Did Yahshua and his Disciples Abstain from Meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Genesis 9:3 was God's ordinance for Noah. It allowed for eating all animals as food. Prohibition of unclean animals did not come along until the law of Moses.

If you pay close attention to the text there were indeed unclean animals before the flood. That changed after the flood. Noah brought unclean animals into the ark. After the flood they were purified and good for food, until the law of Moses brought back unclean animal.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
CLV) Jer 7:22
For in the day I brought them forth from the land of Egypt I did not speak to your fathers and did not instruct them concerning matters of ascent offerings and sacrifices;

Context is King.

Jeremiah 7:
English Standard Version
j“Stand in the gate of the Lord’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the Lord, all you men of Judah who enter these gates to worship the Lord. kAmend your ways and your deeds, and I will let you dwell in this place. lDo not trust in these deceptive words: ‘This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord.’

mamend your ways and your deeds, if you truly nexecute justice one with another, ndo not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, mor shed innocent blood in this place, oand if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, pthen I will let you dwell in this place, qin the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.

rWill you steal, murder, commit adultery, sswear falsely, tmake offerings to Baal, oand go after other gods that you have not known, uwhich is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations? vHas this house, uwhich is called by my name, wbecome a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I myself have seen it, declares the Lord. xmy place that was in Shiloh, ywhere I made my name dwell at first, and zsee what I did to it because of the evil of my people Israel. awhen I spoke to you persistently you did not listen, and bwhen I called you, you did not answer, cthe house uthat is called by my name, and in which you trust, and to the place that I gave to you and to your fathers, zas I did to Shiloh. cAnd I will cast you out of my sight, das I cast out all your kinsmen, all the offspring of eEphraim.

fdo not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you. gand the women knead dough, to hmake cakes for ithe queen of heaven. And jthey pour out drink offerings to other gods, kto provoke me to anger. lIs it I whom they provoke? declares the Lord. Is it not themselves, mto their own shame? nmy anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place, upon man and beast, upon the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground; oit will burn and not be quenched.”

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
who made the video?

That's irrelevant. like I said in the OP, that video contains flaws. There are plenty more, that are similar to it ,which do not. I picked that one because it is short; but it covers lots of points that I wanted on the table.

• Haha
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They ate the Passover lamb.
Where can you find an account, specifically, which states that Yahshua or the 12 Apostles, ate Passover lamb? I haven't found one; and I've been looking for over a month.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Where can you find an account, specifically, which states that Yahshua or the 12 Apostles, ate Passover lamb? I haven't found one; and I've been looking for over a month.

That's because on the Melchizedek typology of the bloodless sacrifice, that foreshadows the NT Gospel and Church. That still doesn't mean that Jesus was a vegetarian and that the Bible passages regarding him and the disciples eating fish are lies.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, one of the biggies, is from Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History 2.23:

4. James, the brother of the Lord, succeeded to the government of the Church in conjunction with the apostles. He has been called the Just by all from the time of our Saviour to the present day; for there were many that bore the name of James.

He didn't just succeed. In Acts 15 we read that he was the bishop of the church at Jerusalem.

5. He was holy from his mother's womb; and he drank no wine nor strong drink, nor did he eat flesh. No razor came upon his head; he did not anoint himself with oil, and he did not use the bath.

This cannot be found in scripture. Jesus was not a Nazarite (See Samuel) he was a Nazarine. He was also quite famously baptized so he obviously did not have an issue getting in the water.

6. He alone was permitted to enter into the holy place; for he wore not woolen but linen garments. And he was in the habit of entering alone into the temple, and was frequently found upon his knees begging forgiveness for the people, so that his knees became hard like those of a camel, in consequence of his constantly bending them in his worship of God, and asking forgiveness for the people.

Never happened. Neither James nor Jesus was a Levite. Either would have been stoned to death had they tried to enter the holy of holies.
Now it would stand to reason; that if James, brother of Yahshua was raised vegetarian; that his parents were vegetarian; and they would have raised Yahshua the same way.

Except they weren't. They participated in all the Jewish feasts which involved the sacrifice of animals and eating of those same animals.

If you look at the title of this thread; there is a question mark at the end. I'm asking a question, not making a proclamation.

Right but the scripture is more than sufficient to answer this question. Fish is meat and so is Lamb. Jesus ate the lamb of the Passover just prior to his crucifixion.

Mark 14
12 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover lamb, His disciples said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare, that You may eat the Passover?”

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

Just posted the scripture to you in another post.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Context is King.

Jeremiah 7:
English Standard Version
j“Stand in the gate of the Lord’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the Lord, all you men of Judah who enter these gates to worship the Lord. kAmend your ways and your deeds, and I will let you dwell in this place. lDo not trust in these deceptive words: ‘This is the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord, the temple of the Lord.’

mamend your ways and your deeds, if you truly nexecute justice one with another, ndo not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, mor shed innocent blood in this place, oand if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, pthen I will let you dwell in this place, qin the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.

rWill you steal, murder, commit adultery, sswear falsely, tmake offerings to Baal, oand go after other gods that you have not known, uwhich is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations? vHas this house, uwhich is called by my name, wbecome a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I myself have seen it, declares the Lord. xmy place that was in Shiloh, ywhere I made my name dwell at first, and zsee what I did to it because of the evil of my people Israel. awhen I spoke to you persistently you did not listen, and bwhen I called you, you did not answer, cthe house uthat is called by my name, and in which you trust, and to the place that I gave to you and to your fathers, zas I did to Shiloh. cAnd I will cast you out of my sight, das I cast out all your kinsmen, all the offspring of eEphraim.

fdo not pray for this people, or lift up a cry or prayer for them, and do not intercede with me, for I will not hear you. gand the women knead dough, to hmake cakes for ithe queen of heaven. And jthey pour out drink offerings to other gods, kto provoke me to anger. lIs it I whom they provoke? declares the Lord. Is it not themselves, mto their own shame? nmy anger and my wrath will be poured out on this place, upon man and beast, upon the trees of the field and the fruit of the ground; oit will burn and not be quenched.”

Indeed!

Jeremiah 7 King James Version (KJV)
7 The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying,

2 Stand in the gate of the Lord's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the Lord, all ye of Judah, that enter in at these gates to worship the Lord.

3 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place.

4 Trust ye not in lying words, saying, The temple of the Lord, The temple of the Lord, The temple of the Lord, are these.

5 For if ye throughly amend your ways and your doings; if ye throughly execute judgment between a man and his neighbour;

6 If ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt:

7 Then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, for ever and ever.

8 Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit.

9 Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye know not;

10 And come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, We are delivered to do all these abominations?

11 Is this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, even I have seen it, saith the Lord.

12 But go ye now unto my place which was in Shiloh, where I set my name at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people Israel.

13 And now, because ye have done all these works, saith the Lord, and I spake unto you, rising up early and speaking, but ye heard not; and I called you, but ye answered not;

14 Therefore will I do unto this house, which is called by my name, wherein ye trust, and unto the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh.

15 And I will cast you out of my sight, as I have cast out all your brethren, even the whole seed of Ephraim.

16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?

18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the Lord: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?

20 Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, mine anger and my fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the ground; and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched.

21 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Put your burnt offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat flesh.

22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

25 Since the day that your fathers came forth out of the land of Egypt unto this day I have even sent unto you all my servants the prophets, daily rising up early and sending them:

26 Yet they hearkened not unto me, nor inclined their ear, but hardened their neck: they did worse than their fathers.

27 Therefore thou shalt speak all these words unto them; but they will not hearken to thee: thou shalt also call unto them; but they will not answer thee.

28 But thou shalt say unto them, This is a nation that obeyeth not the voice of the Lord their God, nor receiveth correction: truth is perished, and is cut off from their mouth.

29 Cut off thine hair, O Jerusalem, and cast it away, and take up a lamentation on high places; for the Lord hath rejected and forsaken the generation of his wrath.

30 For the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the Lord: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it.

31 And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart.

32 Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that it shall no more be called Tophet, nor the valley of the son of Hinnom, but the valley of slaughter: for they shall bury in Tophet, till there be no place.

33 And the carcases of this people shall be meat for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth; and none shall fray them away.

34 Then will I cause to cease from the cities of Judah, and from the streets of Jerusalem, the voice of mirth, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride: for the land shall be desolate.

===============================

13 And the Jews' passover (I find it very interesting that there are reports of the Qumran calendar placing Passover on the day before the Jewish Passover.)was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; (Why did he drive out the animals first?) and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Neither James nor Jesus was a Levite.

Of course they were. The Zadokites were of the tribe of Levi. John the Baptist's father was a Zadok priest. I suspect that he passed the Priesthood to John, who in turn passed it to Yahshua of the order of Melchi Zadok.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I agree with all the above but that still doesn't lead to the point you were making. You were quoting a passage that suggested that God never instituted animal sacrifice in the first place! And well that it basically implies that Yahweh is essentially the Gnostic Demiurge. Which does not surprise me, seeing how you are using the Gospel of the Ebionites as a source!

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Just posted the scripture to you in another post.

The responses are piling high. I'll try to respond to everyone; but it might take some time. I'm already feeling rushed; and I don't want to make mistakes.

Thank you.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Of course they were. The Zadokites were of the tribe of Levi. John the Baptist's father was a Zadok priest. I suspect that he passed the Priesthood to John, who in turn passed it to Yahshua of the order of Melchi Zadok.

Jesus, as explained in Luke and Mark, was a Benjamite through both Joseph and Mary, not a Levite. John the Baptist was a Levite because his father was a Levite. John the baptist was not Jesus' brother, he was his cousin.

Why on earth would you claim that Jesus was a Levite when Paul in Hebrews explains the significance of his not being a Levite. That's what prevented him from being a priest while on earth. The law would have forbidden it.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
The responses are piling high. I'll try to respond to everyone; but it might take some time. I'm already feeling rushed; and I don't want to make mistakes.

Thank you.

You're already making quite a few. Jesus was not a Levite and only the high priest can enter the Holy of Holy's.

Let me post this again since the first time you read my post you totally missed this.

Mark 14
12 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover lamb, His disciples said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare, that You may eat the Passover?

• Winner
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus supplied fish for the resurrection meal.

He clearly drank wine.

The broiled fish: Yes, I'm aware of that verse; but if you look at the accounts of the four Gospels and who saw Yahshua, where and when, this account seems out of place. I'm not saying that it's a forgery; but it doesn't seem to match the other accounts. Do fish count as reptiles?

The wine: I thought about that too. Does new wine, or grape juice, technically count as wine? Now it was Passover, long after grape season; so I don't know how this could have been new wine. This doesn't seem to fit with Eusebius' accounts.

Good points. These are the type of issues that prompted me to get others involved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
The broiled fish: Yes, I'm aware of that verse; but if you look at the accounts of the four Gospels and who saw Yahshua, where and when, this account seems out of place. I'm not saying that it's a forgery; but it doesn't seem to match the other accounts. Do fish count as reptiles?

The wine: I thought about that too. Does new wine, or grape juice, technically count as wine? Now it was Passover, long after grape season; so I don't know how this could have been new wine. This doesn't seem to fit with Eusebius' accounts.

Good points. These are the type of issues that prompted me to get others involved.

New wine gets you just as drunk as old wine.

• Winner
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Lamb is part of the Last Supper meal. right?

I'm not sure if the last supper was a Passover Seder. How could it be, if Yahshua said that he wished that he could have the Passover meal with his disciples; then he was executed, the next day, not on Passover, but on preparation day, the day before Passover. That's two days off. Even if we go by the Qumran calendar; it's still a day off.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.