Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Please, no eu spamming.

And no, there is no magic in the big bang theory.

Who me? I didn't say a word about anything other than a topic where supposed "science" becomes utterly indistinguishable from 'dark magic'. :)

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,157,365.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Like many others here, I suspect, I am disturbed by the evidence of relatively widespread ignorance of science as well as, perhaps more sinisterly, the outright distrust of the findings of science. In this regard, I wonder about a "critical mass" effect - if enough people believe enough wacky things, they need no longer feel ashamed of their views and, yes, may even revel in their ignorance and off-kilter thinking. In short, if enough people believe wonky stuff, there is an illusion of "power in numbers": we can't all be wrong in thinking that global warming is a massive conspiracy, or that evolution violates the laws of thermodynamics - you name it.

Perhaps if we whittle away enough people from the herd of the ignorant, the rest of the herd will dissipate (since it would then be effectively below the critical mass).
Indeed, reading the climate change thread http://www.christianforums.com/thre...smashes-records.7947264/page-15#post-69648018
This is readily apparent:doh:

Upvote 0

Chris B

Old Newbie
Feb 15, 2015
UK
✟12,424.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Who worships science?

Human beings are capable of turning almost anything, even the most unsuitable or unlikely of objects/entities into a religion.
For science, suspect anyone who spells it "Science" and holds this quasi-deity beyond all question or critique in its pronouncements.
(see also "Vegan", "Evolution", and a range of other terms. I once met a teenager who had the internet as his object of exaltation, but that was many years ago.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And Arthur C. Clarke has and explanation for you in regards to rather uneducated people:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

http://www.clarkefoundation.org/about-sir-arthur/sir-arthurs-quotations/

To those without any science training at all today's science may look like magic. If you actually studied it you would see that it is just an application of the laws of nature.
I'm more interested in Adam Clarke than Arthur Clarke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Human beings are capable of turning almost anything, even the most unsuitable or unlikely of objects/entities into a religion.
Correct.

That's what they did with the Nehushtan, the serpent in the wilderness.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are witches in the Hebrews Bible, God for instance is said to have put a curse on the whole world. Each time a women delivers a baby, her pains are more severe due to the so called curse that God put on all women as the result of Eves sin.

There are only two curses in the Genesis creation myth and neither one are on the woman.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Like many others here, I suspect, I am disturbed by the evidence of relatively widespread ignorance of science as well as, perhaps more sinisterly, the outright distrust of the findings of science. In this regard, I wonder about a "critical mass" effect - if enough people believe enough wacky things, they need no longer feel ashamed of their views and, yes, may even revel in their ignorance and off-kilter thinking. In short, if enough people believe wonky stuff, there is an illusion of "power in numbers": we can't all be wrong in thinking that global warming is a massive conspiracy, or that evolution violates the laws of thermodynamics - you name it.

Perhaps if we whittle away enough people from the herd of the ignorant, the rest of the herd will dissipate (since it would then be effectively below the critical mass).

If you look at my sig, it comes from a great book called Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free. For those who have sigs turned off, it goes like this:

The three great premises of Idiot America, according to Charles P. Pierce:

Premise 1: Any theory is valid if it sells books, soaks up ratings, or otherwise moves units.
Premise 2: Anything can be true if someone says it loudly enough.
Premise 3: Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it.

Worshiping ignorance is not a new phenomenon, but the rise of television and the Internet has caused it to grow exponentially... combined with a society which has exchanged (not mistaken... exchanged) truth for popularity, and the results are more or less what you see around you.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are only two curses in the Genesis creation myth and neither one are on the woman.
On women going forward:

To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.

It was a genetic consequence of the sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,920,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Go on... soon you'll be telling us that none of them are...
I admitted to two threads of mine being jokes:
  1. The one about the Ark being a periscope.
  2. The one about Nero blaming Christians for reversing the earth's axis.
Remember, professor?

Upvote 0