✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

What is the main confusion and source of such contention between denominations?

What are the pain points for your denom.?

What draws one person to one denom. and not another?

Why did you pick your denomination?

Why do some denominations follow the teachings of one Man/Woman's beliefs about what the Bible says rather than spending time doing self thought?

Why do you or don't you use "We" and "Us" and "Our" when speaking about general theology?

~Natsumi Lam~

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I started out. In the Church of the Nazarene, which was almost identical to my dad’s denom of Wesleyan Methodist. Mom went to a Methodist church also. But then she got baptized in the Holy Spirit and were forced out. Eventually we ended up in the Assy of God. (Basically a pentecostal Methodist). But later on God started drawing me to Judaism, and specifically Messianic Judaism.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Raised nominally Catholic. At 30 made a decided choice to follow Christ as an Evangelical. At 50 had a life changing circumstance and discovered Eastern Orthodoxy and was immersed in it for five years. Lutheran/Anglican perspectives and practices ultimately seem best for me.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
1. The question of authority is at the root of the splintering of Christianity. If we say that it's about the proper interpretation of Scripture (or what books make up the canon of Scripture), then there is still left the question of who has the authority to interpret it.

2. Pain points? If you mean, what other Christians reject, the Papacy is number 1. Next would be the Immaculate Conception of Mary and her perpetual virginity (and sinlessness). Next, purgatory. Then, the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Personally, I find it perplexing how the Papacy seems to be the "hard saying" for many rather than the Real Presence, but that's for another thread.

3. Anything from truth to "I like the music that this church plays" to "the pastor here is charismatic".

4. I was raised Catholic for part of my life and Episcopalian for awhile. I became irreligious after Confirmation and almost became Buddhist. I "encountered Christ" for the first time in college at Mass. I didn't believe in the Real Presence and spent awhile looking for which denomination matched up with my beliefs, and as someone who didn't yet know of the divinity of Christ (having never read the Bible), that could've been a huge mistake. I encountered Catholic apologetics and became convinced of its claims. Three years of reading Scripture and the works of the saints (and praying) later, I remain Catholic, convinced that it is the very Church of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pain points?

Speaking only for myself, I appreciate the Catholic Church's strong stand on certain cultural issues, her dogmas and her authority.

I came to believe that the Catholic Church is indeed the one founded by Our Lord. I mean no disrespect to the Orthodox but I simply find their cases to be less persuasive than the Catholic Church's case.

Why do some denominations follow the teachings of one Man/Woman's beliefs about what the Bible says rather than spending time doing self thought?
Because people are not their own popes. I believe there is a need for authority. A single person has a limited amount of time to live, a limited amount of intelligence and a limited amount of life experiences.

Asking that person to read, analyze and comprehend the entire biblical canon is, I think, grossly inappropriate.

Protestantism not only demands that one person do that, Protestantism demands that ALL their members do that. But it's impractical and unrealistic. Most people are not scholars. The Catholic Church recognizes that simple reality and instead offers people guidance, leadership, the sacraments, etc, but she doesn't demand that people be more than what God created them to be.

Instead, my Church reads, rereads and rereads the scriptures again and ensures a precision of thought that began in ancient Rome and a harmony of interpretation which continues into the present day. It's a level of authority and scholarship which, frankly, no Protestant community in all of history can ever hope to match.

Protestant communities may be good at providing a modern American view of Sacred Scripture or the European Renaissance-era viewpoint on Sacred Scripture. But I believe that the Catholic Church and the Catholic Church alone teaches the eternal and true viewpoint of Sacred Scripture.

Everybody else is welcome to make up their own minds on the matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the core theology of Methodism and its focus on grace and free will. When I decided I did not want to go back to the Southern Baptist denomination and was investigating different denominations, and was reading about the history of the Methodist church and about John and Charles and Suzanna Wesley, and discovered that the social policies in the UMC Discipline (as in actually caring for the poor and disadvantaged and environmental concerns and the equality of women) were closer to my own scriptural beliefs, it seemed a great match and I have not been disappointed.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
1. The main points of denominations between Protestants vary. For an example, Baptist and Presbyterians main points of disagreement is church government and views of covenant theology (which further divides on other issues such as whether infants should be baptized or not).

2. What drew me to my denomination is the theology, the worship, and the community. I was tired of attending a church that continually bashed my views for an example. I felt very uncomfortable worshipping in some churches that taught people can speak in tongues, women can preach off and on in the pulpit, elders promoting moderately word of faith teachers, etc. I wanted to find a church where I felt more relatable and can fellowship with like-minded people, with like-minded views, with like-minded perspectives, without contention. My views fell in line with a certain denomination that I felt was most true.

3. I don't think any real Christian denomination ever follows a man. I believe this is ignorance on the part of the outsider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,263,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi Family,

Anything and everything.

I didn't "pick" it per se, I felt drawn to it. There wasn't alot of other options for me, either.

Why do you or don't you use "We" and "Us" and "Our" when speaking about general theology?

Lutheranism is a shared confession of faith, it's a package deal to some extent, sort of like Catholicism or Orthodoxy, so "we" is often appropriate, when I'm not merely stating my own opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Between my Baptist and Catholic relatives, I find the major points of argument are Mariology and baptismal theology. That said, I've yet to see any of my family members bicker about these points. It's not because we don't talk about our faith, because we all talk about it a lot. Heck, my Evangelical Baptist parents are my Catholic cousins' godparents. We just don't give each other trouble about it (Or at least, no one has since the late 1960s).

I was raised in the Baptist church. One of the things that makes Baptists baptists is that they believe it's important that baptism be done by immersion. You also shouldn't baptize children under the age of reason. They also don't believe baptism does anything. At all. It doesn't bestow grace. It doesn't wash away original sin. It's just... a thing we do that has to be done in a highly specific way. To this day, I still don't get why it's so all-fired important that someone be baptized in a highly specific way if it doesn't do anything.
Also the "no dancing, no drinking, no playing cards" thing, though the last one may be more cultural than theological. Especially since most card games I know I learned on mission trips with my Baptist church choir.

Well, for some, it's necessity. My Cajun relatives in Louisiana became Baptist because in the 1930s their community couldn't convince the diocese to send them a Catholic priest (They lived in the middle of nowhere in a rural, swampy area isolated enough that nobody spoke English as a first language, if they spoke English at all).
Other people convert for love. My family is full of Catholics and Protestants falling in love and one of them converting to the other's denomination, whether eventually or immediately.
But for others, it has to do with theology. Maybe they were raised in it. Maybe they found a verse that changed everything. It depends.

*deep inhale* Here it goes.
So I was raised in an Evangelical Baptist church, but the digging I've done into theology, church history, and the Bible has made me decidedly less so. My profile describes me as "Baptist who thinks the Catholics are onto something", but if pressed to give a specific denomination, I'd probably say Anglican. In fact, I've even felt God calling me to be Anglican.
So why don't I start attending an Anglican church and convert already? Well, the stuff going on between Episcopalians, Reformed Episcopalians, ACNA Anglicans, and Continuing Anglicans makes me hesitant to join any of those groups. I'd ask a question in the Anglican forum on here, but I don't know how I'd phrase the questions I want to ask without starting a brawl.
Also, my mom isn't too keen on my desire to start attending a different church, especially one that does things so differently from Baptists. Even though I am an adult, I'm still a college student living at home, so I'm respecting my mom's wishes for the time being. So I'm stuck being Baptist in name only for the time being.
TL;DR... Theology has changed what I believe, but parents and church politics have shaped where I go.

I feel like this is an inaccurate statement about a lot of Christian denominations. Many are based on ideas accumulated over time, or on decisions made by groups at Church councils. Also, it assumes people in every denomination have the exact same ideas about everything and never dissent from each other. I know Baptist ministers who disagree vehemently on different minutiae of doctrine, but they're still both Baptists.

I tend to use "we", "us", and "our" when talking about things in the various creeds (Apostles, Nicene, etc.). Things get tricky when it gets into Coptic Orthodoxy (and I think the rest of Oriental Orthodoxy) vs. pretty much everyone else on the whole monophysite vs. hypostatic union debacle, but otherwise that tends to work.
If I'm talking about something more specific, like interpretations of Revelation, etc., I'll get into the different ideas and say "[denomination a] believes [doctrine a], but [denomination b] believes [doctrine b]," but otherwise, that's my rule of thumb.
EDIT: And for my personal opinions, I try to remind people that it's just my understanding of the doctrine.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My family has never been a part of any denomination, really. My dad grew up in UCC and my mom was raised Catholic. When they got married, they joined a small UCC church which soon switched to non-denominational. After that, our family moved to a Presbyterian church and now currently a small denomination that grew out of the Anabaptist movement.

When I was in college, I attended a Baptist church.

For us, we just study the Bible as a way of life and we believe there is a balance between emotion and knowledge, and between joy and solemnity. When a church shifts to being all feel-good, seeker-friendly stuff or overly emotions-based, we get uncomfortable with that. The opposite is true, too, and was sometimes an issue for us at the Presbyterian church - rote liturgy without any joy hardly.

Also, if a church never opens the Bible and never encourages anyone to bring their own, there's something wrong...

I think people's frustration with their denominations could ultimately lead to some degree of unification. Salvation is what is mainly important, so if we can at least agree on how that happens, then we can get along okay. Unfortunately, that's not the case with every denomination, so we're not there yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟778,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I chose the Anglican church because that was where I was first taught the faith in Sunday school and where I started attending regular services.

I feel drawn to its moderate theology, its focus on scripture, reason and tradition, its wide variety of worship styles ranging from traditional to modern, from liturgical to charismatic.

But no church is "better" than another. Christians come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have their own styles of worship and their own doctrinal perspectives. I feel it is important that we have the humility of learning from each others experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
But no church is "better" than another. Christians come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have their own styles of worship and their own doctrinal perspectives. I feel it is important that we have the humility of learning from each others experiences.

That's actually another thing I like about Methodism. We are perfectly fine with someone joining another church or denomination if that's what helps them come to know Christ. God made all of us unique and so we all have unique spiritual needs, and one single denomination isn't going to meet all of those needs for everyone.

• Winner
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟778,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Why are traditions so important?
My answer would be because whether we realise it or not, tradition, along with reason and experience, has shaped our understanding of the Christian faith and what we believe.
To illustrate, we have the Nicene, Apostle and Athanasian creeds which are part of our rich Christian heritage and which have been passed on from generation to generation. Even these forums use the Nicene creed in its Statement of Faith.
Another example, is the doctrine of the trinity. The word trinity does not appear in scripture, but the early Christians, through tradition and experience and biblical exegesis came to understand the nature of God in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, which we believe in to the present day.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2019
Texas
✟46,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are traditions so important?
My answer would be because whether we realise it or not, tradition, along with reason and experience, has shaped our understanding of the Christian faith and what we believe.
To illustrate, we have the Nicene, Apostle and Athanasian creeds which are part of our rich Christian heritage and which have been passed on from generation to generation. Even these forums use the Nicene creed in its Statement of Faith.
Another example, is the doctrine of the trinity. The word trinity does not appear in scripture, but the early Christians, through tradition and experience and biblical exegesis came to understand the nature of God in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit, which we believe in to the present day.
I second this. I think we should value Scripture above Tradition, but Tradition is still important to keep in mind when dealing in theology.

I'd also like to say traditions that are practices rather than doctrines (Lent, Advent, etc.) are traditions for a reason. I've heard Lenten fasting described as a "spiritual check up", and I think that's pretty accurate. It's a good exercise in self-control, and a reminder of Christ's 40 days in the wilderness. Advent gives us time to step back from the excitement of Christmas and appreciate the coming of Christ and to better understand what Christmas means. These observances are physical and temporal, but we are physical and temporal beings too, at least partially.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can of worms springs to mind when i read the opening post.
My thought was that there is just too much being asked there for anyone to write a good answer. Unfortunately so, since the intention was understandable.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0