Oct 18, 2007
✟15,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please forgive me if I (a single woman) shouldn't be posting here. I need some advice.

I've been praying for a husband. The problem? I don't know any single men at all (Christian or otherwise)! Right now, it appears that going online is my only viable option. I've prayed a lot about this, and I've gotten confirmation from the Word that leads me to think God is OK with it.

You married people on this forum are where I want to be. If any of you met online, which sites did you use? Are there any I should avoid?

Thanks for caring.

Blessings,
Springplum

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I met my husband through a Pagan networking site. And I wasn't even looking for a date. I was looking for directions to a book store and he was the only person in my area who responded to my generic e-mail LOL

I did meet a few men, back before I met Jim, through American Singles and Yahoo Personals and none of those panned out well. The only guy I ever dated during the time between my divorce and meeting Jim who was actually decent I met in a Yahoo chat room, of all places. Here again, I was not looking at the time.

There's nothing wrong with meeting someone online. My advice would be this:

1. Find local. Long distance relationships are difficult and rarely work out.

2. Find someone who shares your basic principles.

3. Don't assume you have to meet someone through a "dating" site. Sometimes the best relationships are accidental.

4. Be careful! I can't stress this enough. Believe me, I met my fair share of crazies. By all accounts, I shouldn't be alive right now. It's that scary sometimes. What I learned from that is that you can never be too careful. Be wary of the guys that insist upon picking you up at your house instead of meeting you at a public, well lit, highly visible spot. Be wary of the guys that make you feel pressured. Don't ever, ever, ever get in a car alone with a guy you have just met. And trust your gut. If your instincts tell you something is wrong, don't force yourself into spending more time with the guy out of fear you will offend them or hurt their feelings. Your intuition will not lead you astray. I wish I had listened to mine more often than I did.

Upvote 0

Adamantium

Sep 29, 2007
✟6,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say E-Harmony is a good place to start.

My husband and I knew each other online for years before we met, and it was 5 years after that, that we started dating. So while I did meet him online it was not through a dating service. We are/were both members of a large online community focused on a hobby we share.

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

I met my wife online, through Christianforums actually. We both came here in 2006. She had come here to look for advice regarding another guy at the time, and I came here because I was looking for big, active Christian message boards. We started talking in, and met in, 2007, and got married in March 2008. So neither of us intended to meet someone here, but we both did :p

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes my husband and I met online, not at CF, but it was a forum. We were just friends online (none of that internet boyfriend/girlfriend stuff). When I moved closer for College we decided to meet and hang out- who knew by the end of the weekend I would have a MAJOR crush on him. I think we started "dating" shortly after that.

We dated for 6 mos then got engaged, got married 8 months after we got engaged. We've been married 3 years as of October.

Upvote 0

klynnmiller

Cry out to Jesus!
Nov 17, 2006
Indiana
✟10,602.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My husband and I met on-line through a dating web site called true.com. I was on that site for about 6 months before I saw his profile when he sent me a "wink". I e-mailed him back and we started e-mailing daily for about 3 weeks. Then we talked on the phone for 3 weeks (we talked for hours every night!!!)

When we did finally go out for the first time, we met at Baker's Square for pie and coffee one evening. We spent 3 hours on coffee and conversation, and I was absolutely head over heels! I left there after he gave me a kiss that left me completely weak in the knees and went to my sister's house. I told my sister that I had just met the man I was going to marry. A year later, he proposed to me on Christmas Eve in front of my whole family, and 10 months after that, we were married!

Funny thing is...I saw him one time at my daughter's softball game (against his daughter's team where he was a coach) before we met on-line and thought he was SOOOO good looking. I actually asked God for him right there and then. I said "Him, God! I want him...or someone like him," then I figured someone that good-looking was probably married and looked around wondering who his wife probably was. He had been divorced for over 4 years by that time. You bet God answers prayer!!!!

Upvote 0

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I met my husband on mIRC, on a christian chat channel. I wasn't looking though, was just looking to chat to people at the time.

Probably not the best Idea though, there's not a whole lot of good men on there.
Same here! ^_^ :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi. I met my fiance in an international political forum. We became friends because of many mutually shared ideas and interests, exchanged e-mails, then he wanted to call so once I was over the surprise of it, I said OK. The conversations progressed to webcam, he flew over from England 3 years ago at Christmas and my family fell in love with him. We're getting married this Christmas. :)

I wasn't praying for a husband (I don't think), but there's not a doubt in my mind that it's all God's will. His plan has turned out to be soooooo much better than any I could have come up with, especially for my daughter, so be patient and trust that those people who come in to and go out of your life may not be meant to permanent. If they are, God will make sure that happens, so let it.

Blessings and peace.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shortly after my divorce I needed some friends. Most of the friends that I had were all married. So I discovered the internet and another web site. I did date a couple of times from it and a web site called Plenty of Fish (which is free).
I was just about resolute with giving up on dating due to the real lack of compatable people out there for me. (I am kinda unique in a couple of areas) and was simply interested in making friends.

When one day a woman that I knew about (but didn't really know well) emailed me about something that she had posted in response to one of my posts. She had before looked at my profile and dismissed me because I smoked. I had looked at hers and dismissed hers because she was a nurse. But we met shortly after an exchange of phone numbers and it became obvious to both of us that we absolutely were perfect for each other.

We have been married now for over a month and it keeps getting better day by day. We both marvel at how good we have it now compared to past relationships that we both have held.

I do remember though. People generally take pictures of themselves that are the most flattering possible. I seen women that where their picture made them look great...but when you met them they had the figure of a cinder block. Some of them had mysteriously gained thirty-fifty pounds or had aged ten years. (The part that always disturbed me was the lying to begin with...their real appearance wasn't that bad or important to me as their hearts) Or they came off really pleasant in their emails or telephone conversations but when speaking to them in person they were overbearing.
I have also seen where people meet off the internet only to be divorced a month later after an abbreviated engagement.

If I were you I would concentrate on making real friendships over the internet. Meet people in person with nothing more than friendships really in mind. I have met dozens and dozens of people and made a lot of really great friends...who still are friends today. I have had them in my apartment and met them in their houses. (I did use prudence though) They all rejoice with me over my marriage. (all but one...she had other plans)

IF you are considering the notion...

Pay attention to RED FLAGS. Don't be alone with someone you know absolutely nothing about. Meet in public areas and ask penetrating questions. Even guys need to do this. Women can be just as predatory as men if they choose to be.

Upvote 0

svl3p

Jul 27, 2006
ontario
✟8,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
my husband (poctim here on the forums) and i met online, christiancafe.com...there is a fee, but you get a free trial, and after the trial is over you randomly get "we miss you, have 3 more days free" emails...it was during one of the random free days things i got his email and we met a couple days later...got engaged a couple months later..married 5.5 months after the first day we met in person...and so on ... lol and it's been busy ever since, been married under 2 years and pregnant with #2....

But as everyone has said..safety is #1...meet in public, crowded places...don't drive anyone meet alone somewhere, etc

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We met on Christiancafe.com, but both had profiles on a number of other sites like eHarmony and Christianmingle.com. Actually Christianmingle is one of the better ones because they really keep an eye on things. If they see any funny business in profiles, etc. they're right on it. Unfortunatley, once your intro trial expires you do have to pay for the service. I couldn't afford it so I stuck with Christiancafe and waited for the occasional free weekends.

I was on Plentyoffish.com too. I made some friends ther, but found even most who called themselves Christan really weren't at all. It was a fun place for the forums, but I did not find it a good place to meet a man.

Despite being on many of the same dating sites, we were never matched up by any of the automated programs they have. I came across his profile one day and thought he might be a nice guy to get to know who lived nearby. He thought the same of me. Neither of us thought we'd be a match. But email conversation became a huge long and very time consuming process as we really clicked. Then eventually that turned into massive long phone calls. Eventually we met when he took me for dinner for my birthday. Even after that we stayed "just friends" for another month before admitting we had feelings for one another. And we also took a lot of time to talk about a whole pile of very serious issues because neither of us wanted to start a romantic relationship if there were any reasons we would never get married. Six months later we got engaged, and three and half months later we were married. That was two and a half years ago. We are so thankful God brought us together!

Online dating is like a rollercoaster ride. There are good times and bad. Sometimes you can't find a single decent person to meet. And sometimes you're constantly contacted by really freaky people. Sometimes you just want to give up and walk away. But then there are times when you make really nice friends. And other times when you meet people who have potential. I agree that it's important to keep it casual and never expect anything more than friendship from anyone. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people on dating website (yes, even on the Christian ones) are just looking for sex. My husband's (former) best friend admitted to actually using Christian dating sites specifically to set up one night stands. And there were plenty of women who accomodated that. So it's kinda about wading through all the crap to get to the good stuff. Be very clear in your profile about what you're looking for. BUT when you're contacted, don't just volunteer information about yourself either. Some people use that to manipulate by finding out what you like and then pretending they do to. Don't be afraid to ask tough questions early on and set boundaries. One of the first thing my husband told me in email was that sex was absolutely not an option until he gets married. I so appreciated that! But many other women would have been offended by that and walked away. It served as a good filter.

As for preparing for marriage, that is really important too. More important than getting yourself out there online or wherever. Something really cool that God did in my life is He drew me to that preparation long before I even met my husband. I found a book called "The Excellent Wife" by Martha Peace. It really got me thinking about what my responsbilities would be and how to prepare myself for that. God was working in my heart, getting me ready for him and already had him all ready to meet me!

One last thing. Kat made a very important point here that I want to echo as well. Always trust your instinct when you see any red flags. And never take your chances. I didn't even give out my phone number out to anyone. Even my husband didn't get it until we'd been emailing non-stop for months.

4. Be careful! I can't stress this enough. Believe me, I met my fair share of crazies. By all accounts, I shouldn't be alive right now. It's that scary sometimes. What I learned from that is that you can never be too careful. Be wary of the guys that insist upon picking you up at your house instead of meeting you at a public, well lit, highly visible spot. Be wary of the guys that make you feel pressured. Don't ever, ever, ever get in a car alone with a guy you have just met. And trust your gut. If your instincts tell you something is wrong, don't force yourself into spending more time with the guy out of fear you will offend them or hurt their feelings. Your intuition will not lead you astray. I wish I had listened to mine more often than I did.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

BlessedGraceAlways

Dec 11, 2007
Ventura County, California
✟15,248.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I met my husband on match.com. We were attending the same college. Our first date was at Barnes and Nobles for coffee. 6 months later we were engaged, 2 months after that married. We've been married for 10 1/2 years now and have 4 children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums