• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Desk job killing me!

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am currently sitting in an armchair at home with terrible stabbing back pain. That's hurts to even breathe. I couldn't even stand up straight a few hours ago. I've tried heating pads, stretches, icy hot, activated charcoal... It tightens right back up and I can't move. I have high pain tolerance too cause Ive taken 4 shots in the mouth at once without a wince and also needles in the face during acne extractions, but this sharp stabbing back pain is terrible.

I hate my call center desk job and resent that it's the way of life to be chained there for 8.5 hours a day with no reprieve unless you're in the grave.

Anyway, I'm gonna say this pain is probably due to my office job. I'm only 26 and I try to walk or jog everyday I stretch throughout the day. No I will not have the option to switch chairs at my job or switch to a standing desk. Even if I do try I do not want cankles (fat ankles) from standing all day.

How in the world am I even supposed to go to work tomorrow or do anything else if I can't even straighten my back!

I'm in my probabtionary period and I can't call out or be late otherwise termination. Even if I did call out not like that's going to help long term.

Help! What do I do?

Reactions: sweetsunday

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I suffer with bad back. Lower back. Take painkillers daily.

I stand in my job and back really hurts! I cant sit because of burning pain on rear upper legs.

I am waiting for an MRI scan. Docs told me i will more than likely just have to have pain management! I am 54

Had a bad back since i was 18. Has gotten worse over the years though.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I am currently sitting in an armchair at home with terrible stabbing back pain. That's hurts to even breathe. I couldn't even stand up straight a few hours ago. I've tried heating pads, stretches, icy hot, activated charcoal... It tightens right back up and I can't move. I have high pain tolerance too cause Ive taken 4 shots in the mouth at once without a wince and also needles in the face during acne extractions, but this sharp stabbing back pain is terrible.

I hate my call center desk job and resent that it's the way of life to be chained there for 8.5 hours a day with no reprieve unless you're in the grave.

Anyway, I'm gonna say this pain is probably due to my office job. I'm only 26 and I try to walk or jog everyday I stretch throughout the day. No I will not have the option to switch chairs at my job or switch to a standing desk. Even if I do try I do not want cankles (fat ankles) from standing all day.

How in the world am I even supposed to go to work tomorrow or do anything else if I can't even straighten my back!

I'm in my probabtionary period and I can't call out or be late otherwise termination. Even if I did call out not like that's going to help long term.

Help! What do I do?
I've never heard of anyone having fat ankles from standing all day. My job involved standing a lot and I never got fat ankles, and i was on that job for more than 30 years. Something else that can cause back pain is stress. Maybe you need to remove some stress from your life.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I suffer with bad back. Lower back. Take painkillers daily.

I stand in my job and back really hurts! I cant sit because of burning pain on rear upper legs.

I am waiting for an MRI scan. Docs told me i will more than likely just have to have pain management! I am 54

Had a bad back since i was 18. Has gotten worse over the years though.
Stress can contribute to the problem.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I know exactly that stabbing pain that hurts to breathe. I was that way for a while after an auto accident last year.

Ended up in physical therapy and that helped a lot. They didn't get rid of all pain, but the severe pain is gone. There was a large emphasis of particular stretching of the area that helped a lot, and then some hands-on work. Maybe in your situation, lots of stretching and deep tissue massage targeted at the spot. I also got a Flexeril (muscle relaxer) prescription to help through take the edge off during the rough times.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'd speak with your doctor ASAP and see what they recommend. It's very strange to be that young and have such severe pain from simply sitting down unless there's another medical issue that's undiagnosed.

Go see your doctor and get checked over.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I listen to asmr and I got rid of my lawsuit and I drink chamomile tea everyday and go for walks. So I mean I do what I need to to de stress theres no way that stress is causing this kind of pain. That's kinda the answer corporate America gives to people to avoid the elephant in the room which is 40 hour a week desk jobs will kill you early and leave you with tons of medical bills and unfortunately the cost of living and retirement is too high to get away from it without being rich :/.

I hate the job and I'm extremely depressed/ suicidal because of call center work( think dealing with angry people yelling at you or explaining things 20 times to people). I was without my job for a while and my suicidal thoughts and depression started lifting a little when I had more freedom in my life.

Anyway all this is beside the point. This back pain is a new animal and coupled with the fact that I have extreme tooth pain from dental work as well and waste high in medical bills from all the pointless unhelpful dr visits and then the fact I can't switch or even get in to see a Dr. Because I work and will get fired very few to no Saturday Drs period.

Guys I know we are kinda in the same boat with back pain and you're giving me your best suggestions it just I kinda see the boot coming. I have two dental surgeries I have to find some way to schedule without getting tired and I paying nearly 10000 for all my dental work but can't get in because of my job. So I mean if I can't get in to do that no way I can call off to go to the Dr without getting fired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine, and I sit all day, as well, since I drive trucks for a living. I sympathize. If I sit for too long, my lower back kills me; if I stand for too long, my upper back muscles kill me, as my upper back compensates for the weakness of my lower back. I usually do a good job finding a healthy mix of both sitting and standing, and I do stretches, but I can't say I've found anything that truly helps, other than not doing either for too long. You have my prayers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is so weird for me. I've never had back pain and have usually been a very active person. College and the 40 hour work week after graduating have literally destroyed my health.

I never used to have these kinds of problems.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd speak with your doctor ASAP and see what they recommend. It's very strange to be that young and have such severe pain from simply sitting down unless there's another medical issue that's undiagnosed.

Go see your doctor and get checked over.

Im not surprised sitting all day for hours for years would cause back pain. Office jobs has caused other problems for me to.

I developed severe wheezing from my previous office job. My Dr tried to make me take Albuterol. Which was way too expensive so I left it at the pharmacy.
To this day I still have what I think is chronic bronchitis. I had my house tested for mold. My house is fine. Its the dumb office environment. My sister has worked 15 years n her office job. She's sick all the time and her Dr told her if she doesn't want to be a hunch back she should quit. Obviously she can't but yeah office jobs ARE that bad for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Help! What do I do?
Go and buy a waist belt, commonly used by weight-lifters, from a sports store/shop or hypermarket. It can help relieve severe back pain and allow physical movement.

Besides back injury and bad prolonged sitting position, lack of sleep and bad sleeping position can also cause back pain.
... Avoid lifting heavy things with your back muscles. Change your sitting position every half hour. Change your office chair if needed or use a chair cushion for the back.
... Avoid sleeping on your side = sleep flat on your back or on your chest. Lack of sleep results in weak nerves in the spinal cord = back pain.
... If back pain disrupt your sleep, use painkillers, eg over-the-counter paracetamol.

Last resort is to change job or look for a new job, if you can afford to, eg by asking for a personal loan.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I listen to asmr and I got rid of my lawsuit and I drink chamomile tea everyday and go for walks. So I mean I do what I need to to de stress theres no way that stress is causing this kind of pain. That's kinda the answer corporate America gives to people to avoid the elephant in the room which is 40 hour a week desk jobs will kill you early and leave you with tons of medical bills and unfortunately the cost of living and retirement is too high to get away from it without being rich :/.

I hate the job and I'm extremely depressed/ suicidal because of call center work( think dealing with angry people yelling at you or explaining things 20 times to people). I was without my job for a while and my suicidal thoughts and depression started lifting a little when I had more freedom in my life.

Anyway all this is beside the point. This back pain is a new animal and coupled with the fact that I have extreme tooth pain from dental work as well and waste high in medical bills from all the pointless unhelpful dr visits and then the fact I can't switch or even get in to see a Dr. Because I work and will get fired very few to no Saturday Drs period.

Guys I know we are kinda in the same boat with back pain and you're giving me your best suggestions it just I kinda see the boot coming. I have two dental surgeries I have to find some way to schedule without getting tired and I paying nearly 10000 for all my dental work but can't get in because of my job. So I mean if I can't get in to do that no way I can call off to go to the Dr without getting fired.
Just look for another job if its that bad, you arent obligated to stay there. Don't let anyone and I mean anyone ...take away your will to live, they arent worth it and neither is a job. I drink chamomilr tea too.. Its great :)

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last resort is to change job or look for a new job, if you can afford to
I'd say that's the *first* resort, not the last. I haven't been a call center worker, but I've worked in places that have call centers. I would think it's a very difficult job. I'd be looking for something else starting now.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Im not surprised sitting all day for hours for years would cause back pain. Office jobs has caused other problems for me to.

I developed severe wheezing from my previous office job. My Dr tried to make me take Albuterol. Which was way too expensive so I left it at the pharmacy.
To this day I still have what I think is chronic bronchitis. I had my house tested for mold. My house is fine. Its the dumb office environment. My sister has worked 15 years n her office job. She's sick all the time and her Dr told her if she doesn't want to be a hunch back she should quit. Obviously she can't but yeah office jobs ARE that bad for you.

I dunno. I've spent most of my adult life sitting and haven't had any issues apart from when I have to stand(which I do in my new job) because my back muscles are building up.

It's very strange. It may be that your chair isn't adequate for support. Most of my friends work in an office environment in IT and none of them have back problems. Some of them having standing desks because they prefer it and find it gives them less fatigue, but nothing like what you've described.

Definitely see your doctor and see what they recommend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this a one time or only occasional occurrence?

I first tweaked my back as a teen when I did a far reach to move a motorcycle engine. Since then I've determined, when I move a certain way that separates the vertebrae, then apply force, very bad things happen. Pinched nerve? I actually thought I was having a heart attack that first time. Since then it has happened many more times than I can count, and it always leaves me incapacitated for 4 to 5 days.

Did yours come on with a sudden problem? And to complicate the matter, I didn't always feel the initial tweak itself, just got extremely immobile due to pain, but got better just like the tweaks.

If this is something like you have, and is a first, it may well get better and you could go on for months or maybe even forever, before it happens again.
Or maybe that's not what you have going on, it's just that I have never heard of such a thing from a desk job alone.

As mentioned, a doctor is a good bet. I never bothered because I realized it was common, and since I have always been in a position where I could stop doing things and rest it, it wasn't that big a deal except it hurt like mad taking care of myself for those few days.

Now if this is all stemming somehow from the general hate of that desk job, I get that, and you need to do something to change that. Thing is, if you have never gotten out there and endured some work, you might appreciate that desk job. However, if it's something you like doing, no matter if it's behind a desk or not, that covers a lot of drawbacks, and seems to be the key in being happy in your work.

The only time I was ever happy was running my own business, and usually substandard ones that just got me by, but not always. Just like anything, we do it enough and we figure it out.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dunno. I've spent most of my adult life sitting and haven't had any issues apart from when I have to stand(which I do in my new job) because my back muscles are building up.

It's very strange. It may be that your chair isn't adequate for support. Most of my friends work in an office environment in IT and none of them have back problems. Some of them having standing desks because they prefer it and find it gives them less fatigue, but nothing like what you've described.

Definitely see your doctor and see what they recommend.

I'm getting undertones the OP wants off that chain. :)

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm getting undertones the OP wants off that chain. :)

Lol, I do hate it but my back does really hurt. Unfortunately, I can't get out of it by being in pain anyways cause I need to save up more money for my escape plan to work in the first place (I've been study coding and looking into remote work opportunities) so that kind of kills your theory.

Basically I already have an escape plan and if I'm in pain and get fired it will actually be harder to get out of corporate America so being in pain doesn't benefit me. I really am in pain.

It really might be a pinched nerve like the person above mentioned cause yes it just started suddenly. Just last night it hit me and my neck has been hurting bad for a few days and then hit my back.

Almost took a muscle relaxer but I chickened out cause it looks dangerous and I don't want to sleep the rest of the day so I'm sitting up with a heating pad on my back and I'm tired of sitting here whole day is going by.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol, I do hate it but my back does really hurt. Unfortunately, I can't get out of it by being in pain anyways cause I need to save up more money for my escape plan to work in the first place (I've been study coding and looking into remote work opportunities) so that kind of kills your theory.

Basically I already have an escape plan and if I'm in pain and get fired it will actually be harder to get out of corporate America so being in pain doesn't benefit me. I really am in pain.

First, good deal you have an escape plan.

On the pain, I didn't really think it was psychosomatic, bu that your main concern was getting out of there.

No for the "doctor" part of my post, that is assuming the problem doesn't match up with what I described, but even then, you may want to see the Doc.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Help! What do I do?
We are all different.

I get back pain only when, I do no exercise and sit around all day.

Upvote 0