Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In reading Proverbs 16, this verse stood out for me:

This is sooooooooo true.

'Tis not a good thing to be-eth pride-ful-eth.

prideprov1618.jpg

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Proverbs 17:

Hahahaaaa! This is hilarious.

What it seems to be saying, is that God will extend grace and favor to someone who keeps his mouth shut rather than say something utter foolish, in that the one keeping his mouth shut will be interpreted to be very wise and will thusly gain favor with others.

LOVE it! ^_^

ca075af2d099ef7538f6355fda5b5d79.jpg

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
16848.jpg

This was the verse I gave my young son Martin many years ago when he was about 9 years old and a lad at school wanted to fight him, Martin was terrified.
He went to school the next day claiming the verse as his own, with his Bible in his rucksack and having prayed, the two of us. I prayed all day and when he came home after school his eyes were sparkling...the boy had run up to Martin and said...he didn't want to fight but wanted to be his best friend! What a wonderful answer to prayer, for my son and for me, Thank you Lord, Praise the Lord!

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
16848.jpg

This was the verse I gave my young son Martin many years ago when he was about 9 years old and a lad at school wanted to fight him, Martin was terrified.
He went to school the next day claiming the verse as his own, with his Bible in his rucksack and having prayed, the two of us. I prayed all day and when he came home after school his eyes were sparkling...the boy had run up to Martin and said...he didn't want to fight but wanted to be his best friend! What a wonderful answer to prayer, for my son and for me, Thank you Lord, Praise the Lord!

:heart: How precious is THAT??!!

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 16:7 When the Lord takes pleasure in anyone’s way,
he causes their enemies to make peace with them.

I saw this one in the news feed today. I wonder how to reconcile it with Christian persecution. Surely it cant mean that our enemies will live at peace with us if we are right with God, can it? HOw is that so?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
yes, W2L, I understand that and you are correct; Proverbs are wisdom for godly living, King Solomon wrote them as advice to the people of Israel.

Concerning this verse 7, People generally are much more likely to show kindness in return to a person who they genuinely believe is not a threat to them but a help.

It is my understanding that the lesson is to please God in our relationships, not to be 'nice' to people so they will like us. God wants us to put our energies into pleasing him, transforming us into his likeness. Even if our enemies don't respond the way we would wish, we haven't lost anything in one way, as ultimately he is the only one that matters.

I am sure that the Lord delights in the prayers of children and blessed my little son, all those years ago, as he put his faith into practice and held on tight to God. This was a request in prayer that was answered, based on Proverbs 16 verse 7, I accept it in faith and thank and praise God for it.

I have no doubt that you are right, there are other situations where it could not be applied in quite the same way, it just isn't a perfect world and Satan does cause a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yes, W2L, I understand that and you are correct; Proverbs are wisdom for godly living, King Solomon wrote them as advice to the people of Israel.

Concerning this verse 7, People generally are much more likely to show kindness in return to a person who they genuinely believe is not a threat to them but a help.

It is my understanding that the lesson is to please God in our relationships, not to be 'nice' to people so they will like us. God wants us to put our energies into pleasing him, transforming us into his likeness. Even if our enemies don't respond the way we would wish, we haven't lost anything in one way, as ultimately he is the only one that matters.

I am sure that the Lord delights in the prayers of children and blessed my little son, all those years ago, as he put his faith into practice and held on tight to God. This was a request in prayer that was answered, based on Proverbs 16 verse 7, I accept it in faith and thank and praise God for it.

I have no doubt that you are right, there are other situations where it could not be applied in quite the same way, it just isn't a perfect world and Satan does cause a lot of trouble.

I'm not right or wrong. I'm only pondering it.

When our way pleases the Lord, the world will hate and persecute us. That's what the NT says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.