David Blaine - Magician or devil's helper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
Well, JIP, regardless weather you care to believe or not,some people have what is known as a sixth sence.
So Im told. But somehow or the other, folks with that "sixth sense" never seem to be able to hit the floor with their hats when it comes down to putting it to the proof. There's always something hindering them, bad vibes or spiritual wheewhaws or the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter is aligned with Mars or some such jabberwocky. Oh yeah, they can do great wonders when there ain't anybody looking, but it all shuts down when it comes time for put-up or shut-up. They can't/won't do either.

HOW DARE YOU!
What, tell the unvarnished truth? I'm just like that. I've always believed in calling a spade a shovel whether folks liked it or not.

That is harldy christian behavior
Propagating superstitious bunk would be better, eh? I don't think so.

and is frankly hurtful
I hope it's hurtful to the con games and scams run by "psychics" and similar crooks. God hates what they do, as Scripture tells us in no uncertain terms. Why should I cut 'em any slack when our Creator doesn't?

and very, very ignorant.
Ignorant? OK, enlighten me. Tell me of any controlled studies where "psychics" have ever been able to do anything that they claimed they could. I don't mean "somebody said..." "evidence", I mean geniune "let's see if the old boy can really do it" impartial studies. Good luck on that project, because the next time it happens will make a grand total of one. Set down in controlled cicumstances where the possibility of cheating is eliminated, "psychics" and other grifters of their ilk fail 100% of the time.

As I said, when somebody claims they can do something that seems to me to fly in the face of plain reason, they're gonna have to show me before I believe it. In the case of "psychics" what I've been shown is that almost 100% of them are frauds, and the small remainder are simply self-deluded. If you have evidence to the contrary, be good enough to share it. Otherwise I'll hold to my present opinion.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
And you are so wrong, there is evidence through out the bible of people sencing things, psychicly speaking.
I don't see a single instance of people "sensing things". God gives some people infomation, and He does so in a variety of ways. It doesn't appear to be based at all on any "sixth sense" that those people had, it seems to be related solely to the fact that God is dealing directly with them to accomplish some purpose or the other.

Pick up a bible and start reading!
If I'm looking for something to confirm "psychic" blather I'd better begin in the 3rd chapter of Jude.

Who are you to pass such harsh judgment?!
I'm a Christian with a working brain and the inclination to use it. Who are you to ask me to believe in or sanction something that God clearly condemns?

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ebonyjane said:
Mr. Blaine is a master at the art of distraction in some cases.
Yes, but actually he is in all cases.

ebonyjane said:
But explain killing a fly, holding it in his palm staring at it and it comes back to life and flys away, infront of a group of skeptical NYC firefighters who were dumbfounded.
Actually, that was one of the tricks that was explained in one of the exposes. Jipsah nailed it; Blaine used a frozen fly. The magician in the expose I saw did exactly as Blaine did; "acted" like he snatched a fly out of the air, pulled out a slightly frozen fly that looked dead, and waited a few seconds before it regained it's senses and and flew off. Of course the people watching the spectical never saw what the magician did and they were shocked out of their pants, but the guy later explained everything he did to fool them.

ebonyjane said:
I am not talking about levitation or card tricks. I am talking about the Dawn thing. The watch in the jewlery store, which was closed.
I don't remember the Dawn thing, but the jewlery store illusion is actually a common trick among magicians. You can even go to this site and buy an ebook that explains how to do it yourself: http://www.buyselltrades.com/auction/detail.asp?id=54074&bigpic=0

ebonyjane said:
or when The guy picks up an empty beer can infront of two picnicers then it starts to fill up infront of them, suddenly in his hands is a full, unopened beer can. Infront of these shocked people.

Again, another common trick, one which can be learned by you or I by going to this site and purchasing the 'how to' material: http://www.1streetmagic.com/david_blaine/effectvertigo.htm

ebonyjane said:
I don't want to debate weather or not he is a fraud or not.

He's not a fraud - he's a very good professional illusiionist. But what he is not is a conjuror of supernatural powers.

I've even seen some other street magicians review his work online and grumble that he's not even all that original with his magic (since most of it can be learned by purchasing the secrets on the web), and yet he's become known as a "great" magician and TV personality. They don't seem to have much respect for his craft.

So as you can see, Jane, Blaine is not the amazing diviner you think he is. Even his most incredible stunts are common fodder in illusionist circles and can be purchased online by any amatuer magician for your viewing pleasure.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.