United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sperm gene discovery may lead to male birth control, scientists say:

A male birth control pill might not be so far-fetched, now that Scottish scientists have uncovered a key gene essential for sperm development.

The gene - called Katnal1 - is critical for sperm production because it enables sperm to mature in the testes. Thus, if scientists can somehow regulate this gene with a pill, sperm production will be stalled.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If an effective male birth control pill comes from this, or other, research I would be very curious to see how it is received and if there will be some male equivalent of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] shaming form conservative christians.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is only the beginning.
Like messing with the hormones of women, messing with this part of the body can have unforeseen side effects.
permanent sterility, lowering testosterone in men, increase risk of cancer, increased estrogen(more female hormone production) and many more.
The proper functioning of these organs, in men and women, plays a large part in the rest of the body. Playing with certain aspects might throw the balance off in areas never thought of.
Like I said, this is a beginning. How ever they use it, will have to be tested to ensure some extreme side effect doesn't occur.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Clinical trials should get rid of any risks, but we never know the long term side effects of any drugs until 15-20 years down the line.

Still, it's a scientific advancement that should indeed be welcomed. It could also lead us to greater understanding of other male health problems, which is always a good thing.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately it wont end judges forcing men who aren't the fathers of cheating spouses children to be financially responsible for them.

Sorry guys.

The pill would stop sperm from forming, not rework human nature nor the judiciary. Grated those would be the kind of side effects I could get behind.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Gee....I wonder if male birth control pills will lead to increased acne, weight gain, depression, loss of libido, nausea, blood clots, cancer, heart attacks and strokes (which are all common side effects of birth control pills in women)?

that can pretty much be a list of side effects of most drugs.... and diarrhea.... you forgot diarrhea... it's important

Upvote 0

Jade Margery

Stranger in a strange land
Oct 29, 2008
✟19,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I still don't think I would trust a guy who said "Don't worry baby, I'm on the pill".

Neither would I, which is why I would be on the pill too. :p

And using a condom. Safer sex ftw!

And Wolseley, while those are possible side effects, the emphasis is on the word possible. Women who experience any of those symptoms should get off the pill immediately, but low-dose hormonal birth control is safely used by hundreds of thousands of women without any problems whatsoever. There are certain factors, such as weight or smoking or unhealthy living, that increase the chances of experiencing these side effects. Doctors know this and take it into account when recommending birth control methods.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2011
✟7,623.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Women who experience any of those symptoms should get off the pill immediately, but low-dose hormonal birth control is safely used by hundreds of thousands of women without any problems whatsoever. There are certain factors, such as weight or smoking or unhealthy living, that increase the chances of experiencing these side effects. Doctors know this and take it into account when recommending birth control methods.
This so much!!

Upvote 0