Definition of Friend.

B

BlueBright

:wave: :wave:

I find that I am always calling a friend of mine and she never calls me unless she needs something from me (like a reference or something)...when I suggest that we go out...she's always too busy....it has been 2 years since we have actually seen eachother....I call her on the phone and she cuts it short and says she will get back to me, but doesn't. The only time she does is when she needs the reference letter...

My sister has a lot of friends, yet they aren't the type of friends that I want because she really controls these people...and they seem to be more like toadies than friends and she manipulates them to get things.....and talks behinds all of their backs...I know personal things about all of them
that I told my sister I didn't want or need to know.

It would be nice to have a friend who
liked you and accepted who you were and a friend who wasn't simply with you because they wanted something from you, but someone who just liked spending time with you.

Please pray that I can find a friend like that: (where we can remember eachother's birthday, where we are happy with eachother's successes, where we bring out the best in eachother).....

What is your definition of a good friend?????:scratch:

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
BB first super :hug: to you a true friend! Am sowwy you haven't yet found others to appreciate your sincere heart! Our loving God Most High will certainly answer your special birthday prayer! :D Ask and you shall receive! :thumbsup: :amen:

F...faithful
R...responsive
I...interested
E...eager
N...nurturing
D...devoted

Put your age up, so people know how old you are...may help you meet a friend. ;)

Upvote 0

joes87gt

May 12, 2005
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
HumbleBee said:
F...faithful
R...responsive
I...interested
E...eager
N...nurturing
D...devoted

I have to agree with the definition above. "freinds" are very hard to come by, and for the past couple of years I've been weeding my true friends out from the not so true frends.. is my freind base getting smaller? never, I always meet new people and make freinds where ever I go.

Upvote 0

melissa18_05

Apr 6, 2005
Kentucky
✟7,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
to me a true friend is one that doesnt see the bad in you but the good.. let me make that clear they dont judge your wrongdoings but they help... also a true friend would take the time to call you just to say hello and how are you... they are always there whatever the circumstances...

Upvote 0

LavendarVanilla

Nov 8, 2004
✟15,637.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
HumbleBee said:
F...faithful
R...responsive
I...interested
E...eager
N...nurturing
D...devoted

I like this! Can I add to it?

“What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies.”—Aristotle

You can have a lot of acquaintances, but only a few people will become your best friends. These are kindred spirits, much like David and Jonathan, whose souls were “knit together.” Friendships like this will endure, even though the intensity of the friendship will ebb and flow over time.

A true friend stabs you in the front.”—Oscar Wilde

Leave it to Oscar Wilde to lay out an important truth with such wry humor. A true friend is one who helps you see the truth, even if it hurts. This doesn’t mean we can go around stabbing our friends with hurtful words. Rather, it means being up front with friends about important issues, raising gentle questions with tact and love, never gossiping or putting them down to others behind their backs.

“I do not wish to treat friendships daintily, but with the roughest courage. When they are real, they are not glass threads or frost-work, but the solidest thing we know.”—Ralph Waldo Emerson

Real friendships don’t just happen, and they aren’t maintenance free. Ask questions both in conversation with your friend and when you’re alone: “How would you describe our friendship?” “What is God doing in each of us, separately and together?” “How can we help each other become all God wants us to be?”

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What a great question.

I learned a couple of years ago, what a true friend was. A true friend accepts you faults, and all, and loves you regardless. A true friend will be right by your side when the things in your life get so bad it feels like people are driving nails in your coffin. Basically a true friend is there when you need them, they are dependable when times get tough. They also have an intrest in the cares of your life, and do not use or exploit you for their benefit.

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
JESUS IS THE ULTIMATE TRUE FRIEND! :D :amen:
John 15:13-14 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are My friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Proverbs 18:24 ...there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. :hug:

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

Upvote 0

HumbleBee

Jan 8, 2004
✟3,212.00
Faith
Christian
Found this...

A true friend is someone who will stay by your side
During high or low tides
A friend is someone who will tell you the truth
Comfort you when it hurts.
A true friend always has your best interest at heart
Will discipline you when you get upstart
A true friend shares your pains, ups and downs
A true friend will tell you when you’re wrong;
Will be that shoulder to cry on
When you feel you’re no longer strong.
A true friend will listen and voice their opinions
Will let you know when they disagree
With some of your definitions.
Will accept your disagreements
And offer their compliments.
A true friend will not judge you
Will advise and show you what to do.
A true friend is hard to come by
Someone who can hold you
And allow you to cry.
We all need a true friend in our life
Someone who can help us overcome nature’s strife.
I am very blessed to say
I do have a true friend today.
Someone who I can depend on
You know who you are
For you gave me the inspiration, to write
This poem with great care.
I love you my friend
And I hope God will keep us together
Until the end.

More Bible verses:

Psalm 119:63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Proverbs 22:11 He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend.

Proverbs 27:6 Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.

Proverbs 27:9 Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

3 John 1:11 Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good is from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What is your definition of a good friend?????

A good friend is an honest companion which enjoys our company and seeks our long term benefit .

A good friend is one who is kind and fair , unassuming and considerate , cheerful and helpful .

A good friend is a reflection of the virtue which radiates from a sacred place within ourself .

A good friend is someone who receives us with the same agreeable nature that we project unto them .

A good friend is a reciprocator of a sweet disposition being magnifed in the light of the hope of faith in the spirit of charity .

A good friend is one who inspires unselfishness as sheer delight .

A good friend is as versatile as love enables and steadfastness allows .

A good friend laughs with us , not at us .

A good friend takes pleasure in doing good .

A good friend shares freely what God has given them .

A good friend sacrifices personal preferences in times of need .

A good friend is truthful and loving , never one without the other .

A good friend is one in whom God's goodness is continually befriended .

A good friend cannot be bought , nor bribed , for their eyes are upon the real and lasting treasures .

A good friend is patient , but usually on time ; concerned , yet not to the point of prying ; encouraging , but not as a flatterer ; understanding , yet without offering hollow excuses on our behalf ; reliable , but leaving us space to do our part ; attentive , yet without smothering ; and comforting , but not as though we have attained perfection already .

A good friend is a gift , and a reward , for giving our friendship where it can be received and appreciated .

And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend.... <-----> Exodus 33:11

He that speaketh flattery to his friends, even the eyes of his children shall fail. <-----> Job 17:5

The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends. <-----> Proverbs 14:20

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. <-----> Proverbs 18:24

Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. <-----> Proverbs 27:17

His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem. <-----> Song of Solomon 5:16

Trust ye not in a friend, put ye not confidence in a guide: keep the doors of thy mouth from her that lieth in thy bosom.
For the son dishonoureth the father, the daughter riseth up against her mother, the daughter in law against her mother in law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house.
Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me.
<-----> Micah 7:5-7

And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. <-----> Zechariah 13:6

And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
<-----> Luke 12:4+5

And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations. <-----> Luke 16:9

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
<-----> John 15:13-15

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. <-----> James 2:23

May The Lord Be Pleased To Bless Us With His Holy Friendship . Amen .

wm

Upvote 0
B

BlueBright

I recently asked someone to be my friend and they said no without
saying no. I would rather have someone just tell me no than string me along with, "Maybe I'll see you sometime."

I am a very loyal person, a dog person really, but I'm autistic, a high
functioning autistic person, not like Rainman, but I guess it is not socially
acceptable to ask someone to be your friend when you are 30 years old
and a female. I get along better with guys and as a child I always had
guys as friends but now I can't make guy friends and they just want to hit
on me and it makes me feel lonely.

I think I might have a friend, a really nice Chinese lady who is a Christian
but I didn't come out and ask her to be my friend this time.

Are there any suggestions on how to make a friend with a kind person?

:angel:

Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Wow!! You've all said some great things about what it means to have a good friend. I've actually been thinking about the meaning of this word (friend) recently. Throughout my life, I've been pretty friendly. And, have had a lot of people in my life. Not all were friends.

I've never really come out and asked someone to be my friend. I just called them, or talked to them, and friendships developed (or didn't develop). The male-female thing is harder to develop than female-female (and probably also male-male), as it's not always determined by both of them that they want to be just friends. I have several male friends. We both know that this is all it will be, ever.

One lady friend prayed with me shortly after we met. She prayed that we would always be friends. When we had a disagreement once, we still remained friends after this.

Not everyone who says they're your friend really is there for you when you need help. I'm also not always there for everyone who wants my help. I'd be worn out if I tried to do that.

I keep wanting more friends, because I love people. However, just as I don't always have time for everyone, neither do others always have time for one more friend (me). I have to understand that, and not take it personal.

Ann

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ann Doupont said:
I keep wanting more friends, because I love people. However, just as I don't always have time for everyone, neither do others always have time for one more friend (me). I have to understand that, and not take it personal.

Ann

Me too Ann,

And I want good friends. No, let me restate that. I need good friends, because I don't think any of us can make it alone. I spent a long time suffering with social anxiety. It caused me to be very isolated, and not able to develop good frienships. That is a miserable way to live!

Upvote 0

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
I heard an illustration recently of what a good friend is. In the 1936 Olympics, Hitler bragged that he had the best athletes in the world. Representing the US in the Olympics that year was a man who you have probably heard before, Jesse Owens. Jesse had recently befriended one of the German athletes. When it came to the long jump, Owens made a practice jump in his sweat suit. What he didn’t know was that this was, in fact, his first official jump. This left him annoyed and he fouled on his next jump. Frustrated and angry, his German friend came up to him and told him what he was doing wrong, he told him to "Jump 2 feet before the line" On his third jump he qualified for the final and set a new Olympic record. Owens' only serious competition in the final came from German Luz Long (his German friend). By the fifth round the two men were tied at exactly twenty five feet, ten and a half inches. On his final jump Owens ended up at twenty six feet, five and a half inches to grab the gold. The German took the silver medal. The two athletes, one black and one white, then embraced, strolling around the stadium arm in arm. This was definitely not the picture that the Nazis had envisioned.

A friend is one who will be for you when everyone else is against you. The one who believes in you when no one else will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here's the roots of the English word - friend

Main Entry: 1friend
Pronunciation: 'frend
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English frend, from Old English frEond; akin to Old High German friunt friend, Old English frEon to love, frEo free .

Meaning , one who is loved or who loves freely .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are some Greek words which mean friend , or describe the nature of friendship .

G5368
&#966;&#953;&#955;&#949;&#769;&#969;
phileo&#772;
fil-eh'-o
From G5384; to be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), that is, have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while G25 is wider, embracing especially the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as G2309 and G1014, or as G2372 and G3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head); specifically to kiss (as a mark of tenderness): - kiss, love.

G5384
&#966;&#953;&#769;&#955;&#959;&#962;
philos
fee'-los
Properly dear, that is, a friend; actively fond, that is, friendly (still as a noun, an associate, neighbor, etc.): - friend.

G25
&#945;&#787;&#947;&#945;&#960;&#945;&#769;&#969;
agapao&#772;
ag-ap-ah'-o
Perhaps from &#945;&#787;&#769;&#947;&#945;&#957; agan (much; or compare [H5689]); to love (in a social or moral sense): - (be-) love (-ed). Compare G5368.

Upvote 0

Ann Doupont

Veteran
Dec 25, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟10,009.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What I'm finding is that not everyone who says they're your friend, really is. I just received an email today from someone I've known somewhat for many years. I thought we were friends.

Today, I realize that he is very bitter toward most Christians (so that leaves me out). He is a Christian. Was a ministry for over 20 years. Went to prison for 10 years, for crime I don't think he committed. I did think so, at first. But, then the Lord dealt with me about it.

He was released just over a year ago. I'd been wanting to see him again. Just got an email that he doesn't want to meet with me when I go to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks. He doesn't want to hear anything about the church. He's doing better (or so he says) with his artist friends.

Well, okay. I can handle that. At least, now I know (that he's not really my friend). I told him I'm not going to write to him again, unless he gets a better attitude toward people. It is okay to put boundaries up.

Ann

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ann Doupont said:
What I'm finding is that not everyone who says they're your friend, really is. I just received an email today from someone I've known somewhat for many years. I thought we were friends.

Today, I realize that he is very bitter toward most Christians (so that leaves me out). He is a Christian. Was a ministry for over 20 years. Went to prison for 10 years, for crime I don't think he committed. I did think so, at first. But, then the Lord dealt with me about it.

He was released just over a year ago. I'd been wanting to see him again. Just got an email that he doesn't want to meet with me when I go to the Bay Area in a couple of weeks. He doesn't want to hear anything about the church. He's doing better (or so he says) with his artist friends.

Well, okay. I can handle that. At least, now I know (that he's not really my friend). I told him I'm not going to write to him again, unless he gets a better attitude toward people. It is okay to put boundaries up.

Ann

Ann,

Granted I don't know this person you are speaking of, but when I read what you had to say, I just wanted to respond. Your friend has been through a very horrible experience. If he in deed did not commit the crime, the I am sure that he feels betrayed and let down by a lot of people. That and just the jail experience, I am sure is very traumatic, and leaves some very nasty wounds that will take a long time to heal.

It is sad that your friend is pushing you away. However, what he needs is a lot of prayer,and hopefully in due time the love of God will heal him, and he will open up an allow Christian people back into his life to love him as well.

So, maybe it's not that is is/ was not your friend. Maybe it just that is has been through such a bad expericence that he doesn't know how to deal with it, that he just pushed everyone away, that he used to know?

Upvote 0