Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is God a prophet? If God makes a false prediction, are we supposed to stone him?
Jesus was both human and God and fulfilled the earthly role of a prophet. If any human prophet makes a false prophecy he should be killed.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was both human and God and fulfilled the earthly role of a prophet. If any human prophet makes a false prophecy he should be killed.

Off topic. Unless you are saying it was Jesus making the prophecy in Deuteronomy 18...?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Off topic. Unless you are saying it was Jesus making the prophecy in Deuteronomy 18...?
God is making prophecy of the man he would become, the man called Jesus the prophet of Nazareth.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God is making prophecy of the man he would become, the man called Jesus the prophet of Nazareth.

So then do you agree that it was God making a prophecy, and not a prophet making a prophecy? If so, why would the test for false prophets apply?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So then do you agree that it was God making a prophecy, and not a prophet making a prophecy? If so, why would the test for false prophets apply?
Yes, God is making the prophecy, the test for false prophets would apply for those who claim to be the prophet like unto Moses, and those who usurp the tittle from the prophet who is Jesus.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, God is making the prophecy, the test for false prophets would apply for those who claim to be the prophet like unto Moses, and those who usurp the tittle from the prophet who is Jesus.

So then do you agree with my main point in the OP, which is that no prophet has given a far-future prophecy about Jesus? If not, what is your grounds for disagreeing?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So then do you agree with my main point in the OP, which is that no prophet has given a far-future prophecy about Jesus? If not, what is your grounds for disagreeing?
How so? Isn’t Moses Prophesying about a future prophet who will be like him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It always applies to anyone who claims to be a prophet, but isn’t.

Let's recap then:

If a prophet speaks in the name of another god, he's a false prophet. This is mostly irrelevant for the discussion.

If a prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah but his prophecy does not come true, then he is a false prophet.

False prophets are to be executed.

No exception is being made for far-future prophecies that are supposed to be fulfilled long after the prophet's death.

From all of the undisputed facts above, I infer that there was a common expectation that prophecies be fulfilled within the lifetime of the prophet (because otherwise false prophets could elude execution by claiming that their prophecy will not be fulfilled for 500+ years).

Therefore, all of the prophecies supposedly about Jesus Christ are bogus.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's recap then:

If a prophet speaks in the name of another god, he's a false prophet. This is mostly irrelevant for the discussion.

If a prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah but his prophecy does not come true, then he is a false prophet.

False prophets are to be executed.

No exception is being made for far-future prophecies that are supposed to be fulfilled long after the prophet's death.

From all of the undisputed facts above, I infer that there was a common expectation that prophecies be fulfilled within the lifetime of the prophet (because otherwise false prophets could elude execution by claiming that their prophecy will not be fulfilled for 500+ years).

Therefore, all of the prophecies supposedly about Jesus Christ are bogus.
There are prophecies within the Torah that haven’t been fulfilled yet. By that logic many Biblical prophets would also be false prophets, you may view the many unfulfilled prophecies that are contained within the Hebrew Bible:

http://jewishroots.net/library/anti...ent_prophets_with_unfulfilled_prophecies.html

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are prophecies within the Torah that haven’t been fulfilled yet. By that logic many Biblical prophets would also be false prophets, you may view the many unfulfilled prophecies that are contained within the Hebrew Bible:

http://jewishroots.net/library/anti...ent_prophets_with_unfulfilled_prophecies.html

That's the point in question on the thread. I don't understand what you think you're accomplishing by asserting the point in question as if it's evidence for your position.

Furthermore, you completely ignored what I had to say. I assume we're simply done discussing it then.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's the point in question on the thread. I don't understand what you think you're accomplishing by asserting the point in question as if it's evidence for your position.

Furthermore, you completely ignored what I had to say. I assume we're simply done discussing it then.
I’m just pointing out that not all prophecies must necessarily be fulfilled in the lifetime of the prophets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I’m just pointing out that not all prophecies must necessarily be fulfilled in the lifetime of the prophets.

Prophet A is a follower of Jehovah and prophesies that the messiah will be born in Town A.

Prophet B is also a follower of Jehovah but prophesies that the messiah will be born in Town B.

How do you know who is telling the truth? How do you resolve this, seeing as how the results won't be known for centuries?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prophet A is a follower of Jehovah and prophesies that the messiah will be born in Town A.

Prophet B is also a follower of Jehovah but prophesies that the messiah will be born in Town B.

How do you know who is telling the truth? How do you resolve this, seeing as how the results won't be known for centuries?
Interpreting the scripture in context and reading what previous prophets said about the Messiah will show us which prophet is telling the truth and which one isn’t. The evidence from the scripture will either show either Town A or Town B to be the right town for the Messiah to be born in.

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Where did you get the criteria that prophesies must be fulfilled within the prophets lifetime?

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Interpreting the scripture in context and reading what previous prophets said about the Messiah will show us which prophet is telling the truth and which one isn’t. The evidence from the scripture will either show either Town A or Town B to be the right town for the Messiah to be born in.

That answer doesn't make any sense. In the thought experiment, scriptures don't yet exist on the matter. Read the last sentence again.

I'm asking you how you would know which of the two to execute.

Upvote 0