Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Unless you are independantly wealthy, what pays off $100k in school loans? To get a PHD, often you are looking at at least 100 large.

If i had a child and they wanted to go to school, i wouldn't pay for them to get a psch degree. Why? Because it can be hard to live on and $500 dollar a month payments on school loans for the next 20 years, really sucks!!

I don't have any school loans, but if I did, that would not be any of your business, nor would it be on topic with this thread. It is quite possible to get through school without loans, without being independently wealthy, and without having wealthy parents. My Dad did it.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The ones that I get all the time after telling people I want to be a teacher is "Bless your heart/ soul" and "Why? You're too smart to be a teacher" Too smart?! How exactly do you think I got that way?

I have nothing but respect for teachers. It really grinds my gears when I hear people bashing them; especially when they use that stupid quote "those who can't do, teach". That's such a bunch of crap; I truly believe that people who say things like that have serious insecurity issues and feel the need to put down others in order to build themselves up. Those who are truly self confident do not resort to belittling others.

Upvote 0

stonewalljon

Jan 17, 2006
Ottawa
✟8,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yeah i have had to defend my choce of becoming a Police Officer// i have to admit it was a last minuet switch, befre that i was going to go into the trades and become a stone mason. But I realy felt God was calling me to something else, and i felt the calling to a course called "Police Foundations" @ Algonquin College, so that is where i am going in Septmber.:)Jon

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't have any school loans, but if I did, that would not be any of your business, nor would it be on topic with this thread. It is quite possible to get through school without loans, without being independently wealthy, and without having wealthy parents. My Dad did it.

I did it to. My grandparents gave me 30k and i earned another 40k. LOL

For a white male, thats how much school costs at a middle of the road private school.

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless you are independantly wealthy, what pays off $100k in school loans? To get a PHD, often you are looking at at least 100 large.

If i had a child and they wanted to go to school, i wouldn't pay for them to get a psch degree. Why? Because it can be hard to live on and $500 dollar a month payments on school loans for the next 20 years, really sucks!!

Your words are not just discouraging to me, but to others as well who may seek Ph.D's out there in other fields. Getting a Ph.D. isn't always about money, it's about furthering your education and your thinking. You can choose not to pay for your child's education, and they can choose to finance it some other way. A degree in psychology isn't so bad, I don't understand why it's being bashed:cry: A really useless degree (I may offend some, but honestly!) is something like dance or art. What are you going to do with that?

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dont worry about what other people think

The Apostle Paul never did.

Also, there are two sides to this, you cant complain about your job either if you dont want others hassling you about it. Im not saying you are, its just the other side of the coin that usually gets overlooked.

Upvote 0

ConcreteAngel

Oct 25, 2006
✟15,750.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Pardon my Aussie ignorance, but does it cost a lot of money to go to a good uni in the US? Here, fees are set by the Government and that's all it costs you no matter which uni you go to. As a uni student you are involved in what is called a Higher Education Contribution Scheme which means that the Government foots some of the bill and you only end up paying about $5000 per year which you don't pay until you finish your course and are earning over approx $39000, and then you get an extra 3% tax taken out of your earnings until your uni fees are paid back- and you can go to any uni (Like Monash Uni, Sydney Uni etc.) providing you've got the grades to get into your course.

I'm interested in how much you guys in the US have to pay! I never realised how easy it is for us to go to uni here.

CA

Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well here in the US the government pays for a portion of the state university's costs, and then we pay the rest. Where I go (the University of MN), it costs about 8-10,000 a year, and that's including books and fees (for me at least, it costs more if you live on campus).

I have nothing against my job-- I think after a while if you truly disliked your job, you'd quit and get a new one. At least, that is what I did.

I also need to say that even though some professions may appear to not be very job-marketable, it's usually because people assume that there won't be any, and then they head straight to grad school and end up with more debt and school payments. I have been doing a lot of searching and have found many job openings that have to do with my degree. It's just that I can't fathom why my relative would tell me that nursing is more suited for me, when I can't even balance a simple chemistry equation.

Upvote 0

kuntrygurl_26

Veteran
Feb 19, 2004
Louisiana
✟1,810.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am an LPN. I work in a neonatal newborn nursery and also on a post partum floor. yes sometimes it is hard taking care of the babies when they are sick but I love it. All of then arent sick, about 1/2 acutally are just healthy newborns but we also get those whom are sick. When i tell everyone what I do they tell me they couldn't do that. I love and one day hope to work in a pediatric ICU. I know it will be hard working with dieing children, but someone has to do it and I feel a calling to it.

If child phsycology is what you want to do then go for it. Never let anyone tell you, you cannot do something. Who cares what they think, its your career choice and you should chose something that you find rewarding. When I see the looks on the parents faces when I have saved the life of their child, that is what keeps me coming back each day!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreamboatAnnie

sleep-a-holic
Jan 16, 2007
✟15,952.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I so know where you are coming from--- I really think parents on my part have been the very reason I did NOT go into their field. They bugged me about it all my teen and college years. I don't even bother defending my career choice. I simply do what I am doing and if they have words about it I don't react anymore.
I'm sure in their own time they will see what I am doing is what I am meant to do. They despise the legal system.I think they feel all attorney's and judges are evil.

One thing,when I have a child. I will never do this to them.I'm making mental notes here---

Upvote 0