe this would be what you are asking for.

Start with chapter 1. There are 10 total. The last two will be posted later this week.

It was written by me and is exactly what I believe.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-new-covenant.7924984/page-2#post-69498552

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Most of the information in this thread is now available in print form in the book "Ancient Dispensational Truth," by James C. Morris, available online from Dispensational Publishng House.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the information in this thread is now available in print form in the book "Ancient Dispensational Truth," by James C. Morris, available online from Dispensational Publishng House.

How many pages of your new book are devoted to the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34?

Upvote 0