• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Did God institute High Priests, Baptism, Eucharist, Papacy?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by AnticipateHisComing, Sep 12, 2017.

1. dreadnought

dreadnought Lip service isn't really service. Supporter

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I think it would be a mistake to let professionals and councils do our thinking for us. As for the Holy Spirit, he is our teacher.

2. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I think we make things more complicated than they really are.

3. fide

fide Member of His Body by grace

+160
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    I am impatient, too. An imperfection that I battle daily. And I too am an old man - who ought to know better by now. Let's pray for one another...

4. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    The Holy Spirit is that final hurdle.
    If a council's proclomation is accepted by all the Churches over time to have expressed "what has been believed by all, everwhere from the beginning", then it comes to be known as an ecumenical council. We believe that such acceptence is a sign of The Holy Spirit.

There are seven that are considered ecumenical by Eastern Orthodox Christians.

This is in contrast to Rome calling an ecumenical council, and labeling it such as dictated.

Forgive me...

5. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I wouldn't let councils do my thinking for me.

6. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well lets see. They decided on the books that would be used in the services. You know, the bible.
    They decided what days to have which commemorations on... Easter and Christmas.
    They decided that Christ saying Christ was not God was not Christian.
    They decided not to make you get circumcised.
    Forgive me...

7. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    Put your trust in the Lord, not in councils.

8. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Acts 15:28 KJV — For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

Forgive me...

9. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    Yes, the Lord wanted to keep things as simple as possible.

10. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Councils are called in response to a problem. Very few have made it to the stage of proving to the believers that The Holy Spirit approves. That is to say, everyone gives their AXIOS! (Approval)

The creed also comes from the councils, as a dogmatic statement used for baptism and Christian training.

We only have seven, the ones that everyone eventually argreed.

Forgive me...

11. kepha31

kepha31 Regular Member

+582
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    It's too bad the Early Church Fathers (whom you have nothing to do with) didn't put a copy write on the canon of Scripture that wasn't fully realized until 397 AD at the Council of Carthage.
    Since you are such an anti-Catholic you should delete all the chapter and verse numbers. The Bible was divided into chapters by Bishop Stephen Langton in the 13th century, and into verses in the 15th and 16th centuries.
    It's obvious you don't know what infallibility means, no sola scripturist does. Your multi-topic rant is just the same old garden variety anti-Catholic gibberish.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  12. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    The Lord's commandments are clear, aren't they?

13. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not for some apparently. I mean, you have seen the vast number of arguments here...

Forgive me...

14. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Weve all relied on councils, even if were not aware of it. :) Tis our history.

Forgive me...

15. kepha31

kepha31 Regular Member

+582
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    The Lord's commands were clear to the heretic Arius, who taught Jesus was created (refuted at the Council of Nicae)

The Lord's commands were clear to the heretic Nestorius, who claimed that Mary only bore Christ’s human nature in her womb. (like some Protestants today) Refuted at the Council of Ephesus.

The Lord's commands were clear to the heretic Pelagius who denied that we inherit original sin from Adam’s sin in the Garden and claimed that we become sinful only through the bad example of the sinful community into which we are born. Refuted at the Council of Orange.

The Lord's commands were clear to every heretic down through the centuries, and every one of them were sola scripturists.

The Divinity or Godhood of Christ was only finalized in 325 at the Council of Nicaea, and the full doctrine of the Trinity in 381 at the Council of Constantinople. The dogma of the Two Natures of Christ (God and Man) was proclaimed in 451 at the Council of Chalcedon. These decisions of General Councils of the Church were in response to challenging heresies. Why should Protestants accept these authoritative verdicts, but reject similar proclamations on Church government, the Eucharist, Mary, Purgatory, etc.?

The pick-and-choose doesn't make sense, and neither does railing against the authority of the Church that developed trinitarian theology, which is accepted by all 3 main branches of Christianity.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  16. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I'm sure some people here believe the sabbath should be Sunday and others, Saturday. We could elect a seven-member council to decided the matter, and they might decide on Saturday, by a vote of four to three. It really wouldn't change anything, though, would it?

17. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    Satan can spin anything.

18. dreadnought

+3,396
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    We learn things as kids, but we need to revisit and verify those things when we get older.

19. jaison jose

jaison jose Member

+15
    India
    Catholic
    Single
    o i am really sorry
    really sorry it was copied from a site and took the wrong one
    i am not anti catholic...it ws by mistake
    pls forgive me...
    after reading i to realise how what rubbish i have shown its illogical
    pls forgive me....i ll try not to repeat

20. Bible2+

Bible2+ Matthew 4:4

+373
    Christian
    Private
    No, for note that while the corrupt aspects of Rome (as of all other cities) are included in what Revelation's symbolic whore "Babylon" (Revelation chapters 17-18) represents, it represents much more than just the corrupt aspects of Rome. For Rome just by itself doesn't reign over the kings of the earth (Revelation 17:18). Nor is Rome the only city which buys merchandise (Revelation 18:11). Nor has Rome killed all Christian martyrs who have ever been killed (Revelation 18:24). Nor has Rome just by itself corrupted the entire world (Revelation 18:3). Nor has Rome been continuously supported by the empires of fallen mankind throughout history (Revelation 17:9-10). Instead, Revelation's symbolic "Babylon" represents all of fallen mankind's corrupt political (Revelation 17:18), economic (Revelation 18:11) and religious (Revelation 18:24) systems throughout the earth (Revelation 18:3) and throughout history (Revelation 17:9-10).

There are 2 Jerusalems, one on earth and the other in heaven (Hebrews 12:22). The latter is called New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:2).

New Jerusalem is a literal city, 1,500 miles cubed (Revelation 21:16), with literal pearly gates and literal streets of gold (Revelation 21:21). It's God the Father's house in the 3rd heaven (Revelation 21:2-3, cf. 2 Corinthians 12:2b,4, Revelation 2:7b, Revelation 22:2,14), in which house Jesus Christ left to prepare a place for the Church (John 14:2). All those in the Church, whether Jews or Gentiles, have figuratively come to New Jerusalem by coming under the New Covenant (Hebrews 12:22-24, Galatians 4:24-26), which is made only with Israel (Jeremiah 31:31-34), and which only the Church comes under by believing in Jesus' New Covenant suffering and death on the Cross for our sins (Matthew 26:28; 1 Corinthians 11:25; 2 Corinthians 3:6, Hebrews 9:15), the very heart of the Gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

The Church looks for Jesus Christ's future, Second Coming, from heaven (Philippians 3:20), and the setting up of the physical aspect of His Kingdom on the earth with the physically resurrected Church for 1,000 years (Revelation 20:4-6, Revelation 5:10, Revelation 2:26-29), a time period commonly called the Millennium. New Jerusalem won't descend from the 3rd heaven to the earth until after the future, New Earth (a new surface of the earth) has been created (Revelation 21:1-4), sometime after the future Millennium and subsequent events (Revelation 20:7-15). The Church will physically live and reign in New Jerusalem with God the Father and Jesus on the New Earth (Revelation 21:1 to 22:5). The Father and Jesus themselves will be the only temple in New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:22).