Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Many attempt to discredit Dispensationalism by claiming that the church never taught it before about 1830. Such a claim is ridiculous, because the famous church historian Eusebius, who wrote in the mid fourth century, said that there had been “many” early church writers who held the same opinions as Papias. (“The Church History,” by Eusebius, book 3, chapter 39. - Papias was the earliest Christian commentator on Bible prophecy that we know about. He is thought to have written sometime between the years 110 and 130. Irenaeus called him “a hearer of John.” (“Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, Book V, chapter XXXIII, section 4.) But the church of the dark ages did not see fit to preserve any of his writings. We only have ten small fragments from his books that were quoted by writers dating from before the dark ages.) But of all these “many” early writers, only the writings of a few of them have been preserved. Since we know that there were “many” such writers, and we do not know what they wrote, then any claim that none of them ever taught any particular doctrine is pure nonsense.

But in addition to the foolishness of making claims about what these lost writings did or did not say, we also find clear statements about differences of opinion in the oldest Christian comments on Bible prophecy that were preserved. The oldest of these was the Epistle of Barnabas. Some scholars assign this epistle a date as early as 100, but others point to internal evidence that it could not have been written before about 130. In this epistle we read:

“Ye ought therefore to understand. And this also I further beg of you, as being one of you, and loving you both individually and collectively more than my own soul, to take heed now to yourselves, and not to be like some, adding largely to your sins, and saying, “The covenant is both theirs and ours.” But they thus finally lost it, after Moses had already received it. For the Scripture saith, “And Moses was fasting in the mount forty days and forty nights, and received the covenant from the Lord, tables of stone written with the finger of the hand of the Lord;” but turning away to idols, they lost it.” (Epistle of Barnabas, chapter IV - All quotations of Barnabas, Justin Martyr, and Irenaeus in this article are from Volume 1 of “The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers,” edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, as found in its American edition edited by A. Cleveland Coxe, and as found online at Welcome to the CCEL - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.)

The next oldest statement we have about such differences of opinion concerning Bible prophecy was made by Justin, who is called Justin Martyr because he was martyred. Chapter eighty of his “Dialogue With Trypho,” which is believed to date from about the year 170, begins as follows:

“And Trypho to this replied, ‘I remarked to you sir, that you are very anxious to be safe in all respects, since you cling to the Scriptures. But tell me, do you really admit that this place, Jerusalem, shall be rebuilt; and do you expect your people to be gathered together, and made joyful with Christ and the patriarchs, and the prophets, both the men of our nation, and other proselytes who joined them before your Christ came? Or have you given way, and admitted this in order to have the appearance of worsting us in the controversies?’
“Then I answered, ‘I am not so miserable a fellow, Trypho, as to say one thing and think another. I admitted to you formerly, that I and many others are of this opinion, and [believe] that such will take place, as you assuredly are aware; but, on the other hand, I signified to you that many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise.’” (Dialogue with Tyrpho, by Justin Martyr, chapter LXXX.)

The next oldest of the Christian comments we have that reveal disagreement on Bible prophecy were made by Irenaeus, and are thought to have been written sometime between the years 186 and 188. Chapter thirty of the fifth book of his famous work called “Against Heresies” begins as follows:

"Such, then, being the state of the case, and this number being found in all the most approved and ancient copies [of the Apocalypse], and those men who saw John face to face bearing their testimony [to it]; while reason also leads us to conclude that the number of the name of the beast, [if reckoned] according to the Greek mode of calculation by the [value of] the letters contained in it, will amount to six hundred and sixty and six; that is, the number of tens shall be equal to that of the hundreds, and the number of hundreds equal to that of the units (for that number which [expresses] the digit six being adhered to throughout, indicates the recapitulations of that apostasy, taken in its full extent, which occurred at the beginning, during the intermediate periods, and which shall take place at the end),—I do not know how it is that some have erred following the ordinary mode of speech, and have vitiated the middle number in the name, deducting the amount of fifty from it, so that instead of six decads they will have it that there is but one. [I am inclined to think that this occurred through the fault of the copyists, as is wont to happen, since numbers also are expressed by letters; so that the Greek letter which expresses the number sixty was easily expanded into the letter Iota of the Greeks.] Others then received this reading without examination; some in their simplicity, and upon their own responsibility, making use of this number expressing one decad; while some, in their inexperience, have ventured to seek out a name which should contain the erroneous and spurious number. Now, as regards those who have done this in simplicity, and without evil intent, we are at liberty to assume that pardon will be granted them by God. But as for those who, for the sake of vainglory, lay it down for certain that names containing the spurious number are to be accepted, and affirm that this name, hit upon by themselves, is that of him who is to come; such persons shall not come forth without loss, because they have led into error both themselves and those who confided in them. Now, in the first place, it is loss to wander from the truth, and to imagine that as being the case which is not; then again, as there shall be no light punishment [inflicted] upon him who either adds or subtracts anything from the Scripture, under that such a person must necessarily fall. Moreover, another danger, by no means trifling, shall overtake those who falsely presume that they know the name of Antichrist. For if these men assume one [number], when this [Antichrist] shall come having another, they will be easily led away by him, as supposing him not to be the expected one, who must be guarded against." (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXX, section 1.)

Again, chapter thirty-five of this same work begins:

“If, however, any shall endeavour to allegorize [prophecies] of this kind, they shall not be found consistent with themselves in all points, and shall be confuted by the teaching of the very expressions [in question].” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXV, section 1.)

Irenaeus did not explicitly state in this place that some in his day were actually attempting to allegorize these prophecies, but the very form of this statement would make no sense if such doctrine was not being taught. Indeed, we see the essence of the doctrine of Irenaeus was denouncing last part of the conclusion to the first part of the Epistle of Barnanas, which is, “For if I should write to you about things future, ye would not understand, because such knowledge is hid in parables. These things then are so.” (Epistle of Barnabas, chapter XVII)

When taken together, these statements conclusively prove that even by the time of the writing of these documents, which are the very oldest Christian comments on Bible prophecy that have been preserved, there was no agreement between Christians on such major points as whether the covenant belonged to the Church alone, or to both the Church and Israel, whether or not Jerusalem would be literally restored, whether Bible prophecy should be interpreted literally or allegorically, and even what was the correct text of the Revelation.

But because they are completely ignorant of all this, many Preterists, many Amillennialists, many Covenant Theologians, and many who hold the doctrine of the post tribulation rapture claim that the church never taught any view except their own during its first millennium and a half or more. All such claims are inappropriate and vain, for the only thing that is significant is what the Bible itself says. But in addition to their being unprofitable and vain, all of these claims are completely incorrect.

As we consider these documents, we need to remember that most of them are not primarily about Bible prophecy, although they discuss it. The point of the Epistle of Barnabas was to oppose Judaizing teachers in the church. Justin’s point in his “Dialogue With Trypho” was to evangelize Jews. And Irenaeus was demonstrating the errors of Gnostacism. So none of these three very early documents contains anything even resembling a full treatment of Bible prophecy.

But before we begin this examination, let it be perfectly clear that we consider it wholly unacceptable to attribute any authority whatsoever to these documents, other than their historical value. It is serious bad doctrine to claim that the writings of any man, or of any group of men, are authoritative. Our only true and proper authority is the word of God itself, the Bible.

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Let us first consider whether or not these documents can be assigned to any modern system of doctrine. We have already noticed that in his fourth chapter, Barnabas called it sin to say that “The covenant is both theirs and ours.” In his thirteenth chapter he argued at length that the covenant belongs only to us (the Christians) and not to them (the Jews.) This is a concept of Covenant Theology, and is wholly incompatible with Dispensationalism.

In a similar vein, Irenaeus said,

“Then, too, Isaiah himself has plainly declared that there shall be joy of this nature at the resurrection of the just, when he says: ‘The dead shall rise again; those, too, who are in the tombs shall arise, and those who are in the earth shall rejoice. For the dew from Thee is health to them.’ And this again Ezekiel also says: ‘Behold, I will open your tombs, and will bring you forth out of your graves; when I will draw my people from the sepulchres, and I will put breath in you, and ye shall live; and I will place you on your own land, and ye shall know that I am the Lord.’ And again the same speaks thus: ‘These things saith the Lord, I will gather Israel from all nations whither they have been driven, and I shall be sanctified in them in the sight of the sons of the nations: and they shall dwell in their own land, which I gave to my servant Jacob. And they shall dwell in it in peace; and they shall build houses, and plant vineyards, and dwell in hope, when I shall cause judgment to fall among all who have dishonoured them, among those who encircle them round about; and they shall know that I am the Lord their God, and the God of their fathers.’ Now I have shown a short time ago that the church is the seed of Abraham; and for this reason, that we may know that He who in the New Testament ‘raises up from the stones children unto Abraham,’ is He who will gather, according to the Old Testament, those that shall be saved from all the nations, Jeremiah says: ‘Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that they shall no more say, The Lord liveth, who led the children of Israel from the north, and from every region whither they had been driven; He will restore them to their own land which He gave to their fathers.’”(Against Heresies, book V, chapter XXXIV, section 1.)

Thus we see that Irenaeus said that the seed of Abraham is the Church, and through that concept he applied the Old Testament prophecies about the return of Israel to the church. This, again, is an element of Covenant Theology and is wholly incompatible with Dispensationalism.

Justin Martyr, on the other hand, taught somewhat differently, saying,

“And by Isaiah He speaks thus concerning another Israel: ‘In that day shall there be a third Israel among the Assyrians and the Egyptians, blessed in the land which the Lord of Sabaoth hath blessed, saying, blessed shall my people in Egypt and in Assyria be, and Israel mine inheritance. Since then God blesses this people, and calls them Israel, and declares them to be His inheritance, how is it that you repent not of the deception you practise on yourselves, as if you alone were the Israel, and of execrating the people whom God has blessed? For when He speaks to Jerusalem and its environs, He thus added: ‘And I will beget men upon you, even my people Israel; and they shall inherit you, and you shall be a possession for them; and you shall be no longer bereaved of them.’ ” (Dialogue withTrypho, chapter CXXIII)

In this statement Justin Martyr seems to be saying that the scriptural term Israel includes the church. This is also a concept of Covenant Theology and is incompatible with Dispensationalism. But he also clearly says that in that future day Jerusalem was to be rebuilt. This is an element of Dispensationalism, and is incompatible with Covenant Theology.

But a different statement by Justyn Martyr was clearly an element of Dispensationalism. examples of prophecies at the end of a chapter titled “Certain fulfilment of prophecy,” he concluded with the words:

“And what the people of the Jews shall say and do, when they see Him coming in glory, has been thus predicted by Zechariah the prophet: “I will command the four winds to gather the scattered children; I will command the north wind to bring them, and the south wind, that it keep not back. And then in Jerusalem there shall be great lamentation, not the lamentation of mouths or of lips, but the lamentation of the heart; and they shall rend not their garments, but their hearts. Tribe by tribe they shall mourn, and then they shall look on Him whom they have pierced; and they shall say, Why, O Lord, hast Thou made us to err from Thy way? The glory which our fathers blessed, has for us been turned into shame.” (“The First Apology of Justyn”, by Justyn Martyr, chapter 52, “Certain fulfilment of prophecy.”)

So we see that Justyn Martyr said, not only that “the people of the Jews” would again be brought back to their land, but would at that time repent. This is not only an element of Dispensationalism. It is, in actual fact, what many consider the central element of Dispensationalism.

In these same ancient documents we also find other teaching that agrees with Dispensational doctrine. Let us look, for instance, at the sequence of coming events that Irenaeus saw in the scriptures.

“In a still clearer light has John, in the Apocalypse, indicated to the Lord’s disciples what shall happen in the last times, and concerning the ten kings who shall then arise, among whom the empire which now rules [the earth] shall be partitioned. He teaches us what the ten horns shall be which were seen by Daniel, telling us that thus it had been said to him: ‘And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, who have received no kingdom as yet, but shall receive power as if kings one hour with the beast. These have one mind, and give their strength and power to the beast. These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, because He is the Lord of lords and the King of kings.’ It is manifest, therefore, that of these [potentates], he who is to come shall slay three, and subject the remainder to his power, and that he shall be himself the eighth among them. And they shall lay Babylon waste, and burn her with fire, and shall give their kingdom to the beast, and put the Church to flight. After that they shall be destroyed by the coming of our Lord.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXVI, section 1)

“Those nations however, who did not of themselves raise up their eyes unto heaven, nor returned thanks to their Maker, nor wished to behold the light of truth, but who were like blind mice concealed in the depths of ignorance, the word justly reckons ‘as waste water from a sink, and as the turning-weight of a balance—in fact, as nothing;’ so far useful and serviceable to the just, as stubble conduces towards the growth of the wheat, and its straw, by means of combustion, serves for working gold. And therefore, when in the end the Church shall be suddenly caught up from this, it is said, ‘There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be.’ For this is the last contest of the righteous, in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXIX, section 1)

“But when this Antichrist shall have devastated all things in this world, he will reign for three years and six months, and sit in the temple at Jerusalem; and then the Lord will come from heaven in the clouds, in the glory of the Father, sending this man and those who follow him into the lake of fire; but bringing in for the righteous the times of the kingdom, that is, the rest, the hallowed seventh day; and restoring to Abraham the promised inheritance, in which kingdom the Lord declared, that ‘many coming from the east and from the west should sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.’” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXX, section 3)

“For all these and other words were unquestionably spoken in reference to the resurrection of the just, which takes place after the coming of Antichrist, and the destruction of all nations under his rule; in [the times of] which [resurrection] the righteous shall reign in the earth, waxing stronger by the sight of the Lord: and through Him they shall become accustomed to partake in the glory of God the Father, and shall enjoy in the kingdom intercourse and communion with the holy angels, and union with spiritual beings; those whom the Lord shall find in the flesh, awaiting Him from heaven, and who have suffered tribulation, as well as escaped the hands of the Wicked one. For it is in reference to them that the prophet says: ‘And those that are left shall multiply upon the earth,’ And Jeremiah the prophet has pointed out, that as many believers as God has prepared for this purpose, to multiply those left upon earth, should both be under the rule of the saints to minister to this Jerusalem, and that [His] kingdom shall be in it, saying, ‘Look around Jerusalem towards the east, and behold the joy which comes to thee from God Himself. Behold, thy sons shall come whom thou hast sent forth: they shall come in a band from the east even unto the west, by the word of that Holy One, rejoicing in that splendour which is from thy God.’” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXV, section 1)

“And in the Apocalypse John saw this new [Jerusalem] descending upon the new earth. For after the times of the kingdom, he says, ‘I saw a great white throne, and Him who sat upon it, from whose face the earth fled away, and the heavens; and there was no more place for them.’ And he sets forth, too, the things connected with the general resurrection and the judgment, mentioning ‘the dead, great and small.’ ‘The sea,’ he says, ‘gave up the dead which it had in it, and death and hell delivered up the dead that they contained; and the books were opened. Moreover,’ he says, ‘the book of life was opened, and the dead were judged out of those things that were written in the books, according to their works; and death and hell were sent into the lake of fire, the second death.’ Now this is what is called Gehenna, which the Lord styled eternal fire. ‘And if any one,’ it is said, ‘was not found written in the book of life, he was sent into the lake of fire.’ And after this, he says, ‘I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth have passed away; also there was no more sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from heaven, as a bride adorned for her husband.’ ‘And I heard,’ it is said, ‘a great voice from the throne, saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them; and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be with them as their God. And He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and death shall be no more, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain, because the former things have passed away.’ Isaiah also declares the very same: ‘For there shall be a new heaven and a new earth; and there shall be no remembrance of the former, neither shall the heart think about them, but they shall find in it joy and exultation.’ Now this is what has been said by the apostle: ‘For the fashion of this world passeth away.’ To the same purpose did the Lord also declare, ‘Heaven and earth shall pass away.’ When these things, therefore, pass away above the earth, John, the Lord’s disciple, says that the new Jerusalem above shall [then] descend, as a bride adorned for her husband; and that this is the tabernacle of God, in which God will dwell with men. Of this Jerusalem the former one is an image—that Jerusalem of the former earth in which the righteous are disciplined beforehand for incorruption and prepared for salvation.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXV, section 2)

In this sequence of quotations, we see the following sequence clearly spelled out:

1. In the last times the Roman Empire shall be partitioned among ten kings.

2. One of these ten kings will slay three of the others, subject the rest to his power, and put the Church to flight.

3. When the church is “suddenly caught up from” the nations there will be great tribulation which will be “the last contest of the righteous.”

4. The Antichrist will reign for three years and six months.

5. The Antichrist and his followers will be destroyed when the Lord comes in the clouds.

6. The just will be resurrected after the coming of Antichrist.

7. The righteous will reign in the earth.

8. The survivors of the tribulation will serve in the kingdom and multiply on the earth.

9. After the kingdom will come the general resurrection and judgement.

10. After the judgment will come the new heavens and new earth.

This is exactly the order of events foreseen by Dispensationalists of the persuasion that is now called the “mid-tribulation rapture.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nor is this the only dispensational doctrine to be found in these ancient documents. Several more of them are referred to in the following statements by Irenaeus:

“The Lord also spoke as follows to those who did not believe in Him: ‘I have come in my Father’s name, and ye have not received Me: when another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive,’ calling Antichrist ‘the other,’ because he is alienated from the Lord. This is also the unjust judge, whom the Lord mentioned as one ‘who feared not God, neither regarded man,’ to whom the widow fled in her forgetfulness of God,—that is, the earthly Jerusalem,—to be avenged of her adversary. Which also he shall do in the time of his kingdom: he shall remove his kingdom into that [city], and shall sit in the temple of God, leading astray those who worship him, as if he were Christ.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXV, section 4)

“Moreover, he (the apostle) has also pointed out this which I have shown in many ways, that the temple in Jerusalem was made by the direction of the true God. For the apostle himself, speaking in his own person, distinctly called it the temple of God. Now I have shown in the third book, that no one is termed God by the apostles when speaking for themselves, except Him who truly is God, the Father of our Lord, by whose directions the temple which is at Jerusalem was constructed for those purposes which I have already mentioned; in which [temple] the enemy shall sit, endeavouring to show himself as Christ, as the Lord also declares: ‘But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, which has been spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let him that readeth understand), then let those who are in Judea flee into the mountains; and he who is upon the house-top, let him not come down to take anything out of his house: for there shall then be great hardship, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, nor ever shall be.’” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXV, section 2)

“And then he points out the time that his tyranny shall last, during which the saints shall be put to flight, they who offer a pure sacrifice unto God: ‘And in the midst of the week,’ he says, ‘the sacrifice and the libation shall be taken away, and the abomination of desolation [shall be brought] into the temple: even unto the consummation of the time shall the desolation be complete.’Now three years and six months constitute the half-week.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXV, section 4)

In this series of statements, we notice that in the first of them Irenaeus clearly says that the Antichrist “shall remove his kingdom into” [“the earthly Jerusalem”] “and shall sit in the temple of God, leading astray those who worship him, as if he were Christ.” In the second he insists that “the temple which is at Jerusalem” is the place “in which [temple] the enemy shall sit, endeavouring to show himself as Christ.” And then he quotes Daniel 9:27, “‘And in the midst of the week,’ he says, ‘the sacrifice and the libation shall be taken away.’” Now Christian worship does not include a libation. So we see that the worship Irenaeus is referring to is Jewish worship in the temple in “the earthly Jerusalem.” We also notice that in the last of these statements he very clearly refers to Daniel’s seventieth week as the week in which the Antichrist will come.

Thus we see in these statements of Irenaeus each of the following concepts:

1. That in the future there will again be a temple in Jerusalem.
2. That Jewish worship will be resumed in this future temple.
3. That this future temple will be “the temple of God.”
4. That this future Jewish temple is where the Antichrist will sit as God.
5. And that Daniel’s seventieth week remains to be fulfilled in the future.

Each of these concepts is unquestionably an element of Dispensationalism, and is incompatible with Covenant Theology.

Hyppolytus, a student of Irenaeus, expanded upon this concept of a future fulfillment of Daniel’s seventieth week, saying:

“For after sixty-two weeks was fulfilled and after Christ has come and the Gospel has been preached in every place, times having been spun out, the end remains one week away, in which Elijah and Enoch shall be present and in its half the abomination of desolation, the Antichrist, shall appear who threatens desolation of the world. After he comes, sacrifice and drink offering, which now in every way is offered by the nations to God, shall be taken away.” (Commentary on Daniel, by Hyppolytus, book 4, 35.3 - The “Commentary on Daniel,” by Hyppolytus, is believed to have been written between the years 202 and 211, and is the very oldest Christian commentary on scripture that has survived to the present day. All quotations of Hyppolytus in this article are taken from the translation by T. C. Schmidt, available online at http://www.chronicon.net.)

Hyppolytus returned to this subject some pages later, writing:

“Just as also he spoke to Daniel, “And he shall establish a covenant with many for one week and it will be that in the half of the week he shall take away my sacrifice and drink offering,” so that the one week may be shown as divided into two, after the two witnesses will have preached for three and a half years, the Antichrist will wage war against the saints the remainder of the week and will desolate all the world so that what was spoken may be fulfilled, “And they will give the abomination of desolation one thousand two hundred ninety days. Blessed is he who endures to Christ and reaches the one thousand three hundred thirty-five days!” (Commentary on Daniel, by Hyppolytus, book 4, 50.2)

But Irenaeus did not just teach some elements of dispensationalism. He repeatedly and explicitly spoke of God dealing with mankind in various dispensations. Here are a few of the more pointed places where he did so.

“Chapter VIII.—The gifts of the Holy Spirit which we receive prepare us for incorruption, render us spiritual, and separate us from carnal men. These two classes are signified by the clean and unclean animals in the legal dispensation.” (Against Heresies, Book V, title of Chapter VIII)

“If therefore the great God showed future things by Daniel, and confirmed them by His Son; and if Christ is the stone which is cut out without hands, who shall destroy temporal kingdoms, and introduce an eternal one, which is the resurrection of the just; as he declares, “The God of heaven shall raise up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed,”—let those thus confuted come to their senses, who reject the Creator (Demiurgum), and do not agree that the prophets were sent beforehand from the same Father from whom also the Lord came, but who assert that prophecies originated from diverse powers. For those things which have been predicted by the Creator alike through all the prophets has Christ fulfilled in the end, ministering to His Father’s will, and completing His dispensations with regard to the human race.” (Against Heresies, Book V, Chapter XXVI, section 2.)

“Inasmuch, therefore, as the opinions of certain [orthodox persons] are derived from heretical discourses, they are both ignorant of God’s dispensations, and of the mystery of the resurrection of the just, and of the [earthly] kingdom which is the commencement of incorruption, by means of which kingdom those who shall be worthy are accustomed gradually to partake of the divine nature (capere Deum); and it is necessary to tell them respecting those things, that it behoves the righteous first to receive the promise of the inheritance which God promised to the fathers, and to reign in it, when they rise again to behold God in this creation which is renovated, and that the judgment should take place afterwards.” (Against Heresies, Book V, Chapter XXXII, section 1.)

In the first of these, we notice that Irenaeus refered to typology in “the legal dispensation.” In the second he spoke of Christ “completing his dispensations with regard to the human race,” and in the third he finds it necessary to tell these things to “certain [orthodox persons]” because they were “ignorant of God’s dispensations” due to the fact that they had derived their opinions “from heretical discourses.”

These statements show that Irenaeus taught that God dealt with mankind differently in various dispensations, and that ignorance of these dispensations blinded men to an understanding of what God said about the future.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We have already noted that in the fourth century Eusebius wrote his famous “Church History.” There he said of Papias:

“For he appears to have been of very limited understanding, as one can see from his discourses. But it was due to him that so many of the Church Fathers after him adopted a like opinion, urging in their own support the antiquity of the man; as for instance Irenæus and any one else that may have proclaimed similar views.” (The Church History, by Eusebius, book III, chapter XXXIX, section 13. - All quotations from Eusebius in this article are as translated by Arthur C. McGiffert and Ernest C. Richardson, and as found in volume 1 of the second series of “Nicene and post Nicene Fathers,” edited by Phillip Schaff , and as found online at Welcome to the CCEL - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.)

So we clearly see that according to Eusebius, Irenaeus and “many of the Church Fathers after him adopted a like opinion” (to that of Papias.) Since we have only a few fragments of the writings of Papias, and we have only a few examples from these “many” other early writers, the words of Irenaeus evidently represent an entire genre of ancient literature. So it is fair to surmise that the dispensational concepts espoused by Irenaeus are representative of the doctrine of “many” other early Christian writers.

Nor are these the only dispensational concepts that existed in the early church. We have already noticed that Irenaeus taught that the temple in “the earthly Jerusalem” would be rebuilt, that he mentioned Jewish worship in that future temple, and that he stressed that God would recognize this temple as his own. These comments, when taken together, indeed show a concept of a future program for Israel, but Irenaeus did not stress this. But the concept of a future blessing for the nation of Israel was also clearly taught, although not in even one document that was preserved. We know this doctrine was taught at that time, not from documents teaching it, but from documents condemning those who taught it. The first of these is the first comment by Barnabas which we examined (but for a different reason) at the beginning of this article.

“Ye ought therefore to understand. And this also I further beg of you, as being one of you, and loving you both individually and collectively more than my own soul, to take heed now to yourselves, and not to be like some, adding largely to your sins, and saying, “The covenant is both theirs and ours.” But they thus finally lost it, after Moses had already received it. For the Scripture saith, “And Moses was fasting in the mount forty days and forty nights, and received the covenant from the Lord, tables of stone written with the finger of the hand of the Lord;” but turning away to idols, they lost it.” (Epistle of Barnabas, chapter IV)

Here Barnabas was very clearly condemning some in his day who were saying that the covenant, although it now belongs to the church, also still belongs to Israel. This clearly shows that in that day there were some who were teaching that the promises still apply to Israel. We find this stated even more clearly by Tertullian, where he said:

“Yes, certainly, you say, I do hope from Him that which amounts in itself to a proof of the diversity (of Christs), God’s kingdom in an everlasting and heavenly possession. Besides, your Christ promises to the Jews their primitive condition, with the recovery of their country; and after this life’s course is over, repose in Hades in Abraham’s bosom. Oh, most excellent God, when He restores in amnesty what He took away in wrath! Oh, what a God is yours, who both wounds and heals, creates evil and makes peace! Oh, what a God, that is merciful even down to Hades! I shall have something to say about Abraham’s bosom in the proper place. As for the restoration of Judaea, however, which even the Jews themselves, induced by the names of places and countries, hope for just as it is described, it would be tedious to state at length how the figurative interpretation is spiritually applicable to Christ and His church, and to the character and fruits thereof; besides, the subject has been regularly treated in another work, which we entitled De Spe Fidelium.” (“Anti-Marcion,” by Tertullian, Book III, Chap. XXIV - From Volume 3 of “The Early Church Fathers: Ante-Nicene Fathers,” edited by Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, as found in its American edition edited by A. Cleveland Coxe, and as found online at Welcome to the CCEL - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.)

,Here we find Tertullian, who was himself later condemned as an heretic, accusing Marcion of blaspheming Christ by interpreting the Old Testament promises to Israel “just as it is described.” (The logic of this escapes me, but even to this day, dispensationalists are still being charged with blasphemy for the same reason.) A word of caution is needed here, however, for if all of Tertullian’s accusations were true, Marcion was indeed guilty of blaspheming Christ in numerous other ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
To truly understand what these early Christians believed, we need to examine the time at which they expected these things to take place. Barnabas said:

“The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation [thus]: ‘And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it.’Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, ‘He finished in six days.’ This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, will be as a thousand years. Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. ‘And He rested on the seventh day.’ This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the-sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day. Moreover, He says, ‘Thou shalt sanctify it with pure hands and a pure heart.’ If, therefore, any one can now sanctify the day which God hath sanctified, except he is pure in heart in all things, Behold, therefore: certainly then one properly resting sanctifies it, when we ourselves, having received the promise, wickedness no longer existing, and all things having been made new by the Lord, shall be able to work righteousness. Then we shall be able to sanctify it, having been first sanctified ourselves.” (Epistle of Barnabas, chapter XV)

In commenting on “the beast,” Irenaeus said,

“‘And he will cause a mark [to be put] in the forehead and in the right hand, that no one may be able to buy or sell, unless he who has the mark of the name of the beast or the number of his name; and the number is six hundred and sixty-six,’ that is, six times a hundred, six times ten, and six units. [He gives this] as a summing up of the whole of that apostasy which has taken place during six thousand years.
“For in as many days as this world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded. And for this reason the Scripture says: ‘Thus the heaven and the earth were finished, and all their adornment. And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works.’This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years; and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXVII, sections 2-3)

Irenaeus further said,

“And again He says, “Whosoever shall have left lands, or houses, or parents, or brethren, or children because of Me, he shall receive in this world an hundred-fold, and in that to come he shall inherit eternal life.” For what are the hundred-fold [rewards] in this word, the entertainments given to the poor, and the suppers for which a return is made? These are [to take place] in the times of the kingdom, that is, upon the seventh day, which has been sanctified, in which God rested from all the works which He created, which is the true Sabbath of the righteous, which they shall not be engaged in any earthly occupation; but shall have a table at hand prepared for them by God, supplying them with all sorts of dishes.” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXIII, section 2)

Both Barnabas and Irenaeus clearly taught that the time when God destroys the Antichrist will be at the end of the earth’s six thousandth year. Now if either of these writers was using the chronology of the Hebrew text of the Old Testament, they would have thought that all this would take place nearly two thousand years into their future. But at this time almost all Christians used the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew scriptures into Greek. This translation added significant numbers of years to many of the time periods given in the Old Testament, making the age of our present creation at the time of the birth of Jesus about five and a half thousand years, instead of the familiar four thousand years given in the Hebrew text. So they most likely thought that all this would take place only hundreds of years into their future, rather than thousands of years. But regardless of whether they thought these things would take place hundreds or thousands of years later, they placed them far into their own futures. These two statements of Barnabas and Irenaeus, in and by themselves, are death to the claims of Preterists that their doctrine had always been taught by the church. But the extreme error this claim can best be seen in a statement by Jerome, who wrote in the fifth century that, "We should therefore concur with the traditional interpretation of all the commentators of the Christian Church, that at the end of the world, when the Roman Empire is to be destroyed, there shall be ten kings who will partition the Roman world amongst themselves. Then an insignificant eleventh king will arise, who will overcome three of the ten kings." (Jerome’s comments on Daniel 7:8, as found in “Jerome’s Commentary on Daniel,” translated by Gleason L. Archer, Jr., published by Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, 1958.)

Although neither Barnabas nor Irenaeus explicitly said that this kingdom would last a thousand years, they both put it far into the future and both strongly implied it by saying that the six days of creation represented six thousand years, and that the seventh day of rest represented the time of the kingdom.

Justin said nothing about the six thousand years, but clearly stated that the kingdom would be in the future and would last a thousand years, saying,

“I and others, who are right-minded Christians on all points, are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which will then be built, adorned, and enlarged, [as] the prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah and others declare.
“For Isaiah spake thus concerning this space of a thousand years: ‘For there shall be the new heaven and the new earth, and the former shall not be remembered, or come into their heart; but they shall find joy and gladness in it, which things I create. For, Behold, I make Jerusalem a rejoicing, and My people a joy; and I shall rejoice over Jerusalem, and be glad over My people. And the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, or the voice of crying. And there shall be no more there a person of immature years, or an old man who shall not fulfil his days. For the young man shall be an hundred years old; but the sinner who dies an hundred years old, he shall be accursed. And they shall build houses, and shall themselves inhabit them; and they shall plant vines, and shall themselves eat the produce of them, and drink the wine. They shall not build, and others inhabit; they shall not plant, and others eat. For according to the days of the tree of life shall be the days of my people; the works of their toil shall abound... Now we have understood that the expression used among these words, ‘According to the days of the tree shall be the days of my people; the works of their toil shall abound’ obscurely predicts a thousand years. We have perceived, moreover, that the expression, ‘The day of the Lord is as a thousand years, is connected with this subject. And further, there was a certain man with us, whose name was John, one of the apostles of Christ, who prophesied, by a revelation that was made to him, that those who believed in our Christ would dwell a thousand years in Jerusalem; and that thereafter the general, and, in short, the eternal resurrection and judgment of all men would likewise take place.” (Dialogue With Trypho, by Justin Martyr, chapters LXXX-LXXXI)

According to Eusebius, Papias also explicitly said the kingdom would be in the future and would last a thousand years, saying, “The same writer gives also other accounts which he says came to him through unwritten tradition, certain strange parables and teachings of the Saviour, and some other more mythical things. To these belong his statement that there will be a period of some thousand years after the resurrection of the dead, and that the kingdom of Christ will be set up in material form on this very earth.” (The Church History, by Eusebius, book III, chapter XXXIX, sections 12-13.)

Irenaeus further commented on the future character of this kingdom, saying,

“Then again, speaking of Jerusalem, and of Him reigning there, Isaiah declares, ‘Thus saith the Lord, Happy is he who hath seed in Zion, and servants in Jerusalem. Behold, a righteous king shall reign, and princes shall rule with judgment.’ And with regard to the foundation on which it shall be rebuilt, he says: ‘Behold, I will lay in order for thee a carbuncle stone, and sapphire for thy foundations; and I will lay thy ramparts with jasper, and thy gates with crystal, and thy wall with choice stones: and all thy children shall be taught of God, and great shall be the peace of thy children; and in righteousness shalt thou be built up.’ And yet again does he say the same thing: ‘Behold, I make Jerusalem a rejoicing, and my people [a joy]; for the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying. Also there shall not be there any immature [one], nor an old man who does not fulfil his time: for the youth shall be of a hundred years; and the sinner shall die a hundred years old, yet shall be accursed. And they shall build houses, and inhabit them themselves; and shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them themselves, and shall drink wine. And they shall not build, and others inhabit; neither shall they prepare the vineyard, and others eat. For as the days of the tree of life shall be the days of the people in thee; for the works of their hands shall endure.’” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXIV, section 4)

“Now all these things being such as they are, cannot be understood in reference to super-celestial matters; ‘for God, it is said,’ ‘will show to the whole earth that is under heaven thy glory.’ But in the times of the kingdom, the earth has been called again by Christ [to its pristine condition], and Jerusalem rebuilt after the pattern of the Jerusalem above, of which the prophet Isaiah says, ‘Behold, I have depicted thy walls upon my hands, and thou art always in my sight.’” (Against Heresies, by Irenaeus, book V, chapter XXXV, section 2)

We have now seen that the millennium was described as a future kingdom by Papias, Barnabas, Justin, and Irenaeus. This is all the Christian commentators on prophecy that wrote before the third century and whose works were preserved. We have also seen that both Papias and Justin explicitly said that this period would last a thousand years, and that both of the other two strongly implied it. This is evidence that Amillennism was not the original doctrine of the church, and is absolute proof that the claim that the church had always taught Amillennialism until a few hundred years ago is completely incorrect.

We have also seen that all four of these early Christian teachers looked for a fulfillment of Bible prophecy in the future. This is evidence that Preterism was not the original doctrine of the church, and is absolute proof that their claim that the church had always taught their doctrine before a few hundred years ago is completely incorrect.

We have also seen that although Barnabas, Justin, and Irenaeus, taught doctrine consistent with Covenant Theology, Justin and Irenaeus also taught doctrine consistent with Dispensationalism and Irenaeus explicitly spoke of God dealing with man in various dispensations. And we have seen that the doctrine of Irenaeus is the only surviving example of a whole genre of early Christian writings that goes back to the earliest known Christian commentary on Bible prophecy. This is evidence that Covenant Theology was not the original doctrine of the church, and is absolute proof that their claim that the church had always taught their doctrine before a few hundred years ago is completely incorrect.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We have also seen that this same Irenaeus wrote of the evil of the nations and then said, "And therefore, when in the end the Church shall be suddenly caught up from this, it is said, 'There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be.'For this is the last contest of the righteous, in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption'" (Against Heresies, Book V, Chapter XXIX, section 2.)

We need to notice the following elements in this short statement:

First, the church will be "suddenly caught up."

Second, after the church is "Suddenly caught up," "There shall be tribulation such as has not been since the beginning, neither shall be." Lest anyone claim that this is not specifically stated to be after “the church is "suddenly caught up," please note that the grammatical construction (when) -- (one event takes place) -- (a second event takes place) has two possible meanings. It either means that the two events will take place at the same time or it means that the second event will take place after the first event. But it cannot mean that the second event takes place before the first event. In this case the first event is clearly instantaneous and the second event will obviously consume a significant period of time. So it is unreasonable to argue that the writer’s intention was anything other than to state that this “tribulation” would take place after the church is “suddenly caught up.”

Third, this period of tribulation is specifically called "the last contest of the righteous." and it explicitly says of these righteous in this particular contest, "in which, when they overcome they are crowned with incorruption."

--- It is clearly dispensational doctrine, incompatible with Covenant Theology, that after the church is "suddenly caught up" there will be a righteous remnant that will undergo a great trial of faith, and that, when they triumph in this trial, they will be crowned with righteousness. Many dispensationalists differentiate between the “tribulation” (the entire seven year period) and the “great tribulation” (the last three and half years.) This appears to be the position held by Irenaeus.---

So this statement clearly teaches that the rapture will occur before the great tribulation.

Next we come to a late third century commentary on the Revelation, which said concerning Revelation 14:6, “‘And the heaven withdrew as a scroll that is rolled up.’”] For the heaven to be rolled away, that is, that the Church shall be taken away.” Then, concerning Revelation 15:1, it said “‘And I saw another great and wonderful sign, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is completed the indignation of God.’] For the wrath of God always strikes the obstinate people with seven plagues, that is, perfectly, as it is said in Leviticus; and these shall be in the last time, when the Church shall have gone out of the midst.”

(“Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John,” by Victorinus.) The date this was written is unknown, but Victorinus is thought to have flourished around 270 AD, and to have died in 303 AD.

These statements are plainly pre-tribulational. For he foresaw the church “taken away” long before the time of the Antichrist in Revelation 13, and he explicitly mentioned that “the Church shall have gone out of the midst” during the seven last plagues of Revelation 15.

There is also other evidence of similar doctrine having been taught in ancient times. Among these we find the following statement by John of Crysostem which is thought to have been written sometime between the years 395 and 407.

“2 Thessalonians ii. 6–9
“‘And now ye know that which restraineth, to the end that he may be revealed in his own season. For the mystery of lawlessness doth already work: only there is one that restraineth now, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall be revealed the lawless one, whom the Lord Jesus shall slay with the breath of His mouth, and bring to nought by the manifestation of His coming: even he whose coming is according to the working of Satan.’
“One may naturally enquire, what is that which withholdeth, and after that would know, why Paul expresses it so obscurely. What then is it that withholdeth, that is, hindereth him from being revealed? Some indeed say, the grace of the Spirit, but others the Roman empire, to whom I most of all accede. Wherefore? Because if he meant to say the Spirit, he would not have spoken obscurely, but plainly, that even now the grace of the Spirit, that is the gifts, withhold him.” (Homilies on 2 Thessalonians, Homily IV, by John Chrysostom - from Volume XIII of “Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers,” series 2, as translated by James Tweed and edited by Philip Schaff, as found in the American edition edited by Phillip Schaff , and as found online at Welcome to the CCEL - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.)

Although it is strangely stated, this appears to be a saying that some in the day of John of Crysostom were saying that the restrainer of 2 Thessalonians 2:6 is the Holy Spirit. As this is one of the key elements of the doctrine of the pre-tribulation rapture, this appears to be evidence that some were teaching this doctrine around the beginning of the fifth century. This is all the more important historically, because the man who mentioned it did not himself believe this doctrine.

But in addition to these critically important very early comments, we have absolute proof that the claim that the church had always taught the doctrine of the post tribulation rapture before a few hundred years ago is completely incorrect. This proof is found in a document, whose age and author is unknown, but which is known to have been in Church libraries before the year 800. Based on events referred to in this document as impending, various scholars have estimated its date from as early as 373 to as late as 627. As scholars do not believe the unknown author could have been the famous Ephraem the Syrian, (who is also known as Ephraem of Nisbis) they call this unknown author Pseudo-Ephraem. This document says,

“Why therefore do we not reject every care of earthly actions and prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world? Believe you me, dearest brother, because the coming (advent) of the Lord is nigh, believe you me, because the end of the world is at hand, believe me, because it is the very last time. Or do you not believe unless you see with your eyes? See to it that this sentence be not fulfilled among you of the prophet who declares: ‘Woe to those who desire to see the day of the Lord!’ For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.” (“On the Last Times, the Antichrist, and the End of the World,” author unknown but called Pseudo-Ephraem, section 2. - From “The Byzantine Apocalyptic Tradition,” by Paul J. Alexander, Berkeley: University of California Press, 1985, 2.10. Cited there from “Abhandlungen und Predigten aus den zwei letzten Jahrhunderten des kirchlichen Altertums und dem Anfang des Mittelaters,” C. P. Caspari, ed. Briefe, Christiania, 1890, 208-20. As found online at On the Last Times, the Anti-Christ, andthe End of the World)

These last four statements are evidence that the post tribulation rapture was not the original doctrine of the church, and are conclusive proof that the claim that the church had always taught the post tribulation rapture until a few hundred years ago is completely incorrect.

This short study has covered every Christian commentator on Bible prophecy who wrote before the year 200 and whose works have been preserved and has included several other writers of later, but still very ancient, dates. It has uncovered in these very ancient documents some concepts incompatible with Dispensationalism. But it has also uncovered many clearly Dispensational concepts in these same writings. So in conclusion, there is not even one modern school of prophetic interpretation that can legitimately claim that the earliest known Christian writings on Bible prophecy taught only their ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My problem is one of interpretation. None of these men say Israel lost its place with God only that they lost their covenant. It is Israel which first receives the New Covenant in Christ and through this Israel first approach the 12 Israelite Apostles spread the gospel (a concept God gave to the Israelites) we are made beneficiaries of the promised redeemer.

Now we are a new people who were not a people but that is because we are an entirely new order of creature after the last Adam (and when He appears we shall be like Him).

Paul

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I enjoyed it as well, but your dating for these men is after the critical school who intentionally post dates everything from the Exodus to Revelations. Great post however. The Lord bless...

Paul

I do not imagine myself to be an expert on dating. My dates are simply what I found on wikipedia. Of course, we do not actually know when most of this was written. I do not rely on any such alleged dates. That is why you will notice that I systematically used language like "is thought to have been written [about or between]..."

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Indeed, some viewed the roman empire, and its superstitious religions as the end of the age (world) which was also foretold in (Dan7:25,26); rather than what had transpired with the ending of the mosaic covt age in the first century.

The fall of Rome is dated by many to have occured in @ 475 AD which did coincide with the dates of the ends of the 6th millennium according to the sept.

So is it the sept, stemming from @200bc, which was used by the apostles, whose dates were added to, or was it the dates of the masoretic texts, stemming from centuries later (7th thru 10th) and in the hands of the Masoretes which were subtracted from??

Since the apparent millenial kingdom didn't materialize according to their predictions; but the fall of the Roman empire did, and since Jesus declared the kingdom to NOT be a visible kingdom , but to be within and associated within believers in Him in God; could there be another and different meaning of the millenial reign??

Seeing that Jesus is referred to as the second Adam, and eternal life is through Him, how many years short of 1000 did Adam live?? Answer: 930. See Isaiah 60:22. How could Adam/Jesus become 1000??

As noted to BW in another thread, the ECF,s got many things right but seemed to read the epistles and other prophecies as if written to a second or third century "christian religion" audience rather than a first century intercovanental audience, upon whom the ends of the world had come. This is an error that continues today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Indeed, some viewed the roman empire, and its superstitious religions as the end of the age (world) which was also foretold in (Dan7:25,26); rather than what had transpired with the ending of the mosaic covt age in the first century.

The fall of Rome is dated by many to have occured in @ 475 AD which did coincide with the dates of the ends of the 6th millennium according to the sept.

So is it the sept, stemming from @200bc, which was used by the apostles, whose dates were added to, or was it the dates of the masoretic texts, stemming from centuries later (7th thru 10th) and in the hands of the Masoretes which were subtracted from??

Since the apparent millenial kingdom didn't materialize according to their predictions; but the fall of the Roman empire did, and since Jesus declared the kingdom to NOT be a visible kingdom , but to be within and associated within believers in Him in God; could there be another and different meaning of the millenial reign??

Seeing that Jesus is referred to as the second Adam, and eternal life is through Him, ho w many years short of 1000 did Adam live?? See Is 60: 22 or 23. How could Adam/Jesus become 1000??

As noted to BW in another thread, the ECF,s got many things right but seemed to read the epistles and other prophecies as if written to a second or third century "christian religion" audience rather than a first century intercovanental audience, upon whom the ends of the world had come. This is an error that continues today.

Actually, the error is assuming it was written to "a first century intercovanental audience." It was explicitly revealed to the Old Testament prophets that they were speaking of a future day, not of their own time. But you assume that this is not what was done in the New Testament.

And as a side note, according to the chronology of Perowne, Adam was created in 5411 B.C. (by modern dates.) 6000 - 5411 makes 589, not 475.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, the error is assuming it was written to "a first century intercovanental audience." It was explicitly revealed to the Old Testament prophets that they were speaking of a future day, not of their own time. But you assume that this is not what was done in the New Testament.

And as a side note, according to the chronology of Perowne, Adam was created in 5411 B.C. (by modern dates.) 6000 - 5411 makes 589, not 475.

Victorinus or Africanus came up with about 475. His info and an overview is on another computer.
And we remain fitmly in disagreement on the audience intention of the epistles. Lessons can be gleaned and truths affirmed; but when paul or peter were writing to You, it eis the first century audience.

I strongly reaffitm that statement of there being an intercovanental audience. The evidence is scattered throughout namely in the mention of Balaak and Baalum in 2 Peter , in Jesus' replacement of the wilderness manna with the bread of the truth of his words and in 1 cor 10 and even Heb 10. Remember also how Peter had to be reaffirmed in a vision before he would eat things that were 'unclean according to previous misaic law.

The process was partly instantaneous and partly gradual as the times and seasons appointd during the 40yr establishme.t of the mosaic covt were fulfilled/ended by the experiences of the apostles/disciples during their 40 yrs.

If there is no 'intercovanental period, then are we still in the mosaic covt?

To reject the original audience considerations is to ignore one of the most important
rules of hermeneutics. In this case the 'intercovanental audience

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is africanus who calculated the date to.@475.
Victorinus is the one who stated that 'they are not to be heard who teach that there will be a future literal reign of christ on the earth. The reign and the kingdom is here now in the saints. (paraphrasing)

Will catch up to this and other threads later. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is africanus who calculated the date to.@475.
Victorinus is the one who stated that 'they are not to be heard who teach that there will be a future literal reign of christ on the earth. The reign and the kingdom is here now in the saints. (paraphrasing)

Will catch up to this and other threads later. :)

Yes actually all the early church fathers who wrote about the subject for the first 300 years wrote about a literal 1,000 year reign on earth but this is pre-millennialism not dispensationalism. They were all "historic pre-millennialists" not "dispensationalist premillennialists" and there is a difference, though they believed in two distinct covenants. Why? Because they did not teach that God was done with Israel (as some dispensationalists teach) nor that Israel was separate and distinct. We are the fullfillment of the law and the prophets not the replacement and we are the real Israel (spiritually complete in Messiah). The one grows into the other, the OT was the shool master to bring all into Christ. Judaism proper is now no longer a system the Lord desired (not that it would be His but forever separate...they were to come to Messiah)

Paul

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes actually all the early church fathers who wrote about the subject for the first 300 years wrote about a literal 1,000 year reign on earth but this is pre-millennialism not dispensationalism. They were all "historic pre-millennialists" not "dispensationalist premillennialists" and there is a difference, though they believed in two distinct covenants. Why? Because they did not teach that God was done with Israel (as some dispensationalists teach) nor that Israel was separate and distinct. We are the fullfillment of the law and the prophets not the replacement and we are the real Israel (spiritually complete in Messiah). The one grows into the other, the OT was the shool master to bring all into Christ. Judaism proper is now no longer a system the Lord desired (not that it would be His but forever separate...they were to come to Messiah)

Paul

Well Victorinus was @230Ad and wrote against a literal 1000 yrs, and Justin Martyr wrote that there were many noble Christians in his 2nd century day who did not believe in a literal 1000 yrs of chist on earth, but that he was among those who did.

Just not sure which yoyr affirming. I'm affirming with victorinus that it resides in the abiding and indwelt saints.

Thanks for the reply.
Cath up later.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Around 270 A.D. Victorinus said “1–3. “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the abyss, and a chain in his hand. And he held the dragon, that old serpent, which is called the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and cast him into the abyss, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be finished: after this he must be loosed a little season.”]

Those years wherein Satan is bound are in the first advent of Christ, even to the end of the age; and they are called a thousand, according to that mode of speaking, wherein a part is signified by the whole, just as is that passage, “the word which He commanded for a thousand generations,” although they are not a thousand. Moreover that he says, “and he cast him into the abyss,” he says this, because the devil, excluded from the hearts of believers, began to take possession of the wicked, in whose hearts, blinded day by day, he is shut up as if in a profound abyss. And he shut him up, says he, and put a seal upon him, that he should not deceive the nations until the thousand years should be finished. “He shut the door upon him,” it is said, that is, he forbade and restrained his seducing those who belong to Christ. Moreover, he put a seal upon him, because it is hidden who belong to the side of the devil, and who to that of Christ. For we know not of those who seem to stand whether they shall not fall, and of those who are down it is uncertain whether they may rise. Moreover, that he says that he is bound and shut up, that he may not seduce the nations, the nations signify the Church, seeing that of them it itself is formed, and which being seduced, he previously held until, he says, the thousand years should be completed,that is, what is left of the sixth day, to wit, of the sixth age, which subsists for a thousand years; after this he must be loosed for a little season.

The little season signifies three years and six months, in which with all his power the devil will avenge himself under Antichrist against the Church. Finally, he says, after that the devil shall be loosed, and will seduce the nations in the whole world, and will entice war against the Church, the number of whose foes shall be as the sand of the sea.”

So though Victorinus gives us the “inclusive reckoning” of the Jews as an example how 1,000 can be an indeterminate length of a greater amount of time, if you just read on you will see his belief revealed that this sixth age before the release of Satan is actually 1,000 years (in his opinion)…

The only difference I see with the other is that he places the Anti-Christ after this 1,000 year captivity as opposed to before…but I admit, he would be the first that could be interpreted in this way...

Paul

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Therefore they are not to be heard who assure hemselves that there is to be an earthly eign of a thousand years; who think, that is to say, with the heretic Cerinthus. for the kingdom of Christ is now eternal n his saints." (Commentary on the pocalyps

http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/v/victorinus-of-petau.html

Vic held that the revelation applied to both the first century events as a pattern also for the final events of the fall pf rome. This was likely neccesitated or encouraged by his late date perspective of the writing of Revelation, which wasn't held by Clement as known by the lengthy adventures of John after his release. Its quite possible that John was imprisonrd under both emporers which could have led to confusion on the time of its occurance. Vic held that jerusalem was egypt and babylon.

Perhaps more on this topic later.

See also:
Robert Baillie : A Dissuasive From the Errors of the Time (1645) Free Online Books @ PreteristArchive.com, The Internet's Only Balanced Look at Preterism and Preterist Eschatology
Its interesting that he says that the millenialism was picked up again by some of the anabaptists.

I'm in abiding with Vics statement above.

Isaiah 60:22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me you are abiding by the Preterist interpretation of what is said here and not going by what the passage itself says in light of the preached and taught beliefs of all the students of the Apostolic fathers…

"Even though the floods of the nations and the vain superstitions of heretics should revolt against their true faith, they are overcome, and shall be dissolved as the foam, because Christ is the rock by which, and on which, the church is founded. And thus it is overcome by no [16] traces of maddened men. Therefore they are not to be heard who assure themselves that there is to be an earthly reign of a thousand years; who think, that is to say, with the heretic Cerinthus. For the kingdom of Christ is now eternal in his saints." (Commentary on the Apocalypse)

Yes the Kingdom is now eternal within His saints but…not “now” in the temporal world (as we in whom the Kingdom is now are nonetheless commanded to pray “Thy Kingdom come” as if it is not yet, because it is not yet temporally realized)…in the world it is yet to come and will be established at His parousia…His second coming when the scriptures say AntiChrist is consumed (by the brightness of His coming).

Since Anti-Christ is empowered by the beast/the dragon (Satan) obviously he is not bound at this time but everyone else says this occurs just prior to His coming (parousia) thus just prior to the 1,000 year reign implied in the Apocalypse.

When he spoke here of the Doctrine of Cerinthus he was speaking of the Jewish Cerinthians who were pseudo-gnostics, who taught a sensuous interpretation of the 1,000 years of Shalom. This was not the typical Jewish teaching nor the typical interpretation of the 1,000 year reign as taught by the early church fathers. This sensuous view indeed was considered heresy by all.

The Jewish and early church view (taught to them by the Apostles and those the Apostle’s appointed as the Church’s first Bishops) was a 1,000 years of Shalom, ruled by peace and righteousness not the sensuous rabblerousing of the Jewish Cerinthians (which is more like the Islamic view). So he is saying those who preach a 1,000 year reign after the order of the Cerinthians should not be listened to (and I totally agree) but he is not saying there will be no 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth following the parousia (the coming), when it is said even in the scriptures that all nations shall go up to Jerusalem to observe Tabernacles and those that do not will receive no rain.

Now however even this does not imply a dispensationalist premillennial view which is the OP. As for these Preterist interretations they all leave much to be explained (which they consistently fail to make clear). At least the "partial preterists" include the futuristic historical with the fulfilled past applications (this I can respect), but the full preterist view is wanting in every passage they use to support their view. Their explanations always only explain a part of a passage in context.

IMO only the Historic Premillennial and the Ammillenial (if these are but symbol) can explain all the passages with exegetical adequacy, but feel free to disagree, our salvation does not depenf on our view of this...but please explain if you see this as teaching dispensationalism (as we today understand this post-Darby concept) and how this gives us this interpretation (that is the dispensationalist view).

To debate the literal versus symbolic interpretation of the 1,000 year reign is a different OP but a worthy one I would be glad to debate.

Love in Christ

Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0