Did Yahshua and his Disciples Abstain from Meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was a Pesakh SEUDAH HaMAFSEKHET

Why do these texts say this?

Matthew 26:17[ The Passover Meal ] On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the followers came to Jesus. They said, “We will prepare everything for you to eat the Passover meal. Where do you want us to have the meal?”

Matthew 26:18Jesus answered, “Go into the city. Go to a man I know. Tell him that the Teacher says, ‘The chosen time is near. I will have the Passover meal with my followers at your house.’”

Matthew 26:19They obeyed and did what Jesus told them to do. They prepared the Passover meal.

Mark 14:12[ The Passover Meal ] It was now the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread—the day the lambs were killed for the Passover. Jesus’ followers came to him and said, “We will go and prepare everything for you to eat the Passover meal. Where do you want us to have the meal?”

Mark 14:14He will go into a house. Tell the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks that you show us the room where he and his followers can eat the Passover meal.’

Mark 14:16So the followers left and went into the city. Everything happened the way Jesus said. So the followers prepared the Passover meal.

Luke 22:7[ The Passover Meal ] The Day of Unleavened Bread came. This was the day when the Jews always killed the lambs for the Passover.

Luke 22:8Jesus said to Peter and John, “Go and prepare the Passover meal for us to eat.”

Luke 22:11Tell the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks that you please show us the room where he and his followers can eat the Passover meal.’

Luke 22:13So Peter and John left. Everything happened the way Jesus said. So they prepared the Passover meal.

Luke 22:14[ The Lord’s Supper ] The time came for them to eat the Passover meal. Jesus and the apostles were together at the table.

Luke 22:15Jesus said to them, “I wanted very much to eat this Passover meal with you before I die.

Luke 22:16I will never eat another Passover meal until it is given its full meaning in God’s kingdom.”

John 18:28[ Jesus Is Brought Before Pilate ] Then the guards took Jesus from Caiaphas’ house to the Roman governor’s palace. It was early in the morning. The Jews there would not go inside the palace. They did not want to make themselves unclean, because they wanted to eat the Passover meal.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do you not accept the words of the Gospel of John nor the Torah?

(CLV) Jn 18:28
They are, then, leading Yahshua from Caiaphas into the pretorium. Now it was morning, and they did not enter into the pretorium lest they may be defiled, but may be eating the passover.

(CLV) Jn 19:14
Now it was the preparation of the Passover (It's still the 14th of Abib. Pesach, the First day of Unleavened Bread, begins at sundown, the 15th of Abib.); the hour was about the third. And he is saying to the Jews, "Lo! your king!"

(CLV) Jn 19:15
Yet they clamor then, "Away! Away! Crucify him!" Pilate is saying to them, "Shall I crucify your king?" The chief priests answered, "Not king have we except Caesar!"

You added a bunch of text there. The feast of unleavened bread lasts a full week and is preceded by the Passover. Every day meal had to be prepared and some of those days, fell on what were called "high" Sabbaths. Those which coincided with feast days.

Luke 22:17 Then came the Day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover must be killed.

So Luke and Mark and John all say that the day they assembled and ate the Passover meal was the "Day of the Unleavened Bread." How could he be killed before this day if it was on this day that they had the last supper?

Mark agrees with Luke that it isn't before the feast that Jesus is crucified because he's still alive on the first day of Unleavened Bread (which lasts 7 days)

Mark 14
12 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover lamb, His disciples said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare, that You may eat the Passover?”

You started this thread and claimed you weren't here to start an argument but wanted to know if Jesus and his disciples were vegetarian. They weren't, as the scripture itself plainly states. That matter is settled with notable silence by you on this point. It looks as if you are not satisfied with scripture and want to argue exactly as you said you weren't going to do. Odd. And now you're trying to "prove" that scripture is contradicting itself. Do you actually believe the bible? It appears that you do not.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Except He died as the lambs were dying so did they sacrifice a lamb the day before special just for them?

Since the Jews days started at night, Christ could have eaten the Passover lamb at the beginning of Passover where others ate it later in the day. I don't see any requirement that it had to be eaten at a certain time of that certain day.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Supposed to be so, but historians and theologians have noted that there is no mention of there being a lamb in the case of the Last Supper.

Mar_14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

The passover that was killed is a lamb. It cannot be any other animal. They killed the lamb, prepared and and cooked it so they could eat it as the verse says.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Why do these texts say this?

Matthew 26:17[ The Passover Meal ] On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the followers came to Jesus. They said, “We will prepare everything for you to eat the Passover meal. Where do you want us to have the meal?”

Matthew 26:18Jesus answered, “Go into the city. Go to a man I know. Tell him that the Teacher says, ‘The chosen time is near. I will have the Passover meal with my followers at your house.’”

Matthew 26:19They obeyed and did what Jesus told them to do. They prepared the Passover meal.

Mark 14:12[ The Passover Meal ] It was now the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread—the day the lambs were killed for the Passover. Jesus’ followers came to him and said, “We will go and prepare everything for you to eat the Passover meal. Where do you want us to have the meal?”

Mark 14:14He will go into a house. Tell the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks that you show us the room where he and his followers can eat the Passover meal.’

Mark 14:16So the followers left and went into the city. Everything happened the way Jesus said. So the followers prepared the Passover meal.

Luke 22:7[ The Passover Meal ] The Day of Unleavened Bread came. This was the day when the Jews always killed the lambs for the Passover.

Luke 22:8Jesus said to Peter and John, “Go and prepare the Passover meal for us to eat.”

Luke 22:11Tell the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks that you please show us the room where he and his followers can eat the Passover meal.’

Luke 22:13So Peter and John left. Everything happened the way Jesus said. So they prepared the Passover meal.

Luke 22:14[ The Lord’s Supper ] The time came for them to eat the Passover meal. Jesus and the apostles were together at the table.

Luke 22:15Jesus said to them, “I wanted very much to eat this Passover meal with you before I die.

Luke 22:16I will never eat another Passover meal until it is given its full meaning in God’s kingdom.”

John 18:28[ Jesus Is Brought Before Pilate ] Then the guards took Jesus from Caiaphas’ house to the Roman governor’s palace. It was early in the morning. The Jews there would not go inside the palace. They did not want to make themselves unclean, because they wanted to eat the Passover meal.

Think about it and read John's account...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Since the Jews days started at night, Christ could have eaten the Passover lamb at the beginning of Passover where others ate it later in the day. I don't see any requirement that it had to be eaten at a certain time of that certain day.

Actually there is. Also you can't eat a lamb unless it is killed...you do know 1000s of lambs were killed in the Temple on the 14th and then eaten that evening...Yeshua was in the tomb by then

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it was a passover meal, but not on the day of passover as you point out.
It is thought by many historians, etc. that it wasn't a Passover meal, either. As I review the verses you presented to us, nothing indicates that it was.

Yes, they all knew that Passover was impending. Jesus told his Apostles to prepare the Passover meal...and they went about making those preparations. But when the time came around and they were all at the table, WAS what transpired then a Passover meal? Nothing clearly indicates that it was.

Matthew 26:2“You know that the day after tomorrow is Passover. On that day the Son of Man will be handed over to his enemies to be killed on a cross.”

Matthew 26:5They said, “We cannot arrest Jesus during Passover. We don’t want the people to become angry and cause a riot.”

I did not see that before. thanks for the memo friend.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mar_14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

The passover that was killed is a lamb. It cannot be any other animal. They killed the lamb, prepared and and cooked it so they could eat it as the verse says.

The lambs were killed in the Temple on the 14th...the 1st of unleavened is on the 15th. He either was not killed when the lambs were killed and ate the Passover or he did not eat the Passover and was killed when the lambs were...can't be both

• Agree
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Again, what was planned or expected does not tell us what the meal was when it actually occurred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Actually there is. Also you can't eat a lamb unless it is killed...you do know 1000s of lambs were killed in the Temple on the 14th and then eaten that evening...Yeshua was in the tomb by then

The lambs were killed in the Temple on the 14th...the 1st of unleavened is on the 15th. He either was not killed when the lambs were killed and ate the Passover or he did not eat the Passover and was killed when the lambs were...can't be both

Scripture affirms the Passover lamb was killed and eaten by Christ and the disciples on the first day of unleavened bread.

Mat_26:17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Luk_22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.

Later on this same day he was on the cross. Other people killing lambs this same timeframe doesn't affect when Christ ate the Passover or and when he died.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Again, what was planned or expected does not tell us what the meal was when it actually occurred.

The meal was the Passover that was killed. That means it was a lamb. No other animal was eaten for that meal.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The meal was the Passover that was killed.
Did you read any of the explanation in the above posts? There is no indication in Scripture that the meal was actually a Passover meal, even though we read that one was planned. And there are several hints that it was not one.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Scripture affirms the Passover lamb was killed and eaten by Christ and the disciples on the first day of unleavened bread.

Mat_26:17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

Luk_22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.

Later on this same day he was on the cross. Other people killing lambs this same timeframe doesn't affect when Christ ate the Passover or and when he died.

That was a Sabbath, He was not on the cross. The Passover is not killed on the 15th. He either was not killed when the lambs were killed and ate the Passover or he did not eat the Passover and was killed when the lambs were...can't be both. Other people...you mean ALL Jews? Read John and maybe you might understand...

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Did you read any of the explanation in the above posts? There is no indication in Scripture that the meal was actually a Passover meal, even though we read that one was planned. And there are several hints that it was not one.

What the scriptures say are clear enough for me to know it was a Passover meal and a lamb they killed and did eat. They didn't plan a Passover meal and then not have it.

Luk 22:9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
Luk 22:10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
Luk 22:11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
Luk 22:12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
Luk 22:13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
Luk 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

It was made ready and Christ ate it and said he would not eat the Passover any more until it was fulfilled.

It's an open and shut case for me based on the scriptures addressing this meal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That was a Sabbath, He was not on the cross. The Passover is not killed on the 15th.

The scriptures say they killed it on the first day of unleavened bread. Are these verses wrong?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What the scriptures say are clear enough for me to know it was a Passover meal and a lamb they killed and did eat.

Well, no verses say that. The ones you have posted certainly do not.

They didn't plan a Passover meal and then not have it.
Why would that be beyond the realm of possibility? I can think of several reasons offhand why what Jesus told his Apostles to get ready for was not what he actually intended.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, no verses say that. The ones you have posted certainly do not.

Yes verses have been posted that say that.

Why would that be beyond the realm of possibility?

Because it goes against what the scriptures say took place. It happened and it cannot be changed so that it did not happen.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes verses have been posted that say that.
Look again. All of them say that Passover was coming. Or that Jesus told his Apostles to prepare a Passover meal. Or what has to be done in order to have a proper Passover meal. Or that it was time for the Jews to celebrate the Passover.

None say that an actual Passover meal was celebrated by Christ with his Apostles.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
None say that an actual Passover meal was celebrated by Christ with his Apostles.

People will either accept what is written or they won't:

Luk 22:9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?
Luk 22:10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
Luk 22:11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
Luk 22:12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
Luk 22:13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
Luk 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him.
Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:
Luk 22:16 For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.