David Blaine - Magician or devil's helper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
soulsisterclaire said:
This guy has also frozen himself in a block of ice right in the middle of New York City for all to gawk at for days. He survived when he was not supposed to.
He wasn't frozen in a block of ice. He surrounded himself with ice, that is true, but he wasn't frozen in it.

Upvote 0

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
erichilliard said:
You guys are crazy. David Blaine does not have black magic working for him. All of his illusions are slight of hand and there are perfectly good explanations for all of them. I do many of the same illusions, and trust me, he is doing things in a natural way.
The natural way? If he is doing things the natural way then why is he fooling people into believing he has the power to survive in ice? Why is he making his survival a public display? Some might say for the purpose of entertainment. While it is very entertaining to watch it is also ominous. People have been freaked out by what he does. People have been confused to think his magic goes beyond normal explination. Therin lies the danger.

Upvote 0
water_ripple said:
The natural way? If he is doing things the natural way then why is he fooling people into believing he has the power to survive in ice? Why is he making his survival a public display? Some might say for the purpose of entertainment. While it is very entertaining to watch it is also ominous. People have been freaked out by what he does. People have been confused to think his magic goes beyond normal explination. Therin lies the danger.

That is the whole purpose of magic. To make people think that it goes beyond normal explination, even though it does not. I use magic as a ministry. It is amazing how people can believe something is supernatural and it is not, yet the real supernatural they play off as a magic trick. I try to get people to think along those lines, and challenge them to believe in the real truth. If I do a secular show, then it is simply for entertainment, and can still be used, when people approach you after a show.

Upvote 0

Techbot

blah, blah, blah...
Sep 1, 2003
Houston,TX area
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Smokescreens and mirrors people...smokescreens and mirrors. It's all stage tricks and slight of hand. If someone can honestly sit there and think "WOW!! HE'S MAGICK!!! He made that plane disappear!!" then they don't need to be in the adult seats. True, some of it does look real, but its all illusion. To try to say its anything else is silly.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that the whole line of thinking that he's of satan is a bit over the top. David Blaine has done nothing that David Copperfield hasn't done (a few years back...or Houdini...a few more years back). It's all illusions and taught through over priced videos for sale all over the internet. He does card tricks, coin tricks...yeah, that levitation thing is pretty crazy, but it's not of the devil. And he's made it quite well known that all of his tricks are nothing but that...TRICKS. He's been practicing since he was a child (he's in his 30's now, I believe) and these are the fruits of his hard work.

As far as that ice trick, well, come on, how is that much different than people who push the limits of survival in other ways...climbing Mt. Everest, or HALO skydiving, or whatever. People go to all sorts of extremes (and are quite public about it) but that doesn't make it evil.

I find it really cool to watch and also I've always been impressed with the fact that he's not charging outrageous amounts of money for people to come and see his show. In fact, it seems that he goes out of his way to entertain the homeless, or those in poor communities, or street kids with no real goals in life. Don't get me wrong, I know he's got millions, but I think his brand of 'street magic' is a lot more commendable than some Las Vegas performers who charge $60 a seat to sell out a show.

Anyway, sorry I went off into a bit of a rant, but I just find the idea that he's involved in some kind of evil brand of magic way out there.

Love, Heather

Upvote 0
David Blaine evil? I am sorry folks but I had to laugh at that one. There are perfectly good explanations for ever type of magic trick out there and I do not believe any sane adult out there truly believes someone has the power to float in the air or make the statue of liberty disappear.

:D

I personally agree with whoever said fear of the devil can cause delusions. We should be more fearful of the power of our almighty God than Satan.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Folks, everything David Blain does is a hoax, a trick, nothing more. The levitation, the mind reading - everything is an illusion and has nothing at all to do with real sorcery. TV stations that were not airing the magic specials have already come out with a number of specials "exposing" what magicians like Blain and Copperfield have been doing. I remember seeing Blain levitate for the first time and I swore that it had to be for real because I had no other explaination. Then I saw a recreation of the same trick showing how the illusion worked (film splicing, rope 'n pulley system, and other technical slight of hand.) and I smacked myself in the head for actually thinking it was real;

Wondering why Blain hasn't done any street magic specials in awhile? Answer: all of his "magic" (hidden gadgets, pre-recorded camera work) has already been exposed to the masses. Until he comes up with some new stuff, he'll be reduced to "acts of indurance" and nonesense like that. If I saw Blain try the same tricks again I'd yawn and change the channel. He's a fantastic illusionist, but fortunately he's no Merlin.

Same with the TV psychics; of course you think they're for real - the production companies are pumping millions of dollars into the show's production to make you think they're the genuine articles. But once again, there have already been TV exposes revealing all their little tricks and showing just how phony they really are.

Any of you who think these magicians and psychics are actually tapping into the powers of darkness are really falling for some masterfully crafted popcorn TV. And that's exactly what the TV execs want you to do! :D

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
What's so wonderful about it is how brazen it is.

Anyone could do David Copperfield's levitating across the grand canyon trick. Anyone with a film lab with bluescreening techniques and a bunch of technicians under a lucrative contract not to reveal how it was done.

It really is that barefaced! It works on human credulity. The magician tells you these people surrounding the helicopter/elephant/QE2 are just members of the public randomly selected, rather than out of work actors making a quick buck, and the audience believes it....

Upvote 0
erichilliard said:
For sure Jesus was not a magician. He did miracles, and magicians do tricks. Big difference. There was a nice article on this a couple of months ago in the Christian Conjurer.

I also believe David Blaine is a magician and not satan or anything else. But didn't he supposedly healed a dead bird with his hands? People concider that a miracle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pr0x1mo

Dec 24, 2003
✟125.00
Faith
Christian
soulsisterclaire said:
You may have seen this guy doing all sorts of Magic tricks on public TV. He does what I consider "real" magic. The scary kind. Of the devil in my opinion.

Devil? How so?

He can levitate(sp?) The camera shows him standing up and all of a sudden he is off of the ground still in a standing position. He is not jumping and it really appears real. They show witnesses on the street freaking out. Some actually run from him. They even have some sports star witness the levitation(can not remember who).

It's call an illusion.

This guy has also frozen himself in a block of ice right in the middle of New York City for all to gawk at for days. He survived when he was not supposed to. I heard he also buried himself alive and survived. I think he is planning to jump off of a building next or something equally insane.

Didn't jesus do something equally insane? Something about 40 days and 40 nights?

Upvote 0

Pr0x1mo

Dec 24, 2003
✟125.00
Faith
Christian
soulsisterclaire said:
I don't believe that his magic is a "slight of hand"

Most of it is.

or due to any training, he is only in his 20's after all.

He trains a lot. What does his age have to do with anything? Have you ever seen the amazing feets lil shaolin monks do? Oh no, that's not from training, it's just the work of the devil.

How do you levitate by training?

Easy, you train yourself to do it properly into making people believe you are levitating. It's call an illusion. I know how to do it, it's really easy.

I remember reading in the Bible somewhere that magic is of the devil, whether it is "real" or not does not matter.

LOL wow, Oh yeah, magic, or illusionist are the devil!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.