USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have painted off and on for probably 20 years. However, it was probably more off than on! I started drawing when I was younger, and still enjoy that at times.

Wow, that’s a long time! My siblings were natural artists. I was more musically inclined with a big dose of bookishness and a dash of handyman for good measure.

I didn’t draw but I understood the principles of art. This is probably why I was more interested in Barbie’s wardrobe and the design of her home than the doll itself. My aesthetic sensibilities presented themselves in my youth.

The first drawing that captivated me was the illustration of a Chanel suit in an etiquette book I read as a child. I was mesmerized. By my teens I could conceive designs in my mind but didn’t know how to put them on paper.

I spent many days at the museum studying great works. I soaked them up. I don’t know what I was looking for. But I know it was an important part of my development and sharpened my eye.

My experience with digital mediums began with avatars. The images spoke to me and I understood the mood I wanted them to evoke. My mentor would take my instructions and bring the vision to life. Sometimes I followed its mood and others I crafted a different perspective. In all instances, I allowed the image to speak and listened before changes were made.

This process developed my appreciation for photography. Eventually, I picked up a camera. The art of creation fuels me. The mediums are the avenue for its manifestation. I’m not overtly fond of any form. It depends on the result I’m seeking.

But if I had to choose natural forms would have the nod. They produce a different mood and flow within me than digital methods. Developing my hand is a must. The process is enjoyable. I’m starting from scratch in many ways.

My focus is fashion and interior design. Building the skills will be a lifelong pursuit. I want to leave a physical catalog of my sketches. That’s part of the appeal. There’s a program in classic architecture that’s on my short list of future endeavors. It will enhance my pieces.

I use Illustrator mainly for inspirational or motivational graphics. The sort you’d find on social media. Drawing is a personal pursuit that will be required later on. I’ve been building my knowledge and reached the point where I’m ready to invest in quality pencils, markers and colored pencils. That’s exciting! Its been a wonderful journey thus far. :)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that’s a long time!
Yeah, you would think I would be almost good by now!
My siblings were natural artists. I was more musically inclined with a big dose of bookishness and a dash of handyman for good measure.

Some seem to pick up art quickly. However, even for the very talented it is mostly work and practice. And it really helps if you have someone helping you know what to practice. I pretty much just muddled through it for years. If Youtube were around back in the early days it would have been great.

What kind of music by the way? I played baritone and trombone, but most times now I whistle a lot. Enough to be annoying to people, and be known for it!

In any case, I cycle through hobbies, going with one for a month or so then coming back to it. Hard to make a lot of progress that way, but that is why it is a hobby. It is just something I enjoy doing.

I didn’t draw but I understood the principles of art. This is probably why I was more interested in Barbie’s wardrobe and the design of her home than the doll itself. My aesthetic sensibilities presented themselves in my youth.

That is interesting that some people have an eye for design, or other aspects. My son tends to have an innate spatial understanding that I have none of. And I doubt I matched clothes too well in my youth, so I don't have intuitive design knowledge either. That is part of why most of my painting and drawing were just close ups of particular items. I still struggle with setting up whole scenes, and using notions of composition. That is one reason I have been avoiding Photopaint right now and using my 2ds. It forces me to fill up a whole area, which forces me to do a scene or at least a background for an object.

The first drawing that captivated me was the illustration of a Chanel suit in an etiquette book I read as a child. I was mesmerized. By my teens I could conceive designs in my mind but didn’t know how to put them on paper.
I am impressed you read etiquette books!

My experience with digital mediums began with avatars.

Life forum avatars? Or something else?

The art of creation fuels me. The mediums are the avenue for its manifestation. I’m not overtly fond of any form. It depends on the result I’m seeking.

That is strangely one reason I enjoy whistling so much. I enjoy coming up with harmonies to various music, etc. While listening to various styles of music you can be in that creative space for hours. And my daughter and I will whistle tunes together, each taking different parts.

But if I had to choose natural forms would have the nod. They produce a different mood and flow within me than digital methods. Developing my hand is a must. The process is enjoyable. I’m starting from scratch in many ways.

This part is lost on me. My kids speak about enjoying the traditional mood and such. But for me it just seems messy.

My focus is fashion and interior design. Building the skills will be a lifelong pursuit. I want to leave a physical catalog of my sketches. That’s part of the appeal. There’s a program in classic architecture that’s on my short list of future endeavors. It will enhance my pieces.

Do you want to make it more than a hobby at some point?

I use Illustrator mainly for inspirational or motivational graphics. The sort you’d find on social media. Drawing is a personal pursuit that will be required later on. I’ve been building my knowledge and reached the point where I’m ready to invest in quality pencils, markers and colored pencils. That’s exciting! Its been a wonderful journey thus far. :)

Sounds great. Let me know what art supplies you are considering. I wind up buying a lot of them, just for the family!

My wife has an art degree, and my kids all enjoy using colored pencils, graphite, acrylic, water color, goauche, etc.

And then they also enjoy crochet, quilting, sewing clothes or other items. All of those design things that I don't seem to grasp.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, you would think I would be almost good by now!

The good ones say the same! ~lol

Some seem to pick up art quickly. However, even for the very talented it is mostly work and practice. And it really helps if you have someone helping you know what to practice.

It always comes down to work and practice. Once I understood my purpose I crafted a lifestyle devoted to its mastery. I have digital subscriptions and in-person classes that move me towards that goal.

I appreciate personal instruction. I’ll muddle through a subject to get my bearings but after that I’ll turn to a professional to further my growth. The muddling enables me to discern where to go and diminishes my dependence on others for recommendations.

What kind of music by the way?

I always preferred the piano but also played the flute and clarinet. I plan to resume my piano lessons when I’m done with my design studies. I enjoy the violin too but my penchant for languages takes precedence.

So I’m limiting myself and trading a pleasure for a skill that will benefit my work and mission. That comes first. French and Italian are first since I’ll be in Europe for school. Mandarin will take longer and Hebrew is a matter of practice and reducing my use of transliterated books.

In any case, I cycle through hobbies, going with one for a month or so then coming back to it. Hard to make a lot of progress that way, but that is why it is a hobby. It is just something I enjoy doing.

I have many interests but only pursue the ones I can monetize or make a profit from. This keeps my return on investment relatively high and avoids time wasters. I try to focus on purposeful activities. This helps me to validate how my time is spent and increase my productivity. Even this has its purpose. ;-)

That is interesting that some people have an eye for design, or other aspects. My son tends to have an innate spatial understanding that I have none of.

Sometimes I can see it in my mind or grasp the concept intuitively. I’d be the first to admit I’m operating in spiritual gifting rather than talent. I don’t always know how I know but I do.

I would have never called myself creative. I had great analytical and communication skills. Motivating and inspiring others comes naturally. But even these are His doing. I’m just a servant who longs to do His will. The how is His domain.

I am impressed you read etiquette books!

That was a staple of my upbringing and etiquette programs were popular in my youth. The book I mentioned was part of the Wendy Ward Charm School. I kept it up as an adult and continue to learn.

Life forum avatars? Or something else?

We used them in chat rooms and forums. Much like the one I’m displaying now. My avatars are always a reflection of my person or what I desire to convey. They are never random.

That is strangely one reason I enjoy whistling so much.

I loved to whistle! But I was made to stop because it wasn’t ladylike. I never mastered the two-fingered move. That brought on the prohibition! ~laughs

This part is lost on me. My kids speak about enjoying the traditional mood and such. But for me it just seems messy.

We all had creative pursuits. My parents limited our television consumption. PBS was one of the few stations we could watch without limitations. That’s how I discovered Julia, woodworking, and home improvement. I’m fond of all three today.

Do you want to make it more than a hobby at some point?

It’s my calling. I worked in finance and real estate. This is very different! But I love every minute of it. Starting at zero doesn’t bother me. I draw on the knowledge I gained in the workforce in my current endeavors.

Sounds great. Let me know what art supplies you are considering. I wind up buying a lot of them, just for the family!

I exploit holidays and birthdays for business and creative pursuits. This guarantees the gifts are useful and my growing wish list is addressed.

For graphite and colored pencils I’m purchasing Caran d’Ache. I like Luminance for its vibrancy and lightfastness.

For markers, Winsor & Newton ProMarkers are popular for fashion. I like Copic too and may use them for mixed media projects.

I have a lot of craft items. I enjoy memory keeping and have digital and physical scrapbooking materials and machines. Now I’m sewing and have two machines (electric and mechanical) and a serger. I’m looking to purchase a combo unit next year with an embroidery module.

And I’m taking two sewing classes in 8-week intervals and building sewing furniture in a woodworking class. I need a studio! The cutting cart and sewing desk will provide greater storage and mobility. But I can’t add anything else without turning my home into a craft store! Although I’m smitten with needlepoint but that’s okay. ;-)

I’m not a minimalist but I’m mindful of clutter. My projects are intentional. I’d like to take up quilting and I’m accommodating it with a desk and drop leaf. But my projects will be largely home decor and lap quilts. The latter make nice gifts and are easy to store.

And then they also enjoy crochet, quilting, sewing clothes or other items. All of those design things that I don't seem to grasp.

My long-term goal is to learn couture, tailoring, and pattern-making. Two are part of my studies. Tailoring is precise and more involved but the hand skills are second to none.

Most designers don’t craft their products or draft patterns. Personal fulfillment is part of my desire as is expertise. To be able to turn a sketch into a pattern and a finished garment is my aim. That depth of fulfillment is heaven born. Its Him working through me.

I’ll be able to minister to women through my work. What more could I ask for? :)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The good ones say the same! ~lol

Probably modesty on their part, and accuracy on mine!

It always comes down to work and practice. Once I understood my purpose I crafted a lifestyle devoted to its mastery. I have digital subscriptions and in-person classes that move me towards that goal.
There are a lot of really good digital training programs out there now days.

I appreciate personal instruction. I’ll muddle through a subject to get my bearings but after that I’ll turn to a professional to further my growth. The muddling enables me to discern where to go and diminishes my dependence on others for recommendations.

I have considered signing up for classes with acrylic. If I were going to do traditional media it would probably be with that. May add it to my list of things to do.

I always preferred the piano but also played the flute and clarinet. I plan to resume my piano lessons when I’m done with my design studies. I enjoy the violin too but my penchant for languages takes precedence.

That is a lot to learn! Baritone and trombone overlap. Basically very similar except you use a slide instead of valves. I only learned the trombone because they needed someone for the jazz band in high school! But then it turns out they needed more trombones anyway for marching band, concert band, etc.

So I’m limiting myself and trading a pleasure for a skill that will benefit my work and mission. That comes first. French and Italian are first since I’ll be in Europe for school. Mandarin will take longer and Hebrew is a matter of practice and reducing my use of transliterated books.

Interesting! Is this modern Hebrew or Biblical?

I have many interests but only pursue the ones I can monetize or make a profit from. This keeps my return on investment relatively high and avoids time wasters. I try to focus on purposeful activities. This helps me to validate how my time is spent and increase my productivity. Even this has its purpose. ;-)

It is good to have a purpose with it.

I have never made a full career out of my art, but looking back I did use elements of it quite a bit. We have had art groups at church that were for social and outreach purposes, and are planning to do one soon again. And I have wound up using quite a bit of vector and layout work for websites, promotional materials for evangelistic meetings, logos, etc.

Still, sometimes it is nice to do something that isn't related to productivity.

Sometimes I can see it in my mind or grasp the concept intuitively. I’d be the first to admit I’m operating in spiritual gifting rather than talent. I don’t always know how I know but I do.

That is interesting. I don't have spiritual gifts in that area, but in the ones that I do, I understand what you mean. It happens without the talent because it is a gift.

One of my daughters seems to have that in art. She helps out with a card ministry to encourage people. They send cards to people all over who are struggling, or sick, or in prison. It is a way to pray for them and encourage them. She makes all of her cards from hand, and paints or draws them. She couldn't explain the first bit of technique, but she just starts and it works.

That was a staple of my upbringing and etiquette programs were popular in my youth. The book I mentioned was part of the Wendy Ward Charm School. I kept it up as an adult and continue to learn.

Just looked that up. That was associated with Montgomery Ward?

The advice certainly goes against the grain of much in society today!

We used them in chat rooms and forums. Much like the one I’m displaying now. My avatars are always a reflection of my person or what I desire to convey. They are never random.

Ok, that is what I thought was intended, but was not sure. That is how I originally got into digital programs as well. Although that was back when I was younger, and it was on video game forums. We would put together free signature images for people based on game elements, or just something about their personality. At first I was using more photo manipulation techniques for them, integrating game elements, but then started painting or drawing images as well.

I loved to whistle! But I was made to stop because it wasn’t ladylike. I never mastered the two-fingered move. That brought on the prohibition! ~laughs

I actually never tried that signaling whistling either. I suppose that one does get loud.

I do the usual whistling, and then learned another type that you can do without moving your lips, mainly to annoy teachers in high school.

We all had creative pursuits. My parents limited our television consumption. PBS was one of the few stations we could watch without limitations. That’s how I discovered Julia, woodworking, and home improvement. I’m fond of all three today.

That is what we did with our kids. When I was growing up however, I did not do a lot of creative things. Which looking back is a little odd. My dad did woodworking and making craft items from grapevine, etc. I helped with that a little. My mom did all kinds of sewing and quilting. But mostly we kids played sports, rode bikes, did Boy Scout stuff, or watched tv. Probably would have been better had we done more creative things.

I exploit holidays and birthdays for business and creative pursuits. This guarantees the gifts are useful and my growing wish list is addressed.

For graphite and colored pencils I’m purchasing Caran d’Ache. I like Luminance for its vibrancy and lightfastness.
I hear good things about the brand, but haven't heard as much about their pencils. Their pastels and watercolors I have seen more. It looks like they are a wax base, but not as prone to wax bloom as the Prismacolor. Usually Caran d'Ache is just plain out of my price range!

We enjoyed Prismacolor over the years, but their quality seems to have gone down as of late.

The ones I would really like to try are the Fabercastell Polychromos for colord pencils. They have an oil rather than wax base so you avoid the wax bloom, and they tend to be sturdy. The reviews, other than the white, seem to be really good. Most say the white you should just use a different brand for blending.

We have used some Fabercastell water color pencils that performed well for a good price.

Let me know how the Caran d’Ache turn out on those.

For markers, Winsor & Newton ProMarkers are popular for fashion. I like Copic too and may use them for mixed media projects.

The Windsor and Newton have top notch pigments, but unless it recently changed they do not have refillable markers. That saves some money over time with the Copics, though the Copics are a heavy investment at first. Also, there is one type that has the brush tip with WN, but not all of theirs do.

We have used a bit of Copics, and some of the Fabercastell Pitt pens, which are slightly different. Then we also used some Tombo water soluble.

Most I have heard think the Copics come out on top for alcohol based. However, if you don't mind re-buying the particular markers WN are good.

Compared to the other types of art supplies markers seem like the place you can really spend a lot of money just to get a base collection.

I have a lot of craft items. I enjoy memory keeping and have digital and physical scrapbooking materials and machines. Now I’m sewing and have two machines (electric and mechanical) and a serger. I’m looking to purchase a combo unit next year with an embroidery module.

And I’m taking two sewing classes in 8-week intervals and building sewing furniture in a woodworking class. I need a studio! The cutting cart and sewing desk will provide greater storage and mobility. But I can’t add anything else without turning my home into a craft store! Although I’m smitten with needlepoint but that’s okay. ;-)

I’m not a minimalist but I’m mindful of clutter. My projects are intentional. I’d like to take up quilting and I’m accommodating it with a desk and drop leaf. But my projects will be largely home decor and lap quilts. The latter make nice gifts and are easy to store.

My long-term goal is to learn couture, tailoring, and pattern-making. Two are part of my studies. Tailoring is precise and more involved but the hand skills are second to none.

Most designers don’t craft their products or draft patterns. Personal fulfillment is part of my desire as is expertise. To be able to turn a sketch into a pattern and a finished garment is my aim. That depth of fulfillment is heaven born. Its Him working through me.
That would be fantastic. I wonder how long it would take to turn all of those ideas into reality!

I’ll be able to minister to women through my work. What more could I ask for? :)

That is a great opportunity.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
We enjoyed Prismacolor over the years, but their quality seems to have gone down as of late.

The big issue nowadays with Prismacolor pencils seems to be that they break so easily at their core, and the factory sometimes offsets the core making them even easier to break, so by the time we get them, they are already broken in places inside the core and then create huge issues when sharpening.

So one thing we can do when we get a set of Prismacolors is heat them up by leaving them in a hot car for a couple hours, running a hair dryer over them (and I've even heard of people putting them in the microwave for a small amount of time) to melt the wax just enough so that it "heals" the breakage, and then when it cools, the core will cool without the breakage.

The ones I would really like to try are the Fabercastell Polychromos for colord pencils. They have an oil rather than wax base so you avoid the wax bloom, and they tend to be sturdy. The reviews, other than the white, seem to be really good. Most say the white you should just use a different brand for blending.

Keep in mind that if you do any kind of art journaling, the oil based pencils (or oil based anything) can be a problem in that particular format. Otherwise, I've heard they are great! (Haven't tried them personally though.)

On a whim, I signed up for a watercolor class through my town's community center a few weeks ago that starts in September. I haven't used watercolors much other than to edge some bibles with different colors, so I'm hoping it inspires me to spend more time on it since I have a tendency to gravitate to other mediums that seem less messy. :)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The big issue nowadays with Prismacolor pencils seems to be that they break so easily at their core, and the factory sometimes offsets the core making them even easier to break, so by the time we get them, they are already broken in places inside the core and then create huge issues when sharpening.

Exactly. We dug up some of the old school ones my wife had in her art bin since the 90's for some reason and all of the cores were all dead straight, and didn't break as much.

So one thing we can do when we get a set of Prismacolors is heat them up by leaving them in a hot car for a couple hours, running a hair dryer over them (and I've even heard of people putting them in the microwave for a small amount of time) to melt the wax just enough so that it "heals" the breakage, and then when it cools, the core will cool without the breakage.

Hm, never tried that!

Keep in mind that if you do any kind of art journaling, the oil based pencils (or oil based anything) can be a problem in that particular format. Otherwise, I've heard they are great! (Haven't tried them personally though.)
No danger of it here! But my kids might.

On a whim, I signed up for a watercolor class through my town's community center a few weeks ago that starts in September. I haven't used watercolors much other than to edge some bibles with different colors, so I'm hoping it inspires me to spend more time on it since I have a tendency to gravitate to other mediums that seem less messy. :)

That sounds fun! Watercolor is the one class I have taken from a professional, years ago in college.

It tends to be less messy than the others. It is also super fast to work with. The problem with watercolor, (and the best part of watercolor), is that it is translucent. This allows it to create a very vibrant look, with a lot of subtlety. However, it also means that it is one of the most difficult mediums. There is not much re-working possible. And most things have to be planned out, unless you are going for water effects then work the scene from there.

Since you cannot paint over things easily with the translucent paint you have to work light to dark, and preserve lights, or use watercolor ground, goauche, or a paint pen or marker to cover over things or put on highlights.

Most other paints you can work dark to light, putting highlights over the top. Here you use the paper to create the highlights.

It is a really challenging medium. But if you can get it to work it is quick drying, quick working, and looks great.

With watercolor the paper seems to make more difference than other mediums. With pencil, pen, etc. I can use most papers without issue, cheap, expensive, etc. With watercolor almost everyone I have heard recommend a brand recommends Arches. And I have found it to work very well. There are a few other brands I hear recommended as well. But watercolor is one of the few arts I would not skimp on the paper. Something cotton based is preferred, as it can handle the water washes more easily. The wood based pulp papers I have tried all seem to fail at washes, tinting, dry brushing on top, etc.

Goauche is also something I am considering doing more of. You kind of get the best of both worlds. You can thin it out to get a transparent look, or use it more solidly to still have some of the watercolor feel, but paint on lights over the darks. It is basically opaque watercolors. It also seems to need a bit less water, so cheaper paper works better.

As with digital it lays down pretty hard lines, so it is easier to get crisp looks than with oil, etc.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Probably modesty on their part, and accuracy on mine!

I think its a bit of both! :)

I have considered signing up for classes with acrylic. If I were going to do traditional media it would probably be with that. May add it to my list of things to do.

Give it a try. I bet you’d enjoy it.

That is a lot to learn! Baritone and trombone overlap.

The languages classes are staggered. I’ll need French for school and I’m exposed to Italian through opera. Hebrew will be a little slower but weekly exposure will yield fruit over time. Mandarin takes longer to learn. I’ve left it last on purpose. I’ll be out of school by then.

Interesting! Is this modern Hebrew or Biblical?

The prayer books (siddur) I use are Modern Hebrew as are most classes.

I have never made a full career out of my art, but looking back I did use elements of it quite a bit. We have had art groups at church that were for social and outreach purposes, and are planning to do one soon again. And I have wound up using quite a bit of vector and layout work for websites, promotional materials for evangelistic meetings, logos, etc.

That’s wonderful! I wish the church addressed its creative flock more intentionally. I’m glad you found ways to share your gifts with others.

Still, sometimes it is nice to do something that isn't related to productivity.

My activities are interwoven with my calling. I experience immense joy when doing them. I aim for a flow state. Its incredible and I love the things I come up with. I’ll have time to add things to my plate in a few years.

One of my daughters seems to have that in art. She helps out with a card ministry to encourage people. They send cards to people all over who are struggling, or sick, or in prison. It is a way to pray for them and encourage them. She makes all of her cards from hand, and paints or draws them. She couldn't explain the first bit of technique, but she just starts and it works.

That’s beautiful! God enables us to think outside the box. Most people can’t fathom how fashion is a ministry until they hear the bigger issues behind it and the need for encouragement and grace most are lacking. Beauty is a sensitive issue.

Just looked that up. That was associated with Montgomery Ward?

Yes! They held classes and produced the book.

Ok, that is what I thought was intended, but was not sure. That is how I originally got into digital programs as well. Although that was back when I was younger, and it was on video game forums. We would put together free signature images for people based on game elements, or just something about their personality. At first I was using more photo manipulation techniques for them, integrating game elements, but then started painting or drawing images as well.

I think that was the process for most. My mentor tried to teach me but I liked Photoshop and she didn’t use it. But the experience helped me ease into digital software without feeling overwhelmed.

But mostly we kids played sports, rode bikes, did Boy Scout stuff, or watched tv. Probably would have been better had we done more creative things.

We were outdoors a lot as well. I put my daughter in art, music, and sports programs. She competed in golf and crew for years. She plans to use a similar approach when she marries.

Usually Caran d'Ache is just plain out of my price range! We enjoyed Prismacolor over the years, but their quality seems to have gone down as of late.

I used to dump spare coins into a jar. After a year I had the money for both. ;-)

Yes, I’ve heard similar complaints about them. I haven’t tried the Polychromos. But since longevity is my aim I needed the brand who’d fade the least.

Let me know how the Caran d’Ache turn out on those.

Will do.

The Windsor and Newton have top notch pigments, but unless it recently changed they do not have refillable markers. That saves some money over time with the Copics, though the Copics are a heavy investment at first. Also, there is one type that has the brush tip with WN, but not all of theirs do.

The Pros have the brush tip. I’ve seen comparisons of fashion drawings using both. The croquis isn’t that big. The Winsor’s had more pop. Most are composing their designs digitally. Copic is probably overkill.

Most I have heard think the Copics come out on top for alcohol based. However, if you don't mind re-buying the particular markers WN are good.

I would need those for school but my personal drawings would be done with colored pencils.

That would be fantastic. I wonder how long it would take to turn all of those ideas into reality!

If you worked for a couture house you’d be conversant in garment sewing and couture techniques. The pieces use a combination of machine and hand sewing. Couture items are made to order. Whereas ready to wear uses industry sizing. Someone would draft the pattern that the seamstresses follow to create the pieces.

Most don’t possess tailoring skills. I discovered the merits of them each through a video produced by a designer. One of the employees was trained in both and he said her skills were second to none.

If you can draft patterns you can sell items to the mainstream with less overhead. They’re available in paper and digital formats. This is ideal to target markets not served by popular brands and provide appealing options for home sewers.

Couture is advanced. Few could reproduce the same at home or have access to the fabric designers use. It isn’t sold to the public. But you can make your version that’s equally nice and less expensive!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s beautiful! God enables us to think outside the box. Most people can’t fathom how fashion is a ministry until they hear the bigger issues behind it and the need for encouragement and grace most are lacking. Beauty is a sensitive issue.
I think most things can be a ministry, depending on how you approach it.

My mentor tried to teach me but I liked Photoshop and she didn’t use it. But the experience helped me ease into digital software without feeling overwhelmed.
What kind of mentor did you have?

The Pros have the brush tip. I’ve seen comparisons of fashion drawings using both. The croquis isn’t that big. The Winsor’s had more pop. Most are composing their designs digitally. Copic is probably overkill.

I tend to do marker drawings in one or two colors if I want the hand-drawn look, then vectorize and adjust in color from there. Then it can be manipulated and scaled infinitely.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think most things can be a ministry, depending on how you approach it.

I agree. The wonderful thing about creative pursuits is your ability to minister to others from home. Crafts are nice pursuits for small children. They can make items that bless seniors or others in need. I’ve met many who sew for others.

What kind of mentor did you have?

I would call her a relational mentor. We met long ago and developed a connection. She provided a good ear and sound feedback when I needed it and encouraged me to recognize my beauty in a way I hadn’t thus far.

I was inspired to apply my drive to every facet of my life and never stop growing. She wasn’t overtly instructive. I had the answers within. Once I understood the woman staring back at me and her capacity I was unstoppable.

I undertook a personal development program and began to scale. And I experienced relationships differently. I saw the planes and dove into each. Beautification became my aim and loveliness was its guise. I focused on developing the qualities and skills that enhance my femininity. Now I’m helping others do the same. :)

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My Wacom stylus was the wrong kind to work on a Fire tablet though, so I've had to order one from Amazon (in fact, that exact set that was linked above) so will see how it all goes.

Any feedback yet on how the stylus pack worked?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums