Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
which means that Jesus who is God can do what He wants to do when He wants to do it.

And He said he wanted to do only what the Father said and allowed --

But the infant Christ was not even able to talk had to be taught everything from scratch.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He was fully God and fully human - but the infant was not given infinite power to create and destroy worlds as it wished.

Jesus was without sin even as a child. He had no toddler temper tantrums.

That said, John 2:11 suggests that the miracle at Cana was Jesus's first miracle: "This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him."

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was God's, His Father's, timing because "Jesus said, “I speak to you timeless truth. The Son is not able to do anything from himself or through my own initiative. I only do the works that I see the Father doing, for the Son does the same works as his Father." John 5:19.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Did Jesus have "divine/supernatural" abilities or was able to perform miracles or do other "supernatural" acts such as walk on water or turn water into whine or change the weather or heal people, etc BEFORE starting His ministry?

If not, why did He only gain these "divine/supernatural" abilities later in life? Why didn't He have them when He was younger? Did He have to be a certain age to be able to gain these "divine/supernatural" powers or were there criteria/conditions He had to meet before gaining these powers?

Thanks for your time!
He is God so yes he had divine powers. He obviously did not use them in any particular way worth of having been recorded in the gospels. But he was fully God and fully man, he did not need to earn his power.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Son is not able to do anything from himself or through my own initiative. I only do the works that I see the Father doing,
This is a good insight. Jesus was born just as us and suffered through all the pains of life as we do. As Php 2 describes, He was sinless, but He laid aside His glory and walked this life as a man. It wasn't until His baptism, when the Holy Spirit not only descended on Him, but also "remained" - a thing that had never happened before - that supernatural powers flowed through Him. This is how people could even look at Him and not die - He was not in His glory, the powers He had were solely through the Holy Spirit.

Todd White has spoken about this lately. Because he has said that Jesus performed His miracles as a (perfect) man led by the Spirit, he sadly has come under massive attack for "denying the divinity of Christ". He recounted how he was asked to pre-screen a movie on the life of Jesus a few years ago. My guess is the movie was The Young Messiah, which was based on Anne Rice's book, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. I read the book and saw the movie and was myself disgusted. It was then that I swore off any further interest in Anne Rice's "conversion". I don't recall the details any longer, but according to a review at Amazon It had the child Jesus making clay birds come to life and raising a dead child back to life (after He had accidentally killed Him). And perhaps dazzling the Pharisees at 12 in the Temple with miracles. This is based on false gospels and traditions. Todd won no popularity contests that day when he called the movie demonic.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was without sin even as a child. He had no toddler temper tantrums.

He did not have sinful nature with its bent toward rage and evil -- but "God" would not "get hungry, or tired or thirsty"... "God would know how to speak and write and eat, and walk". The infant did not know that .

J
That said, John 2:11 suggests that the miracle at Cana was Jesus's first miracle: "This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him."

good point

Upvote 0

DebbieJ

Jun 1, 2020
Italy
✟22,159.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
If not, why did He only gain these "divine/supernatural" abilities later in life? Why didn't He have them when He was younger? Did He have to be a certain age to be able to gain these "divine/supernatural" powers or were there criteria/conditions He had to meet before gaining these powers?

His powers were in him since birth. But, he chose not to use it fully. It's more like Superman choosing to be the beta Clark Kent, following only his Father's command. His main focus was on the cross and not his powers. That will come later on his second coming.

This requires so much discipline, patience, and focus. He could have zapped every one if he wishes to and wipe out the whole Roman Empire like Sodom and Gomorrah. With great power comes great responsibility.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Did Jesus have "divine/supernatural" abilities or was able to perform miracles or do other "supernatural" acts such as walk on water or turn water into whine or change the weather or heal people, etc BEFORE starting His ministry?

Thanks for your time!

Christ was 100% God and 100% man so yes, he possessed God like abilities as a kid. He didn't use them because that was not in his predetermined plan that he shared with God the Father.

Christ came to do his mission from God, not go around as a child healing people, resurrecting the dead ...etc. But, had it been in God's plan he was knowledgable enough as a child to start his ministry (see Luke 2:41-52). But I guess you can look at it this way, who would follow a child? Even if that child possessed powers and abilites that only God could possess I don't think too many people would have followed him. Who would consider a child a religious leader or the very messiah who was supposed to free the Elect from their sin?

Jesus waited until he was in his 30's because it was God's plan and probably because when he was younger people probably wouldn't have followed him or believed that he was the messiah. The messiah is supposed to be a conquerer like David and the messiah was supposed to be crucified for his sheep's sins.

I... highly doubt as barbaric and heartless and Pilate was, he would crucified a child. Not to mention, how could a child endure the wrath of God for our sins? Jesus had to be a full grown man in order to endure God's wrath and in order to fulfil his mission that God sent him to do.

There's probably a lot of reasons why Christ didn't start his ministry as a child but, he did possess the knowledge and the ability to.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
Scripture only informs us that he was wise beyond His years. His miracles were purposely orchestrated to prove His Divinity. The display of God's power, through His Son Jesus Christ of Nazareth, God in the flesh, was perfectly planed at the time it was needed to fulfill scripture to its fullest.
Be blessed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was born with Holy spirit, So answer is yes our saviour is god from the beginning.
"Holy Spirit" refers to the third person of the Trinity, remember. HS is not some heavenly pick-me-up that makes Jesus or any of us feel differently, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
If you read the Infant Gospel of Thomas, the answer is yes. I wouldn't advise reading it though, it is like a really bad fantasy novel.

The real answer to your question (IMO) comes in Kenotic Theology, in which it is implied that he gave up all powers when he came to live on Earth and only regained them when he was Baptised.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
God had total control of His power. The Word assumed human nature and a human body, This was an addition to Him there are two natures, God and human, and one person Jesus.
Did the baby Jesus cry? Did he ever need milk from Mary?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thanks for your time!

There are some Jesus myths about him making live birds from clay (one of these accounts is in the Koran), and punishing another kid who annoyed him, and other stories like that in the medieval Toledot Yeshu. Nothing from any earlier as far as I know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The real answer to your question (IMO) comes in Kenotic Theology, in which it is implied that he gave up all powers when he came to live on Earth and only regained them when he was Baptised.
However, it is also pointed out that when he was 12 and confounded the elders in the Temple, Jesus was aware of his divinity and his mission, so I have to doubt that "when he was baptized" theory. Additionally, he deliberately suppressed his divine authority in submitting to captivity, false charges, and finally a crucifixion.

No, if he had a full and complete human nature all the while he had a full and complete divine nature...as we believe, the idea that one of the other of them was turned off temporarily at points during his life on Earth is suspect.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: gentlejah
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
However, it is also pointed out that when he was 12 and confounded the elders in the Temple, Jesus was aware of his divinity and his mission, so I have to doubt that "when he was baptized" theory. Additionally, he deliberately suppressed his divine authority in submitting to captivity, false charges, and finally a crucifixion.

No, if he had a full and complete human nature all the while he had a full and complete divine nature...as we believe, the idea that one of the other of them was turned off temporarily at points during his life on Earth is suspect.
I did think of that, but he does not display powers until after the Baptism. That may have been a voluntary thing, but it is not clear.

I don't believe that it was an on/off/on/off situation. Once he regained his powers they were on. I think the Baptism was the time that happened, but he was aware that we was God from the time he reached adulthood (i.e. before age 13).

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thanks for your time!
I think He did have powers since He was a kid, from my understanding, when He turned water into wine it was His first public display. Many versions say that was the first time He "revealed His glory". I believe it is referring publicly because a few verses prior His mom told him they ran out of wine. She could've been implying, "I've seeing you doing it at home. We need more wine". But we don't really have much information about His younger years.

John 2:11 Jesus performed this, the first of His signs, at Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I did think of that, but he does not display powers until after the Baptism. That may have been a voluntary thing, but it is not clear.
Yep. The usual thinking is that the baptism was meant as the kickoff to his public ministry but not that it made possible the use of his divine powers, etc.

I don't believe that it was an on/off/on/off situation. Once he regained his powers they were on.
That's right. You didn't say that and I didn't meant to imply that you did. My point was that any alternating may seem to conflict with the standard Christian belief that he was at all times both fully human and also fully divine/God.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Suspect maybe, but it is a well known theological idea: Kenosis based on the Phillipians passage quoted by someone else here where Jesus 'made himself nothing'.

To me that makes sense of things, else for example the infant Gospel of Thomas becomes plausible (though not likely), i.e. the infant Jesus could perform miracles. The baby in the manger didn't cry because he wasn't hungry... he was God.

Upvote 0