Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Recently I experienced a period of great consolation. After having considered my experience objectively (and under the guidance of my spiritual director), I have valid reason to believe that this was the work of the Holy Spirit, although I am not sure what to call it if that makes sense? Anointing? Baptism of the Holy Spirit? The fact that this was consolation was also confirmed by members of this forum. At a particular moment during this time of consolation, I experienced a vision that I believe was from the Holy Spirit. Since this occurrence happens very seldom to me, I have no reason to believe that I am schizophrenic or hallucinating, etc. I would prefer to keep the particular content of the vision to myself, but I believe it might or might not be a private revelation of the future. However, I am not 100% sure. I think that it would perhaps be very beneficial for me, if someone could interpret the vision for me (e.g. like Joseph did for pharaoh in Genesis). I have prayed for wisdom but I am none the wiser in this matter. Who should I turn to for interpretation of (what I believe to be) personal private revelation? A priest told me about the Carmelites for these sort of experiences? Truth be told, even though this vision filled me with awe and joy, I am slightly concerned (I will explain why here). After I had this vision, things sort of went back to normal in my life. Since I was filled with expectation about this experience being the precedent to a great personal breakthrough, I was disappointed when I saw that nothing had changed in my life. As such, to express my disappointment, I relapsed into old patterns of sin and sensuality. Now I am worried that the anointing over my life has been taken away from me, because of the fact that I chose to indulge in sensuality and sin after having an experience like this, if you know what I mean? Do I have reason to be worried? Or should I just carry on as usual? Have a blessed day and thank you for reading this far.

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

The idea that we should examine and question all things is good because we are often told all sorts of things and make all sorts of assumptions. That which is true will stand up to examination and testing. Particularly worthy of questioning are things we experience and give us feelings. We live in a society that largely determines truth by how one feels. We know the heart is deceptive

Jer_17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

So one should be especially skeptical about those things that seem to be validated by how we feel.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Recently I experienced a period of great consolation. After having considered my experience objectively (and under the guidance of my spiritual director), I have valid reason to believe that this was the work of the Holy Spirit, although I am not sure what to call it if that makes sense? Anointing? Baptism of the Holy Spirit? The fact that this was consolation was also confirmed by members of this forum. At a particular moment during this time of consolation, I experienced a vision that I believe was from the Holy Spirit. Since this occurrence happens very seldom to me, I have no reason to believe that I am schizophrenic or hallucinating, etc. I would prefer to keep the particular content of the vision to myself, but I believe it might or might not be a private revelation of the future. However, I am not 100% sure. I think that it would perhaps be very beneficial for me, if someone could interpret the vision for me (e.g. like Joseph did for pharaoh in Genesis). I have prayed for wisdom but I am none the wiser in this matter. Who should I turn to for interpretation of (what I believe to be) personal private revelation? A priest told me about the Carmelites for these sort of experiences? Truth be told, even though this vision filled me with awe and joy, I am slightly concerned (I will explain why here). After I had this vision, things sort of went back to normal in my life. Since I was filled with expectation about this experience being the precedent to a great personal breakthrough, I was disappointed when I saw that nothing had changed in my life. As such, to express my disappointment, I relapsed into old patterns of sin and sensuality. Now I am worried that the anointing over my life has been taken away from me, because of the fact that I chose to indulge in sensuality and sin after having an experience like this, if you know what I mean? Do I have reason to be worried? Or should I just carry on as usual? Have a blessed day and thank you for reading this far.
Galatians 5 is helpful when in doubt. There are fruits we gain when we walk with His Holy Spirit daily. There are also gifts that are imparted to each individual for the sole purpose of edifying The Body of Christ. Test all things. Blessings.

Galatians 5
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is 59:1-3 does say that sin "makes a separation between you and God" so then turning to rebellion does not "Build your relationship to God" it degrades it according to scripture.

1 Cor 7:19 says "what matters is keeping the commandments of God"

And in 1 John 2:1 we have "these things I write to you that you sin not"

But 1 John 2:1 goes on to say "but if anyone sins we have an Advocate with the Father"

Jesus Christ is our High Priest in heaven -- "seated at the right hand of the Father" as Heb 8:1-5 reminds us. And Paul says "this is the main point" in Heb 8:1.

Your job is not to second guess just how bad your sinful practices are - but rather to seek God in whole hearted repentance and full submission to His Word and His Will. Let God handle the details. "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9

Matt 7 is a good example of place where Jesus tells us that He is not fooled by words - but rather He sees the life and that a "tree is known by its fruits" not necessarily its "claims".

If one says he trusts in God - is to "walk as Christ walked" 1 John 2. Looking to Christ we may daily have to fall at the foot of the Cross and claim both repentance and forgiveness as a Gift from God in the Gospel.

====================

As for your questions about a vision.

In Gal 1:6-9 Paul said "6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel, 7 which is not just another account; but there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, even now I say again: if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!"

In other words - if what you find in a vision is not in line with scripture (that is to say if you find that it contradicts the teaching of scripture) then that vision/dream should not be accepted.

1 John 4 says to "TEST the spirits" - see IF it is of God or not.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus had His apostles there with Him while He did things; but, even though they were with Jesus Himself, still they could sin. But that did not mean they lost Jesus!

So, you need how God corrects your character so you can be more stable and more and more maturely blessed.

It is good how you know those things are wrong. Thank God that you know this, and trust Him to have you do better.

When I interpret a vision, I look for how the contents can be symbolic of a Bible lesson about how to live as a child of God. I do not try to use interpretation to foretell someone's future!

It does not have to be the real interpretation. It could be a trick, even. But I can use it with a good meaning.

For example, let's say the devil gives you a vision with the sun smiling at you and bouncing around. Satan could mean that to praise you for sensual activities.

But that sun could symbolize how God is pleased while we do good things in gentleness and humility of love. And He sees us and shines light of love to help us see the way love has us seeing things.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is 59:1-3 does say that sin "makes a separation between you and God" so then turning to rebellion does not "Build your relationship to God" it degrades it according to scripture.

1 Cor 7:19 says "what matters is keeping the commandments of God"

And in 1 John 2:1 we have "these things I write to you that you sin not"

But 1 John 2:1 goes on to say "but if anyone sins we have an Advocate with the Father"

Jesus Christ is our High Priest in heaven -- "seated at the right hand of the Father" as Heb 8:1-5 reminds us. And Paul says "this is the main point" in Heb 8:1.

Your job is not to second guess just how bad your sinful practices are - but rather to seek God in whole hearted repentance and full submission to His Word and His Will. Let God handle the details. "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness" 1 John 1:9

Matt 7 is a good example of place where Jesus tells us that He is not fooled by words - but rather He sees the life and that a "tree is known by its fruits" not necessarily its "claims".

If one says he trusts in God - is to "walk as Christ walked" 1 John 2. Looking to Christ we may daily have to fall at the foot of the Cross and claim both repentance and forgiveness as a Gift from God in the Gospel.

====================

As for your questions about a vision.

In Gal 1:6-9 Paul said "6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel, 7 which is not just another account; but there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, even now I say again: if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!"

In other words - if what you find in a vision is not in line with scripture (that is to say if you find that it contradicts the teaching of scripture) then that vision/dream should not be accepted.

1 John 4 says to "TEST the spirits" - see IF it is of God or not.
I already knew this. But I am speaking about potential private revelation, which by definition does not contradict public revelation, as established by the Church, Tradition and the Bible.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I sometimes feel the same way.

What I would suggest is to lean into grace. None of us are perfect. Peter sinned even after the Holy Spirit used him in very powerful ways. Peter was a hot and cold kind of guy. He was an extremist at heart. When he did good, he did amazing things. When he sinned, he sinned gravely.

I am currently awaiting what supernatural thing God will do in my life next.

Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the parable of the sower and Christ’s explanation of it. Then read Psalms 89 and listen to what the spirit says. The Father is talking about his Son and those in his dynasty, the church. Maybe that will help you to understand.

Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read the parable of the sower and Christ’s explanation of it. Then read Psalms 89 and listen to what the spirit says. The Father is talking about his Son and those in his dynasty, the church. Maybe that will help you to understand.
I read Psalm 89 just now. (Already read parable of the sower previously, so I know what it says).
No, sorry, I do not understand.
He's talking about King David. And what fascinates me is that God blessed King David beyond measure. Yet it seems as if he has cursed me, if I look at my personal history and the tapestry of my life?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan2255

Nov 1, 2023
Toledo
✟11,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All understanding comes from the Father. A person can tell you something and another can come along again but it is God that gives the increase. The Appstle wrote that once we are in Christ we no longer man teach you anything the Holy Spirit you received will teach you all truth. With that said let me do some watering. Remember the apostle wrote if you are without chastisement you’re a bastard and not a child. Psalms 89 brings this out. The Father does not remove his grace but will chastise you if need be. As for the sower Christ gives us the answer to it. Out of the four hearers only one had recieved the Holy Spirit. Examine their character then see in the following scriptures who he calls his brothers referring back to the sower.

Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums