Dementia

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a question for the Homies!

So, I have a wonderful gal in the adult studies group that I facilitate every sunday. She is fun and great and awesome and stuff BUT, every now and then she seems to flip a switch "off" and becomes extremely disoriented and angry. Doesn't know what we are reading and has outbursts that a couple weeks ago, turned into swearing at me for something (incoherent).

I really don't have any idea how to work with her at all. I try to let it go but it is really beginning to affect others in the class. I have had a few private meetings with our Pastor and she isn't too sure how to go about this either as neither of us have had much dealings with dementia.

Does anyone have any input or advice for me?

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First....blessings to you for being this patient so far. What a joy it must bring her in her better moments to know that her church is there for her.

My step grandfather is in the final moments of his life and he has alzheimer's. Such a brutal disease. It robs people of so much...but especially of their dignity. I have no advice for you...just that I can imagine the predicament it puts you in. Does the woman come with anyone? I do hope she's not driving herself. Maybe you could talk to them or another member of the church to step in and help remove her from the class when she's really disruptive? I'll pray that you all find a solution.

BTW....I just started reading God In Search Of Man by Rabbi Heschel and your siggy is the opening paragraph. When I read it I thought...that's so familiar to me, where did I read that? lol

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First....blessings to you for being this patient so far. What a joy it must bring her in her better moments to know that her church is there for her.

Thanks B. She is a blessing and has blessed the Church with its great organ and piano.

My step grandfather is in the final moments of his life and he has alzheimer's. Such a brutal disease. It robs people of so much...but especially of their dignity. I have no advice for you...just that I can imagine the predicament it puts you in. Does the woman come with anyone? I do hope she's not driving herself. Maybe you could talk to them or another member of the church to step in and help remove her from the class when she's really disruptive? I'll pray that you all find a solution.
She comes to Church with her partner (I love older lesbian couples..so cute!) Her partner kinda sits there during her moments with a "deer in the headlights" kinda look. That's about it. I have tried to talk to her but she is in denial that her partner is getting worse....it is really sad. I feel so terrible over the situation.

BTW....I just started reading God In Search Of Man by Rabbi Heschel and your siggy is the opening paragraph. When I read it I thought...that's so familiar to me, where did I read that? lol
I LOVE that guy! How are you liking the book so far?

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The book is amazing.....I'm reading it with my highlighter in hand, that's a good sign,lol.

Sounds like the couple could benefit from some outside help like a support group. I can't imagine how scary it is to see your life partner slip away like that.

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The book is amazing.....I'm reading it with my highlighter in hand, that's a good sign,lol.

I am doing the same with the book I am reading "The man Jesus loved". Very heretical....right up my alley! :thumbsup:

Sounds like the couple could benefit from some outside help like a support group. I can't imagine how scary it is to see your life partner slip away like that.

They could definitely use some help.....but denial is the killer.

Upvote 0