Day 16, Proverbs Chapter16

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Proverbs 16
Everyone read Chapter 16 if it is the 16th day of the month today. Come back and give us your thoughts....Tishri1 :wave:

Proverbs 16New International Version (NIV)
16 To humans belong the plans of the heart,
but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.

2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.

3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
and he will establish your plans.

4 The Lord works out everything to its proper end—
even the wicked for a day of disaster.

5 The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord evil is avoided.

7 When the Lord takes pleasure in anyone’s way,
he causes their enemies to make peace with them.

8 Better a little with righteousness
than much gain with injustice.

9 In their hearts humans plan their course,
but the Lord establishes their steps.

10 The lips of a king speak as an oracle,
and his mouth does not betray justice.

11 Honest scales and balances belong to the Lord;
all the weights in the bag are of his making.

12 Kings detest wrongdoing,
for a throne is established through righteousness.

13 Kings take pleasure in honest lips;
they value the one who speaks what is right.

14 A king’s wrath is a messenger of death,
but the wise will appease it.

15 When a king’s face brightens, it means life;
his favor is like a rain cloud in spring.

16 How much better to get wisdom than gold,
to get insight rather than silver!

17 The highway of the upright avoids evil;
those who guard their ways preserve their lives.

18 Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed
than to share plunder with the proud.

20 Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,[a]
and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.

21 The wise in heart are called discerning,
and gracious words promote instruction.[b]

22 Prudence is a fountain of life to the prudent,
but folly brings punishment to fools.

23 The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent,
and their lips promote instruction.[c]

24 Gracious words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

25 There is a way that appears to be right,
but in the end it leads to death.

26 The appetite of laborers works for them;
their hunger drives them on.

27 A scoundrel plots evil,
and on their lips it is like a scorching fire.

28 A perverse person stirs up conflict,
and a gossip separates close friends.

29 A violent person entices their neighbor
and leads them down a path that is not good.

30 Whoever winks with their eye is plotting perversity;
whoever purses their lips is bent on evil.

31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor;
it is attained in the way of righteousness.

32 Better a patient person than a warrior,
one with self-control than one who takes a city.

33 The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.

Footnotes:
  1. Proverbs 16:20 Or whoever speaks prudently finds what is good
  2. Proverbs 16:21 Or words make a person persuasive
  3. Proverbs 16:23 Or prudent / and make their lips persuasive
New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright ©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much better to get wisdom than gold,
to get insight rather than silver!

17 The highway of the upright avoids evil;
those who guard their ways preserve their lives.
these two verses cant be separated really .:)

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Poster0

Aug 20, 2015
✟13,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prosperity and Judgment.

This proverb below seems to be saying that if we don't judge ourselves properly then we have not weighed our self on a just scale. IT also seems to say that we need the Lord to weigh our heart for us. This reminds me of Hebrews 4:12. This proverbs scripture also reminds me about Mathew 7:1-2, and Luke 6:37-38 below. These two gospel scriptures are actually saying the same thing, and its basically just two different versions of the same words that Christ spoke in is sermon on the mount. I believe the Mathew scripture can help us better understand the Luke scripture, and this is true of other Luke scriptures as well.

Prosperity preachers use this gospel scripture to say that if we give money then it will be given back to us in abundance. However this is not what the scripture is really saying. Its talking about how we judge ourselves and others. WE will be judged with the same judgment we use on others. What prosperity preachers say may and may not be true, but i know that its not what this scripture is teaching us, and to use it for prosperity preaching seems to take it out of context, in my opinion.. Its better to focus on its true meaning instead of focusing on financial prosperity.

Proverbs 16:2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.

11 Honest scales and balances belong to the Lord;
all the weights in the bag are of his making.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Matthew 7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Luke 6:37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
This verse stuck out at me
3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
We all make plans but we sometimes forget to ask God what our ideal plan should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pro 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged. 20 He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good. 21 The sweetness of the lips increaseth learning. 32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 16, these verses stood out for me:

verse 7: "When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him."

verse 13:"Righteous lips are the delight of kings; and they love him that speaketh right."

verse 18: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."

verse 20: "He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he."

verse 7 especially reminds me of extraordinary favor that God bestows on those who delight in Him.

Precious.

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Proverbs 16:28- The truth of this passage became abundantly clear to me a few years ago. I saw first hand how one person could not only spread strife but destroy other peoples friendships. It was a very rough road for a while.

I love the beginning of this chapter v.1-9.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find that these are my favorites out of the 31 verses.

8 Better a little with righteousness than much gain with injustice.

19 Better to be lowly in spirit along with the oppressed than to share plunder with the proud.

25 There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.

I noticed that many of these verses in this chapter contain 'body parts'. I wonder if that's significant?

Heart
5 The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.
9 In their hearts humans plan their course,but the Lord establishes their steps.
16 To humans belong the plans of the heart,but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.
21 The wise in heart are called discerning,and gracious words promote instruction.

Lips
10 The lips of a king speak as an oracle, and his mouth does not betray justice.
13 Kings take pleasure in honest lips; they value the one who speaks what is right.
23 The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent,and their lips promote instruction.
27 A scoundrel plots evil, and on their lips it is like a scorching fire.

Mouth
10 The lips of a king speak as an oracle, and his mouth does not betray justice.
16 To humans belong the plans of the heart,but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.

Eyes
30 Whoever winks with their eye is plotting perversity;whoever purses their lips is bent on evil.

Bones
24 Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Hair
31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor;it is attained in the way of righteousness.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 16:3
I try to remember God while I work and think about Him and how I act in His eyes. If I do something wrong I trust Him to correct me, just like a father would his child.

Proverbs 16:30
I've seen this happen time and time again. Thank God for discernment of the truth even with people. He's truly kept me safe when I have listened.

Proverbs 16:32
I'm getting a new handle of anger. My family suffers a severity of it, I must have known it early on and have controlled it better. However, it seemed easier back then than since being an adult. It's as we haven't truly grown up but grew up with a sense of what we should be like, when deep down in our hearts, we want to act a certain way that tends to hurt others. It's like the child in us acts out and rebels against what we've been taught.
For example, I have heard this phrase over again: "I'm an adult, I can do what I want!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 16, verse 6 stood out for me:

"By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil."

Here we see the "fear of the Lord" mentioned again. And what is being said is PROFOUND in repeats a recurring "theme", if you will, throughout the Bible, and that is, that the "fear of the Lord" is a defense against being snared/entangled in the mires of evil, because the one who "fears the Lord", "eschews" evil, just as Job did.

eschews = to abstain or keep away from; shun; avoid.

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." ~Job 1:1

"And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?" ~Job 1:8

" And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." ~Job 2:3

It is through the "fear of the Lord" that one has it in their heart to "eschew" evil, and that is because, along with the "fear of the Lord", there is a LOVE for the Lord. This one LOVES God more than he loves evil. There is not room for both, for to love One, one MUST hate the other. They cannot reside in the same heart.

"No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." ~Luke 16:13

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
b3b2794d9cdc5d67b25c4a712f8a7bd4.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 16, this verse stood out for me. It's almost like clockwork, in that one full of pride and haughtiness and being puffed up is like someone cursing their own self and are blind to it, and their fall is devastating, because when one falls in this manner they appear to recede into obscurity.

Tragic.

prideprov1618.jpg

Upvote 0