• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Having problems with panic attacks before church.

DAVERONE#1

Sep 21, 2023
Middle/Eastern Tennessee
✟7,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know this was talked about in the Mental Health forum but it is read only. And I could really use some suggestions from other Christians. I suffer from Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from a really messed childhood. I won't go into the details but it was my father, mother, and two brothers. They were/are all suffered from severe mental illness. I have been through a lot of therapy. And on medication for anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. The thing is that I have actually been doing well for quite awhile. Not saying their have not been some bad bouts, their have been. But something strange has been going on for awhile.
We moved to a new area that my wife and I love. And found a church we love. So what's the problem? I am having severe panic attacks before church. Heart rate and blood pressure through the roof. Nausea, even feeling like I am going to pass out sometimes. Which I don't understand because I have been a believer for a long time. I have taught Sunday school classes, served for awhile years ago, and love the Lord and His people. So I don't know why this is happening. The only thing that has changed is about a year ago my son passed away from a reaction to a medication he was on.
It was pretty horrible obviously. With that my CPTSD flared up something awful. Nightmares, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, all the things that go with it. I am seeing a Christian therapist. Doing my medicine. But still having trouble going to a place I love and want to serve. I don't feel like I am made at God over what happened. But I am a bit lost over the way my body is reacting with panic attacks. Any help would be appreciated.

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to church anyway? Is it stressful while there? God will not forget your works, in the past and at now. My body reacts to stress and fear too. I take mental health days but often go anyway. I deal with it as best I can and sometimes go home early. At church I get comfortable and keep my thoughts positive by taking thoughts captive as in 2Cor 10:3-5. Helps me stay calm. I have something similar but don’t know if they are panic attacks. Make the attempt to go and maybe and praying it will smooth out for you. The Lord should help.

• Agree
Reactions: EnriqueNye
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You may need help with 'spiritual problems' and spiritual healing from some minister/pastor, you may need to seek a church that deals with those problems, like they believe in being filled with the Holy spirit, and seek Gods power.
Those problems exist.

Upvote 0