• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Depression over salvation

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you worry about your salvation then you haven't understood the good news yet my friend.

1 Tim 4:9-10

This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.

So trust in Jesus and the sacrifice He made for your sin, confess Him in your daily life and you can be assured that salvation will come your way.

Hallelujah!

All praise to Jesus.:bow:

Upvote 0

knw1991

Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
✟16,539.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Jesus told the rich guy to sell all his possessions because he claimed to have kept all the commandments but when Jesus asked him to sell all his possessions he walked away sad, Jesus said that to show him that he really didn't keep all the commandments like he claimed. The rich guy didn't love God with all his heart, soul, and mind, he loved his money more. Therefore like every other human being who has NOT kept the commandments he needed a savior. Jesus was his answer to receiving eternal life. The bible says by grace we have been saved not by works so no one can boast. If someone sold all their possessions to earn eternal life they could boast but this is impossible because salvation only comes by believing in Jesus as your Savior.

Upvote 0

Jake and Jenn

Jul 9, 2014
Ohio
Visit site
✟7,652.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:1 , there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. A trick the enemy uses to keep us from living in the fullness of Christ is to keep us doubting, and keep us filling guilty. Forgiven means forgiven! Don't be discouraged, the great thing about grace is that we don't deserve it, but it's freely given to us anyway. Stay encouraged!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8:1 , there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. A trick the enemy uses to keep us from living in the fullness of Christ is to keep us doubting, and keep us filling guilty. Forgiven means forgiven! Don't be discouraged, the great thing about grace is that we don't deserve it, but it's freely given to us anyway. Stay encouraged!

I love that chapter 8 of Romans! there is so much searching truth in it for the encouragement and challenge of the believer. My wife and I have read through Romans together.

Upvote 0
A

alasthai

I'm continually worried that I'm not really saved.
Think about it this way: you are a work in progress, but God is the one doing that work, and God is good at not making mistakes.

I fear that God wants me to sell all my possessions and give to the poor, but I can't do that.
Unless you're staggering richly, doing that is unlikely to be useful.

Let's say I sell everything I own for $100 000, which will mean losing my job because I will no longer have transportation. That's $100 000 for the needy, but I have now become one of them, and am now the recipient of resources which could have gone to someone else.

Alternatively, let's say I continue working away, living frugally, and give $10 000 per year to the needy. In ten years of work, I will have reached that $100 000; in twenty, I will have doubled it; by retirement, I will have helped far more than I would have by selling everything.

I'm crying out to God to have mercy upon me.
Good! While you're at it, cry out to God to have mercy upon everyone else, too, because we all need it!

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Lord was aiming that "sell all you have and give to the poor" message at one specific person, for a specific reason. We must always consider context. Not everything said to an individual in the Bible should be taken as a command for all of us to do the same thing.

It's just as knw1991 said. When He gave that instruction, Christ was talking to the rich young ruler who had great wealth. The man had approached Him about salvation and claimed to be righteous enough, but his unwillingness to part with his riches showed that he valued money over the Lord. He chose to walk away rather than do as Christ asked of him, which exposed his sin: covetousness. He was not, in fact, righteous enough to enter eternal life on his own merits, as none of us are. We all need a Savior.

This doesn't mean God requires everyone to give up all of their possessions.

Upvote 0

jusme

May 19, 2012
Mississippi, USA
✟8,810.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rubiks, I have a suspicion that there is more going on with you than just depression. I have been there myself. Questioning my salvation I mean, and it was torturous! So, I would first like to ask you one simple question; What do you believe, in your heart, it takes to be saved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is often that we need to reach a point of despair of our own ability to save ourselves, if we have never really discovered it but only been taught it, and told to repeat it

The episode is very specifically about not just a rich young man, but a rich young ruler, and even more specifically I believe, a rich young Jewish ruler, for he knew the commandments.

Do you think Jesus would only have loved this man after he gave all his posessions away?

Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many times in my life where I have felt I am not saved but its just the Devil and the depression talking.

I'm praying for you. :prayer:

Yes me too. If you weren't saved why would the devil bother you with lies?
I prayed the sinner's prayer every week, if I had committed the smallest sin I thought I had to convert again until I found out you get born again once, not every week. Good preaching I got was: There is no good deed you did that got you into the Kingdom, there is no bad deed that will get you get you out of the Kingdom.
Oh and about selling everything: then nobody would be saved LOL. If you are exuberantly rich and never give something to others, that's sin, but you don't have to sell everything. Those in Acts that had two houses sold one, so they still had one for themselves.
Love your neighbour as yourself.
1 Timothy 6:6
But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think Jesus would only have loved this man after he gave all his posessions away?

Jesus would love the man regardless of whether he chose God or satan. One thing that helps me be confident of my salvation is saying that Jesus came to same humanity even when we didn't ask for it, so why should we fear Jesus would say no to us even when our repentance isn't 100% perfect?

Upvote 0

Restoresmysoul

Sep 12, 2014
✟4,252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I go through many feelings, but i learned to use Gods armor and it helped me. I think also that i grew tired of feelings ruling my life and so i decided to put it all in Gods hands. I remind God of His promises and i rest in Hope. What will be will be, and God is faithful. Praise the Lord.

Upvote 0

KnowHisJoy77

blessed
Sep 14, 2014
Georgia USA
✟46,558.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm continually worried that I'm not really saved. I fear that God wants me to sell all my possessions and give to the poor, but I can't do that. I'm crying out to God to have mercy upon me.

There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ. .says Romans 8:1
This is the truth. Now if you are born again redeemed by Jesus you have nothing to fear..feelings are good but feelings are not reliable, they are up and down depending circumstances etc plus we have a real enemy that harass and plants thoughts and suggestions in our minds..we must guard our thought life, renew our minds, bring thoughts captives, apply the Word of God not just knowing it in your head..these instructions and more more applies to all who follows Jesus and are learning from Him.

God bless and keep you!

Upvote 0