Jan 17, 2009
Visit site
✟11,055.00
Faith
Christian
YouTube Channel Video Devo

“The Rear-View Pitfall”
Isaiah 43:18-19 NIV
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.

I want you all to imagine a ridiculous scenario. Imagine not only yourself, but everyone else as well driving down the road with eyes focused on the rear-view mirror. How in the world would anyone ever see where they are going? It seems like a very insane thing to do, right? People would be smashing into each other constantly and it would be mass chaos. Sometimes traffic is still mass chaos, right?? Haha!

None of us would even consider keeping our eyes glued(figuratively speaking, of course!) to the mirror while driving. If we are always looking back behind us, we never will see what’s coming as we continue to drive down the road.

While this illustration obviously would be extremely hazardous to our safety and others around us, this is exactly how so many of us live our lives in our walk with God. Not only does Isaiah say to forget the past, but the Apostle Paul told us that as well! We are never to fully focus on what lies in the past. However, so many of us focus on things in our past and we can’t get past that. We dwell on it and it seems to come back to haunt us a lot.

I have a very bad habit of focusing on the past and all the dumb things I’ve done. The enemy constantly reminds me of what I’ve done and then I think those things define me. I often find myself thinking everyone else is smarter than me and I always do dumb things. Satan is really good at getting me to focus on my past and I’ve got to learn to not dwell on those things.

God reminds me that I am not dumb and that I am His child. He loves me and wants great things for my life and my future. What I need to do instead is laugh at myself and move on with life so that I can enjoy the bright future He has planned ahead.

How about you? Can you relate to any of these things I’m dealing with on a daily basis? Are you struggling as well to put the past behind and look straight ahead into the wonderful new things God has planned?

For so many of us, we need to end the rear-view pitfall and focus on all that God has in store for us for our future!

Reactions: mourningdove~