Buffalo, NY
✟268,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Your question may be a better fit for Request for Christian Advice. At any rate, I don't feel qualified to answer your question since I haven't experienced having a narcissistic parent. Since it's still in the Prayer Wall, for the moment though, I pray that God would grant you wisdom to know how to deal with having a narcissistic parent. I pray that God would deliver you from this difficult situation.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,779.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If you just put up with abuse, you’re not honoring your parent. Instead, it could be that you are being an enabler.

If your mother told you to jump off of the roof, you wouldn’t think you had to do that in order to honor her. So why do you have to put up with other abusive things? There is a way to disengage gracefully.

You might want to check out some videos on narcissism, if you have them done so already. See the ones on Gray rock. Videos by Dr. Les Carter and Dr. Ramani have been very helpful to many. The comments may also give some real support and understanding.

I pray you’ll be led to freedom from abuse.

I will add one other thing that is my special concern about narcissistic people. I have heard one person diagnosed with narcissism personality disorder saying that in secret he would torment animals.

I have also seen posts under videos about narcissism - which also runs in my family - where people have talked about instances where they knew narcissists were abusing pets.

And since they wear a mask, they may actually present themselves as being great animal lovers. So, I’m just saying, Maybe be aware of that issue too.

Upvote 0

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟864,892.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Praying for you. I do not believe you need to be in a relationship with your parents if they are abusive to you, it's the same as an abusive marriage. You leave until they change, if they change. God bless, God cares.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟458,490.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you and know what it's like, having to deal with this myself. Ephesians 6:1 says to honour the parents that are in the Lord. Narcissistic mother or father is not in the Lord, so you can't honour them, even though they love to lord this commandment over you, it's not that simple. Colossians 3:21 says for fathers not to provoke their children to anger, lest they be discouraged. So many abusive parents out there are way out of line, thinking they are doing right by abusing young and older children. God takes all of this very seriously.

There's lots of information on the internet about this and once you realize it's more of a spiritual battle than a physical one, keep asking the Holy Spirit for guidance. Be sure to take care of yourself first, before anyone else. Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. A person who wants to wear you down like that, is obviously not of God.

Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you just put up with abuse, you’re not honoring your parent. Instead, it could be that you are being an enabler.

If your mother told you to jump off of the roof, you wouldn’t think you had to do that in order to honor her. So why do you have to put up with other abusive things? There is a way to disengage gracefully.

You might want to check out some videos on narcissism, if you have them done so already. See the ones on Gray rock. Videos by Dr. Les Carter and Dr. Ramani have been very helpful to many. The comments may also give some real support and understanding.

I pray you’ll be led to freedom from abuse.

I will add one other thing that is my special concern about narcissistic people. I have heard one person diagnosed with narcissism personality disorder saying that in secret he would torment animals.

I have also seen posts under videos about narcissism - which also runs in my family - where people have talked about instances where they knew narcissists were abusing pets.

And since they wear a mask, they may actually present themselves as being great animal lovers. So, I’m just saying, Maybe be aware of that issue too.
Thanks,LoricaLady.Sorry it's taken some time to reply to your post but you speak perfect sense.
I have since employed " low contact" and " yellow rock" in this relationship.So far it's working well. Praise God!

Upvote 0