Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the right question for the OP is not whether the child Jesus had superpowers, but whether the child Jesus was the Logos incarnate. Perhaps I'm being pedantic in making the distinction, but I want to avoid the impression that Jesus was superman, a human with divine powers. His humanity was normal, no extra powers. It was the hypostatic union with God that allowed him to act as God. Once the question is asked like that the answer is obvious: yes, he was God incarnate from the beginning.

But as someone else pointed out, that doesn't mean that as infant there would have been any reason to do miracles.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well to put it simply we just don’t know. The New Testament tells us that he didn’t start publically preforming major miracles up until he started his ministry, well the New Testament doesn’t mention his time growing up, so we only know the history from his divine virgin birth to when he started his ministry and started preaching the Gospel, we don’t know about most of his life in between these two events. He might have done and preformed minor miracles as a child, but again there’s no way to be sure 100%. The only works that describe Christ’s life and miracles as a child are apocryphal heretical works like the Infancy Gospel of Thomas and Syriac Infancy Gospel. Could Christ have preformed miracles as a child yes, he could choose and do anything he wanted anytime he wanted being God in the flesh, Christ never gave up being God or lost any of his attributes for even a moment, what he did do however is not excercise any of his divine attributes here on Earth except when he saw fit to do so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Did Jesus have "divine/supernatural" abilities or was able to perform miracles or do other "supernatural" acts such as walk on water or turn water into whine or change the weather or heal people, etc BEFORE starting His ministry?

If not, why did He only gain these "divine/supernatural" abilities later in life? Why didn't He have them when He was younger? Did He have to be a certain age to be able to gain these "divine/supernatural" powers or were there criteria/conditions He had to meet before gaining these powers?

Thanks for your time!

Even as an infant cradled in Mary's arms He was the very eternal and Almighty God. But according to the Gospel of John His first miracle was the turning of water into wine at the wedding in Cana.

The Mystery of the Incarnation is that God who knows all things still "grew in wisdom and knowledge before God and man". That God who could not suffer, did suffer for us; who could not die, died on the cross for us.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Stephen P

Jun 5, 2020
SYDNEY
✟18,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Since Jesus was born 100% man and 100% God he would have the powers of God because he is God.
Jesus did the miracles because of His faith.
When Jesus is talking about powers when He is walking on water, and good ol Pete ALSO walks on water, then fears the wind and nearly takes a dive, Jesus says.
Mat 14 31:“You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
am I right in that Powers of God are Faith based, and that's why Jesus say you can move mountains of you want to.

Matthew 17:20, Jesus said, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

[edit]
A child is considered innocent. This fulfills that Jesus as a child had no sin, because Jesus was considerd as being totally sinless.
"Through Baptism the Holy Spirit works rebirth (Titus 3:4–7), creates faith in them, and saves them (1 Peter 3:21). Although some deny the possibility of infant faith, the Bible clearly teaches that babies can believe (Mark 9:42, Luke 18:1517)." Infant baptism - Wikipedia

Would a Child have enough Faith to move mountains?
Faith is based on knowledge, and Jesus definitely had knowledge as a kid at the temple. Luke 2:39-52
Imaging Playing hide and Seek with a Child that could innocently move mountains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
When Jesus is talking about powers when He is walking on water, and good ol Pete ALSO walks on water, then fears the wind and nearly takes a dive, Jesus says.
Mat 14 31:“You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
am I right in that Powers of God are Faith based, and that's why Jesus say you can move mountains of you want to.

Matthew 17:20, Jesus said, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

[edit]
A child is considered innocent. This fulfills that Jesus as a child had no sin, because Jesus was considerd as being totally sinless.
"Through Baptism the Holy Spirit works rebirth (Titus 3:4–7), creates faith in them, and saves them (1 Peter 3:21). Although some deny the possibility of infant faith, the Bible clearly teaches that babies can believe (Mark 9:42, Luke 18:1517)." Infant baptism - Wikipedia

Would a Child have enough Faith to move mountains?
Faith is based on knowledge, and Jesus definitely had knowledge as a kid at the temple. Luke 2:39-52
Imaging Playing hide and Seek with a Child that could innocently move mountains.
All children have enough faith to move mountains... which is probably not a good thing. Power needs to be tempered with Wisdom... and we know that Jesus had that from 12 years onwards.

Reactions: Stephen P
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Did Jesus have "divine/supernatural" abilities or was able to perform miracles or do other "supernatural" acts such as walk on water or turn water into whine or change the weather or heal people, etc BEFORE starting His ministry?

If not, why did He only gain these "divine/supernatural" abilities later in life? Why didn't He have them when He was younger? Did He have to be a certain age to be able to gain these "divine/supernatural" powers or were there criteria/conditions He had to meet before gaining these powers?

Thanks for your time!

As others have stated ... the bible does not disclose information about Jesus' adolescent years.

We do know He never sinned. Imagine raising a child like that? Can we even comprehend that?

John 5:19

So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.

Directed always by the Father .... throughout His entire life ... whether His life in divine or His life in human form (and regardless of age).

The miracle of the incarnation is that this one person (Jesus) became everything we are without ceasing to be everything He is.

Amazing!

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Jesus had a very special relationship with God, he was connected to him since birth, to say he had super natural powers would be wrong.

The correct viewpoint i believe would be more along the lines of, Jesus and God were one, communicating all the time, since birth. He knew God inside out. There was no seperation like we have. It wasnt just language but emotions as well.. he felt what God felt.

And when He had looked around at them with anger, being grieved by the hardness of their hearts, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.

For example his grieving was not just his own but come from the father as well, the father grieved at their hardened hearts, and he could feel that grief.

Jesus didnt have supernatural powers in the sense that he could just heal whoever he wanted to, it was God who did the healing through him.

Upvote 0

Stephen P

Jun 5, 2020
SYDNEY
✟18,396.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works.

Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.

Jesus had a very special relationship with God, he was connected to him since birth, to say he had super natural powers would be wrong.

The correct viewpoint i believe would be more along the lines of, Jesus and God were one, communicating all the time, since birth. He knew God inside out. There was no seperation like we have. It wasnt just language but emotions as well.. he felt what God felt.

And when He had looked around at them with anger, being grieved by the hardness of their hearts, He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he stretched it out, and his hand was restored as whole as the other.

For example his grieving was not just his own but come from the father as well, the father grieved at their hardened hearts, and he could feel that grief.

Jesus didnt have supernatural powers in the sense that he could just heal whoever he wanted to, it was God who did the healing through him.

Thank you for that.

"The correct viewpoint I believe would be more along the lines of, Jesus and God were one, communicating all the time, since birth."
I'm still asking for opinion of this thought on human souls (coming from Dr Gerald Shroeder, Adam; the first person with a human soul/Neshamah
)
If Adam was given THE ADAM (ie the Spirit become a Human Soul)
Then Jesus had The Spirit of God, The Holy Spirit that conceived Jesus in Mary which, like you said was direct to God.
s.

• Winner
Reactions: Chris35
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
Jesus was rather independent as a 12 year old. He had to grow up before he assumed a more important position.

Luke 2 (World English Bible)

41 His parents went every year to Jerusalem at the feast of the Passover.
42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast, 43 and when they had fulfilled the days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. Joseph and his mother didn’t know it, 44 but supposing him to be in the company, they went a day’s journey, and they looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances. 45 When they didn’t find him, they returned to Jerusalem, looking for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the middle of the teachers, both listening to them, and asking them questions. 47 All who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When they saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us this way? Behold, your father and I were anxiously looking for you.”

49 He said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?” 50 They didn’t understand the saying which he spoke to them. 51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth. He was subject to them, and his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
Any answer other than "I don't know" is pure speculation.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,188.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thanks for your time!

Looks like many don't have a clear idea what is going on.

If you read the miracle of wine at Cana (Christ's first miracle). Jesus said (kinda complained) "it isn't time yet" and yet Mary insisted on Jesus performing the Miracle.

Mary already knew Jesus is capable of performing miracles even before the miracle at Cana.

It would seem that Jesus may have already performed miracles even before Cana, but most probably in private (within his immediate family only) and avoided public displays of miracles (because it isn't time yet, until Cana)

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,254.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still asking for opinion of this thought on human souls (coming from Dr Gerald Shroeder, Adam; the first person with a human soul

Not exactly sure what your asking, so ill answer best i can..

It's all theory, never be able to prove any of it fully. We can see in the bible that the body is a vessel for spirits. If it werent so, there wouldnt be anything like casting out demons.

I think it would be along the lines of, Spirit of God and you in the same body. The soul is seperate to the spirit, however both can exist in the same body.

I do not think that all your thoughts / feelings are your own. Take this verse for example.

22Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

It seems alot more like influence then possession, are we being influenced by spirits? Probably and we dont even know it.

What he says is plausable, however i dont think he has the full picture yet.

Reactions: Stephen P
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shineyourlight

Mar 6, 2020
New York
✟71,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
Like @Radagast mentioned, we do not much know about Jesus' early days. However, I do have to say that if he is fully God and fully human, I am sure he's always had divine powers. Did he do miracles as a child? I don't know. Am I saying he didn't? I also don't know.

I do know that his baptism signified the beginning of his ministry, so did He wait to do his first miracles after His baptism? I also don't know. I know we became aware of His miracles after His baptism, but that doesn't mean He didn't do them before.

I have learned to accept that I'm not going to know everything about Jesus' life when He was on earth and some other answers to some deep theological questions. But, that is okay. :)

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No, Jesus did the miracles because he was the Second Person of the Trinity incarnate.

A child is considered innocent.

Considered by whom? Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, aged 10, kidnapped, tortured, and killed a baby in 1993. Were they "innocent"?

This fulfills that Jesus as a child had no sin, because Jesus was considerd as being totally sinless.

Jesus was a sinless child, but He was the only sinless child.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks for your time!

He was fully Man, so he could only do signs and wonders after he was empowered by the Holy Spirit, which took place after he was baptized by John.

The signs and wonders were to confirm to Israel that their Messiah has arrived on Earth to usher them into the promised Kingdom.

That is why the gospel he preached then was called the Gospel of the Kingdom. Their King is here on Earth!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No... what you think He just talked like we do when he was a baby? No.. did we not read that book? He had to be fully 100% man for this to work. NOTHING happened until after He was filled with (song playing Secret Ambition..Michael We Smith.. perfect timing..wow)

So after the sweet sweet Holy Spirit fell on Him what happened? :) exactly as it is now. The holy Spirit told Him relieved it to Him. Whats written? "For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous"

He had to be fully human. Thats why... those holes are still there.. and that cut in His side. So we will always remember praise GOD glory to JESUS what He did.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks for your time!

Well, I believe Jesus only suppressed His divine attribute of "having all knowledge" or His "Omniscience" (Which took place sometime before the world came into being). This is what I believe the "glory" that Jesus spoke of that He wished to share in again with the Father before the world existed in John 17:5. For Habakkuk 2:14 says, "For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea." Also see 2 Corinthians 4:6.

Anyways, while I believe Jesus did works by the Father and the Holy Spirit, I also believe....

Jesus had power as God
(during His Earthly ministry):

#1. Jesus said He has power to raise the dead to life just as the Father had power to raise the dead (John 5:21).
#2. Hebrews 1:3 talks about how Christ held all things together by the word of His power when He purged us of our sins.
#3. Jesus said, He would raise up this Temple (His body) three days later (John 2:19).
#4. Jesus had the power to forgive sins and give eternal life (Mark 2:7) (Luke 7:44-50) (John 14:6).
#5 Jesus had power to take away the sins of the entire world (John 1:29).
#6. Jesus Christ said wherever two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them (Matthew 18:20). This was said to the people he was around and not to just us today.
#7. Jesus knew men's thoughts (Matthew 9:4) (Matthew 12:25) (Mark 2:8) (Luke 5:22) (Luke 6:8) (Luke 9:47) (Luke 24:38).
#8. Jesus knew about the lives of others (John 2:24) (John 4:17-18) (John 4:29) (John 6:64).​

Scripture clearly establishes the fact that Jesus is God.
If Superman lost his powers he would no longer be Superman, but he would just be a regular guy. I believe the same is true with Jesus. I believe Jesus was fully God. Jesus fully had power as God even as a baby (Which was one of the attributes that qualified Him as God). It was just that His Omniscience was suppressed to some degree in His life because Luke 2:52 says He grew in wisdom as a child.

Your thread question states:

Did Jesus Have Divine Powers As A Kid?

Yes, Jesus had divine powers as a kid.
But did He use those powers as a kid?

Well, Scripture states in John 2:11 that Jesus manifested His glory by His beginning miracles in Galilee. Is it possible that He secretly worked miracles before this? We simply do not know. So while Jesus had power as a child, we simply do not know if He used that power or not as a child.

Last edited:
Upvote 0