USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
This is something I've always noticed whenever I've watched videos and streams of people making digital art. Their lineart and even their sketches always seem to turn out so smooth, clean, and just right immediately on the first or second try. But even though I use a tablet, no matter how slowly and carefully I draw my lineart and sketches are usually really rough and messy; my lineart usually needs lots of editing to look right. I wonder how some digital artists manage to do so well?

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I can't speak for all digital artists, but when you make videos to post on places like YouTube, you can easily edit out all the mistakes and multiple tries and other various issues, and so your final upload will look like everything went smoothly. Now if they are doing it live, they won't be able to edit, but most people making videos will clean a bunch of things up before posting the final version.

And some people have just practiced a lot and for many years and so they can easily do a bunch of things beginners struggle with.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can make semi-professional sounding music with just some free programs and a mixing software. My dad uses the same mixing software for work but is surprised I can do so much with it. It really comes down to time, practice, and motivation. A lot can be gotten from even a primitive piece of software if you use it enough.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something I've always noticed whenever I've watched videos and streams of people making digital art. Their lineart and even their sketches always seem to turn out so smooth, clean, and just right immediately on the first or second try. But even though I use a tablet, no matter how slowly and carefully I draw my lineart and sketches are usually really rough and messy; my lineart usually needs lots of editing to look right. I wonder how some digital artists manage to do so well?

Good art comes through practice. But some programs also use a line smoothing function that you can enable. This causes jitter, etc. to be removed from the line. You can set levels of it.

The only time I have used such software is in a vector program. But some of the newer raster programs have them as well I think.

For instance, Pro Create, a very popular IOS app has it.

Using your elbow and shoulder to make movements instead of your wrist helps. However, I think you mentioned you have the smaller Wacom, and for that it is not that large to get the shoulder into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whats a good drawing pen/stylus for use with a tablet? Any recommendations? Ta

Multifav was referring to a peripheral that she connects to her computer, a graphics tablet. But if you are using a regular capacitive touch tablet (ipad, kindle fire, android tablet, etc.) then it really depends on what system you have.

Some tablets have an active digitizer built in, and can use an active stylus. These can often sense pressure to make effects with the lines, (make the line wider or narrower as you press down, or make the color shift by pressure). They are precise.

Samsung for instance makes the Samsung Note line, a version of the Galaxy tab A with an S-pen, Galaxy Tab S4, etc. Samsung from what people say integrates their pen technology well, and can be used for art and throughout the programs. Android art programs are affordable, but slightly behind IOS and Windows for features. That is improving quickly.

Other companies such as Lenovo, HP, etc make active stylus tablets in both windows and Android.

For windows tablets the Surface line is one of the more top end active pen systems. Lenovo and others also make options. Windows software is some of the best for digital art as professionals have used it for decades.

For IOS the apple pencil is better than the other stylus options, because Apple gives it access to all the system. Most artists say that the Apple pen is a really good experience.

Wacom, one of the top pen technology companies, also makes a computer monitor that you can draw directly on, the Cintiq, in different sizes and configurations. This is top of the line and many artists use them, but it is very expensive. They also make their own portable tablet with Wacom technology.

If you have a device such as a regular Android tablet, or an older Ipad that does not have active pen technology, then your options fall into three categories:

1. A regular soft, wide stylus that you can get for a few bucks at many outlets. They are ok, but hard to be precise.

2. A disc type stylus. This allows you to have a more precise point, but the point ends in a disc that glides along the surface of the tablet. This can work in that you can make more precise lines, but sometimes they fail to register the touch of the pen, and some can cause scratches. These can be bought for around 12 bucks or so on Amazon.

3. "Active Stylus" for all brands. Now these are called active styli, similar to the ones that have the tech built into the screen, but they are not the same. These can usually be had from 20-50 dollars. They have a finer, harder point, but they use an electrical signal to make the mark on the capacitive touch screen. These can work well, but they have a few limitations. The screen is not built for the pen, so it may sometimes fail to register the stroke. But it usually more reliable than the soft styli or even the disc styli. However, they tend to have issues with diagonal lines. The smaller tip is accomplished by using an electronic charge to simulate a larger area, like a finger. And the pulse tries to put this at the center. But on diagonal lines you can get some jitter. It has trouble interpreting the electrical signal. It doesn't happen every time, and smoothing settings can help.

Another problem with active stylus options of this sort, and all active styli that draw right on the screen, is paralax. Because there is thickness to the glass of the screen there may be a slight amount of variance between where you see the pen contacting and where the system recognizes it . This may cause the pen to be generally accurate, but offset a millimeter or so in one direction.

With the soft, disc, and active stylus that do not have the active screen technology they all can have issues with palm rejection. Palm rejection is when the system knows to register your pen as a mark, but not your hand. This is handy to have because when you are drawing you can rest your hand on the surface without your hand making a mark. There are a few generic active pens that say they provide palm rejection, but it is usually hit and miss, and may depend on specific software or programs. IN other words, plan on either using a drawing glove with it which cancels out the touch, or plan on not touching the screen.

Drawing gloves are usually cheap, but I have only seen them online, not in stores. And if you really just want to draw and don't care how you look you can cut a hole for your thumb in an old sock and use that. It generally works.

Finally there are pen tablets of the sort Multifavs referenced. These are devices that you plug into a computer (I got one to work on an android tablet as well, but it has to have USB GO drivers, and is not guaranteed to work). They sit on the desk and do not work as a monitor. They are a rectangular surface that you draw on. They are very accurate, and can use pressure sensitivity. The nicer ones can use tilt sensitivity which opens up other options for lines. The only draw back to this is that it takes some time to get accustomed to looking at the monitor, but drawing on the desk. You don't get to see the pen tip drawing on the monitor, it is disassociated. But you get used to it quickly. And of course there is no paralax.

Graphics tablets are also available for Mac computers, and Macs have a long history in the art community, so support is good.

There are some hybrid devices by Wacom, and one other company I have seen. These work like a Wacom tablet but you draw on paper. The device takes the pen lines on paper and digitizes it. While these are fairly accurate the tech doesn't seem fully developed yet. Some like them, but most find them frustrating unless your goal is note taking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been a digital artist for 12 years but I don't remember having too much trouble with the lineart/sketches until I began using SAI, especially in the past few years...maybe I'm just more of a perfectionist now, or my hand isn't too steady. :p

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Sometimes specific programs, or even specific pens or pen settings can be part of the problem.

I haven't used that program. But some pens, within some programs, include jitter on purpose. For instance, in Corel Painter, which is meant to emulate traditional media, settings have a slider that you can increase or decrease jitter.

Some pens are made to be smoother within digital programs. If your program has an inking pen for instance, those are usually super smooth.

• Informative
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But even though I use a tablet, no matter how slowly and carefully

Sometimes slowly and carefully do not work. They tend to make your lines less dynamic, and the line can wander. Try building manual dexterity with a regular pen on paper. Work on making long, straight lines from your elbow and your shoulder, but without going slow. Over time this will get easier. Then work on curved lines, or letters.

Next, work on taking a picture and tracing over the top of it, but quickly and dynamically.

Once you have the hang of a regular pen, try this exercise with a brush pen. A number of companies make them, Tombow, Micron, Prismacolor, etc. Even Crayola is making brush lettering pens now (not necessarily the highest quality, but not terrible). It helps you develop control. The pen tip is not a singular point but a brush. You can make wider or narrower lines. And it trains you to make expressive flowing lines, fairly quickly.

Brush pens usually cost about 2-6 dollars in hobby or art stores.

• Useful
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whats a good drawing pen/stylus for use with a tablet? Any recommendations? Ta

If you feel comfortable stating what kind you have we could let you know some more specific options.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Samsung Tab A

Is it the type with the S Pen? if so you are set. But if not, then you are limited to the regular soft wide stylus, disc stylus, or "active" stylus designed to work on all active tablets.

I don't find the disc or regular wide stylus all that effective for painting. I have not tried the active type, and I hear mixed reviews. If you want to use the active type or the disc type I would recommend a screen protector to avoid scratches.

This is an example of a stylus that has both a soft style and a disc style.

https://www.amazon.com/MEKO-Univers...ywords=adonit&qid=1564964383&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Here is an example of the active stylus. This one is available at Walmart for fairly cheap relative to others.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-Active-Stylus-Space-Gold/993651380

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I've had no luck whatsoever with screen protectors, but I do want to try doing digital art on my Kindle Fire tablet and so I'm going to test out using those plastic sheet protectors for putting paper in notebooks will work as a temporary protector that I use only when using the stylus. My Wacom stylus was the wrong kind to work on a Fire tablet though, so I've had to order one from Amazon (in fact, that exact set that was linked above) so will see how it all goes. It seemed to work fairly well using my finger, so I'm hoping the stylus will work even better and similar to using the Wacom. I can still use the Wacom, but have been wanting something more portable than a tablet I need to connect to a computer but without the high cost of a Cintiq.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had no luck whatsoever with screen protectors, but I do want to try doing digital art on my Kindle Fire tablet and so I'm going to test out using those plastic sheet protectors for putting paper in notebooks will work as a temporary protector that I use only when using the stylus. My Wacom stylus was the wrong kind to work on a Fire tablet though, so I've had to order one from Amazon (in fact, that exact set that was linked above) so will see how it all goes. It seemed to work fairly well using my finger, so I'm hoping the stylus will work even better and similar to using the Wacom. I can still use the Wacom, but have been wanting something more portable than a tablet I need to connect to a computer but without the high cost of a Cintiq.

Not sure if the fire table has usb 2 go but have you tried hooking up the Wacom to the tablet?

If you got the disc/soft combo one, it is not terrible. I just find the disc one quite unnatural. The other is alright, but just drags a lot. The fabric soft ones are slightly better than the rubber ones I think. But if you have the Wacom I think you will find the other to be less than satisfying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if the fire table has usb 2 go but have you tried hooking up the Wacom to the tablet?

If you got the disc/soft combo one, it is not terrible. I just find the disc one quite unnatural. The other is alright, but just drags a lot. The fabric soft ones are slightly better than the rubber ones I think. But if you have the Wacom I think you will find the other to be less than satisfying.

Trying to hook up the Wacom will be my next thing to try. As my primary goal is portability at the moment, I'd like to not need to use the Wacom when I'm out and about since it's an extra thing to keep up with and would get awkward when I don't have a decent area to put everything, but it would be great to still be able to use it with the tablet when I want to do so, so I do plan to test it out. I actually tried testing it the other evening, but realized that it plugs into a USB and the Fire only has a mini USB, so I needed to order a converter for it, which actually should be arriving at the same time as the stylus set!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wacom, one of the top pen technology companies, also makes a computer monitor that you can draw directly on, the Cintiq, in different sizes and configurations. This is top of the line and many artists use them, but it is very expensive. They also make their own portable tablet with Wacom technology.

I use a Wacom, iPad and Artograph light pad for pattern tracing. Software wise, I use the Adobe suite. There are specialized programs for fashion and interior design. But I’d still need Photoshop to process photos. Hand sketching still matters for both and I haven’t gone wholly digital.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use a Wacom, iPad and Artograph light pad for pattern tracing.

Which Wacom? I use an old Intuos and an old Graphire. Never tried the Cintique line. Now some of the competing companies are coming out with pretty good options, including competitors for the Cintique, at low price points. I might try one at some point.

How do you like the Apple experience? Are you using the Apple pencil? How do you think it compares to the Wacom?

As for the Artograph, I am not familiar with the brand, but it looks like it is a lightbox. We got a super cheap Crayola LED one and it actually works way beyond our expectations. It is helpful for doing a drawing or sketch and then transferring onto heavier media. My daughter uses Arches watercolor paper quite a bit and (as long as you are not using the blocks obviously), it can shine right through it.

It can also be useful for re-drawing and branching off of an existing drawing.

Software wise, I use the Adobe suite. There are specialized programs for fashion and interior design. But I’d still need Photoshop to process photos. Hand sketching still matters for both and I haven’t gone wholly digital.

Are you using an old version, or do you pay for the cloud? I started out using Corel products before Adobe went to the cloud. I have an old version of Photopaint, Draw, and Painter. I am tempted at times to try Adobe on the cloud as it is industry standard, there are way more tutorials, and it would always be updated. But since I do art for fun, probably wouldn't pay in the long run.

Still, it is much more accessible than the old days when you had to buy Adobe software outright.

Since I am not worried about selling any art I have been using my Nintendo 2ds XL with Colors 3d lately for painting. It can go anywhere, is all in one spot, has limited but very good painting tools, and challenges me to fit everything in a small spot with no cropping or light adjustments.

And you can upload your work to their community website for instant feedback. It records how long each painting took, and shows speedpaints of your work at 3 different speeds. The best part about that is you can watch hundreds of artists and see their technique. Most is anime geared, with a young crowd, but there are also some who lean more towards traditional styles, and even a few who appear to be industry concept or studio artists.

While you are working with a small device it is vector based (though looks more like raster), so you can export at higher resolutions than one would think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Which Wacom? I use an old Intuos and an old Graphire. Never tried the Cintique line.

I have an Intuos. I have no reason to spend more at present.

How do you like the Apple experience? Are you using the Apple pencil? How do you think it compares to the Wacom?

I don’t use it. I’m waiting for Adobe to arrive on iPad. ;-)

As for the Artograph, I am not familiar with the brand, but it looks like it is a lightbox.

It is. They’re useful for tracing sewing and needlepoint patterns.

Are you using an old version, or do you pay for the cloud?

I have a full cloud subscription. I began with the photography package when I started shooting. But I needed access to InDesign and Acrobat and started fiddling with Illustrator. I have a membership to CreativeLive and that keeps me up to speed.

Still, it is much more accessible than the old days when you had to buy Adobe software outright.

True and I like the timely updates.

How long have you been painting? Do you prefer digital over canvas?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an Intuos. I have no reason to spend more at present.

I don’t use it. I’m waiting for Adobe to arrive on iPad. ;-)

It is. They’re useful for tracing sewing and needlepoint patterns.

I have a full cloud subscription. I began with the photography package when I started shooting. But I needed access to InDesign and Acrobat and started fiddling with Illustrator. I have a membership to CreativeLive and that keeps me up to speed.

True and I like the timely updates.

How long have you been painting? Do you prefer digital over canvas?

I have painted off and on for probably 20 years. However, it was probably more off than on! I started drawing when I was younger, and still enjoy that at times.

Other than one watercolor course I have never taken any formal art classes. So it is just trial and error.

I do prefer digital. My wife and kids all prefer traditional, acrylic, watercolor, etc. and we debate the merits of each. I like the speed, the ability to edit, the ease of layers, the variety of effects. Also, if you already have a device (computer, tablet, etc.) that you are using for other things then it is relatively cheap to do, compared to buying traditional mediums. And there is no clean-up!

You can take it with you easily on a phone or tablet to show people, and if you like the outcome you can obtain a physical print on paper, canvas, metal, or whatever you like.

And for those who do art professionally in most fields it is so much more flexible when working with a client. You can email previews, make changes, etc.

Now there are still those artists in demand for their original art pieces in traditional medium, and it is great if you can do it.

I suppose one of the drawbacks is eye strain.

What kind of art do you do? And have you done much with Illustrator? I think of all the various cloud offerings that is the one I would like to try.

Upvote 0