Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Deliverance ministries have been criticised by many who believe that such ministries have no authority from God to perform exorcisms.

This is a controversial topic, so the main denominations have different views and opinions on how we are to understand it.

For example, the Roman Catholic Church has priests who are specially trained to perform exorcisms. While Evangelical Churches like mine, teach that Jesus only gave the authority to cast out Demons to the apostles alone. My Church teaches that we have no power or authority to cast out demons or bind Satan in any way.

We see examples in the Bible such as Acts 19:16 where others tried to cast a demon out of a man. They commanded the demon to come out of the man in the Name of Jesus and the apostle Paul. But they were brutally beaten and barely escaped with their lives. The demon did acknowledge the power of Jesus and Paul, but he said "who are you" before he beat them up.

The Bible does give us instructions on how to deal with Satan and His Demons, but none of it involves confronting Stan and the Demons. We are told in Ephesians 6:10-18 to run from them and put on the full armour of God to protect us from their attacks.

According to the Bible, Ephesians 4:27 tells us that our only defence against Satan is to not give Him a foothold in our lives. Jesus never instructed us to confront Satan and the Demons in any way. He just told us to run for our lives, since Satan is the most powerful creature in the universe.

It's amazing to see so many offering all kinds of rituals to liberate people from demon possession but they neglect to do the only thing which can liberate them, that being the preaching of the gospel.

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
We all seem to have Scriptures we can't accept.

"Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." Matt 10:8

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;" Mark 16:17

Some say no to deliverance because "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?" The next verse clears it up "23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:21-23

Though deliverance isn't to be taken lightly "When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

This means this person who has been delivered is empty because they haven't been filling themselves by reading Scripture. So it's vital to advise believers to read Scripture.
Matt 12:43-45 seems to be describing a religious person who attempts to clean up his life to make himself acceptable to God. We know that it's not possible for evil spirits to poses a believer.

Christians can be oppressed by demons, but they can never be possessed. We notice in Matt 7:21-23 many unbelievers coming before Christ claiming to have cast out demons in His Name. Demons do pretend to obey unbelievers and it may appear that these false professing Christians did cast out demons, but we should remember that Satan and His Demons are all about lies and deception. They will obey unbelievers in order to deceive them into thinking that they have some power of their own.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
The Bible does give us instructions on how to deal with Satan and His Demons, but none of it involves confronting Stan and the Demons. We are told in Ephesians 6:10-18 to run from them and put on the full armour of God to protect us from their attacks.
I am truly astonished at how you have twisted what Paul said in Eph6v10-18
Nowhere are we told to run from Satan.
Eph6v10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
If we are strong in the Lord and in his power, why would we run away?

11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
If we have his whole armour and are told to stand, how is that running away?

12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Does wrestling against the principalities and powers sound like running?

13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
This clearly proves we are to stand and fight, not run!

14Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Again, fighting talk, not running.

16above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
Our faith is our defence in the battle.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

The sword is in our hands to destroy the enemy, not run away.

18praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

Where did Paul tell us to run?

According to the Bible, Ephesians 4:27 tells us that our only defence against Satan is to not give Him a foothold in our lives.
But what do you do if Satan has already obtained that foothold and controls part of your life? Just changing your habits will never make Satan relinquish territory he considers his by right. The only way to get free is to violently cast him out.
Jesus never instructed us to confront Satan and the Demons in any way. He just told us to run for our lives, since Satan is the most powerful creature in the universe.
So Jesus told us to run for our lives? No wonder the church is so weak and effeminate when they teach such garbage!
Eph4v7Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
It's amazing to see so many offering all kinds of rituals to liberate people from demon possession
You've obviously been watching too much Hollywood, or Catholic mumbo jumbo. Casting demons out is exactly the same today as read in the gospels, by commanding them to get out in Jesus name, and all without ritual or ceremony. And I speak from years of experience.
but they neglect to do the only thing which can liberate them, that being the preaching of the gospel.
Sorry pal, go back and read your bible, and you will see that preaching of the gospel never ever cast demons out!

• Agree
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can all rebuke Satan in Jesus name. But it helps to be experienced. When we are oppressed or tempted we can all rebuke Satan.
But everything is not demons. In my life it’s mostly my evil flesh that can’t please God. It gets pretty rowdy. My thoughts and imaginations all want to lead me down the wrong road. The world the flesh and the devil are the main sources of evil. Rebuke the devil, take captive the thoughts and be in the world but not of it.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am truly astonished at how you have twisted what Paul said in Eph6v10-18
Nowhere are we told to run from Satan.
Eph6v10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
If we are strong in the Lord and in his power, why would we run away?

11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
If we have his whole armour and are told to stand, how is that running away?

12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Does wrestling against the principalities and powers sound like running?

13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
This clearly proves we are to stand and fight, not run!

14Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Again, fighting talk, not running.

16above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
Our faith is our defence in the battle.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

The sword is in our hands to destroy the enemy, not run away.

18praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

Where did Paul tell us to run?

But what do you do if Satan has already obtained that foothold and controls part of your life? Just changing your habits will never make Satan relinquish territory he considers his by right. The only way to get free is to violently cast him out.
So Jesus told us to run for our lives? No wonder the church is so weak and effeminate when they teach such garbage!
Eph4v7Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

You've obviously been watching too much Hollywood, or Catholic mumbo jumbo. Casting demons out is exactly the same today as read in the gospels, by commanding them to get out in Jesus name, and all without ritual or ceremony. And I speak from years of experience.

Sorry pal, go back and read your bible, and you will see that preaching of the gospel never ever cast demons out!
None of those verses you listed suggest that we fight Satan, you have twisted them to say something they don't. To put on the armour and stand in God's protection is not fighting, it's just standing there whole the enemy attacks you.
The fight is between God and Satan, we have ZERO power against the most powerful creature in the universe. To suggest that we fight Satan is not biblical and nothing short of heretical teaching.

Our warfare is not physical, it's entirely spiritual so we are to flee-run from temptation. The enemy uses temptation and false doctrine to destroy those who don't have the whole armour of God. The armour is given for our defence, the only offensive weapon is the sword which can't hurt Satan but it does cut through his web of lies and deception.

The apostles never gave us any instructions on how to cast out demons, since Jesus only gave them that power and it was never given to anyone else so they never had any authority to pass it on to others. To suggest that we can name the name of Christ and cast out demons is heresy. All we can do is preach the gospel to those who are possessed by demons and if they receive it they will be delivered by the Holy Spirit and not by our command.

You need to show us an example where anyone was delivered from demon possession, after the time of the apostles. That gift was revoked after they died, it was only given at that specif time to specific people and it has never been seen since that time.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of those verses you listed suggest that we fight Satan, you have twisted them to say something they don't. To put on the armour and stand in God's protection is not fighting, it's just standing there whole the enemy attacks you.
The fight is between God and Satan, we have ZERO power against the most powerful creature in the universe. To suggest that we fight Satan is not biblical and nothing short of heretical teaching.

Our warfare is not physical, it's entirely spiritual so we are to flee-run from temptation. The enemy uses temptation and false doctrine to destroy those who don't have the whole armour of God. The armour is given for our defence, the only offensive weapon is the sword which can't hurt Satan but it does cut through his web of lies and deception.

The apostles never gave us any instructions on how to cast out demons, since Jesus only gave them that power and it was never given to anyone else so they never had any authority to pass it on to others. To suggest that we can name the name of Christ and cast out demons is heresy. All we can do is preach the gospel to those who are possessed by demons and if they receive it they will be delivered by the Holy Spirit and not by our command.

You need to show us an example where anyone was delivered from demon possession, after the time of the apostles. That gift was revoked after they died, it was only given at that specif time to specific people and it has never been seen since that time.

What you propose is that we let the demons just stay with people, since you are not giving any solution to driving them away.

So, those intrusive thoughts i had and went away when God showed me an evil spirit and i drove it out in the name of Jesus? the difference was like day and night, i was tormented for some time with those thoughts, and now i didn't have them anymore, and they didn't returned either.

Same as other spiritual problems, but God needs to show the problems to you, if not you cannot know for sure.

This is a worst doctrine that even the prosperity gospel, at least if you give to God with a good heart you may get some benefits, but this... you are letting the devil do whatever he wants in your life and lifes of others that have spiritual problems, or you think the demons are not like in the bible disturbing people?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eph 6- God's armor We take it -we put it on
"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God..." "Put on the whole armour of God, ..."

Benefits include "...be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might." "... that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil" "Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." Eph 6:16

"Embrace the power of salvation’s full deliverance, like a helmet to protect your thoughts from lies. And take the mighty razor-sharp Spirit-sword of the spoken Word of God. Pray passionately in the Spirit, as you constantly intercede with every form of prayer at all times. Pray the blessings of God upon all his believers." TPT Eph 6:18

Armor up

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
You want some examples, then you should come and speak to the many people I know over this side of the pond whose lives have been changed by deliverance from Demons. But the historic record also proves my point.

"EVIDENCES OF DELIVERANCE IN EARLY CHURCH HISTORY - Casting out demons or evil spirits was routinely practiced in the early church.

Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book II, 32:4 (190 A.D.) - "For some (Christians do certainly and truly drive out devils, so that those who have thus been cleansed from evil spirits frequently both believe and join themselves to the church." DELIVERANCE is also implied to be done by Christians in Book II, 31:2.

Justin Martyr, Second Apology, Ch. 8 (153 A.D.) - This apology was addressed to the Roman Senate. "And they (demons), having been shut up in eternal fire, shall suffer their just punishment and penalty. For if they are even now overthrown by men through the Name of Jesus Christ, this is an intimation of the punishment in eternal fire which is to be inflicted on themselves and those who serve them."

Second Apology, Ch. 6 - "And now you (Roman Senate) can learn this from what is under your own observation. For numberless demoniacs throughout the whole world, and in your city, many of our Christian men exorcising them in the Name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, have healed and do heal, rendering helpless and driving the demons out of men, though they could not be cured by all the other exorcists, and those who used incantations and drugs."

Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho, a Jew, Ch. 30 (150 A.D.) - "For we call Him (Jesus) Helper and Redeemer, the power of whose name even the demons do fear; and at this day, when they are exorcised in the Name of Jesus Christ, they are overcome."

Dialogue With Trypho, Ch. 76 - "And now we, who believe on our Lord Jesus, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, when we exorcise all demons and evil spirits, have them subjected to us."

Dialogue With Trypho, Ch. 85 - "For every demon, when exorcised in the Name of this very Son of God...is overcome and subdued. But though you exorcise any demon in the name of any of those who were amongst you--either kings, righteous men, or prophets or patriarchs--it will not be subject to you. Now assuredly your (Jewish) exorcists, I have said, make use of this craft when they exorcise, even as the Gentiles do, and employ fumigations and incantations."

Tatian, Address of Tatian to the Greeks, Ch. 16 (160 A.D.) - "Sometimes they themselves (demons) disturb the habit of the body by a tempest of folly; but, being smitten by the Word of God, they depart in terror, and the sick man is healed."

Theophilus, Theophilus to Autolycus, Book II. 8 (160-180 A.D.) - Theophilus is refuting the false teachings of Homer and Hesiod who were famous Greek poets. "...And this clearly appears from the fact, that even to this day the demonized are sometimes exorcised in the Name of the living and true God and these spirits of error themselves confess that they are demons who also formerly inspired these writers (Homer and Hesiod)."

Tertullian, Apology, Ch. 23 (197 A.D.) - "Let a person be brought before your tribunals; who is plainly under demonic possession. The wicked spirit, BIDDEN TO SPEAK by a follower of Christ, will as readily make the truthful confession that he is a demon, as elsewhere he has falsely asserted that he is a god."

Tertullian, Apology, Ch. 37 - "Who would save you (Roman Rulers), I mean, from the attacks of those spirits of evil, which without reward or hire we (Christians) exorcise?"

Tertullian, To Scapula, Ch. 4 - "The clerk of one of the courts who was liable to be thrown upon the ground by an evil spirit, was set free from his affliction (by Christians); as was also the relative of another, and the little boy of a third. How many men of rank (to say nothing of common people) have been DELIVERED from demons, and healed of diseases?"

Minucius Felix, The Octavious of Minucius Felix (210 A.D.) - "A great many, even some of your own people, know all those things that the demons themselves confess concerning themselves, as often as they are driven by us (Christians) from bodies by the torments of our words and by the fires of our prayer." (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. IV, p. 190).

Origen, Against Celsus, Book I, 46 (230-254) A.D.) - "And there are still preserved among Christians traces of that Holy Spirit which appeared in the form of a dove. The Christians expel evil spirits, and perform many cures, and foresee certain events, according to the will of the Logos."

Against Celsus, Book I, 67 - "And the Name of Jesus can still remove distractions from the minds of men, and expel demons, and also take away diseases and produce a complete change of character..."

Lactentius, The Divine Institutes, Book II, 16 (250-320 A.D.) - "But they (demons) fear the righteous, that is, the worshipers of God, adjured by whose name they depart from the bodies (of people); for being lashed by the Christians' words, they not only confess to be demons, but even utter their own names." Also DELIVERANCE is mentioned in Book V., 22, and in The Epitome of the Divine Institutes, Ch. 51. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecturer, 16:12 (350-375 A.D.) - "For He (Holy Spirit) employs the tongue of one man for wisdom; the soul of another He enlightens by prophecy, to another He gives power to drive away demons..."

The Divine Institutes, Book V, 22 - "For these (demons), as long as there is peace among the people of God, flee from the righteous, and fear them; and when they seize upon the bodies of men, and house their souls, they are adjured by the Christians, and at the Name of the true God are put to flight. For when the demons hear of this name they tremble, cry out, and assert that they are branded and beaten; and being asked who they are, whence they are come, and how they have insinuated themselves INTO a man, confess it. Thus, being tortured and excruciated by the power of the Divine Name, they come out of the man."
Deliverance has been practiced throughout Church history wherever men are led by the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
couple that shows enemy influences:
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

This one has affected everyone -
"...for their minds have been blinded by the god of this age, leaving them in unbelief. Their blindness keeps them from seeing the dayspring light of the wonderful news of the glory of Jesus Christ, who is the divine image of God." II Cor 4:4

This version should help understand Acts 19:13
"Now, there were seven itinerant Jewish exorcists, sons of Sceva the high priest, who took it upon themselves to use the name and authority of Jesus over those who were demonized. They would say, “We cast you out in the name of the Jesus that Paul preaches!”

They said what Jesus' followers were saying. But there were consequences because the exorcists didn't know Jesus and believe in Him. Jesus said "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;..." They followed the how - the instruction but missed or ignored the who "...them that believe..." who had the power and authority to do so. Also, "I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in Me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father." John 14:12

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What you propose is that we let the demons just stay with people, since you are not giving any solution to driving them away.

So, those intrusive thoughts i had and went away when God showed me an evil spirit and i drove it out in the name of Jesus? the difference was like day and night, i was tormented for some time with those thoughts, and now i didn't have them anymore, and they didn't returned either.

Same as other spiritual problems, but God needs to show the problems to you, if not you cannot know for sure.

This is a worst doctrine that even the prosperity gospel, at least if you give to God with a good heart you may get some benefits, but this... you are letting the devil do whatever he wants in your life and lifes of others that have spiritual problems, or you think the demons are not like in the bible disturbing people?
If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that God has no power over evil spirits but you do.

If God can't save a person from an evil spirit, then I give up. What makes you believe the the Gospel is dead and powerless. God's Word tells us that it is the power onto salvation. So if a possessed person reject the gospel then they are already condemned, but if they receive the gospel then the Holy Spirit indwells them and the demons run like hell.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
None of those verses you listed suggest that we fight Satan, you have twisted them to say something they don't.
The plain text tells us to fight, and you cannot escape that wrestling means close contact fighting!
Eph6v12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Our enemies are non physical, spiritual entities in the heavenly realm.
To put on the armour and stand in God's protection is not fighting, it's just standing there whole the enemy attacks you.
We are given the armour and shield to defend ourselves, but the sword of the Spirit is an attack weapon to destroy them.
Jesus never cast demons out by his own power, but cast them out demons by the Spirit of God.
Matt12v28But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.
I have in me the same Spirit that Jesus had, and I cast out demons the same as he did, by the power of the Spirit.
Acts1v8But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Our warfare is not physical, it's entirely spiritual so we are to flee-run from temptation.
Show me where we are instructed to flee demons.
The apostles never gave us any instructions on how to cast out demons, since Jesus only gave them that power and it was never given to anyone else so they never had any authority to pass it on to others.
See post No 10
To suggest that we can name the name of Christ and cast out demons is heresy. All we can do is preach the gospel to those who are possessed by demons and if they receive it they will be delivered by the Holy Spirit and not by our command.
Nowhere does it say preaching the gospel drives out demons.
I have cast countless demons out of Christians, all who had previously heard the gospel yet remained bound and tormented by demons.
Theological nonsense, with church history proving you wrong. (See post No 10.)
But if you want examples, I have had many demons cast out of me in the last 40 years.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
You want some examples, then you should come and speak to the many people I know over this side of the pond whose lives have been changed by deliverance from Demons. But the historic record also proves my point.

"EVIDENCES OF DELIVERANCE IN EARLY CHURCH HISTORY - Casting out demons or evil spirits was routinely practiced in the early church.

Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book II, 32:4 (190 A.D.) - "For some (Christians do certainly and truly drive out devils, so that those who have thus been cleansed from evil spirits frequently both believe and join themselves to the church." DELIVERANCE is also implied to be done by Christians in Book II, 31:2.

Justin Martyr, Second Apology, Ch. 8 (153 A.D.) - This apology was addressed to the Roman Senate. "And they (demons), having been shut up in eternal fire, shall suffer their just punishment and penalty. For if they are even now overthrown by men through the Name of Jesus Christ, this is an intimation of the punishment in eternal fire which is to be inflicted on themselves and those who serve them."

Second Apology, Ch. 6 - "And now you (Roman Senate) can learn this from what is under your own observation. For numberless demoniacs throughout the whole world, and in your city, many of our Christian men exorcising them in the Name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, have healed and do heal, rendering helpless and driving the demons out of men, though they could not be cured by all the other exorcists, and those who used incantations and drugs."

Justin Martyr, Dialogue With Trypho, a Jew, Ch. 30 (150 A.D.) - "For we call Him (Jesus) Helper and Redeemer, the power of whose name even the demons do fear; and at this day, when they are exorcised in the Name of Jesus Christ, they are overcome."

Dialogue With Trypho, Ch. 76 - "And now we, who believe on our Lord Jesus, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, when we exorcise all demons and evil spirits, have them subjected to us."

Dialogue With Trypho, Ch. 85 - "For every demon, when exorcised in the Name of this very Son of God...is overcome and subdued. But though you exorcise any demon in the name of any of those who were amongst you--either kings, righteous men, or prophets or patriarchs--it will not be subject to you. Now assuredly your (Jewish) exorcists, I have said, make use of this craft when they exorcise, even as the Gentiles do, and employ fumigations and incantations."

Tatian, Address of Tatian to the Greeks, Ch. 16 (160 A.D.) - "Sometimes they themselves (demons) disturb the habit of the body by a tempest of folly; but, being smitten by the Word of God, they depart in terror, and the sick man is healed."

Theophilus, Theophilus to Autolycus, Book II. 8 (160-180 A.D.) - Theophilus is refuting the false teachings of Homer and Hesiod who were famous Greek poets. "...And this clearly appears from the fact, that even to this day the demonized are sometimes exorcised in the Name of the living and true God and these spirits of error themselves confess that they are demons who also formerly inspired these writers (Homer and Hesiod)."

Tertullian, Apology, Ch. 23 (197 A.D.) - "Let a person be brought before your tribunals; who is plainly under demonic possession. The wicked spirit, BIDDEN TO SPEAK by a follower of Christ, will as readily make the truthful confession that he is a demon, as elsewhere he has falsely asserted that he is a god."

Tertullian, Apology, Ch. 37 - "Who would save you (Roman Rulers), I mean, from the attacks of those spirits of evil, which without reward or hire we (Christians) exorcise?"

Tertullian, To Scapula, Ch. 4 - "The clerk of one of the courts who was liable to be thrown upon the ground by an evil spirit, was set free from his affliction (by Christians); as was also the relative of another, and the little boy of a third. How many men of rank (to say nothing of common people) have been DELIVERED from demons, and healed of diseases?"

Minucius Felix, The Octavious of Minucius Felix (210 A.D.) - "A great many, even some of your own people, know all those things that the demons themselves confess concerning themselves, as often as they are driven by us (Christians) from bodies by the torments of our words and by the fires of our prayer." (The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. IV, p. 190).

Origen, Against Celsus, Book I, 46 (230-254) A.D.) - "And there are still preserved among Christians traces of that Holy Spirit which appeared in the form of a dove. The Christians expel evil spirits, and perform many cures, and foresee certain events, according to the will of the Logos."

Against Celsus, Book I, 67 - "And the Name of Jesus can still remove distractions from the minds of men, and expel demons, and also take away diseases and produce a complete change of character..."

Lactentius, The Divine Institutes, Book II, 16 (250-320 A.D.) - "But they (demons) fear the righteous, that is, the worshipers of God, adjured by whose name they depart from the bodies (of people); for being lashed by the Christians' words, they not only confess to be demons, but even utter their own names." Also DELIVERANCE is mentioned in Book V., 22, and in The Epitome of the Divine Institutes, Ch. 51. Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecturer, 16:12 (350-375 A.D.) - "For He (Holy Spirit) employs the tongue of one man for wisdom; the soul of another He enlightens by prophecy, to another He gives power to drive away demons..."

The Divine Institutes, Book V, 22 - "For these (demons), as long as there is peace among the people of God, flee from the righteous, and fear them; and when they seize upon the bodies of men, and house their souls, they are adjured by the Christians, and at the Name of the true God are put to flight. For when the demons hear of this name they tremble, cry out, and assert that they are branded and beaten; and being asked who they are, whence they are come, and how they have insinuated themselves INTO a man, confess it. Thus, being tortured and excruciated by the power of the Divine Name, they come out of the man."
Deliverance has been practiced throughout Church history wherever men are led by the Holy Spirit.
Every saved person has been delivered from demonic influence or possession. But they weren't delivered by men commanding the evil spirits to depart, in the Name of Christ. Every single delivered/saved person, was saved by hearing the gospel preached.

While I respect the writings of those men you listed above, they don't hold any divine authority and their writings are not inspired scripture. So we can't accept their observations as being a true and accurate historical accounts.

We have the completed canon of Holy Scripture, which deals with this and every other problem we encounter. So we don't need to look to fallen men, who add their tainted views to God perfect inerrant Word.

The Bible is very clear about his particular subject, the only instructions we are given regarding dealing with Satan and Demons is to preach the gospel to them and those who may be oppressed or possessed by them.
What did Jesus do when He was being oppressed by Satan, who was trying to posses Him. He did exactly the same thing as He instructs us to do and that's to simply preach Holy Scripture.

The Word of God is the most powerful force in the universe. It can pickup mountains and cast them into the sea, so dealing with demons is no big deal.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The plain text tells us to fight, and you cannot escape that wrestling means close contact fighting!
Eph6v12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Our enemies are non physical, spiritual entities in the heavenly realm.

We are given the armour and shield to defend ourselves, but the sword of the Spirit is an attack weapon to destroy them.

Jesus never cast demons out by his own power, but cast them out demons by the Spirit of God.
Matt12v28But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you.
I have in me the same Spirit that Jesus had, and I cast out demons the same as he did, by the power of the Spirit.
Acts1v8But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Show me where we are instructed to flee demons.

See post No 10

Nowhere does it say preaching the gospel drives out demons.
I have cast countless demons out of Christians, all who had previously heard the gospel yet remained bound and tormented by demons.

Theological nonsense, with church history proving you wrong. (See post No 10.)
But if you want examples, I have had many demons cast out of me in the last 40 years.
None of that is biblical, it's just your personal opinion. The Bible tells us to fee temptation and the Bible tells us who the tempter is, I'm surprised you never knew this basic Bible teaching.

You have absolutely ZERO power to fight evil spirits or command them to do anything. One spirit killed 186,000 Assyrian soldiers but he couldn't defeat Satan after fighting Him for 21 days straight. So it's ludicrous to suggest that a fallen flesh and blood sinner can take on even the weakest of all spirits, let alone the most powerful creature in the universe.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would be so brazen as to make such ludicrous claims.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Every saved person has been delivered from demonic influence or possession.
This is just not true. If every saved person has been delivered, why are so many still under demonic control? And why are there so many warnings in scripture of what Satan is doing to believers, if he has no power?
But they weren't delivered by men commanding the evil spirits to depart, in the Name of Christ. Every single delivered/saved person, was saved by hearing the gospel preached.
If just preaching the gospel alone casts demons out, why did Jesus and the disciples have to do both, ie. first preaching, and then quite separately casting demons out when needed. If the preaching of Jesus himself didn't cast the demons out, why do you imagine it will today?
While I respect the writings of those men you listed above, they don't hold any divine authority and their writings are not inspired scripture. So we can't accept their observations as being a true and accurate historical accounts.
You asked for evidence, and then reject it because it's not scripture.
But no matter, there are countless examples today of Christians having demons cast out,including myself.
We have the completed canon of Holy Scripture, which deals with this and every other problem we encounter. So we don't need to look to fallen men, who add their tainted views to God perfect inerrant Word.
And your words are certainly tainting the scriptures.
The Bible is very clear about his particular subject, the only instructions we are given regarding dealing with Satan and Demons is to preach the gospel to them and those who may be oppressed or possessed by them.
Show me where it tells us that preaching the gospel casts demons out.
What did Jesus do when He was being oppressed by Satan, who was trying to posses Him. He did exactly the same thing as He instructs us to do and that's to simply preach Holy Scripture.
There was never any chance that Satan would possess Jesus, but all men are vulnerable to demonic intrusion, which is why we must drive them out. But as Jesus and the apostles showed, they are commanded to leave.
The Word of God is the most powerful force in the universe. It can pickup mountains and cast them into the sea, so dealing with demons is no big deal.
So tell me how many mountains, or pebbles, or even feathers, you've picked up using the word of God. And also tell me how many demons you've cast out.

One thing you cannot run from is that Jesus preached the gospel, and then drove demons out as an entirely separate thing, making it abundantly clear that even his preaching the gospel did not of itself drive demons out.

• Winner
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every saved person has been delivered from demonic influence or possession. But they weren't delivered by men commanding the evil spirits to depart, in the Name of Christ. Every single delivered/saved person, was saved by hearing the gospel preached.

Just give up this doctrine please, is far from reality, the reality is christians can have spiritual problems, you can see this with your own eyes in things christians write about in this very forum, and sometimes we need to deal with them with the help of God in prayer or confronting the evil spirits in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
None of that is biblical, it's just your personal opinion. The Bible tells us to fee temptation and the Bible tells us who the tempter is, I'm surprised you never knew this basic Bible teaching.
Resisting Satan has absolutely nothing to do with temptation.
We overcome him by the blood of the Lamb.
You have absolutely ZERO power to fight evil spirits or command them to do anything. One spirit killed 186,000 Assyrian soldiers but he couldn't defeat Satan after fighting Him for 21 days straight. So it's ludicrous to suggest that a fallen flesh and blood sinner can take on even the weakest of all spirits, let alone the most powerful creature in the universe.
Our spiritual status is far above Satan. We are seated in Christ Jesus at the right hand of God.
Eph2v4But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), 6and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.
Our authority over the demons is not earthly, but heavenly, where Christ is.
Our position is above the angels!

• Winner
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting that God has no power over evil spirits but you do.

If God can't save a person from an evil spirit, then I give up. What makes you believe the the Gospel is dead and powerless. God's Word tells us that it is the power onto salvation. So if a possessed person reject the gospel then they are already condemned, but if they receive the gospel then the Holy Spirit indwells them and the demons run like hell.

First you can't even know if you have an evil spirit by yourself, you can suspect you have them but not discern them without help of God, God needs to show you, also we can't drive out the evil spirit with our own authority/strenght, no way, you need God grace and authority.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This is just not true. If every saved person has been delivered, why are so many still under demonic control? And why are there so many warnings in scripture of what Satan is doing to believers, if he has no power?

If just preaching the gospel alone casts demons out, why did Jesus and the disciples have to do both, ie. first preaching, and then quite separately casting demons out when needed. If the preaching of Jesus himself didn't cast the demons out, why do you imagine it will today?

You asked for evidence, and then reject it because it's not scripture.
But no matter, there are countless examples today of Christians having demons cast out,including myself.

And your words are certainly tainting the scriptures.

Show me where it tells us that preaching the gospel casts demons out.

There was never any chance that Satan would possess Jesus, but all men are vulnerable to demonic intrusion, which is why we must drive them out. But as Jesus and the apostles showed, they are commanded to leave.

So tell me how many mountains, or pebbles, or even feathers, you've picked up using the word of God. And also tell me how many demons you've cast out.

One thing you cannot run from is that Jesus preached the gospel, and then drove demons out as an entirely separate thing, making it abundantly clear that even his preaching the gospel did not of itself drive demons out.
To answer your first question, I need to expose the false pretence you started with and then made a claim under that false pretence.
You suggested that a Christian can be possessed by an evil spirit, this is a flat out lie as it's impossible for an unclean spirit to possess a Christian. How can the Holy spirit and an evil spirit inhabit the same soul. It's just outrageous that anyone who read the bible would make such a false claim.
The second big problem with your theology is, you ignore that fact that Satan and His Demons have been bound so they can't posses anyone unless some fool invites them to. Have you forgotten that time in Mark 3:27 when Jesus tied up Satan so he can no longer have access to believers.

The cold hard fact is Satan has been bound for 2000 years, so we don't need to have any exorcism skills as possession of believers ceased when Jesus bound Satan. I'm sure some reprobate people who call themselves Christian and fool many, can be possessed as usual. But Christ didn't come to save them, so they are easy pickings for Satan and His Demons.

I've never heard of a single case of a Christian being possessed or deceived by Satan or Demons in the past 2000 years. Our pastor has preached many sermons on this topic and he his position is backed by God's Word. So I have to take God at His word and reject your claims as being false.

Satan and His Demons need to ask God for permission, before they can do anything at all. What on earth makes you think that God would allow scum like that to hurt His people. To accuse God of such a thing is akin to blasphemy, for which there is no forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Just give up this doctrine please, is far from reality, the reality is christians can have spiritual problems, you can see this with your own eyes in things christians write about in this very forum, and sometimes we need to deal with them with the help of God in prayer or confronting the evil spirits in the name of Jesus.
It sounds like you have confused "oppression" with "possession". Demonic oppression is good and necessary for Christians to grow stronger. We can think of it as spiritual exercise, but possession is impossible. No Christian has ever been possessed since the Church began 2000 years ago.

The Jewish phrases accused Jesus of being a prince of Demons and He made it very clear that it's impossible for light and darkness to coexist in the same person. So for anyone to suggest otherwise is to call Jesus a liar. This only leaves one possibility and that is those who claim to be Christian and Demon possessed at the same time are liars.

Upvote 0